A bizarre death occurred in the Kabukicho area of Shinjuku, Tokyo recently as a 22-year-old woman died after falling nine stories during a visit to the restroom. Although suicide hasn’t been entirely ruled out, this appears to be a case of highly unusual building practices as a door opening onto a sheer drop was also present in the room.
Dec 2, 2014
Regular readers of our site will no doubt be familiar with Mr. Sato, our intrepid Japanese reporter. Despite his tendency to pursue unusually zany exploits in the name of journalism, Mr. Sato also has a slightly more conventional side, and enjoys taking in the beautiful autumn scenery just like anybody else.
In fact, Mr. Sato was so impressed by his recent visit to Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden (新宿御苑) in the heart of Tokyo that he wanted to share his photos with you. So why don’t you grab a cup of tea, relax, and enjoy the dazzling colors of the park, all from the comfort of home!
Nov 26, 2014
There isn’t much to dislike about fall. The weather has finally turned to a comfortable temperature and the colors of the fallen leaves fill you with awe and playfulness. People and animals alike always enjoy the autumnal weather to its fullest as we all know what is to come, the “stay-at-home-under-the-kotatsu” cold of winter.
So while it lasts, enjoy some of the creative pictures of fall collected from all over Japan. Maybe it will inspire you to get outside and frolic around too.
No country does cute food better than Japan, and the latest trend in adorable edibles is fall hot pots stuffed with cute characters that look way too good to eat!
Just like it does every year, autumn brings red leaves, cooler temperatures, and a new season of TV shows to Japan. This is especially good news if you’re an anime fan, as tons of new series have debuted in the last few weeks.
As a matter of fact, this might be too much of a good thing, as there’s so much new anime available that it’s hard to find time to sample all of it. So if you don’t know where to start, you might want to consult a list of the hottest currently airing shows, made by the people who love the medium best: Japanese otaku.
Here at RocketNews24 we’re always on the lookout for cases where life meets art, whether it’s characters from video games spliced into real-life falling-over gifs, or animals hanging out with giant fluffy figures at Disneyland. So when we saw this video that’s been dubbed “the anime fall in real life”, we knew it was the one for us.
These two handball players ended up in an awkward position when they collided on the court. Unfortunately for them, the moment – as well as their amused reaction – was captured and replayed in slow motion all over the internet, giving teenage boys the world over plenty to think about and anime fans reason to believe that their preferred medium of entertainment isn’t quite so removed from reality after all…
Jul 5, 2014
The folks at Häagen-Dazs Japan clearly know they’re onto a good thing with their special-edition ice creams, and there seems to be no stopping their creativity. With Japonais, Rose and Sakura, and even Vegetable flavours all appearing within the last six months alone, there’s seemingly always something sweet on the horizon. And now, before summer has even had a chance to break in its beach sandals, the ice cream giant has unveiled three decidedly autumnal flavours.
Fall is in full swing and that means we’re all able to enjoy what this chilly season has to offer. Red and golden leaves, chestnuts, apples…all the things that remind us of autumn! For those with a little patience and some artistic ability, you can even create origami versions of these seasonal favorites. Take a look at the following eight origami designs and learn how to make them yourself!
October marks the beginning of the 2012 Fall kūru, or TV programming season, in Japan. In Japan, TV scheduling is divided into four three-month blocks called kūru rather than the yearly seasons of American television.
But like America’s seasons, the beginning is a chance for new shows to make it or break it with the viewers. In the case of anime, an online survey was held to ask “What new show are you most excited about this kūru?”
“Pyorin”, the cutest sweet in Nagoya, is rising in the ranks of local Nagoya specialties. Take the sound a baby chick makes, “piiiii piiiii piiiii” , and the word pudding, or purin in Japanese, put them together with a darling baby chick face in the shape of a pudding-like dessert, and you have pyorin! Read More
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine1
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough2
- Gotta buy ‘em all! Whimsicott Substitute Plush Toys have taken over Pokémon Centers in Japan!3
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it4
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time5
- “If you are eating chocolate, how do you know where to stop?” – Being Black in China 【Video】6
- Let’s take a tour of the best sushi in Tokyo’s Tsukiji Fish Market with Mr. Sato! (Part 1)7
- Seven things that surprise Japanese people working in foreign offices8
- Learn how to drink with Japanese people in this funny and informative YouTube series【Videos】9
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens3
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time4
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin5
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China6
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo7
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough8
- Creating your own custom etched glass is a lot simpler than you think9
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school6
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- “If you are eating chocolate, how do you know where to stop?” – Being Black in China 【Video】
- Let’s take a tour of the best sushi in Tokyo’s Tsukiji Fish Market with Mr. Sato! (Part 1)
- Seven things that surprise Japanese people working in foreign offices
- Learn how to drink with Japanese people in this funny and informative YouTube series【Videos】
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one
- Seriously unlucky Chinese man takes an actual arrow to the knee while doing laundry
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”
- Italian jazz pianist unleashes inner Ghibli fanboy, releases anime theme song album
- After the tears have dried, where is shamed politician Ryutaro Nonomura now?
- Don’t miss these painfully cute photos of lawless cats invading your privacy【Photos】
- Russian street turned into solid block of ice as water pipe bursts in northern town【Photos】
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin