On Tuesday evening, commuters at Urawa Station in Saitama Prefecture were in for a bit of a shock when an abandoned piece of corrugated cardboard suddenly burst into flames. The fire was soon extinguished by station attendants, but the question remains: what caused the mysterious incident?
- Master Blaster
Jun 18, 2014
China is home to one of the oldest civilizations in the world. While people in many parts of the world were still running from their own shadows, people there were busy developing tools and infrastructure. So, it comes as no surprise that the country is full of ancient traditions some of which live on to this day.
The traditions themselves, however, can be quite surprising as seen above. This practice is known as Huǒ liáo and involves lighting the patient on fire to provide soothing relief for whatever ails them. We saw this before when we came across a photo of a woman getting her eyes lit on fire, but let’s learn a little more about this old art.
Over the course of a year, we humans can accumulate a lot of mucky emotions. We inevitably forget the dangers that certain fiery passions, like anger and envy, can do to our psyches. In order to remind ourselves to retake control of these troublesome fires that burn within us, we must take a walk through physical flames and let the fear of literal fire burn away our emotional impurities.
At least, that’s the idea behind Fukugonji’s annual firewalking festival! Each year, on second Sunday of December, this Zen Buddhist temple in Aichi Prefecture invites all members of the public to step across their scorching coals and reclaim inner purity at the Fukugonji Akiba Grand Festival. This year, the festival promises to be particularly entertaining, as well as spiritual and somewhat scary, as one might expect from firewalking.
Currently the hot new phone on the block, Samsung’s Galaxy S4 is incredibly popular the world over. And as smartphones have become an integral part of everyday life, owing to their relatively short battery life, it’s nothing strange to see people tapping and swiping away at a game or text message while their phones charge, whether it’s the Galaxy S4 or an iPhone 5.
Though after reading this story, you might be less inclined to use your device when it’s plugged in.
Men and women have been known to do some extreme things in the name of health and beauty. Spas and salons around the world have attempted to sell all types of tonics and creams to relax muscles and make skin smoother for generations, but none of them can even come close to the beauty treatment depicted in a photo posted to Chinese message board tt.mop late last week.
Along with the caption, “My mom went to get her face done at the beauty salon so I went with her. What I saw… instantly shocked me… I couldn’t look,” this photo blew our minds. Although the daughter claims that she wasn’t able to look, she was seemingly able to take a pretty clear picture for us all to see.
This type of treatment is actually not as unique as you might think. Called Huǒ liáo (fire treatment) it is a widely practiced form of alternative therapy. Nevertheless it’s still pretty terrifying to look at.
- John Stuart Translations
Dec 29, 2012
With Tibetans continuing to set themselves ablaze in protest of oppressive rule by Chinese authorities, state media for Qinghai province reported that the government of the province’s Huangnan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture announced it would begin offering rewards of 200,000 yuan (about US$32,000) by December 27 to anyone at the scene who can prevent such suicides from occurring.
Fishermen all over the world know that lights are good for fishing. Insects are attracted to light and fish are attracted to insects, so they have evolved to also be attracted to light as well.
Even underwater, tiny organisms like plankton and shrimp are drawn to lights which draw small fish. The small fish also invite larger fish which can be caught by a fisherman smart enough to put the light there in the first place.
Many fishing boats are equipped with powerful spot lights intended to attract fish, and lights can be bought and installed under docks with the same purpose.
In Taiwan, this technique takes on a dramatic flair using actual flares. This beautiful and unique style of fishing was filmed by Kenny Chen who released a sample trailer for us all to see.
Let’s take a look!
It is often said that people who live in big cities are desensitized to all that goes on around them. A man is sprawled out on the sidewalk and people just step around him. A woman cries out for help and no one takes it seriously.
And then there’s the case of a bus that suddenly exploded during rush hour in the city of Hangzhou in China on 6 November. Surely this bus, completely engulfed in flames and churning out black smoke right in the middle of a busy street, would generate panic among the citizens… right?
- Master Blaster
Oct 27, 2012
Japan was recently dealt a blow in the irony sector by arch rivals China. Earlier this year, a story about Japanese police on the lookout for Japanese police drew mild chuckles whilst readers continued sipping their tea.
However, this photo of a Lanzhou fire department on fire is currently being touted as “the best joke in the country” on China’s microblogging site Sina Weibo where it was originally uploaded.
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing1
- Family: Utah man was cosplaying Samurai Champloo when shot, killed by police2
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- What your favorite sushi says about your income5
- Taiwan’s Gym Queen is the latest to join the youthful-looking moms club6
- Sony really, really wants you to buy an Xperia smartphone 【Tokyo Game Show】7
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!8
- Rule 34 in action: Ryutaro Nonomura’s sobbing and ear-cupping immortalised in adult video parody9
- Japanese illustrator imagines girls as birds, creates new stereotype genre – “Bird Type Girls”10
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures2
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】3
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!4
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy5
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】6
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea7
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star8
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!9
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!7
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years8
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events9
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Taiwan’s Gym Queen is the latest to join the youthful-looking moms club
- Sony really, really wants you to buy an Xperia smartphone 【Tokyo Game Show】
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- Rule 34 in action: Ryutaro Nonomura’s sobbing and ear-cupping immortalised in adult video parody
- Japanese illustrator imagines girls as birds, creates new stereotype genre – “Bird Type Girls”
- Attack on Titan’s creator estimates manga will end in three years
- University students in China design two-meter-wide apartment you could almost live in
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- These traditional Japanese hairpins may be too beautiful to wear
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Can you unlock your new iPhone 6 Plus with your nipple? We can! 【Video】
- Soft, squidgy and irresistible — these beautiful jelly soap balls have to be popped open to use
- iPhone 6 launch keeps Chinese customs officials busy as they seize hundreds of smuggled units