- Master Blaster
Jun 18, 2014
China is home to one of the oldest civilizations in the world. While people in many parts of the world were still running from their own shadows, people there were busy developing tools and infrastructure. So, it comes as no surprise that the country is full of ancient traditions some of which live on to this day.
The traditions themselves, however, can be quite surprising as seen above. This practice is known as Huǒ liáo and involves lighting the patient on fire to provide soothing relief for whatever ails them. We saw this before when we came across a photo of a woman getting her eyes lit on fire, but let’s learn a little more about this old art.
Over the course of a year, we humans can accumulate a lot of mucky emotions. We inevitably forget the dangers that certain fiery passions, like anger and envy, can do to our psyches. In order to remind ourselves to retake control of these troublesome fires that burn within us, we must take a walk through physical flames and let the fear of literal fire burn away our emotional impurities.
At least, that’s the idea behind Fukugonji’s annual firewalking festival! Each year, on second Sunday of December, this Zen Buddhist temple in Aichi Prefecture invites all members of the public to step across their scorching coals and reclaim inner purity at the Fukugonji Akiba Grand Festival. This year, the festival promises to be particularly entertaining, as well as spiritual and somewhat scary, as one might expect from firewalking.
Currently the hot new phone on the block, Samsung’s Galaxy S4 is incredibly popular the world over. And as smartphones have become an integral part of everyday life, owing to their relatively short battery life, it’s nothing strange to see people tapping and swiping away at a game or text message while their phones charge, whether it’s the Galaxy S4 or an iPhone 5.
Though after reading this story, you might be less inclined to use your device when it’s plugged in.
Men and women have been known to do some extreme things in the name of health and beauty. Spas and salons around the world have attempted to sell all types of tonics and creams to relax muscles and make skin smoother for generations, but none of them can even come close to the beauty treatment depicted in a photo posted to Chinese message board tt.mop late last week.
Along with the caption, “My mom went to get her face done at the beauty salon so I went with her. What I saw… instantly shocked me… I couldn’t look,” this photo blew our minds. Although the daughter claims that she wasn’t able to look, she was seemingly able to take a pretty clear picture for us all to see.
This type of treatment is actually not as unique as you might think. Called Huǒ liáo (fire treatment) it is a widely practiced form of alternative therapy. Nevertheless it’s still pretty terrifying to look at.
- John Stuart Translations
Dec 29, 2012
With Tibetans continuing to set themselves ablaze in protest of oppressive rule by Chinese authorities, state media for Qinghai province reported that the government of the province’s Huangnan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture announced it would begin offering rewards of 200,000 yuan (about US$32,000) by December 27 to anyone at the scene who can prevent such suicides from occurring.
Fishermen all over the world know that lights are good for fishing. Insects are attracted to light and fish are attracted to insects, so they have evolved to also be attracted to light as well.
Even underwater, tiny organisms like plankton and shrimp are drawn to lights which draw small fish. The small fish also invite larger fish which can be caught by a fisherman smart enough to put the light there in the first place.
Many fishing boats are equipped with powerful spot lights intended to attract fish, and lights can be bought and installed under docks with the same purpose.
In Taiwan, this technique takes on a dramatic flair using actual flares. This beautiful and unique style of fishing was filmed by Kenny Chen who released a sample trailer for us all to see.
Let’s take a look!
It is often said that people who live in big cities are desensitized to all that goes on around them. A man is sprawled out on the sidewalk and people just step around him. A woman cries out for help and no one takes it seriously.
And then there’s the case of a bus that suddenly exploded during rush hour in the city of Hangzhou in China on 6 November. Surely this bus, completely engulfed in flames and churning out black smoke right in the middle of a busy street, would generate panic among the citizens… right?
- Master Blaster
Oct 27, 2012
Japan was recently dealt a blow in the irony sector by arch rivals China. Earlier this year, a story about Japanese police on the lookout for Japanese police drew mild chuckles whilst readers continued sipping their tea.
However, this photo of a Lanzhou fire department on fire is currently being touted as “the best joke in the country” on China’s microblogging site Sina Weibo where it was originally uploaded.
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight3
- The planned “Great Ice Wall” to contain Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant isn’t freezing4
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn5
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi6
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants7
- Gintama’s protagonist as envisioned by fujoshi: blushing, bare-chested, and super voluptuous!8
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar9
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool10
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight6
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.7
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex8
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break9
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants
- Gintama’s protagonist as envisioned by fujoshi: blushing, bare-chested, and super voluptuous!
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- “Painful” decorations return! It’s time to bring the pain to your entire room!
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?
- Our reporter goes looking for fans at Comic-Con…in his Sailor Venus cosplay outfit
- Get the most out of your visit to Japan with these tourist-only deals 【Ninja Life Skills】
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea