Bad weather holidays were the greatest reason for not going to school. Sometimes, though, the severe weather isn’t quite enough to force a closure. The wind isn’t quite strong enough or the rain or snow isn’t dangerous enough. So, if the school says classes are on, you do what you can to get there. A city in Vietnam has “schooled” everyone with the incredible lengths they will go to get students to their classroom.
- Joan Coello
Oct 21, 2013
Earlier this month, Typhoon Fitow rampaged through eastern China, sending heavy rains and massive waves crashing, causing floods across several areas. Zhejiang province in particular took a hard hit, suffering over 2 billion yuan (US$330M) in economic damage. Over three million people in the area were affected, hundreds of thousands having to evacuate from their homes.
Trust the Chinese to be opportunists even in such extreme situations. While many folks were busy fighting the storm, some were busy picking up fishes that had been washed out of a dam. No harm in getting some free fish for dinner, right? But a hair-standing occurence that was discovered later probably left many fish hoarders choking with guilt…
Just as the merciless heat of summer begins to show signs of relenting, Japan is now well into its typhoon season. It’s a bittersweet mix of winds and rain that can simultaneously cool us down and cause major destruction.
Just the other day, the city of Nagoya was hit by heavy rains which caused widespread flooding. However, surprising even the citizens who live there, new machinery charged with protecting the crucial subway system from being overwhelmed with water was unleashed.
The Yellow River, which flows through nine of China’s provinces, is historically one of the deadliest due to frequent large-scale flooding. In modern times, massive floods have been curbed by the invention of dams, but with that comes a different, equally startling scene.
When a river overflowed into a nearby street following heavy rains in Melbourne, Australia, the Eltham Fire Department did all it could to reach those in need of rescue, including driving through waters over six feet high.
On 6 August a large part of the Philippines was hit with approximately half a month’s worth of rain inside a period of 24 hours causing severe flooding. The capital city, Manila was among the many regions affected.
The death toll as of this writing has reached 60. But what is amazing about this catastrophe beyond its scale is the resilience of the Filipino spirit, as illustrated in these surreal photos and videos.
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman1
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”4
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!5
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos6
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide7
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day8
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】9
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!
- Crepe made with Kyoto sweets and green tea is the perfect treat after a day of temple hopping
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Hanahana are some of the most elegant and expensive sparklers ever made
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Fashion advice – Almost half of Japanese women say they don’t like guys wearing tank tops
- Hello Kitty superheroes would make the world a safer and cuter place for mankind