Bad weather holidays were the greatest reason for not going to school. Sometimes, though, the severe weather isn’t quite enough to force a closure. The wind isn’t quite strong enough or the rain or snow isn’t dangerous enough. So, if the school says classes are on, you do what you can to get there. A city in Vietnam has “schooled” everyone with the incredible lengths they will go to get students to their classroom.
Oct 21, 2013
Earlier this month, Typhoon Fitow rampaged through eastern China, sending heavy rains and massive waves crashing, causing floods across several areas. Zhejiang province in particular took a hard hit, suffering over 2 billion yuan (US$330M) in economic damage. Over three million people in the area were affected, hundreds of thousands having to evacuate from their homes.
Trust the Chinese to be opportunists even in such extreme situations. While many folks were busy fighting the storm, some were busy picking up fishes that had been washed out of a dam. No harm in getting some free fish for dinner, right? But a hair-standing occurence that was discovered later probably left many fish hoarders choking with guilt…
Just as the merciless heat of summer begins to show signs of relenting, Japan is now well into its typhoon season. It’s a bittersweet mix of winds and rain that can simultaneously cool us down and cause major destruction.
Just the other day, the city of Nagoya was hit by heavy rains which caused widespread flooding. However, surprising even the citizens who live there, new machinery charged with protecting the crucial subway system from being overwhelmed with water was unleashed.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jul 21, 2013
The Yellow River, which flows through nine of China’s provinces, is historically one of the deadliest due to frequent large-scale flooding. In modern times, massive floods have been curbed by the invention of dams, but with that comes a different, equally startling scene.
When a river overflowed into a nearby street following heavy rains in Melbourne, Australia, the Eltham Fire Department did all it could to reach those in need of rescue, including driving through waters over six feet high.
On 6 August a large part of the Philippines was hit with approximately half a month’s worth of rain inside a period of 24 hours causing severe flooding. The capital city, Manila was among the many regions affected.
The death toll as of this writing has reached 60. But what is amazing about this catastrophe beyond its scale is the resilience of the Filipino spirit, as illustrated in these surreal photos and videos.
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide4
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional5
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children6
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers7
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts8
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?9
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid8
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing8
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls9
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map
- Adorable character hot pots are this fall’s kawaii-est foods
- Mount Ontake: some hikers “died taking photos of the erupting volcano”, pathologist says
- Watch time go by with 70,000 beautiful Japanese women, that’s 48 girls a minute every day!
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card
- She just popped up from your toilet paper to say hello!
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid
- Domino’s Japan offering discounts to customers who pound the wall, show mementos from old flames
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: ‘No more weird architecture’