Bad weather holidays were the greatest reason for not going to school. Sometimes, though, the severe weather isn’t quite enough to force a closure. The wind isn’t quite strong enough or the rain or snow isn’t dangerous enough. So, if the school says classes are on, you do what you can to get there. A city in Vietnam has “schooled” everyone with the incredible lengths they will go to get students to their classroom.
Oct 21, 2013
Earlier this month, Typhoon Fitow rampaged through eastern China, sending heavy rains and massive waves crashing, causing floods across several areas. Zhejiang province in particular took a hard hit, suffering over 2 billion yuan (US$330M) in economic damage. Over three million people in the area were affected, hundreds of thousands having to evacuate from their homes.
Trust the Chinese to be opportunists even in such extreme situations. While many folks were busy fighting the storm, some were busy picking up fishes that had been washed out of a dam. No harm in getting some free fish for dinner, right? But a hair-standing occurence that was discovered later probably left many fish hoarders choking with guilt…
Just as the merciless heat of summer begins to show signs of relenting, Japan is now well into its typhoon season. It’s a bittersweet mix of winds and rain that can simultaneously cool us down and cause major destruction.
Just the other day, the city of Nagoya was hit by heavy rains which caused widespread flooding. However, surprising even the citizens who live there, new machinery charged with protecting the crucial subway system from being overwhelmed with water was unleashed.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jul 21, 2013
The Yellow River, which flows through nine of China’s provinces, is historically one of the deadliest due to frequent large-scale flooding. In modern times, massive floods have been curbed by the invention of dams, but with that comes a different, equally startling scene.
When a river overflowed into a nearby street following heavy rains in Melbourne, Australia, the Eltham Fire Department did all it could to reach those in need of rescue, including driving through waters over six feet high.
On 6 August a large part of the Philippines was hit with approximately half a month’s worth of rain inside a period of 24 hours causing severe flooding. The capital city, Manila was among the many regions affected.
The death toll as of this writing has reached 60. But what is amazing about this catastrophe beyond its scale is the resilience of the Filipino spirit, as illustrated in these surreal photos and videos.
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t4
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan7
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer8
- We don’t know what Vanadium is either, but Asahi put it in a drink for you anyway9
- Beautiful faces and floors – Five great ways to reuse the water from rinsing rice10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make2
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world3
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art4
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues9
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- We don’t know what Vanadium is either, but Asahi put it in a drink for you anyway
- Beautiful faces and floors – Five great ways to reuse the water from rinsing rice
- Nearly five percent of Japanese are addicted to gambling – even though it’s still “illegal”
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?
- Check out these cool ways to enjoy hot springs in Oita, including eating and breathing them
- Nissin Cup Noodle is offering a promotional life-size water-dispensing cow
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile