Bad weather holidays were the greatest reason for not going to school. Sometimes, though, the severe weather isn’t quite enough to force a closure. The wind isn’t quite strong enough or the rain or snow isn’t dangerous enough. So, if the school says classes are on, you do what you can to get there. A city in Vietnam has “schooled” everyone with the incredible lengths they will go to get students to their classroom.
Oct 21, 2013
Earlier this month, Typhoon Fitow rampaged through eastern China, sending heavy rains and massive waves crashing, causing floods across several areas. Zhejiang province in particular took a hard hit, suffering over 2 billion yuan (US$330M) in economic damage. Over three million people in the area were affected, hundreds of thousands having to evacuate from their homes.
Trust the Chinese to be opportunists even in such extreme situations. While many folks were busy fighting the storm, some were busy picking up fishes that had been washed out of a dam. No harm in getting some free fish for dinner, right? But a hair-standing occurence that was discovered later probably left many fish hoarders choking with guilt…
Just as the merciless heat of summer begins to show signs of relenting, Japan is now well into its typhoon season. It’s a bittersweet mix of winds and rain that can simultaneously cool us down and cause major destruction.
Just the other day, the city of Nagoya was hit by heavy rains which caused widespread flooding. However, surprising even the citizens who live there, new machinery charged with protecting the crucial subway system from being overwhelmed with water was unleashed.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jul 21, 2013
The Yellow River, which flows through nine of China’s provinces, is historically one of the deadliest due to frequent large-scale flooding. In modern times, massive floods have been curbed by the invention of dams, but with that comes a different, equally startling scene.
When a river overflowed into a nearby street following heavy rains in Melbourne, Australia, the Eltham Fire Department did all it could to reach those in need of rescue, including driving through waters over six feet high.
On 6 August a large part of the Philippines was hit with approximately half a month’s worth of rain inside a period of 24 hours causing severe flooding. The capital city, Manila was among the many regions affected.
The death toll as of this writing has reached 60. But what is amazing about this catastrophe beyond its scale is the resilience of the Filipino spirit, as illustrated in these surreal photos and videos.
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】1
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police2
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV3
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu4
- Tips from Japan to make your skin extra beautiful! It begins with a bath and…5
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously6
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z7
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website8
- Clever cat duo cause havoc in the bathroom but are too cute to scold9
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20153
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online4
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG5
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- 39 looks at the lighter side of Asia9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website
- Clever cat duo cause havoc in the bathroom but are too cute to scold
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 2015
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women
- Six non-traditional osechi New Year’s meals in Japan
- This amazing Weipa recipe tastes every bit like fried rice without frying rice