Last year, we introduced you to the Mannequin Guy, a 2m tall (6,6″) American dude living in Japan who took to the streets on Halloween 2013 to give passersby a scarily good laugh. Well, we’re happy to report that Mannequin Guy returned again this Halloween, and there’s even a video compilation of all the best bits of his routine!
Unintentional cultural misunderstandings became the subject of great debate in Japan recently following a new round of commercials produced for cup noodle manufacturer Nissin. Although intended to be entirely tongue-in-cheek, some people have raised the issue that it is precisely these kinds of advertisements that compound incorrect notions about a country and lead to further stereotyping, which led to a survey being taken which asked Japanese to list the things that they perceive to be the most common stereotypes about their own culture.
Think you can guess what made the list? Keep reading after the jump to find out!
I come before you today, readers of RocketNews24, with a confession. What I am about to tell you may shock you, but it’s eating away at me and I need to get it off my chest. You see, yesterday afternoon on my way to lunch, I did a fellow foreigner–a fellow gaijin, if you will–a tremendous injustice. It was not my intent to do so, but at the very moment this gentlemen, this benevolent stranger, put himself out there and sought to make a minor connection with another foreigner, I turned away.
That’s right, gentle reader, I accidentally ignored a Gaijin Nod.
Allow me to explain.
Jul 14, 2014
The cleaning crews who maintain Japan’s high-speed bullet trains have a mere seven minutes to make the interior of the train spotlessly clean for its next journey. Those seven minutes are carefully divided into different tasks to make sure everything gets done in the allotted time.
Another curious detail people often notice about these cleaners is the way they bow as trains are entering and exiting the station. While this act is generally thought to be a respectful gesture, the intended recipient of the bowing seems to be a matter of great debate, with plenty of conflicting opinions out there, even among the Japanese!
Dec 21, 2013
As the end of the year approaches, many foreigners living in Japan are heading back to their home countries for the holidays. Of course, seeing family and friends for the first time in a while is the best part of going home. But many people also have fun stocking up on all the familiar products that are hard to find in Japan. Check out the results from a survey on Japanese website, Madam Riri, asking foreigners to reveal the items they like to buy in their home countries and bring back to Japan.
This one’s going to start some heated debates! Japanese entertainment news site, Bucchi News, asked 50 women who are currently studying abroad in Japan to reveal what they think are shortcomings of Japanese men. No time for chit chat, let’s take a look at the juicy results!
Let’s be honest; there are a lot of distinctly average-looking foreign guys living in Japan dating jaw-droppingly beautiful Japanese girls. We’ve all witnessed it- a woman who could play the female lead in the next James Bond movie, walking down the street with a guy who, if we searched for him in the same movie’s end credits, would more likely appear as something along the lines of “man in post office # 3”.
Were the same couple to be seen out and about in the guy’s home town, pretty much everyone would be looking from her to him, then back to her again and whispering to their friends “Wow, that guy’s punching above his weight….”
Shallow? Yes. Narrow minded? Definitely. But no matter how much we remind ourselves that it’s what’s on the inside that counts, there’s no denying the fact that human beings, flawed as we are, make a lot of decisions based on appearances. And when Johnny Average gets to date Princess Zelda (I’m a nerd, remember?), heads turn.
How do they do it? Read More
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours2
- Japan’s 10 best ryokan inns and top 10 hotels, as chosen by foreign visitors3
- Japanese film pros ranked their top movies to show kids, with Ghibli titles sweeping the top 34
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony5
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village6
- Foreigner cyclist pulls a Gandalf, stands up to driver using bike lane in Beijing7
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】8
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts9
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US8
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Foreigner cyclist pulls a Gandalf, stands up to driver using bike lane in Beijing
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing
- Taiwanese subway’s anime mascot wants you to mind your manners, watch out for the Hamburglar
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- There’s a Doraemon Christmas tree in Singapore
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- Hadoken! The LINE stickers we’ve all been waiting for: Street Fighter II