Almost 2 million people have viewed this short YouTube clip of pugs dressed as Game of Thrones characters since it was uploaded late last month. And well, why not? It’s not every day you get to see doggies cosplaying as characters from George R. R. Martin’s fantasy world of Westeros. Heck, we may even prefer the adorable pugs to some of their live-action counterparts!
Game of Thrones
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, HBO’s hit TV show Game of Thrones must be feeling rather pleased with itself these days. From Disney cartoon characters to woodblock-like prints of the show in feudal-era Japan, there is no lack of love from talented fans.
This newest fan-made project is sure to please both fans of the show and gamers around the world, as it blends the world of none other than Super NES classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past with the realm of Westeros.
Click below to see Zelda get the Game of Thrones treatment.
- Joan Coello
Jun 3, 2014
All right, who’s a fan of Game of Thrones? I’ll admit straight off the bat that I didn’t watch “the most epic TV serial of the year” (I quote my friend), though I was rather tempted to when almost all my friends and colleagues were discussing it like some secret conspiracy. I would have definitely dived into it, however, if it had been an animation series!
There must be other people out there who think like me, because look at these amazing Disney-esque illustrations of characters from Game of Thrones!
- Philip Kendall
Jan 21, 2014
Having learned the hard way that some TV series exist simply to keep viewers hanging for years (yes, Lost, I am looking at you), I have to admit that I gave the TV adaptation of Game of Thrones a wide berth for quite some time after it first aired. A few months and the contraction of a very nasty cold later, I found myself in bed with a heap of medication, a DVD box-set and little else to do. By the time I was back on my feet, I was a huge fan of the series (and may have run “Game of Thrones blonde girl” through Google a couple of times) and swallowed, along with the last of the medicine, my usual stubborn pride by telling friends that I was ready to join in their nerdy conversations and even read the books that they had all finished with years ago.
Little did I know, though, that the TV show could be made all the more awesome by recreating some of its more memorable scenes in the style of Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints, with all of my favourite characters looking like they reside in feudal Japan rather than Westeros.
Japan Celebrates Premiere of Game of Thrones with Ice Castle Theater — in the Worst Location Possible
Jan 13, 2013
Some of you in the English-speaking world have probably heard of a little fantasy TV series called Game of Thrones. It’s won a few awards here and there, has a fairly enthusiastic fan base, and — let’s face it — is all around a huge freakin’ deal.
While America and the rest of the world fill their goblets with mead in anticipation of the March 31 premiere of season 3, Japan is finally getting their first taste of the series when season 1 airs on January 27 — and they’re promoting it by holding free screenings of the first episode in a castle built from actual blocks of ice.
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】1
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break4
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea7
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant8
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back9
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】5
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman6
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease7
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs8
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”9
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Teacher accidentally supports the armament of Japan with flawed cartoon reference
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Chinese mall’s large pink parking spaces for women seen as sexist by some, wonderful by others
- Making a “fart cannon” is simple and cheap, says Japanese comedy site