Almost 2 million people have viewed this short YouTube clip of pugs dressed as Game of Thrones characters since it was uploaded late last month. And well, why not? It’s not every day you get to see doggies cosplaying as characters from George R. R. Martin’s fantasy world of Westeros. Heck, we may even prefer the adorable pugs to some of their live-action counterparts!
Game of Thrones
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, HBO’s hit TV show Game of Thrones must be feeling rather pleased with itself these days. From Disney cartoon characters to woodblock-like prints of the show in feudal-era Japan, there is no lack of love from talented fans.
This newest fan-made project is sure to please both fans of the show and gamers around the world, as it blends the world of none other than Super NES classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past with the realm of Westeros.
Click below to see Zelda get the Game of Thrones treatment.
- Joan Coello
Jun 3, 2014
All right, who’s a fan of Game of Thrones? I’ll admit straight off the bat that I didn’t watch “the most epic TV serial of the year” (I quote my friend), though I was rather tempted to when almost all my friends and colleagues were discussing it like some secret conspiracy. I would have definitely dived into it, however, if it had been an animation series!
There must be other people out there who think like me, because look at these amazing Disney-esque illustrations of characters from Game of Thrones!
- Philip Kendall
Jan 21, 2014
Having learned the hard way that some TV series exist simply to keep viewers hanging for years (yes, Lost, I am looking at you), I have to admit that I gave the TV adaptation of Game of Thrones a wide berth for quite some time after it first aired. A few months and the contraction of a very nasty cold later, I found myself in bed with a heap of medication, a DVD box-set and little else to do. By the time I was back on my feet, I was a huge fan of the series (and may have run “Game of Thrones blonde girl” through Google a couple of times) and swallowed, along with the last of the medicine, my usual stubborn pride by telling friends that I was ready to join in their nerdy conversations and even read the books that they had all finished with years ago.
Little did I know, though, that the TV show could be made all the more awesome by recreating some of its more memorable scenes in the style of Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints, with all of my favourite characters looking like they reside in feudal Japan rather than Westeros.
Japan Celebrates Premiere of Game of Thrones with Ice Castle Theater — in the Worst Location Possible
Jan 13, 2013
Some of you in the English-speaking world have probably heard of a little fantasy TV series called Game of Thrones. It’s won a few awards here and there, has a fairly enthusiastic fan base, and — let’s face it — is all around a huge freakin’ deal.
While America and the rest of the world fill their goblets with mead in anticipation of the March 31 premiere of season 3, Japan is finally getting their first taste of the series when season 1 airs on January 27 — and they’re promoting it by holding free screenings of the first episode in a castle built from actual blocks of ice.
- The top 10 instances when Japanese people feel thankful to be Japanese1
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea2
- Kabe-zubo! Kabe-zun! The unexpected, highly intense versions of Kabe-don are here!【Photos】3
- Three reasons to sleep with a huggy pillow (that have nothing to do with an anime crush)4
- The awesome Soccer Samurai is back, and this time he’s fighting ninjas in Manchester 【Video】5
- The ultimate spork that’s just for eating ramen6
- Tokyo Disney Resorts to introduce plethora of new attractions for 20157
- See Studio Ghibli film characters recreated in 3-D perfection at special exhibit in Seoul8
- Teen job hunter learns: Do not screw around at an interview with McDonald’s Japan9
- 100 things to do in Japan in 100 seconds 【Video】10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money3
- Japanese women reveal their methods of raising a guy’s bedroom technique4
- Japanese illustrated cookbook teaches you how to cook “mother and daughter”【Photos】5
- The ugly truth of goukon, Japan’s group blind dates6
- Tokyo hamburger vending machine has a human touch7
- Chinese cadet is beautiful enough to make you want to join the army8
- Ghibli anime inspires beautiful cosplay from across the seas 【Photos】9
- The 30 most ‘romantic’ lines that women want to hear (well, according to the Japanese internet)10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability8
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】9
- Chibatman called in by police, receives their official approval10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady9
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】10
- The ultimate spork that’s just for eating ramen
- Tokyo Disney Resorts to introduce plethora of new attractions for 2015
- See Studio Ghibli film characters recreated in 3-D perfection at special exhibit in Seoul
- Teen job hunter learns: Do not screw around at an interview with McDonald’s Japan
- 100 things to do in Japan in 100 seconds 【Video】
- Tokyo ice cream stand’s colossal eight-flavor cones might be the biggest we’ve ever seen
- Amid ongoing protests in Hong Kong, Chinese officials look for terrorists… in bird rectums
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- Chinese writer thinks Doraemon is a sinister affront to China
- US Department of State announces lucky winners of green card lottery
- Fans take love of a certain anime character to creepy heights with real life birthday cakes, etc.
- Not all of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime accessory line is metallic, but it’s all awesome
- Time to get wet: Underwater photos of girls in sailor suits and… plastic exoskeletons?