Almost 2 million people have viewed this short YouTube clip of pugs dressed as Game of Thrones characters since it was uploaded late last month. And well, why not? It’s not every day you get to see doggies cosplaying as characters from George R. R. Martin’s fantasy world of Westeros. Heck, we may even prefer the adorable pugs to some of their live-action counterparts!
Game of Thrones
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, HBO’s hit TV show Game of Thrones must be feeling rather pleased with itself these days. From Disney cartoon characters to woodblock-like prints of the show in feudal-era Japan, there is no lack of love from talented fans.
This newest fan-made project is sure to please both fans of the show and gamers around the world, as it blends the world of none other than Super NES classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past with the realm of Westeros.
Click below to see Zelda get the Game of Thrones treatment.
Jun 3, 2014
All right, who’s a fan of Game of Thrones? I’ll admit straight off the bat that I didn’t watch “the most epic TV serial of the year” (I quote my friend), though I was rather tempted to when almost all my friends and colleagues were discussing it like some secret conspiracy. I would have definitely dived into it, however, if it had been an animation series!
There must be other people out there who think like me, because look at these amazing Disney-esque illustrations of characters from Game of Thrones!
Jan 21, 2014
Having learned the hard way that some TV series exist simply to keep viewers hanging for years (yes, Lost, I am looking at you), I have to admit that I gave the TV adaptation of Game of Thrones a wide berth for quite some time after it first aired. A few months and the contraction of a very nasty cold later, I found myself in bed with a heap of medication, a DVD box-set and little else to do. By the time I was back on my feet, I was a huge fan of the series (and may have run “Game of Thrones blonde girl” through Google a couple of times) and swallowed, along with the last of the medicine, my usual stubborn pride by telling friends that I was ready to join in their nerdy conversations and even read the books that they had all finished with years ago.
Little did I know, though, that the TV show could be made all the more awesome by recreating some of its more memorable scenes in the style of Japanese ukiyo-e woodblock prints, with all of my favourite characters looking like they reside in feudal Japan rather than Westeros.
Japan Celebrates Premiere of Game of Thrones with Ice Castle Theater — in the Worst Location Possible
Jan 13, 2013
Some of you in the English-speaking world have probably heard of a little fantasy TV series called Game of Thrones. It’s won a few awards here and there, has a fairly enthusiastic fan base, and — let’s face it — is all around a huge freakin’ deal.
While America and the rest of the world fill their goblets with mead in anticipation of the March 31 premiere of season 3, Japan is finally getting their first taste of the series when season 1 airs on January 27 — and they’re promoting it by holding free screenings of the first episode in a castle built from actual blocks of ice.
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”3
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile4
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos5
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so6
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos7
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping8
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video9
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick5
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!6
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world7
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so8
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?9
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date
- Creepy or cute? Feel the Panda Train’s intense gaze before sightseeing in resort town Shirahama
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- 3-D green tea latte art adds a splash of whimsy and color to your cup
- Over half of Japanese adults do this in the shower – How about you?
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google
- NHK offices are too boring for broadcast after earthquake, “borrows” from tweets