Japan is one of the cleanest countries you’ll encounter as a traveler. The inside of the bullet train is kept absolutely spotless, taxi drivers can be seen buffing their vehicles of dust and road grit while waiting for the next customer. Graffiti is rare here and men in jumpsuits are employed to scrape off gum and anything else adhered to train station floors. Glamorous and gleaming is the way the Japanese like things. Even diesel trucks are washed down in their terminals after a day on the roads.
So it’s no surprise that the city streets are litter-free, that public trash bins ask you to separate your refuse into burnable and non-burnable bins, or that the Japanese have a reputation for taking their garbage home with them when attending sporting events.
So it may have been a surprise to some of our readers when someone commented on the trashiness of Japanese beaches in response to my previous article on Japanese beach culture, saying: “The number one beach activity in Japan is actually turning it into a giant open dump, full or empty beer cans, cigarette buds, and plastics of all kinds. It’s a big paradox when you see how clean the streets are.”
Jun 25, 2014
With all the updates in the field of robotics, it becomes more and more a possibility that one day they will rise up and overthrow their human creators. After years of washing our hair or serving our food, once their AI reaches the point where they realize we’re a bunch of jerks to them the human race will be in a bit of a pickle. And it’s images like the one above taken at an unnamed Japanese university that are sure to make the machines come to such realization.
Jun 16, 2014
Their national team may have lost their World Cup game against Ivory Coast yesterday morning, but Japanese fans didn’t forget their manners, it would seem.
Like all good kids who remember to say thank you to their friend’s mother after playing at their home, Japan’s passionate football fans reportedly grabbed refuse bags and cleaned up after themselves before leaving the stadium following their team’s match against the African side.
While the silly news last year about a Chinese zoo trying to pass a dog for a lion made headlines around the world, the story this time is a lot more disturbing. A zoo in Xiamen (also known as Amoy) on the southeast coast of China reported earlier this week that one of its male fallow deer had suddenly died. As if its death wasn’t already tragic enough, upon conducting an autopsy, workers were surprised to discover the unexpected cause of death, something that could easily have been prevented. Keep reading to learn the unfortunate details.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 29, 2014
As many of you may know, the past week was the absolute busiest time to travel in China. With the New Year’s holiday coming up, many people who work in the big cities make the several hour, and in some cases several day, journey back home to be with family. With all those people trying to move around the country at roughly the same time, things are going to get a little cozy. Making matters worse, many passengers seem to have missed the trash receptacles, instead choosing to throw their garbage into the aisle.
Oct 10, 2012
As much as it might sound like a speech that one of those creepy, smile-flashing, tracksuit-wearing guest speakers might have given at your school when you were a kid, it genuinely is cool to be seen cleaning up your town in Japan right now.
In a joint venture between Garbage Bag Artwork and Columbia Sportswear Japan, a range of artistically-designed garbage bags has been launched, along with a swanky new website that aims to encourage both local groups and handsome folks like you and me to get out and clean up our towns. Read More
- Singer Gackt claims he was victim of racial discrimination in Paris hotel, handled it with class1
- Man fed up with Love Live fans at subway station in China, pours water on them2
- Haruki Murakami answers the question, “What is the meaning of life?”3
- Drain cleaners will hate us! Use this one crazy trick from Japan to get rid of sink slime!4
- Pro drifter disguises herself as driving school student to prank first-day instructors 【Video】5
- Here’s what we got when we ordered the chef’s recommendation…at McDonald’s!6
- Stunning video of Tokyo shows the charm of how it mixes the traditional with the modern7
- New smartphone game lets lonely gamers blow up, unleash other misfortunes on lovey dovey couples8
- Tokyo’s busiest train lines to get luxury “one-man” express pods by next April9
- KanColle? More like ManColle as real Japanese men parody anime opening 【Video】10
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map1
- Haruki Murakami answers the question, “What is the meaning of life?”2
- New smartphone game lets lonely gamers blow up, unleash other misfortunes on lovey dovey couples3
- Vanishing Japan: Five things to see before they disappear completely4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- Man fed up with Love Live fans at subway station in China, pours water on them6
- Past and present photos of Japanese fashion models make us wonder, where have all the gyaru gone?7
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”8
- Pro drifter disguises herself as driving school student to prank first-day instructors 【Video】9
- New Sailor Moon cafe in Tokyo has live public anime viewing and themed food and drinks10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20156
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives7
- Haruki Murakami answers the question, “What is the meaning of life?”8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map3
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby4
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】5
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”6
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】9
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】10
- Here’s what we got when we ordered the chef’s recommendation…at McDonald’s!
- Stunning video of Tokyo shows the charm of how it mixes the traditional with the modern
- New smartphone game lets lonely gamers blow up, unleash other misfortunes on lovey dovey couples
- Tokyo’s busiest train lines to get luxury “one-man” express pods by next April
- KanColle? More like ManColle as real Japanese men parody anime opening 【Video】
- Morioka Station’s sweet message to recent high school graduates causes passersby to tear up
- Are you a control freak, baby, or tough guy? Find out what your sleeping position says about you!
- Misao Okawa, the world’s oldest person, has died
- Sony chooses today to announce “PlayStation Flow” goggles, body sensors and post-swim dryer
- Never lose focus on April Fools’ Day, you never know who will surprise you next
- These gravity-defying coin towers have left us in awe 【Video】
- Check out this incredible stop-motion Super Mario video featuring Luigi and some cool bead art
- Awww! Penguin mouths are…ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING!!! 【Video】