Japan is one of the cleanest countries you’ll encounter as a traveler. The inside of the bullet train is kept absolutely spotless, taxi drivers can be seen buffing their vehicles of dust and road grit while waiting for the next customer. Graffiti is rare here and men in jumpsuits are employed to scrape off gum and anything else adhered to train station floors. Glamorous and gleaming is the way the Japanese like things. Even diesel trucks are washed down in their terminals after a day on the roads.
So it’s no surprise that the city streets are litter-free, that public trash bins ask you to separate your refuse into burnable and non-burnable bins, or that the Japanese have a reputation for taking their garbage home with them when attending sporting events.
So it may have been a surprise to some of our readers when someone commented on the trashiness of Japanese beaches in response to my previous article on Japanese beach culture, saying: “The number one beach activity in Japan is actually turning it into a giant open dump, full or empty beer cans, cigarette buds, and plastics of all kinds. It’s a big paradox when you see how clean the streets are.”
Jun 25, 2014
With all the updates in the field of robotics, it becomes more and more a possibility that one day they will rise up and overthrow their human creators. After years of washing our hair or serving our food, once their AI reaches the point where they realize we’re a bunch of jerks to them the human race will be in a bit of a pickle. And it’s images like the one above taken at an unnamed Japanese university that are sure to make the machines come to such realization.
Jun 16, 2014
Their national team may have lost their World Cup game against Ivory Coast yesterday morning, but Japanese fans didn’t forget their manners, it would seem.
Like all good kids who remember to say thank you to their friend’s mother after playing at their home, Japan’s passionate football fans reportedly grabbed refuse bags and cleaned up after themselves before leaving the stadium following their team’s match against the African side.
While the silly news last year about a Chinese zoo trying to pass a dog for a lion made headlines around the world, the story this time is a lot more disturbing. A zoo in Xiamen (also known as Amoy) on the southeast coast of China reported earlier this week that one of its male fallow deer had suddenly died. As if its death wasn’t already tragic enough, upon conducting an autopsy, workers were surprised to discover the unexpected cause of death, something that could easily have been prevented. Keep reading to learn the unfortunate details.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 29, 2014
As many of you may know, the past week was the absolute busiest time to travel in China. With the New Year’s holiday coming up, many people who work in the big cities make the several hour, and in some cases several day, journey back home to be with family. With all those people trying to move around the country at roughly the same time, things are going to get a little cozy. Making matters worse, many passengers seem to have missed the trash receptacles, instead choosing to throw their garbage into the aisle.
Oct 10, 2012
As much as it might sound like a speech that one of those creepy, smile-flashing, tracksuit-wearing guest speakers might have given at your school when you were a kid, it genuinely is cool to be seen cleaning up your town in Japan right now.
In a joint venture between Garbage Bag Artwork and Columbia Sportswear Japan, a range of artistically-designed garbage bags has been launched, along with a swanky new website that aims to encourage both local groups and handsome folks like you and me to get out and clean up our towns. Read More
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Auction for “the present I was going to surprise my girlfriend with” closes with a happy ending2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- Mount Ontake: some hikers “died taking photos of the erupting volcano”, pathologist says4
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children5
- 【TBT】The top 9 anime situations that seem likely to happen, but never do6
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide7
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!8
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?9
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid8
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- 【TBT】The top 9 anime situations that seem likely to happen, but never do
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy
- Are virtual reality schools the future of education in Japan?
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card
- Watch time go by with 70,000 beautiful Japanese women, that’s 48 girls a minute every day!