Japan is one of the cleanest countries you’ll encounter as a traveler. The inside of the bullet train is kept absolutely spotless, taxi drivers can be seen buffing their vehicles of dust and road grit while waiting for the next customer. Graffiti is rare here and men in jumpsuits are employed to scrape off gum and anything else adhered to train station floors. Glamorous and gleaming is the way the Japanese like things. Even diesel trucks are washed down in their terminals after a day on the roads.
So it’s no surprise that the city streets are litter-free, that public trash bins ask you to separate your refuse into burnable and non-burnable bins, or that the Japanese have a reputation for taking their garbage home with them when attending sporting events.
So it may have been a surprise to some of our readers when someone commented on the trashiness of Japanese beaches in response to my previous article on Japanese beach culture, saying: “The number one beach activity in Japan is actually turning it into a giant open dump, full or empty beer cans, cigarette buds, and plastics of all kinds. It’s a big paradox when you see how clean the streets are.”
Jun 25, 2014
With all the updates in the field of robotics, it becomes more and more a possibility that one day they will rise up and overthrow their human creators. After years of washing our hair or serving our food, once their AI reaches the point where they realize we’re a bunch of jerks to them the human race will be in a bit of a pickle. And it’s images like the one above taken at an unnamed Japanese university that are sure to make the machines come to such realization.
Jun 16, 2014
Their national team may have lost their World Cup game against Ivory Coast yesterday morning, but Japanese fans didn’t forget their manners, it would seem.
Like all good kids who remember to say thank you to their friend’s mother after playing at their home, Japan’s passionate football fans reportedly grabbed refuse bags and cleaned up after themselves before leaving the stadium following their team’s match against the African side.
While the silly news last year about a Chinese zoo trying to pass a dog for a lion made headlines around the world, the story this time is a lot more disturbing. A zoo in Xiamen (also known as Amoy) on the southeast coast of China reported earlier this week that one of its male fallow deer had suddenly died. As if its death wasn’t already tragic enough, upon conducting an autopsy, workers were surprised to discover the unexpected cause of death, something that could easily have been prevented. Keep reading to learn the unfortunate details.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 29, 2014
As many of you may know, the past week was the absolute busiest time to travel in China. With the New Year’s holiday coming up, many people who work in the big cities make the several hour, and in some cases several day, journey back home to be with family. With all those people trying to move around the country at roughly the same time, things are going to get a little cozy. Making matters worse, many passengers seem to have missed the trash receptacles, instead choosing to throw their garbage into the aisle.
Oct 10, 2012
As much as it might sound like a speech that one of those creepy, smile-flashing, tracksuit-wearing guest speakers might have given at your school when you were a kid, it genuinely is cool to be seen cleaning up your town in Japan right now.
In a joint venture between Garbage Bag Artwork and Columbia Sportswear Japan, a range of artistically-designed garbage bags has been launched, along with a swanky new website that aims to encourage both local groups and handsome folks like you and me to get out and clean up our towns. Read More
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men1
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors4
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】5
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?6
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross7
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his cubby body in a box8
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?9
- Nicocafe dishes up a serving of surreal with manga meat, half an umaibo, and rice teishoku10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts3
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy4
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】5
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls6
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid7
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】8
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back9
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his cubby body in a box
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- Nicocafe dishes up a serving of surreal with manga meat, half an umaibo, and rice teishoku
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks
- Liquid wasabi from Shizuoka is our new favorite form of awesome sauce
- Ken Akamatsu bemoans Britain’s child pornography sentencing
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- Is Japan really racist? A look at where things stand
- The plot thickens: Pizza Hut Japan’s feline employees disappear overnight, forcing store closure 【Video】
- The craziest small arms maneuvers by South Korean SWAT, in 9 GIFs
- Another Chinese knock-off has hit the market, this time it’s a city!