Christmas Eve is a big deal in Japan for couples. It’s the one night of the year when you’re supposed to go out on a romantic date and show the world you’re capable of being found attractive by another person. But for singles, it’s a hell that’s on par with Valentine’s Day in the west – canoodling couples everywhere, and all the corny marketing and merchandise that goes with it. So when this young man found himself without a date for Christmas Eve, he decided to skip the middle man (middle woman?) and date himself – in female form! Join us after the jump for some pics, but be warned – they’re a touch on the NSFW side!
Oct 29, 2014
For a large chunk of Japan’s history, there wasn’t much time to think about the future. Instead, most people’s days were filled with more immediate concerns, like trying to figure out how to survive the civil wars that were all the rage in the country during most of the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries.
Things finally settled down in the early 1600s, though, and ordinary Japanese citizens entered into a long period of internal stability. Finally having enough time to muse about things to come, they came up with a list of predictions about Japan’s future, some of which are nowhere near how reality has turned out, and some of which were spot on.
Sep 11, 2014
Are your eyes playing tricks on you? Maybe.
Take another look at that picture up there. They’re not twins, not even sisters. They are romantically involved, and they might be best friends, but they’re definitely not gay. The couple pictured above are husband and wife. Which one is the husband? Find out after the break!
File this one under things we hope don’t fall into the wrong hands: Those Women Only train cars in Japan aren’t actually enforceable under the law.
All foreign men in Japan can recount their first harrowing experience of obliviously stepping onto a train, only to find that literally every single other passenger was a woman. There’s a moment of confusion and, if you’re lucky, a good Samaritan politely explaining that wieners don’t belong here, followed by the terrible realization that you’ve broken not only an official rule set forth by the train company but also an unwritten social rule, which is kind of almost worse. But, from here on out, you can rest assured that even though you’re committing a social taboo, you’re not breaking any laws!
Scott R Dixon
Jul 22, 2014
While many people view gender as a black-and-white issue, the reality is there is a lot of grey of the spectrum from man to woman. From young men who feel more comfortable dressed a pretty girl to a handsome transman fighting for equality in the Philippines, the world is full of people who don’t quite fit into a rigid gender binary.
Recently, a 44-year-old Chinese man found this out recently when he went to the doctor after some concerning stomach pains and finding blood in his urine. Worried about the source of the bleeding, the doctor ordered a CAT scan that turned up the surprising cause—the man had a full set of female reproductive organs and had begun menstruating.
Jun 13, 2014
Nearly half of all the people who play video games are women, but you wouldn’t know it by the video game industry’s biggest conference.
Only five women presented on stage at the major press events at E3, the video game industry’s huge conference, which took place in LA this week.
Sadly, that number won’t be surprising to anyone familiar with sexism in the tech industry, and the particularly appalling way women are treated in the video game industry.
But here’s the really shocking part. E3 actually featured more severed heads on stage than women: eight heads.
Jun 8, 2014
Crossdressing and genderbending are not only long-time staples of Japanese anime and manga, but also of TV and celebrity culture. From this, anyone would think that Japan was one of the most open and accepting countries when it comes to people who don’t fit into traditional gender roles or relationships. However, the reality outside of media and entertainment is often quite different. Family and work life are both still clearly divided down gender lines, and men who engage in anything that blurs or crosses these lines are generally shunned. But could the girl who dumps a guy just because he turns up to a date in a dress be the one who’s really missing out?
Apr 17, 2014
The most popular images on the ‘Net are probably cats and cute girls, and the latest lovely ‘lady’ to draw the appreciative gaze of netizens is Lao Wan, the lead vocalist of a Taiwanese band called Green! Eyes. But of course, nothing is ever quite as it seems. Prepare to leave your gender preconceptions at the door.
Are you a guy wanting to try out makeup for the first time? Well Japan, the land where anything goes, has just the thing for you. Allow us to introduce the ‘my first makeup set’ especially for otokonoko! Otokonoko is written with the kanji character for ‘man’ and ‘young woman’ or ‘daughter’, and is a word used to describe men who look and dress like women.
Feb 13, 2014
What would you do if you could be a member of the opposite sex for a day? I for one would make it my first priority to get on those “women only” cars on Tokyo’s rail network and see how sweet it really is, as well as observe how all the female commuters act without men around. Next, I’d walk into any store frequented by hardcore otaku and freak the guys out just by being there, then I’d spend the evening hitting the bars I usually frequent and see how many free drinks I can score.
Posed with the same question, a group of 300 women in Japan aged 21-33 shared their thoughts on the matter, their answers ranging from the usual “pee standing up” to some surprisingly saucy suggestions.
A new advertising spot from Pantene Philippines is taking on the big issue of gender parity in the workplace. Playing on how the same behaviors are labeled positively for men and negatively for women, it encourages women “not to let labels hold them back.” Presumably by buying the correct label when it comes to shampoo…
As the 1990s-era self-help book taught us, something it seems like men are from Mars and women are from Venus. But where are the stereotypes about men and women coming from? Whether or not perceived gender differences are a product of biology, environment or an outdated patriarchal worldview is an argument for another day, but it certainly seems like men and women worldwide think the same about the opposite gender. Some male and female behaviors know no international borders and we have found the memes to (somewhat unscientifically) prove it!
Nov 10, 2013
Korea’s top women’s soccer organization, the seven-team WK-League, had its first official season in 2009. The nation’s capital is represented by the Seoul City Amazones, who are sponsored by the metropolitan government.
The star of the Amazones is forward Park Eun-seun. Park is so dominating, that other teams are wondering if there might be more to the striker’s muscular physique than just hard work in the weight room, and have officially voiced their suspicions that Park may be, in fact, a man.
Jul 24, 2012
Not everyone is born into their ideal body—that’s why people get cosmetic surgery, right?
But imagine if you were born into a body of the opposite gender, or transgender. If you thought being born with a flat chest or a crooked nose was bad, try dealing with a whole collection of unneeded parts, not to mention the stress of everyone telling you you’re a gender that you know you’re not.
Luckily, just as regular people can get plastic surgery, transgender people can physically change their bodies to match their gender by taking hormones in a process known as hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
Wonder how much the human body can change just by rebalancing some chemicals? A series of photographs documenting the physical transformation of a transgender female (chick born into a dude’s body) as she goes through HRT has been dropping jaws across the internet.
Kayo Sato is a famous model in Japan who confessed that “she” was a “he” on a TV show in 2010. She has been pretty popular since then among not only men but also girls due to her femininity and cuteness.
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses1
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”2
- We swear you’ve never seen Tokyo like this before 【Video】3
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin4
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time5
- Indonesian Muslim cleric declares selfies a sin, youths reciprocate with new selfie trend6
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China7
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular8
- New Star Wars toys are rolling their way into our galaxy right, right here9
- Team Japan’s goalkeeper is awfully good at catching cats10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens4
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo5
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence6
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin7
- Secret backmasked message found hidden in Dragon Ball Z ending song8
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China9
- Is “Ago-kui” the next “Kabe-don”?10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- “Malaysian girl holding things” is our new favourite Instagram account 【Photos】7
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time8
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces9
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood3
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”8
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing9
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises10
- Indonesian Muslim cleric declares selfies a sin, youths reciprocate with new selfie trend
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular
- New Star Wars toys are rolling their way into our galaxy right, right here
- Team Japan’s goalkeeper is awfully good at catching cats
- Mexican apparel company offers sweet Dragon Ball Z sneakers
- These Disney princess live-action movie posters aren’t real but we’d pay for them anyway
- Autistic teen artist creates masterful sketches with help of photographic memory
- How many do you know? 12 delicious foods in Japanese supermarkets and convenience stores
- Huge six-meter (19.7-foot) anime hug pillow will prove you’re a great big otaku 【Video】
- For grown-ups only! Ghibli Museum’s Straw Hat Cafe is offering “Valley of the Wind” beer
- Ritzy Japanese cop breaks Rolex wristwatch during arrest, sends suspect US$6,000 repair bill
- South Korean artist offers a bare-bones look at our most loved cartoon characters【Photos】