With such a wide range of delicious and delectable (and, erm, shall we say unusual) snack foods available in Japan, it’s a little hard to understand when people get whipped up into a frenzy over plainer options, such as toast and bread crusts fried with sugar. Now, twitter users in Japan are getting their tastebuds in a twist over the confusingly-named “English Toast”, a sweet snacklet that first became popular in Aomori prefecture and has now expanded into a whole range of conbini sandwiches. But what on earth is it?
It’s hard not to love onigiri, those handy little triangular parcels of rice and seaweed stuffed with tasty fillings ranging from plum to fish to chicken and more. Onigiri are a ubiquitous snack in Japan, available at every convenience store in a range of varieties for the cost of a few coins. But even though conbini onigiri are usually fresh and tasty, it’s also nice to run across smaller stands and stores selling hand-made onigiri sometimes. Unless you happen to stop by this establishment inside Shinagawa Station in Tokyo – because their onigiri leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to presentation. That is unless you like eating something with a big fish butt hanging out of it…
Nov 14, 2014
Ramen is an amazing food, and nothing beats traveling around Japan and eating all the different kinds. Some are certainly better than other (tonkotsu FTW!) but they all are fighting for the top spot of “best bowl of ramen ever eaten“. Some bowls of ramen you can’t wait to go back and eat again, others are categorized as “one time is enough“. But there are some bowls of ramen that you shouldn’t even taste…let alone look at. Beware; these next pictures are not for the faint of heart.
Oct 17, 2014
Back when Japan was still at the mercy of the midsummer heat, a group of…creative anime fans tried to cool off with bowls of shaved ice. Ordinarily that wouldn’t be so weird, except that they set up their strawberry syrup dispenser to look like their treats were being flavored by an anime girl’s menstrual flow. (Yeah, gross.)
But hey, what’s the alternative to anime fans getting excited over 2-D characters having their periods? Anime fans getting excited about 2-D characters not having periods! Otaku around Japan have been sharing retouched pics of animation stars showing off pregnancy test results, and the trend isn’t limited to anime’s ladies.
Oct 8, 2014
A lot of times, buying furniture is sort of a leap of faith. Sure, that sofa might seem alright when you sit down on it in the showroom for a couple of minutes, but is it really comfy enough for a full afternoon of watching football and drinking beer, plus the two-hour alcohol-induced nap that’ll follow?
Since home furnishings are designed to last for at least a couple of years, you want to spend as much time with them as you can before deciding which model to buy. That’s why Ikea stores encourage customers to sit and lie on the display models for as long as they like, with some shoppers in China taking the offer to make themselves at home as far as they can.
Oct 6, 2014
I’ll be honest. When I first saw pictures of the new key chain/cell phone strap that’s become a big seller in Aomori Prefecture, my first thought was, “Wow, that looks like a turd.” The truth is actually a few levels less disgusting, as that brown, lumpy cylinder isn’t a stool sample, but actually a sea cucumber.
However, the truth behind that truth takes things a step back towards gross. When I said the strap is “actually a sea cucumber,” I mean that literally, as that’s really the body of the slug-like marine animal.
Sep 12, 2014
The Japanese have long been known for their dexterousness. From origami to bonsai to precision engineering, Japan does small and detailed incredibly well. One thing we had no idea they were so good at, however, was gross.
What you see in the above photo, dear reader, is not in fact a trio of insect larvae but delicious, blueberry-filled gummy bugs. And they’re making one little coffee stand in northwest Japan very famous.
I get a twinge of excitement every time I peer into the cooler case at the grocery store in Japan. Not only are there tons of unique, tempting flavors of ice cream and popsicles, you can also find all sorts of tasty frozen entrees, too. The most common are things like dumplings and meatballs, but one Twitter user in Japan recently found something even more substantial, if a little sad to take in: a whole pig wrapped in plastic.
Aug 20, 2014
The relatively low fixed costs of creating manga mean that you only need to find a small niche of loyal fans to make a series viable. In the past, we’ve seen such oddities as monocular schoolgirls and gradual sister-on-brother cannibalism, but a series of comic layout pages seems to be proposing an even stranger genre: menstruating males.
From here on out, the images are going to get pretty explicit, so you might not want to be reading this while you’re at work.
Aug 16, 2014
With just a few weeks left before September, beach lovers in Japan are trying to sneak in a few last trips to the coast. A late summer trip to the shore means you’ll have to be on the lookout for jellyfish, but the good news is they don’t seem to be out in full force yet.
The bad news, though, is that Kanagawa Prefecture has something that looks sort of like a jellyfish but is even worse, with some people having spotted the Portuguese man-of-war.
Aug 16, 2014
Modeling is a tough business. You need the body, the face, and perhaps the most difficult thing to achieve: the walk. All the top models must combine these three components perfectly. In an industry that is so difficult to break into, a reality TV competition where the winners are whisked off to Italy for a potential professional modeling career could be just the chance an aspiring model is looking for! But these contestants will have to show off more than just their good looks to win this competition. What do these model wannabes have to do to prove their worth for this Chinese TV show? It might just bug some people.
Deplorable as they may be, you can at least follow the severely twisted logic behind the numerous train gropings and panty thefts in Japan. Men, in general, enjoy touching the female body and looking at sexy lingerie, and those transgressions are the result of despicable individuals whose enjoyment isn’t sufficiently lessened by a lack of important things like “consent” or “a girl actually inside the underwear.”
What’s a little harder to understand, though, is what ill-gotten benefit a man could procure by vomiting on unsuspecting women, as one suspect in Hokkaido is being accused of.
Aug 14, 2014
Last week, we took a look at a deeply moving diaper commercial, and there wasn’t a dry eye in the RocketNews24 office (with the exception of Mr. Sato, whose tear ducts are still clogged with cheese). Today, we’re taking a look at a different video about fluids being expelled from the body.
Wow, that sounds digesting and vague, doesn’t it? Well, to be specific, it’s a video about vomiting.
Hmm…still pretty abstract and nasty, huh? OK, one more try: It’s a video about whether or not eating a banana and then drinking Sprite will make you puke (SPARKLE!).
Jul 26, 2014
Back in college, when it came time to pick an upper-level science class to get my general education credits, I settled on a class in entomology, aka bug science. The fact that it started at 10 a.m., instead of my other options at 8, played a big factor in the decision, but it actually turned out to be a really interesting course with an excellent teacher.
On the first day of class, the professor told us that one of his goals was to help dispel our socially-ingrained yet illogical fear of insects, arachnids, and all other sorts of creepy crawlies that I’ve since forgotten the scientific names of. If you can get past the knee-jerk, “Eew gross!” reaction many people have to, say, a beetle, you’ll find that holding one in your hands isn’t any more likely to give you a rash or a disease than a rabbit or hamster.
And yet, I still find myself terrified to hear that the world’s largest aquatic insect was just discovered in China.
Jul 18, 2014
What would you do if you found a cockroach in your food while dining in a restaurant?
If you said “complain to the management” or “report the place to the department of sanitation”, you’d be wrong. Well, at least according to one waitress at a restaurant in Chengdu, China who told a customer that it was “normal” for creepy-crawlies to make it into restaurant food, and promptly swallowed the cockroach he had found to prove her point…
Jul 9, 2014
While snow cones never really caught on in Japan, the country sure does love shaved ice. It’s easy to see why, since every summer brings soaring temperatures and high humidity, and a bowl of shaved ice is a refreshing way to cool off. Add a dash of brightly-colored syrup, and you’ve got a low-calorie, wholesome treat.
At least, it’s usually wholesome. Put a group of creepy anime fans in charge of serving shaved ice though, and you can count on them to find a way to make it pretty disgusting.
Two ways, actually. (Potentially NSFW pics after the jump)
Jul 1, 2014
Anyone who has ever visited Japan or spent any amount of time browsing our pages will know that the country is home to literally hundreds of mascot characters, or yurukyara, each weirder than the last. From developmentally challenged sushi to the nightmarish Okazaemon, there’s certainly no lack of originality and quirk to be had.
But one small Ibrakai town has a new mascot character that, according to Japanese net users and our own Japanese staff, “even a mother couldn’t love.” This, ladies and gentlemen of the internet, is Araippe, a creature with bird-like feet, a shell for a nose, and dangling locks of hair that are actually fish fry.
Scott R Dixon
Jun 23, 2014
While bikes are an easy, economical and environmentally friendly way to get from A to B, a 19-year-old Chinese man recently learned that there’s no such thing as a safe way to get around town.
Click below to read the story of how this unfortunate young man, after losing control of his bike and smashing into a tree, spent seven hours with his testicles separated from his body. You might want to cross your legs for this one, guys.
Jun 14, 2014
Two people tragically died and three others were injured after they all entered a cesspool knee-deep in filth in order to retrieve a woman’s phone.
You’ve been semen bombed!: 27-year-old Huang played a disgusting prank on women because he had been dumped by his girlfriend and claimed that he needed a way
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing2
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex3
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers4
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!5
- Super generous Japanese megastore keeps boxes of change at register for you to use6
- Jibanyan, Japan chooses you! Pikachu trampled beneath paws of Youkai Watch mascot7
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so8
- Love curry? Why not wear it around your neck? Plastic food neckpieces get netizens talking9
- This old Nintendo game quadrupled in price in just a week10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!3
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick6
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Super generous Japanese megastore keeps boxes of change at register for you to use
- Jibanyan, Japan chooses you! Pikachu trampled beneath paws of Youkai Watch mascot
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- Love curry? Why not wear it around your neck? Plastic food neckpieces get netizens talking
- This old Nintendo game quadrupled in price in just a week
- Scope out which love hotel to take your next date to right now in Google Street View
- Store employee uses barcode scanner to defeat knife-wielding robber
- Casual cosplay: for those who want to dress the part 365 days a year【Photos】
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- 【TBT】Sampling strawberry ice cream panda bean curry
- Mr. Hanko is here! Bringing life to your name stamp and joy to your office
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”