World opinion of the United States goes up and down like a giant see-saw. Sometimes the US is seen as a world leader in economics, science and technology, yet there is no denying the fact that around the globe, there are some groups that harbor negative feelings towards Americans. Post WWII, there has been an incredibly strong bond between the USA and Japan, but has public opinion been swayed in recent years? If this small sampling of college students is representative of how the youth of Japan feel about the US, relations between the two countries will continue to be solid.
Nov 18, 2014
The moment it was unveiled earlier this week, dozens of English-language blogs and news sites slammed Burger King Japan’s new seasonal offering, suggesting that the very notion of a hamburger topped with berries and slathered with a sweet pink sauce sounded about as appetising as a sweetfish hotdog served with a side of sick.
Aside from the occasional slice of pineapple, it is indeed rare to find fruit slipped between a hamburger’s buns, but knowing how well meats like turkey and pork go with sweet and sticky glazes and sauces, we at RocketNews24 remained optimistic that Burger King was not in fact trying to kill us with its latest creation, and headed down to try it for ourselves.
And as it turns out, the Premium Berry burger is actually kind of awesome.
Good news for those of you in Japan who’ve always wanted to see more MEAT in your hamburgers. Yes, the humongous tower of a burger we’ve mentioned several times on our site is back! It’s the Tower Cheeseburger from fast food chain Lotteria! But if you want to get your hands on one of them, you may need to get ready for some quick action, because this time, they’ll be available for just one day!
Oct 2, 2014
Japan is known for its succulent wagyu beef, but most people familiar with the meat probably wouldn’t expect it to be served as … a hamburger! But that’s exactly what Japanese fast food chain Lotteria is doing. And it’s not just a one-time promotion either; they’re serving a different kind of wagyu hamburger each month as a campaign over a period of about a year. And since the new hamburger they just released at the end of September involved a highly interesting ingredient for a hamburger, we simply had to go out and try it! Yes, it’s the “Tochigi Wagyu Steak Hamburger with Tochiotome Strawberry Sauce” (Tochigi Wagyu Hamburg Steak Burger (Tochiotome Sauce)), and we couldn’t wait to see how strawberries and wagyu mix!
In the world of advertising and marketing, there is one simple truth: sex sells. And from using car-promoting models to suggestive advertisement placement, woman are usually the ones exploited for the attention of men and their wallets. But one Chinese fast-food stall owner, apparently recognizing the buying power of his female customers, decided instead to hire a super-buff male model to take off his shirt and flip burgers to entice the hungry crowds to the booth. Click below to see pictures of this beefy hamburger salesman and to find out how the astute hiring decision affected the business!
At the end of the day, police officers are just regular people in uniforms. Despite their position in society, they have all the virtues and vices as anyone else. Some might get addicted to mobile games, and others sometimes refuse to admit when they’re wrong.
And then there’s the case of the Osaka Police sergeant who over a period of nearly four years has been forcing his subordinates to purchase copious amounts of food out of their own pockets to feed his insatiable appetite.
Scott R Dixon
Dec 30, 2013
We recently found a McDonald’s in Taiwan with cashiers who served customers in ultra-cute pink maid uniforms, but apparently that was just the beginning. Not happy with just catering to McDonald’s customers with maid fetishes, this particular McDonald’s has been branching out and workers were seen wearing the iconic Japanese-style schoolgirl outfit, knee-high stockings and cat ears. These cat-eared Sailor Moon-inspired costumes were a big hit and have left netizens all over the world wanting more!
Nov 28, 2013
A Japanese burger company has a new burger wrapper designed exclusively to help women eat burgers more politely.
【Thursday Throwback】We order a Whopper with 1,050 bacon strips, Struggle to level comically huge burger
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Nov 22, 2013
Thursday Throwback is your peek into the archives of RocketNews24. We’d hate for you to miss any of the quality quirky news from Asia and Japan just because you recently stumbled on our site. And if you’re a devout RN24 reader, thank you for your continued readership! Enjoy this blast from the past!
(Originally posted on April 19, 2012 by Steven)
Well that didn’t take long. Just yesterday we shared the story of how our own Mr. Sato capitalized on Burger King Japan’s current 15 bacon strips for 100 yen (US $1.20) promotion by ordering a Whopper with 105 bacon strips. While Mr. Sato managed to finish the burger, he didn’t seem to be in the best shape afterwards, falling into a meat-induced coma and then suddenly breaking out of it only to run out of the room with his hand covering his mouth.
Surely we thought Mr. Sato had finally learned his lesson that consuming stacks of bacon is a task better left to professionals. So imagine our surprise when he came in the office holding a plastic bag sagging under the weight of a 1,050 bacon strip Whopper.
Aug 13, 2013
MOS Burger, the Japanese fast food chain famous for being a fresher, slightly healthier alternative to other hamburger joints, has recently announced that it will release a new hamburger sandwich to go alongside its existing range of plain and cheese “Tobikiri” hamburgers. The exciting twist? This one’s loaded with French demi-glace sauce and aligot, a sumptuous mix of potato and cheese that’s sure to send you to premium burger heaven.
Aug 6, 2013
The importance of the hand luggage inspection area at airports simply cannot be underestimated. Sure, they’re time consuming and can be an irritating experience for frequent fliers, but without them it would be impossible to ensure the safety of passengers on board aircraft. However, despite procedures becoming ever more stringent in recent years, it hasn’t stopped some passengers looking for ways to slip prohibited items past security. At one Chinese airport, for example, one man recently tried a quite bizarre tactic to smuggle his pet turtle onto the plane: pretending it was a hamburger.
Apr 28, 2013
The most recent theatrical installment of the long-running anime series Evangelion was released on Blu-ray and DVD on April 24. While it’s official English title is Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo, the film has a completely different Japanese title, Evangelion Theatrical Version: Q. Because if there’s one thing creators Studio Gynax hate, it’s giving a definitive answer on anything related to their mega-hit franchise.
But if there’re two things Gynax hates, the second is passing up a merchandising opportunity for Eva (as the fans call it), which is where the Evangelion Q cheese burger comes in with its nine patties.
Did we mention we bought two? Read More
Despite Japan’s image as a country where people mainly eat fish and pickled vegetables, the truth is the country has some serious carnivorous tendencies. Aside from scores of independent hamburger joints, you’ll find branches of McDonald’s and Burger King, along with home-grown chains such as First Kitchen and MOS Burger.
MOS Burger’s name becomes less intimidating, if no less nonsensical, when you find out it stands for “Mountain Ocean Sun” burger. With over 1,000 locations across Japan and a reputation for high-quality ingredients, MOS has legions of fans, so it was big news when the company announced a major change to its burgers. Read More
John Stuart Translations
Apr 21, 2013
MOS (Mountain Ocean, Sun) Food Services announced on the 18th that it would open all 1,400 of its MOS Burger outlets at 7:00 a.m. by the end of the year. The hamburger chain already operates 430 of its stores from that early hour and plans to progressively open the remainder at that time. McDonald’s Japan had been aggressive in the breakfast space with its “Morning Mac” campaign, and MOS Burger’s move is expected to intensify competition. At a press conference MOS President and CEO Atsushi Sakurada explained that the number of people eating breakfast out was increasing, especially among the elderly and working women, adding, “Change in the morning person market is accelerating. I want to strengthen our preparedness.”
Could this mean additional woes for an already troubled McDonald’s Japan?
On January 4, McDonald’s Japan launched their “Enjoy! 60 Second Service” campaign, which promises customers their meal in less than 60 seconds or their next hamburger free.
The service is only in effect from the hours of 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM and the time limit doesn’t apply to products that are known to take over a minute to prepare, like the hefty Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese.
Even still, the promotion is shaping up to be a bit too much for the poor McDonald’s Japan floor staff, who are literally on the timer with every order. Only two days after launch, Twitter has erupted with complaints that the promotion has caused a sudden drop in the quality of service, with many people sharing photos of their own “60 second disasters.”
Is there no end to the Golden Arches’ generosity?
Just as the restaurant’s french fry offer comes to an end– but not before some teenagers took full advantage– McDonald’s Japan has announced that it’s about to give away free hamburgers.
That’s right- even to degenerates like you and me!
Full details after the jump>>>
Our Japanese Reporter Eats Donut Burger in Search of “Real” American Hamburger, “I never want to eat that again”
Oct 27, 2012
Before departing on his trip to the United States, our Japanese reporter Yoshio told us that he was looking forward to eating a real American burger. What that meant to him, apparently, was a 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon patty wedged between two glazed donuts and skewered on a steak knife.
Are you happy now, America? Japan associates you with bacon and glazed donuts. Actually, that sounds about right…
Check out Yoshio’s taste report below!
Pretty much every major business in Japan had an awful financial year in 2011. Earthquakes, tsunamis, a nuclear disaster and the world economy being in dire straits will do that to a company. But at the end of the financial year, one business did something that no others could- posted a record profit. That company was hamburger chain McDonald’s.
Maybe it’s their genuinely impressive customer service. Maybe it’s the fact that they offer their food at such low prices. Maybe it’s the fact there is seemingly always some kind of a freebie up for grabs or discount offer to be taken advantage of. With coupons available all over the internet for McDonald’s restaurants in Japan, the sight of customers flashing smart-phone screens at staff or holding their mobile phones over electronic readers is extremely common. This coming weekend, however, no amount of trawling coupon websites will pay off quite as much as a trip to the store itself. Read More
Despite having once pulled out of the country, sorely missed hamburger chain Wendy’s returned Japan in 2011 with just a single location. In response to calls for additional restaurants, Wendy’s cut the tape on its new Roppongi store in August this year, bringing with it the special ‘Ocean Premium’ range, which includes two new ‘Japan Premium’ hamburgers. Read More
Special menu for McDonald’s staff – plain “salt-flavored hamburger”- is definitely good enough for regular customers!
Apr 30, 2012
You may have heard various stories about special food items at McDonald’s eaten by the staff and not on the regular menu. One such item that is rumored to be a staple among McDonald’s staff in Japan is shio-burger, or plain salt-flavored hamburger. Apparently, this item is quite well-known among McDonald’s fans, so we decided to get to the bottom of what this mysterious hamburger is like. Read More
- 4 Things women are banned from doing in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】1
- Truck driver hailed as “hero” for cutting off car on wet highway2
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu3
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website4
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- Toilet slides and turd hats: welcome to Tokyo’s crappiest exhibition7
- Don’t believe in the magic of the 100 yen store? This product will seal the deal!8
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously9
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu3
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG4
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20155
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】7
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】8
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Toilet slides and turd hats: welcome to Tokyo’s crappiest exhibition
- Don’t believe in the magic of the 100 yen store? This product will seal the deal!
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look
- Sharp’s awesome new display tech licensed to Nintendo… who may not even use it for games
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!