Barbie, the popular fashion doll from America, has been a style icon ever since her creation back in 1959. Now, at the age of 55, the controversial bombshell is hitting the streets of Harajuku – quite literally – this time inside the clear soles of some amazing, if kind of creepy, shoes.
Aug 22, 2014
On August 12, Lady Gaga arrived in Tokyo to kick off the Japan leg of her worldwide artRAVE: The ARTPOP Ball. The pop icon is no stranger to Japan, and has proclaimed her love for the country on multiple occasions in the past. Not to mention the fact that her quirky fashion style seems perfectly at home with some of the bizarre outfits you’d find in Tokyo’s Harajuku district.
One of the reporters from our Japanese sister site happens to be a dedicated ‘Little Monster’ himself. Although ‘Lady Jun’, as we’ll call him from now on, is fascinated by Lady Gaga’s eccentric fashion statements, one question has always bothered him–is it possible for a normal person to create an outfit in Lady Gaga’s signature style without breaking the bank?
Enlisting the help of his fellow reporter and amateur Sailor Venus cosplayer Yoshio, the two headed over to a Japanese 100-yen shop (the equivalent of a dollar store in the States) to find out for themselves. The end result of their mission? Well, let’s just say that their creation was a bit puzzling.
Aug 19, 2014
If you’re into Japanese fashion, makeup or hair styling, you ought to be acquainted with the word “dokumo”. An abbreviation for dokusha moderu, which literally means “reader model”, dokumo is a term for amateur models who usually have full-time jobs aside from their occasional modelling stints. Many popular fashion icons, models and artists including Tsubasa Masuwaka and the sensational Kyary Pamyu Pamyu were dokumo before they made a name for themselves.
Japanese fashion magazines often feature dokumo from all walks of life, and some of the more popular dokumo even attain a celebrity-like status and have fans gushing over them online and in real life. One of the hottest dokumo of the moment representing the young, fashionable generation from Harajuku is this doe-eyed 19-year-old, Batusing Takaaki, who has over 14,000 followers on Twitter! Witness the reason for his popularity after the jump!
Jun 2, 2014
Like it or loathe it, Pharrell Williams’ “Happy” is still killing it in the charts more than six months after its initial release and remains of the most played songs on the radio. Sure, the lyrics are kind of simple, and its gets kind of repetitive, but when an artist devotes so much energy to being upbeat and provides a track that you just can’t help tapping your feet to, it’s hard not to crack a smile.
Fan-made remakes of the music video are ten a penny right now, with people all over the world feeling the urge to make their own smiling, strutting, and dancing compilations, but one particular video, titled “Harajuku Happy“, is by far one of the coolest we’ve seen, giving us a tour of the titular town while showing that life in Japan’s capital isn’t all black suits and bowing.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Nov 9, 2012
In celebration of Walt Disney’s 110th Anniversary, Disney has put together a literal dreamland of illumination displays in Harajuku, Tokyo. A part of the larger “Walt Disney 110th Anniversary Omotesando Harajuku Dream Together Project 2012,” these light displays are open from November 1st to December 25 and are already drawing crowds of viewers.
Our female correspondent visited the display last week and tells us that while Harajuku’s Disney Dreamland illumination event is a must see for Disney lovers, even if you aren’t a Disney fan, you will surely be impressed by this awesome display of lights.
Starbucks Espresso Journey in Harajuku Provides a Unique Coffee Experience at the World’s First Starbucks Pop-up Store
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 26, 2012
Starbucks Japan invites you to enjoy a “supreme espresso experience” at the chain’s first-ever pop-up store in Tokyo. Created by designer Oki Sato, co-founder of design company Nendo, and nestled in the trendy Harajuku district of Tokyo, this unique Starbucks event is aimed at providing visitors with a memorable coffee drinking experience. Visitors can enjoy back-to-basics coffee drinks which highlight the richness of Starbucks espresso and are even able to try their hand at making Starbucks coffee and sample Starbucks Via flavored coffee in the second floor’s “experience space.”
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously1
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu2
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website3
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January4
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police5
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV6
- Can’t cope with the feeding frenzy at meal times? Why not stack your cats!7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z9
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20153
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online4
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG5
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu8
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt9
- 39 looks at the lighter side of Asia10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV
- Can’t cope with the feeding frenzy at meal times? Why not stack your cats!
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】
- Clever cat duo cause havoc in the bathroom but are too cute to scold
- Cotton Wife and Cotton Husband aren’t huggy pillows, they’re life partners for the lonely!
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka
- The scariest snow sculpture you’ll see this winter
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 2015
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】