There’s an unwritten rule that seeing food in anime makes seem even more appealing than it would in real life. Now it seems that there may actually be some scientific evidence supporting that idea. A pilot study conducted recently in Brooklyn, New York found that manga can be used as a tool to encourage children and teenagers to increase their fruit intake.
With rapid developments in medicine and an overall increase in awareness when it comes to our general health, in many parts of the world people are living to an age like never before. Although many of us pay careful attention to the advice given to us by medical professionals, health and fitness magazines, and the media in general, curiously some of the healthiest and oldest people in the world rarely visit their doctor, nor do they have access to the information that we in the developed world do. Is it possible that the secret to longevity lies elsewhere?
A village in Bama Yao Autonomous County, China, is one of five locations across the globe where people are known to live far beyond the global average, with few suffering from health problems during their lifetime. Many of the inhabitants of this village live to be more than 100 years old, and despite the villagers’ environment being a tropical region where ultraviolet rays are strong, women of the area have a pale complexion and are strikingly attractive.
With a wealth of health information at our fingertips, most of us try to take good care of our bodies, getting our five fruit and veg a day and enjoying coffee and alcohol in moderation. It’s not always easy to maintain a healthy lifestyle while holding down a job or taking care of a family, though, so foodstuffs like pre-cut vegetables or ready-made side dishes often find their way into our fridges. But despite carrying a healthy image, are the ready-to-eat vegetables and ready meals found at your local convenience store really as nutritional as they’re thought to be?
If Japanese food specialist Kiyotaka Minami’s latest book “The 19 Food Habits that are Bad for the Body” is to be believed, these pre-packed time-saving gems could actually be doing our bodies more harm than good.
Many people in Japan think that American school lunches are unhealthy. For the most part, they are right. When photos of the greasy fried foods and brown piles of slop that are served to students in the US surfaced on the internet, Japanese netizens were shocked. With all the talk of Americans being overweight and school lunches being fat-laden and unhealthy, our own Japanese reporter wondered, “Is it really as bad as it seems?” During his recent trip to the US, our reporter was allowed to try the lunch served at a school in the United States. The following is a translation of his encounter with American school lunch.
Japanese Netizens are Disgusted by American School Lunches: “I’m glad I was born in Japan. Why is all their food one color!?”
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 30, 2013
“School lunch” and “healthy”; these two things don’t always go together. Despite numerous doctors and scientists stressing the importance of properly fueling the growing bodies of young children, budget cuts and time constraints (among other excuses) make it extremely difficult to deliver nutritious foods to schools.
When snapshots of American school lunches showed up on Japanese site Naver Matome, many Japanese citizens were horrified by the greasy slop masquerading as food that was strewn about the plastic lunch trays.
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance1
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】2
- No, a bridge didn’t collapse – Tokyo’s crazy Hakozaki highway junction really looks like this3
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz4
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】5
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】6
- Japanese deodorant sheets for ladies smell so nice some guys don’t need the actual girl7
- Want a bit of One Piece magic? This real-looking Devil Fruit is sure to set the right mood!8
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】9
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?7
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker8
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!9
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- Japanese deodorant sheets for ladies smell so nice some guys don’t need the actual girl
- Want a bit of One Piece magic? This real-looking Devil Fruit is sure to set the right mood!
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films
- Chinese man pulls off best Cthulhu impersonation ever with live snakes in his sinuses
- Chinese man leaps to his death during five-hour shopping trip with girlfriend
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane
- We go octopus hunting, learn how to turn octopus heads inside-out
- Not so fun in the sun – Cases of heatstroke hit a year-high last week in Japan
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】