Don’t like going to high school? Instead of physically going to campus and dealing with other whiney teens and your annoying teachers, you could send an avatar to go to a virtual school for you! Starting next spring, a private correspondence school in Chiba Prefecture called Meisei Cyber High School is opening its virtual doors!
Sep 1, 2014
Nanshiki baseball is a variation of the sport unique to Japan where the game is played with a rubber ball rather than the typical hardball or softball. Although it’s not nearly as popular as the other sports, the competition can be fierce especially among the younger players. One example of this can be found in the 59th National High School Nanshiki Baseball Championships semifinals wherein one game turned into a 50-inning and four-day long test of endurance. And as if that wasn’t enough, the winner of that game had to proceed to the final round only a few hours after finishing.
If you are a brain surgeon trying to get a side job flipping burgers at a fast food joint, you’re more than likely to be called “overqualified” and sent packing; yes, even if you really have a passion for perfecting the ultimate burger flip. Your services are clearly required elsewhere, despite your dreams of being Employee of the Month. But being overqualified for sports isn’t something most athletes generally have to worry about blowing back on them.
Unless, apparently, your sport is Japanese high school baseball, as one especially talented and furiously base-stealing Gunma Prefecture player learned recently.
Aug 19, 2014
If you’ve ever had to attend one of your sibling’s high school gymnastics team performances and been bored out of your mind at all the jumping around and the bizarre Whose Lines is it Anyway/Clueless Gamer-style grading system, and thought to yourself, “Man, I’d be much more entertained if this was set to the Attack on Titan theme song. And would it kill these guys to throw a fart joke in there?,” you’re in luck; because this genius Kagoshima Prefecture high school men’s gymnastics team delivers on all of that in spades.
Jul 3, 2014
The Japanese internet is exploding after a succession of high school girls in Fukuoka Prefecture disturbingly collapsed during school hours on Monday. Students who were at the scene took to their Twitter accounts to post updates as the bizarre spectacle unfolded.
While the most likely explanation for the mysterious series of events is that the girls were induced into a state of mass panic after the first girl collapsed, some are attributing it to a vengeful spirit. Feel free to draw your own conclusions from the details, but either way, this is one creepy happening.
Apr 11, 2014
This week, the latest in a new mini-series here at RocketNews24 which we’ll tentatively call “People Doing Stupid Things They Really Should Have Guessed Would Backfire Badly”, we bring you a student who is claiming to have been quarantined after submitting a sample of his dog’s urine for a school medical.
The anonymous post on Japanese forum 2channel is titled “What happened when I put my dog’s pee in for the school urine test”. Let’s take a look at how the saga panned out!
Ah, high school. Acne, gangly limbs, and enough rampaging hormones to give you more shakes than a full pot of coffee. Can’t say I miss it. But by the looks of things, kids in Japan are totally owning high school, and today, hot on the heels of last month’s photo collection, we bring you a selection of photos of high school kids who clearly know how to have a good time.
May we present, in photo form, A Day in the Life of a Japanese High Schooler.
High school is a drag, especially in Japan. Along with all the typical tests and homework that come with being a student, there’s a seemingly never-ending list of rules (you must wear special indoor shoes, wear a mask if you’re sick, open all the windows in the dead of winter to ventilate the room) that are enough to make even the most diligent of students want to scream. That’s why these Japanese students are really nailing this high school thing. Not only have they found a way to have a little fun amongst the stress and pressure of school life, they’re pulling it off with style and creativity that not only brings a smile to their own faces, but the faces of procrastinating netizens all over the world. Nailed it!
Even though the Japanese kind of have a reputation as stoic individuals reluctant to express emotion, we’ve shown you time and again that the Japanese are suckers for a good heart string-tugging story as much as the people of the next country.
Still, it’s safe to say there’s more than an average amount of social pressure to keep your feelings to yourself in Japan, especially for authority figure types like teachers. Which might explain why the teacher in this next story went to extraordinary lengths to pass on one final message to his recent graduating class.
Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends
Dec 24, 2013
Twitter is almost universally popular nowadays. While Facebook is seeing declining usage in Japan and among teens in general, Twitter seems to be hanging on to its popularity. It’s hard to say how long this will last–does anyone remember Mixi?–but for now, getting attention on Twitter in Japan is still a big deal.
So when Reika Oozeki’s Vine video got retweeted almost 5,000 times, we had to check it out!
A video of a high school girl getting bullied at a public venue is causing uproar among Chinese netizens this week. The online community in China has seen their fair share of bullying videos, but this recent incident has attracted a tidal wave of attention due to a certain action taken by the oppressor to humiliate her docile victim.
Sep 18, 2013
Feeling glum, chum? A bit down in the dumps? Just can’t seem to do anything right? Well, why not let a few Japanese high school girls, or joshi kosei, cheer you up with their (unintentionally) amusing conversations, all documented on the world-wide web thanks to Twitter!
It’s all too easy to sneer whenever someone in the media brings up “the youth of today” and how they’re always wasting time with their gadgets, music and wallpaper paste or whatever it is they do instead of studying to become the people who will one day run the country and help us on and off the toilet.
But when we stumble upon photos of such epic proportions as these, we can’t help but forgive Japan’s youth for tooling around every now and then, and find ourselves smiling as we look on and think: man, that’s cool.
Japanese High School Girl Beauty Pageant Open to Online Voting, May Not Accurately Represent Japanese High Schools
Dec 12, 2012
The photos above are the contestants for the upcoming Kanto Miss JK Contest, a beauty pageant to be held on December 27 in Shibuya, Tokyo to decide on the cutest Japanese high school girl in Kanto, the region on the main island of Japan encompassing Tokyo and the prefectures around it.
Before we say anything too malicious, we’d like to acknowledge that perceptions of beauty—or “cuteness”, in this case—can vary greatly among different cultures. However, as many Japanese netizens have pointed out, a thick mask of makeup and hair dyed brown or blonde is hardly representative of a typical Japanese high school girl, let alone a cute one.
For the past few years, Japan has been in a fuss about soushoku danshi, literally translated as “herbivore boys.” These are young men who represent the antithesis of the rowdy, skirt-chasing, big-spending corporate man associated with the 1980s bubble economy: they’re passive, conservative with money, prefer to stay in instead of going out drinking with coworkers and are generally uninterested in sex.
Such personal lifestyle choices wouldn’t be considered problematic if Japanese society wasn’t struggling with a declining birthrate and low consumer spending. But when an ever-increasing portion of your male population is enjoying their evening with a cup of tea at the local manga cafe when you need them to be out buying cars and procreating, you’ve got a situation on your hands.
To make matters worse, a survey conducted by The Japanese Association for Sex Education (JASE) reveals that the number of young Japanese women who have had sex has decreased dramatically over the past 6 years.
Perhaps the ladies of Japan have finally given up on trying to get their male counterparts into bed and joined convent themselves.
The baseball world in Japan has been shaken to its core by a pitch so fast it stands among the fastest in the world – and it was done during a high school game.
The pitch, thrown during a televised semifinal match between Ichinoseki Gakuin and Hanamaki Higashi, has focused all the attention of professional baseball onto young Shohei Otani, the pitcher for Hanamaki Higashi High School.
- Anime’s 10 biggest male perverts, as chosen by Japanese fans1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Why Japanese doesn’t need swear words3
- Did you know Ayumi Hamasaki released a new single? Apparently neither did anyone else…4
- Five ways to trap your boyfriend into revealing that he’s cheating on you, and why they are dumb5
- Taiwanese YouTuber’s punny pick-up line gets him a girl’s number in just 36 seconds6
- Thai schoolgirl invents eco-friendly method of roach disposal using 3 simple ingredients7
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us8
- Our Japanese writer shares his tale of the night he was joined by an unwelcome guest9
- Chinese couple’s suicide attempt leads to serious injury, criminal charges, and $24,000 in damages10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Why Japanese doesn’t need swear words2
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results3
- Chinese woman in no mood to have SUV towed shows she has towing capacity too 【Video】4
- Gorgeous Taiwanese woman recruiting “temporary boyfriends” to fund her China travels5
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads6
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized7
- Attack of the Clones: Finalists in this year’s Miss Korea contest once again looking eerily alike8
- Is the Fountain of Youth in Thailand? 1965’s Miss Universe still looks pretty incredible9
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】9
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Taiwanese YouTuber’s punny pick-up line gets him a girl’s number in just 36 seconds
- Thai schoolgirl invents eco-friendly method of roach disposal using 3 simple ingredients
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- Our Japanese writer shares his tale of the night he was joined by an unwelcome guest
- Chinese couple’s suicide attempt leads to serious injury, criminal charges, and $24,000 in damages
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】
- Three Kyoto sushi shops are sending girls reeling in culinary delight
- Ghibli food brought to life for one week of amazing lunches at elementary school in Japan
- Super-cheap yakiniku restaurant sells meat by the mouthful to give you exactly what you want
- Amazing schoolgirl drummer nails anime theme, and her music career is just getting started
- Attention serious meat lovers: The all-you-can-eat Whoppers from Burger King is back!!
- Get inspired by these 700-year-old words from a Japanese monk
- Go to hell: Unzen Hot Springs invites visitors to take an infernal stroll through a field of deadly hell-mouths