In an effort to convince all of Japan to enjoy an ice-cold Coca Cola during the hot and humid summer months, Coca Cola Japan has created a campaign giving anyone the chance to win a Coke bottle made out of ice. Click on to find out how they’re made, how to get your hands on one, and how not to enjoy a solid block of ice!
As we’ve seen before, China is not one to mess around when there’s a job to be done. If there’s a wasp’s nest up a tall tree, for example, the military has just the answer: a cannon that shoots pure fire.
Now it seems the Yellow River in the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region has frozen over and it threatens the surrounding area with flooding. A wasp’s nest is nasty business but for a problem of this magnitude, the military is calling in some heavier artillery.
- Rona Moon
Jul 31, 2013
Fancy a shark, a squid or a manta ray floating in your highball?
Now you can, without all the bother of hauling them out of the ocean. Cute miniature versions perfectly formed from ice that will swim on the surface of your beverage.
When it’s the middle of summer, what do you reach for to get a little relief? Ice cream? Watermelon? How about Cup Noodles?
For most, boiling hot soup is the last thing you want to eat on a hot day, but the official Nissin website has a solution: Ice Cup Noodles. Last year, they suggested adding ice cubes to their popular instant ramen, but the exact amount of ice was unclear, resulting in unhappy (and sweaty) summer soup eaters. This year, Nissin has an exact recipe for those in need of a summer treat. Hungry and desperate for a little relief from the hot Tokyo afternoon, our reporter set out to make the perfect Ice Cup Noodles.
In the never-ending hunt to find ways to keep cool, many in Japan have been flocking to ‘cool towels’, which miraculously claim to provide a cooling sensation with the mere touch of moisture.
However, do these man-made wonders have the goods to keep people cooler than pure ice in such scorching weather? On this tremendously hot and sweaty day, I was tasked with finding out…
- Oona McGee
May 4, 2013
Your drink’s icy cold but the manga ice cubes in your glass are h-h-hot! Now taste the palpitating sound effects from your favourite comic books thanks to these new Manga Kōri, Comic Ice silicone molds from Runa Corporation.
Coming in three designs, ゴゴゴ (go-go-go, the sound effect for rumbling), ドドド (do-do-do, the sound of running, galloping and whirring machinery), and あ゛あ゛あ゛ (a-a-a, best translated as “Arrgh”), all appear in your glass in the same font that’s often scrawled over tense moments in a manga character’s storyline.
Winter. It’s cold and miserable most days, but every so often the freezing winds produce something magical that is awesome enough to take your mind off of your frozen toes. This is one of those things.
- Master Blaster
Jul 29, 2012
This summer isn’t even half way through, but everyone in Japan can firmly agree that it sucks – hard. For the past two weeks the temperature has hovered around 35℃ in many parts of the country with a hardly a cloud to weaken the scorching sun.
Walking around in the streets, heat exhaustion has me pining for winter like it was a long lost lover whom I’m willing to forgive for cheating on me with 10 dudes as long as she comes back for one precious moment to ease my soul.
Just then some news hit me like a bucket of cold water. There is a restaurant in Ginza called Fresh Pasta Monster that is serving “Shaved Ice Fresh Pasta” for a limited time Now that’s something to make me forget about that tramp, winter.
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- The cosplay of Tokyo Game Show 2014 【Photos】2
- Man vs. Beast! Competitive eater Kobayashi takes on hamster in hot dog-eating contest 【Video】3
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】4
- Japanese illustrator imagines girls as birds, creates new stereotype genre – “Bird Type Girls”5
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea6
- Mr. Sato gives his first ever autograph, gets a broken heart in return7
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!8
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong9
- School kids in Japan build incredible working tea cup rides for school festivals10
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】2
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures3
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Wife gets revenge on pervy husband with equally NSFW bento6
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy7
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls Part 7: “We Guess We Made Another One” 【Photos】8
- Japanese lingerie company designs special bra for Japan’s marshmallow girls9
- Young Chinese entrepreneur tries marketing menstrual pads to men, gets heavy cash flow10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!7
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years8
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】9
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea
- Mr. Sato gives his first ever autograph, gets a broken heart in return
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- School kids in Japan build incredible working tea cup rides for school festivals
- Pirates, pink hair and temporary tattoos: The girls of Tokyo Game Show 2014【Photos】
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens
- Mr. Sato shows up in costume, is the first to purchase an iPhone 6 Plus, meets Ken Watanabe AGAIN
- Insane lines for the iPhone 6 from around the world
- Horsemeat sushi: For when you’re tired of spicy tuna and California rolls
- A look around this year’s Tokyo Game Show 【Video and photo dump】
- Tokyo Disney Sea adds pitch-black sausage, other spooky treats for Halloween