These days, cosplay functions as a 40 billion yen (US$390 million) industry and has a large impact on Japan’s economy. Now, before moving on, please allow me to clarify that ‘cosplay’ to Japan does not only refer to people dressing up as anime and video game characters, but includes all manner of live action, Western, original characters, nurses, maids, and so on. Virtually any costume worn for fun is considered cosplay over here. So what kinds of special services are available to avid cosplayers in Japan? And how are cosplayers themselves making the most out of this bountiful, infinitely tolerant environment? Read More
Nov 21, 2013
In May 2011, Japan’s Nissan Motor Company was awarded the rights to manufacture a line of new generation yellow taxis for New York City, with the aim of replacing the myriad varieties of cabs on the city’s streets with one uniform design by 2020. Dubbed the “Taxi of Tomorrow” by the contest organisers, Nissan’s car was to become a major part of New York City life, and naturally came as a boon to the Japanese company.
Sadly, the project has stalled following a number of legal disputes and issues over accessibility, but Nissan is nevertheless exceptionally proud of its modern take on the classic yellow cab, and recently exhibited it for all to see in a temporary showroom in Tokyo’s trendy Ginza shopping district.
Jan 23, 2013
In recent years along with many other developing Asian nations, China has been increasing its level of industrial manufacturing as it readies itself for remarkable industrial growth. However, neglecting its environment for the sake of industry has brought with it the problem of dense smog pollution, with microscopic smog particles with a diameter of 2.5 micrometres or less having been detected in overwhelming large amounts in China’s air in recent days.
The smog is the same as that found in factory exhausts, car fumes and the like. Measured per cubic meter, at one instance the observed value of pollution in Beijing reached levels 10 times the Chinese government’s recommended safety level. If one were to go by the Wealth Health Organization (WHO)’s recommended value, the figure rises to 40 times greater than normal. When it comes to pollution, it is thought that of the asian nations undergoing remarkable growth, 70% of nations are reaching a critical level. The toxic substances that seep out into the environment cause asthma, pneumonia and even in some cases death.
Of course, those living in highly polluted areas will surely want to know how their air compares, but measuring the levels each time can prove tiresome and expensive. With this in mind, one innovative company called Clean Air Asia has stumbled upon a way determine just how polluted your air is, and has designed an interactive map based on – wait for it – nostil hair.
Making it in the Japanese Videogame Industry: Exclusive Interview with Developer and Author James Kay
Jan 5, 2013
Dutch-British game developer James Kay found his way into the videogame industry after studying Audiovisual design at the Willem de Kooning Academy and moving to London to work at Intelligent Games and Criterion Software. He relocated to Japan in 2001 and, after picking up a wealth of experience at companies including Taito, Genki and Marvelous Entertainment, went on to co-found Score Studios, a company that has received critical acclaim and is fast becoming a big name in the industry.
Detailing the many hurdles that foreigners working in the Japanese videogame industry face, James’ book Japanmanship: the ultimate guide to working in videogame development in Japan may well prove to be an invaluable resource for those thinking of making the move to the spiritual home of videogames.
With the book coming off the presses just last December, RocketNews24 headed to Score Studios in Tokyo’s Yoyogi to meet with James and talk about his book, life in the videogame industry and which Nintendo Princess he’d rather rescue.
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick1
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google2
- How to cook miso soup (the right way) in a few simple steps【RocketKitchen】3
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world6
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan7
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters8
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute9
- The weirder the better? These Japanese zakka are hot sellers in Korea10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make6
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less7
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art8
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence9
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute
- The weirder the better? These Japanese zakka are hot sellers in Korea
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage
- Tokyo train delayed due to the strangest of reasons
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious
- Want to make music, but can’t play an instrument? Casio app turns your hums into full tracks!
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make
- Eyes on your own paper! 1,200 Chinese students take test outdoors to prevent cheating 【Photos】