Although offering up high-tech features and services to their customers seems like an obviously good idea, businesses must always be wary of alienating the less technologically inclined. Such is the case with Japan Post (JP) who once had to come up with a low-tech solution to a high-tech problem.
- Joan Coello
Jan 10, 2014
It’s common knowledge that in order to mail something, you’ll need to know the name and rough address of the recipient, even if you’re lacking a couple of minor details. But what if, let’s say, the intended mailing destination is not in a building, but on some random corner of a street? Chances are, your mail is going to be left undelivered. Unless, it seems, you live in Japan!
Japan Post’s dedicated workers successfully delivered mail to someone whose location was “on the street”, leaving Japanese netizens in awe of their dedication and skill! But how did they do it?
As you might expect, people in Japan don’t send out Christmas cards. When you’re spending the month of December preparing for the 25th, the most romantic day of the year in Japan, who has the time to write cards for a foreign holiday? Instead, people from Sapporo to Naha send nengajyo, traditional New Year’s postcards. When every single card is guaranteed to be delivered on the first of the year (if sent out by December 25), the post office has to get serious. What better way than with an army of motorcycle-riding postal workers?
- Rachel Tackett
Aug 18, 2013
The Internet is full of sample sentences and letter structures to use when writing business mail, cover letters, or press releases. They’re an invaluable resource if you wish to be taken seriously, especially when you’re not used to writing letters for professional purposes.
Now, the Japan Post is extending their helpful how-to section to include more than just business examples. They’ve got sections for season’s greetings, ceremonial matters (such as invitations and notifications), and even personal letters! Apparently, the art of letter writing is so lost on Japanese people that they require a standard format to follow for the confidence of writing to one another. There are 19 categories outlined in the personal letters section, including advice, requests, and even marriage proposals! It’s like Japan has been taken back to the days of passing notes in middle school! “Do you like me? Check yes, no, or explain your decision using the standard letter format outlined by the Japan Post.” Read More
A widespread discussion was ignited among Twitter users of Japan recently over the act of delivering pigeons through delivery services such as Yu-Pack, the courier of the Japanese post office. It started – as these things often do – with an award-winning manga writer taking a hike through the mountains.
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’1
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race2
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets3
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today4
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】5
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment6
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing7
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan8
- Run For Your Lives! Zombie-infested obstacle course heading to Singapore this October【Video】9
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- 12 beautiful Japanese train stations by the sea10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan
- Run For Your Lives! Zombie-infested obstacle course heading to Singapore this October【Video】
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Enjoy latte art at home with cute marshmallow cats!
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers
- International survey finds that 90% are open to a romantic encounter with a Korean partner
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!