Dating these days is a complete minefield, and nowhere more so than in Japan. There’s a lot of stress put on guys to impress a girl with their choice of date spot. Sure, you can get away with cute cafe dates with yummy tea and cake during the “getting to know you” phase, but after that the onus is pretty much always on the guy to come up with something enjoyable each time. In fact, indecisiveness when it comes to date decisions is a major turn-off for Japan’s ladies, according to a survey conducted by Livedoor. To avoid potential dating disasters next time you’re in Japan, here are the top five dates to avoid if you don’t want her to run screaming!
Now, you’re probably familiar with the stereotype of Western guys moving to Japan to meet women. It’s a nasty stereotype…with a few grains of truth to it, we suppose. But at least we can now rest easy knowing it’s a two-way street, because there are tons of Japanese girls who only date Western men.
If you happen to have a lot of Japanese friends, you may have met one or two women with a penchant for non-Japanese gentlemen. While it’s not usually as bad as your one creepy guy friend–you know the one we’re talking about–have you ever wondered what’s going on with that?
Here’s a quick look at life on the other side of the looking glass, with nine reasons some Japanese women only date foreign guys.
Wherever we live in the world, we all have our own unique cultures and customs. While we might take our own behavioral habits for granted, someone who comes from a different culture might see that same behavior as peculiar or somewhat mysterious. This time around we’ve collected a selection of opinions about foreigners’ views on the behavior of Japanese women. Join us as we reveal all below.
Apr 28, 2013
The number of Japanese women who are struggling with food and living expenses is reported to be on the rise. While most women try to increase their earnings by taking on an extra part time job or even changing occupations completely, there are others who resort to some rather unscrupulous methods. One such method is to use interactive smartphone games to trick men into buying them dinner to reduce the burden of their food costs.
All the men out there, brace yourselves as what is about to unfold will leave you squirming!
Nov 6, 2012
Shit Girls Say is a comedy web series that pokes fun at the cliches and stereotypes associated with young female speech.
Of course, there’s a good chance you probably knew this; the videos have racked up more than 32 million combined views to date and spawned countless parodies exploring the quirky verbal mannerisms of black girls, single girls, Asian moms and more.
Well now Japan is finally in on the joke with “Sh*t Japanese Girls Say.”
Oct 15, 2012
In this age of global travel and internet communication, meeting and even getting seriously involved with someone from outside your country is a very real possibility. For that matter, how do Japanese women and men rate as romantic interests? Takako Matsushita, a Japanese cabin attendant who has also appeared on T.V. and in magazines, offers her perspective on how Japanese women may get higher marks than Japanese men in the international dating market. And her message? Japanese men need to watch out, or all the nice ladies in Japan may be snatched up by foreign men! Read More
Survey Shows 16 Out of 16 Foreigners Would Like to Date a Japanese Person, but What Would They Like to do on Their Dates?
Karen Bremer Masuda
Aug 31, 2012
In the midst of present day globalization, and with international marriages on the rise, how do Japanese people fare on the ‘international stage’ of dating?
We decided to find out by sending our reporter to Comiket 82 earlier this month and asking REAL LIVE foreign visitors if they would like to date a Japanese person.
Jul 4, 2012
Ladies: do you have a pair of “lucky” underwear that you set aside for those special, sensual occasions?
Japan actually has a word for these: shobu shitagi, which can be translated as “game underwear” or “game panties” (though we know of a couple of New Zealanders who would call them “business panties”). Not only that, a recent poll conducted by Japanese female healthcare product company LC love cosmetic reveals that Japanese women’s preferred color of “game panties” actually differs by region.
Guys: this could come in handy someday, so take notes.
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”3
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos6
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’7
- Creepy or cute? Feel the Panda Train’s intense gaze before sightseeing in resort town Shirahama8
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping9
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!6
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- Creepy or cute? Feel the Panda Train’s intense gaze before sightseeing in resort town Shirahama
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date
- Press as hard as you like, these new mechanical pencils just refuse to break
- Artist creates “PokeMonstrosities” that are the stuff of nightmares
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】
- Enjoy a relaxing bowl of tea with these beautiful goldfish-shaped teabags from Taiwan
- Women at World Wushu Championships attack each other at the speed of light
- These Guys Keep All Their Cuteness Even When Cooked! We Try Deep-Fried Axolotl in Osaka