Recently, we at RocketNews24 brought you all a plethora of pie charts representing what it’s like to be a member of the Japanese working class. But let’s face it; numbers can only convey so much without a certain amount of contrast and perspective. So, rather than quantify the various quirks that one encounters in a Japanese workplace, we’d like to qualify the points that Japanese people find surprising when they go to work abroad. Here’s a collection of seven observations that Japanese people made while doing business in foreign countries.
There are many things that we generally understand about what it is to be a Japanese businessman. The country has cultivated a careful image of men and women in black suits putting on the appearance of hard work, with their constant movement and expected overtime. But how much do we really know about what it’s like to be a member of the Japanese workforce. Why do they do it and how do they like it? What is the atmosphere like and where can the workers find joy?
To help us wrap our heads around these many mysteries, a series of helpful charts have been collected by Japanese website, Naver Matome, throwing some quantitative perspective on how Japanese workers really spend the majority of their waking hours.
For many of us out there, the recent festivities of the New Year will be leaving our pockets empty and our stomachs a little bloated, but if a certain recent job advertisement is anything to go by there’s a way to make some quick cash on a large scale. No this is not some dodgy backstreet deal but a fully fledged chance for a six month contract with Sega.
The position offers a 2 million yen (US$22.5k) compensation, and while it’s ongoing for a six month period, the actual hours of work sum up to no more than one week!
Hmmm, I’m getting notes of sandalwood, rosemary and a hint of boiled cabbage…
We kid you not; there are people out there being paid to smell others’ farts and diagnose physical health based on their various odours. And not only that, it pays well, with reports of professional fart smellers in China being paid up to US$50,000 per year.
Think you’ve got what it takes to hone your hooter and examine anal emissions? Read on.
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles1
- Chinese man leaps to his death during five-hour shopping trip with girlfriend2
- 10 Japanese foods you can make at home!3
- What Apple and Microsoft Would Look Like if Personified as Anime Characters4
- HEMORRHOIDS! The Best of Comically Bad Japanese T-Shirts on Non-Japanese Torsos5
- Your holiday (counterfeit) gift-buying guide!6
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot7
- Beijing man caught on camera groping commuter from beneath her seat 【Video】8
- Video game maker’s Akihabara pizza joint has great food, not a single maid9
- Onsen trivia! Finding the hottest, highest, and healthiest hot springs in Japan10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer4
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour5
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts6
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director7
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car8
- Subway mini skirt peeping tom found innocent9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】2
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】3
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs4
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!5
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong6
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right7
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China8
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】9
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- Your holiday (counterfeit) gift-buying guide!
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot
- Beijing man caught on camera groping commuter from beneath her seat 【Video】
- Video game maker’s Akihabara pizza joint has great food, not a single maid
- Onsen trivia! Finding the hottest, highest, and healthiest hot springs in Japan
- Gifu, Kyoto Rack Up Highest Averages in Japanese Boob Size Survey, Saitama Falls Flat
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car
- We compare global attitudes about cosmetic surgery
- Adorable chinchilla causes Japanese netizens to have cute attack 【Photos】
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer
- Freshman facepalms: Japanese college students struggle to answer basic astronomy questions
- 12 urban legends about Tokyo Disneyland