Anyone who has ever owned a cat will know of their fondness for boxes, pots, pans, and bags — if an object can in any way become a bed, fort, or platform to sit on, they’ll claim it. They are also, as cat owners will no doubt have noticed, at once both deceptively long animals (when they stretch out or are held vertically, they magically unfold like some kind of fur-covered extendable ladder) and yet can squeeze into some of the smallest spaces imaginable.
With that in mind, and because a) it’s the weekend and b) they’re just so cute, here’s a little selection of photos of cats making pots their own.
Tokyo is home to a large number of talented artists, but recently one in particular has been standing out. Japanese people and netizens around the world have become captivated by the versatile art of Ms. Yuko Higuchi, whose surreal works both delight and cause you to slightly question the state of her mind. Her style has been described as “dark kawaii“ (kawaii=cute), blending the real with the fantastical and seemingly drawing heavy inspiration from Alice in Wonderland (in fact, it looks like Alice and friends even make cameos in some of the pictures!). The pictures of anthropomorphic cats and fairy tale-like girls are especially popular. Even if you’re not usually a fan of art, you should definitely take a minute to look at these pictures – they may be just the thing needed to convert you!
They may look innocent, but hidden under all that fluff is a nefarious plan for bunny Internet domination. Cats have been at the top of the net kingdom for too long and bunnies sleeping with their paws in the air are just cute enough to overthrow them. Who will win? It may be too soon to tell, but no matter who comes out on top, the real winners are us netizens who get to reap all the benefits of an adorable rivalry.
It’s Monday again and you know what that means! Your Monday Kickstart video is here to get you going through another week.
This week’s video features a cat’s up-close encounter with a popular coin bank found at stores in Japan. Watch and prepare to say, “Awww.”
Kohei Matsuno is no ordinary barista. What started as his way of sprucing up an ordinary cup of complimentary coffee for patrons at his part-time job has blossomed into a form of creative expression that has people around the world smiling. Known as “Mattsun” by his Internet followers, Mr. Matsuno brings life and whimsy to an otherwise ordinary cup of joe. Come with us now for a sneak peek at the work that goes into some of Japan’s most beautiful latte art.
From Kraso, online Japanese retailer of quirky home goods, comes the Fluffy Big Bread Cushion Party collection that promises to “wrap you up in a dreamy state of mind.” The collection consists of four different styles of overstuffed furniture food that you can cuddle up with. Because sometimes you just don’t want to deal with the world. And sometimes, the best way to do that is to turn into a delicious baked good.
- IS JAPAN COOL?
Aug 21, 2013
Romi Mizukami, a fashion designer for popular Japanese clothing brand BEAMS, is without a doubt one of Japan’s biggest Hello Kitty fans, or rather “Kittylers.” Her home is a veritable shrine to the little kitty that could, with blacks, whites, and reds as far as the eye can see, and for the past few years she has slowly incorporated the uniquely kawaii Hello Kitty style into not just her design work but her very own wardrobe.
Come on in and meet the real-life Kitty-chan!
Human-cat relations have been strained recently following the Upper House election results in which Shinzo Abe and his LDP-Komeito coalition have gained greater power in the government.
The generally left-leaning cat community in Japan has reacted accordingly. There has been a marked decrease in cuteness across the country, and shouts of “kawaii!” have plummeted by 46.2 percent.
The cats have also released a statement anonymously onto the internet asking for an improvement in people’s petting techniques. If the proper effort is made by humans in Japan then they promise to lower the sanctions on adorability. We’d now like to translate and share that information with the world in case your nation succumbs to a similar fate.
Disconcerting news from the world of Japanese fashion: adherents to the cutesy subculture of Lolita fashion are organizing themselves into an official group. Their target: the whole world. Read More
- Master Blaster
Nov 4, 2012
Our correspondent Kuzo has been extra busy recently eating single noodle udon, disgusting ramen, and encountering thousands eerie of dolls. However, when he returned home, he was welcomed by a large envelope with the return address: Kawaii (Cute) Ward, Fukuoka.
Could it be? Earlier he had applied for special resident status of the Japanese administrative district of all that is cute. Now it looks like he has his answer.
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests1
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!4
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets5
- Father posts six-year-old daughter’s anime character drawings online, net users not convinced6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race8
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’9
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!9
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Father posts six-year-old daughter’s anime character drawings online, net users not convinced
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives
- Tohoku University evicts entire dormitory for rampant drinking, is a zany 80s comedy just waiting to happen
- Gigantic aquatic insect found in China has record-setting wingspan, possibly anal spray
- International survey finds that 90% are open to a romantic encounter with a Korean partner
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- Kids’ Hello Kitty Dictionary is surprisingly gritty
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex