They may look innocent, but hidden under all that fluff is a nefarious plan for bunny Internet domination. Cats have been at the top of the net kingdom for too long and bunnies sleeping with their paws in the air are just cute enough to overthrow them. Who will win? It may be too soon to tell, but no matter who comes out on top, the real winners are us netizens who get to reap all the benefits of an adorable rivalry.
It’s Monday again and you know what that means! Your Monday Kickstart video is here to get you going through another week.
This week’s video features a cat’s up-close encounter with a popular coin bank found at stores in Japan. Watch and prepare to say, “Awww.”
Kohei Matsuno is no ordinary barista. What started as his way of sprucing up an ordinary cup of complimentary coffee for patrons at his part-time job has blossomed into a form of creative expression that has people around the world smiling. Known as “Mattsun” by his Internet followers, Mr. Matsuno brings life and whimsy to an otherwise ordinary cup of joe. Come with us now for a sneak peek at the work that goes into some of Japan’s most beautiful latte art.
From Kraso, online Japanese retailer of quirky home goods, comes the Fluffy Big Bread Cushion Party collection that promises to “wrap you up in a dreamy state of mind.” The collection consists of four different styles of overstuffed furniture food that you can cuddle up with. Because sometimes you just don’t want to deal with the world. And sometimes, the best way to do that is to turn into a delicious baked good.
Romi Mizukami, a fashion designer for popular Japanese clothing brand BEAMS, is without a doubt one of Japan’s biggest Hello Kitty fans, or rather “Kittylers.” Her home is a veritable shrine to the little kitty that could, with blacks, whites, and reds as far as the eye can see, and for the past few years she has slowly incorporated the uniquely kawaii Hello Kitty style into not just her design work but her very own wardrobe.
Come on in and meet the real-life Kitty-chan!
Human-cat relations have been strained recently following the Upper House election results in which Shinzo Abe and his LDP-Komeito coalition have gained greater power in the government.
The generally left-leaning cat community in Japan has reacted accordingly. There has been a marked decrease in cuteness across the country, and shouts of “kawaii!” have plummeted by 46.2 percent.
The cats have also released a statement anonymously onto the internet asking for an improvement in people’s petting techniques. If the proper effort is made by humans in Japan then they promise to lower the sanctions on adorability. We’d now like to translate and share that information with the world in case your nation succumbs to a similar fate.
Disconcerting news from the world of Japanese fashion: adherents to the cutesy subculture of Lolita fashion are organizing themselves into an official group. Their target: the whole world. Read More
Our correspondent Kuzo has been extra busy recently eating single noodle udon, disgusting ramen, and encountering thousands eerie of dolls. However, when he returned home, he was welcomed by a large envelope with the return address: Kawaii (Cute) Ward, Fukuoka.
Could it be? Earlier he had applied for special resident status of the Japanese administrative district of all that is cute. Now it looks like he has his answer.
- An Illustrated Guide to the Implications of not Washing Your Hands After Using the Restroom1
- Japanese Guys Take Notes! 10 Things Foreign Guys Do That Makes Japanese Girls Fall Head Over Heels2
- The Top 25 Things In Japan Most Likely To Blow Foreigner’s Minds3
- Men’s butts are shaped like green peppers, according to this butt illustration guide4
- Hey guys, unlucky with women? There’s always Latvia!5
- “Damn it human, help me!” One cat’s epic battle with an empty plastic bag6
- Flash mob performing Totoro theme song will melt your heart, make you want to join in7
- 46 Things That Surprise Foreigners in Japan8
- 11 tips to spot (or imitate) a member of Japan’s Self-Defense Forces9
- Your Favorite Nintendo Games As You’ve Never Seen Them Before, As Traditional Japanese Prints10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- An Illustrated Guide to the Implications of not Washing Your Hands After Using the Restroom3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato5
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour6
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts7
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car8
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected9
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】2
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs3
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!4
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】5
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China6
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】10
- “Damn it human, help me!” One cat’s epic battle with an empty plastic bag
- Flash mob performing Totoro theme song will melt your heart, make you want to join in
- 46 Things That Surprise Foreigners in Japan
- 11 tips to spot (or imitate) a member of Japan’s Self-Defense Forces
- Your Favorite Nintendo Games As You’ve Never Seen Them Before, As Traditional Japanese Prints
- Cross-dressing man in women-only train car causes controversy in Japan
- 【Thursday Throwback】Free Admission: 12 of Tokyo’s Best Kept Secrets
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】
- Survey shows Japanese workers least likely to take vacation time, most likely to hate their job
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right
- Vocaloid’s fandom evolves beyond the music and becomes the face of young Japanese otaku
- Who is David Ury? And who the heck is Ken Tanaka? – An interview with the “twin brothers”
- Keep your tea warm with Thermos ala Japanese style!