From 1969 to 1997, the North Korean leadership purchased expensive full-page ad space in the most prominent western newspapers, Benjamin R. Young reports for NK News. The ads, which cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000, were placed in high-profile publications like The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Guardian.
Jun 7, 2014
Life inside a communist country with a controlling dictator for a leader is not only suffocating and dangerous; it’s also vastly different from life in developed countries elsewhere across the globe.
Joo Yang, who defected from North Korea in 2010, did an “Ask Me Anything” on Reddit Wednesday and explained what it was like to leave the oppressive country and experience life in the outside world.
North Korean defectors have to escape the country covertly. Some of them were basically brainwashed by propaganda growing up — one defector who spoke to UK newspaper The Independent said she was raised to believe that Kim Jong-il was a god who could read her mind.
Yang joined her family in South Korea in 2011. An NGO helped her travel through a “modern-day underground railroad” to escape North Korea.
Here are some of the observations she made about life in North Korea versus life on the outside:
Although there are many poor people in North Korea, very small number of people live so far from starvation there. Peculation of rescuesupplies by the army, as they say, happens so frequently. You would be amazed when you come to know what Kim Jong-il eats every day … and would be at a loss for words to see how the dictator lives in that poorest country.
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results2
- Japan’s 10 best ryokan inns and top 10 hotels, as chosen by foreign visitors3
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building now accepting applications to watch first sunrise of 20154
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts5
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?6
- Ouch! Ouch!! Ouch!!! Man in China hit by three cars while “crossing” the street7
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!8
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony9
- Taiwanese subway’s anime mascot wants you to mind your manners, watch out for the Hamburglar10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US8
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?
- Ouch! Ouch!! Ouch!!! Man in China hit by three cars while “crossing” the street
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony
- Taiwanese subway’s anime mascot wants you to mind your manners, watch out for the Hamburglar
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- “Let them eat furikake!” says Mayor Hashimoto as Osaka school lunch saga rumbles on
- This suave chap is apparently a girl! Don’t believe us? We don’t believe our eyes either【Photos】
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing
- Chinese sand artist tickles the heartstrings of manga fans with stunning sand manga drawings 【Videos】