Bombs, beauty, and, as this artwork would seem to suggest, other things beginning with the letter “B” are all part of the latest installment of the classic video game franchise.
Aug 18, 2016
Game’s first preview has fans scratching their heads and rolling their eyes as the innovative series seemingly resorts to a zombie apocalypse scenario.
The before-and-after photos of the room after a year of refinement show a gamer totally dedicated to his craft.
Jul 11, 2016
Boutique figure maker Gecco introduces an ultra-detailed statue of Venom Snake from Metal Gear Solid V that will lighten your wallet and make you weep tears of nerd joy.
Jun 2, 2016
Depending on how cynical a gamer you are, this is either the last thing you expected, or the first.
Metal Gear director’s first video will reveal his picks for the top 10 movies of 2015.
Anime News Network
Jan 8, 2016
Dec 16, 2015
He kept us waiting, but the internationally renowned video game director is finally ready to start work on his next project.
Dec 11, 2015
After 17 years of rigorous popping and music-ing, the franchise needed to make a change to keep from going stale. It’s just not the change that fans expected.
Anime News Network
Dec 4, 2015
Kojima also did not accept award at PlayStation Awards in Japan on Thursday.
Nov 20, 2015
Sniper Wolf figure hits the bullseye where a love of boobs, video games, and dogs overlap.
Nov 11, 2015
A collaboration between video game giant Konami and prostheses expert Sophie De Oliviera Barata aims to give an amputee gamer a new arm inspired by Metal Gear Solid.
It has been announced that Noriyoshi Ohrai—the Japanese illustrator best known for producing remarkable poster art for Metal Gear Solid as well as for films including the Godzilla series and Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back—passed away from pneumonia yesterday morning at the age of 79.
With a career spanning over half a century and an impressive portfolio of artworks for novels, games and well-known international movie releases, fans around the world are mourning the loss of a great talent and taking a look back at his extraordinary body of work.
Sep 9, 2015
The release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has been met with as much excitement and frenzy as you might expect from the latest instalment of a legendary video game franchise. But while most players are preoccupied with riding D. Horse around, frolicking in cardboard boxes and puzzling over the intricate story, it’s a certain voiceover that’s had us scratching our heads. Where on earth have we heard iDroid‘s soothing tones before? Oh, that’s right – on the Shinkansen!
Voice actor and vocalist Donna Burke is a veteran of the video game industry, lending her vocal cords to multiple games including MGSV and Silent Hill, and she ALSO provided the English-language spoken announcement that’s broadcast on the bullet train to help foreign visitors navigate their way around Japan!
With Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain now available, gamers are hunkering down to complete Hideo Kojima’s final Metal Gear outing, and the last couple of days have seen a flurry of uploads to YouTube and gaming sites from players wanting to show off their discoveries in the huge open world.
One such discovery has people lamenting the cancellation of Silent Hills, the horror game that was at one time to be Kojima’s next project, all over again. Despite Konami’s attempts to erase its existence by removing it from the Playstation Store, P.T., the playable teaser for the cancelled game, can’t be wiped from gamers’ minds that easily, and apparently not from the company’s latest hit, either.
Aug 6, 2015
From the consumer end, it’s easy to mistakenly assume that video game publishers’ only concerns are creating art and providing fun. The reality, though, is that like with any human endeavor, time and money are always limiting factors in game development, and while an abundance of one can sometimes help cover for a lack of the other, at the end of the day there are only so many resources to go around, and companies can’t greenlight every project pitched to them.
But that just makes it all the more heart-warming when a major publisher gives the go-ahead to a new installment of a fan-favorite. Remember how a few months ago Konami halted digital distribution of horror sensation P.T. and the associated Silent Hills, the daydream-come-to-life collaboration between game and film directors Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro? All water under the bridge, because there’s a brand new Silent Hill game coming in October, and it’ll cost less than a buck to play!
Konami is even being bold enough to take the franchise into an entirely new genre: pachinko.
By now, the video gaming community is all but painfully aware of the sudden divorce between game director Hideo Kojima and game developer Konami. Solid Snake himself has even tweeted the fact that studio Kojima Productions has been disbanded, the studio logo having been removed from advertisement posters for the upcoming title, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
When the mobile game Flappy Bird was taken off the market last year, sales of mobile phones with the game installed were quickly put on auction sites to the tune of US$300 to US$90,000. The sales on eBay technically violated the site’s Terms of Service, which required smartphones and tablets to be restored to their factory settings. Many were pulled by eBay before anyone was able to drop cash on the listings.
Apr 30, 2015
If you have even a passing interest in video games, then you’ll no doubt have heard that Silent Hills, the new, crazy-scary, Daryl-from-The Walking Dead-featuring reboot of long-running survival horror series Silent Hill, has been cancelled.
For many, Silent Hills represented the sole reason to own a PlayStation 4 as it bobs along in a sea of multi-platform titles and high-definition re-releases of last-gen games. But with the removal of its “playable teaser” from the PlayStation Store today, Silent Hills is gone – poof – into dust because director and industry veteran Hideo Kojima is to part ways with parent company Konami the moment he finishes work on his other big project, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
But what exactly is going on over at Konami? And why on earth would the company scrap a game that was already garnering so much praise and generating such excitement? Join us after the jump as we explore the myriad rumours and theories regarding Kojima and Konami’s messy breakup.
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 “shikata ga nai” (“it can’t be helped”) situations in Japan【Weird Top Five】1
- Watch the dying art of the punch perm, a quintessential Japanese hairstyle, in Mr. Sato’s new ‘do2
- Boys Love posing book shows how to draw intimate male couple scenes like a pro manga artist3
- Tiny house by Muji finally goes on sale in Japan4
- Cute cat culture goes too far with Japan’s freaky new kitty skin care masks5
- Cat helping his person play Animal Crossing BGM on the piano is super calming, too cute【Video】6
- Eva tie-wearing Japanese minister resigns after saying “it’s a good thing the tsunami hit Tohoku”7
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 most offensive Japanese swear words 【Weird Top Five】8
- What’s really for breakfast? 20 Japanese people give us a peek at their morning meal【Photos】9
- Ibaraki Prefecture promotes onsen hot springs with muscly man bathing in 4K【Videos】10
- Tiny house by Muji finally goes on sale in Japan1
- Man arrested for living above a public toilet in Oita for three years2
- Figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva skates to anime theme dressed as Sailor Moon3
- Ibaraki Prefecture promotes onsen hot springs with muscly man bathing in 4K【Videos】4
- Emperors, anime icons, and porn stars show up in six-nation survey of most famous Japanese people5
- New live-action Tokyo Ghoul trailer6
- Brooklyn Beckham orders candy from small artisan sweet company in Japan…with a twist7
- Keep cockroaches at bay with Japanese bug-hater’s clever, non-chemical idea8
- Japanese theme park now offering fake thugs you can “beat up” to impress your girlfriend【Video】9
- Sniff the pantyhose of your VR girlfriend at gaming event in Tokyo next month10
- Japanese boy band shakes up the music world as all nine members kiss each other in new video clip1
- Japanese cosplayer achieves amazing cyber legs look using wet stockings【Photos】2
- These photos from the ‘richest village in China’ will positively blow you away3
- Japanese anime artist transforms zodiac signs into lingerie, releases the collection in real life4
- Japanese company offers a “little sister rental” service, and our reporter just tried it out5
- Petition to boycott Netflix adaption of Death Note reaches Japan, netizens share reactions online6
- Japanese artist explains why some people have a good sense of direction and others don’t7
- We order a “Mystery Lucky Bag of Imperfect Goods” through Amazon, end up with a pile of crab8
- Amazing Pringles flavours exist in Japan9
- Japanese female pubic hair shaving guides help users shape hearts, triangles, and more10
- Japan’s new luxury overnight bus is the conveniently classy way to get from Tokyo to Osaka1
- Japanese boy band shakes up the music world as all nine members kiss each other in new video clip2
- Busty Japanese model Jun Amaki bounces onto the virgin-killing sweater bandwagon【Video, photos】3
- Spirited Away No Face piggy bank is the Studio Ghibli merchandise we all need to have right now4
- Kanagawa man’s body found one month after death in a six-ton pile of erotic magazines5
- Male teacher in China cosplays as female characters, gets discovered by his own student6
- Japanese company offers a “little sister rental” service, and our reporter just tried it out7
- Japanese cosplayer achieves amazing cyber legs look using wet stockings【Photos】8
- These photos from the ‘richest village in China’ will positively blow you away9
- Want to make sure your Eevee evolves into Umbreon or Espeon in the Pokémon GO update? Here’s how10
- Cat helping his person play Animal Crossing BGM on the piano is super calming, too cute【Video】
- Eva tie-wearing Japanese minister resigns after saying “it’s a good thing the tsunami hit Tohoku”
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 most offensive Japanese swear words 【Weird Top Five】
- What’s really for breakfast? 20 Japanese people give us a peek at their morning meal【Photos】
- Ibaraki Prefecture promotes onsen hot springs with muscly man bathing in 4K【Videos】
- You probably shouldn’t look at this optical illusion, it could have long-term effects
- Figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva skates to anime theme dressed as Sailor Moon
- Awesome “Zelda: Breath of the NES” fangame remakes Breath of the Wild NES-style【Video】
- Why do Japanese people wear surgical masks? It’s not always for health reasons
- Free onsen! Kyushu resort shipping hot spring water to homes across Japan in thank-you program
- Emperors, anime icons, and porn stars show up in six-nation survey of most famous Japanese people