Baskin Robbins Japan is known for their quirky ice cream creations centered around major foreign holidays, and this year they’ve rolled out a half dozen smiley face frozen treats for Christmas. Featuring familiar characters and adorable animals, these special sundaes in festive cups will get anyone into the holiday spirit. Let’s take a closer look at this cute Christmas lineup:
Ice cream is one of those foods that is so delicious, people tend to eat it year round regardless of the plunging temperatures around them. So for the past 15 years, Häagen-Dazs has been releasing special fall/winter flavors in Japan, such as the extremely popular rum raisin. But this year, the beloved ice cream maker has an azuki bean-flavored variety coming out in early October, and Japanese netizens are already clearing out space in their freezer to stock up.
Feb 19, 2014
Never shy of releasing a special edition product or two, Japan’s Konami Corporation has announced a limited “Fox Edition” Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes-themed PlayStation 4 console just for Japanese gamers ahead of the game’s release on March 20.
We’re sure the console will appeal to some people’s tastes and fans will no doubt want to add it to their collection of MGS merch, but quite honestly we’re not entirely bowled over by the design Konami went with.
Although pandas originally come from Japan’s neighbors to the east, the country has welcomed the cuddly creatures with open arms, putting them on anything from clothing to cars. But we’re most impressed by the panda’s ability to assimilate into Japanese food, taking over our meals and turning them into an adorable experience. Let’s take a look at 15 delicious pandas from Japan.
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Japan recently announced the release of two shiny new limited colors for the 3DS LL (XL in the West) – “Orange x Black” and “Turquoise x Black“, set to hit stores in Japan on 28 November.
On top of that, a special tie-up edition with The Legend of Zelda is also in the works, to be launched on 26 December.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 21, 2013
These adorable tail motif Pokemon goods are on sale now and are only available at the seven official Pokemon Centers in Japan.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Nov 22, 2012
Even more popular than Minesweeper, Solitaire was a favorite of office workers everywhere. A free game that came bundled in old Microsoft computers, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who has never played Solitaire.exe.
Now you don’t even have to have a clunky old computer to play pixelated palm tree and sandy beach motif solitaire, you just have to pick up a deck of these cards.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Oct 27, 2012
Back in September, Nintendo released a limited edition Pikachu 3DS XL that was only available in Japan. The rest of the world was left staring longingly at the pictures of lucky residents of Japan lining up for four hours to purchase the adorable 3DS.
This week, Nintendo announced a new limited edition Charizard 3DS XL. Unfortunately, just like the limited edition Pikachu 3DS XL, the Charizard version can only be purchased in one of Japan’s seven Pokemon Center retail stores.
However, this time, even those who live in Japan will have a hard time getting their hands on this ultra-exclusive limited-edition 3DS XL because it will only be available to the winners of a lottery drawing.
Sep 27, 2012
It’s not unusual for fans and enthusiasts, regardless of the object of their love and devotion, to lavish a significant amount of their income on merchandise and branded goods. To a fan, an item is often worth much more than the asking price, and, rather than think about how much something costs, they simply focus on how they can obtain it.
Few people lining up on day one to buy an artist’s newest album, or the latest iPhone or games console, are ever heard to remark “gosh this is awfully expensive; I hope it’s worth it!” They just want to get their hands on the thing and make it theirs.
But know this, boys and girls: there’s a limit. Read More
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so1
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping2
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date3
- Over half of Japanese adults do this in the shower – How about you?4
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos5
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos6
- Japan is doing what people do best with fallen leaves: playing with them【Photos】7
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile8
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick9
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world5
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick6
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence7
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?8
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan9
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos
- Japan is doing what people do best with fallen leaves: playing with them【Photos】
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US
- Rare ghost-white tuna caught off Bali — we go to see it on display in Shibuya!
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours
- Bonsai treehouses look like something out of Howl’s Moving Castle 【Photos】
- Women at World Wushu Championships attack each other at the speed of light
- Finally! Attack on Titan director says TV anime’s second season will start production in 2016
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- Japan’s prince of tennis gets his own Prince of Tennis manga portrait
- This man’s first hand-drawn maze took seven years to complete, now he’s working on a second one