Baskin Robbins Japan is known for their quirky ice cream creations centered around major foreign holidays, and this year they’ve rolled out a half dozen smiley face frozen treats for Christmas. Featuring familiar characters and adorable animals, these special sundaes in festive cups will get anyone into the holiday spirit. Let’s take a closer look at this cute Christmas lineup:
Ice cream is one of those foods that is so delicious, people tend to eat it year round regardless of the plunging temperatures around them. So for the past 15 years, Häagen-Dazs has been releasing special fall/winter flavors in Japan, such as the extremely popular rum raisin. But this year, the beloved ice cream maker has an azuki bean-flavored variety coming out in early October, and Japanese netizens are already clearing out space in their freezer to stock up.
Feb 19, 2014
Never shy of releasing a special edition product or two, Japan’s Konami Corporation has announced a limited “Fox Edition” Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes-themed PlayStation 4 console just for Japanese gamers ahead of the game’s release on March 20.
We’re sure the console will appeal to some people’s tastes and fans will no doubt want to add it to their collection of MGS merch, but quite honestly we’re not entirely bowled over by the design Konami went with.
Although pandas originally come from Japan’s neighbors to the east, the country has welcomed the cuddly creatures with open arms, putting them on anything from clothing to cars. But we’re most impressed by the panda’s ability to assimilate into Japanese food, taking over our meals and turning them into an adorable experience. Let’s take a look at 15 delicious pandas from Japan.
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Japan recently announced the release of two shiny new limited colors for the 3DS LL (XL in the West) – “Orange x Black” and “Turquoise x Black“, set to hit stores in Japan on 28 November.
On top of that, a special tie-up edition with The Legend of Zelda is also in the works, to be launched on 26 December.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 21, 2013
These adorable tail motif Pokemon goods are on sale now and are only available at the seven official Pokemon Centers in Japan.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Nov 22, 2012
Even more popular than Minesweeper, Solitaire was a favorite of office workers everywhere. A free game that came bundled in old Microsoft computers, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who has never played Solitaire.exe.
Now you don’t even have to have a clunky old computer to play pixelated palm tree and sandy beach motif solitaire, you just have to pick up a deck of these cards.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Oct 27, 2012
Back in September, Nintendo released a limited edition Pikachu 3DS XL that was only available in Japan. The rest of the world was left staring longingly at the pictures of lucky residents of Japan lining up for four hours to purchase the adorable 3DS.
This week, Nintendo announced a new limited edition Charizard 3DS XL. Unfortunately, just like the limited edition Pikachu 3DS XL, the Charizard version can only be purchased in one of Japan’s seven Pokemon Center retail stores.
However, this time, even those who live in Japan will have a hard time getting their hands on this ultra-exclusive limited-edition 3DS XL because it will only be available to the winners of a lottery drawing.
Sep 27, 2012
It’s not unusual for fans and enthusiasts, regardless of the object of their love and devotion, to lavish a significant amount of their income on merchandise and branded goods. To a fan, an item is often worth much more than the asking price, and, rather than think about how much something costs, they simply focus on how they can obtain it.
Few people lining up on day one to buy an artist’s newest album, or the latest iPhone or games console, are ever heard to remark “gosh this is awfully expensive; I hope it’s worth it!” They just want to get their hands on the thing and make it theirs.
But know this, boys and girls: there’s a limit. Read More
- 4 Things women are banned from doing in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】1
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning2
- We love Daiso, but sometimes the weird products just amuse us3
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu4
- No girlfriend at Christmas? Why not date your female self?5
- Truck driver hailed as “hero” for cutting off car on wet highway6
- Vocaloid takes over teen karaoke scene, more than half of 2014’s top 20 songs synthetic7
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account8
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker9
- Former kimono painter turned ukiyo-e artist dazzles with exquisite modern-day paintings10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu2
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood3
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women4
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20155
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】6
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG7
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】8
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website9
- Evacuation orders issued as town in northern Japan is flooded by rising tidewaters10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Truck driver hailed as “hero” for cutting off car on wet highway
- Vocaloid takes over teen karaoke scene, more than half of 2014’s top 20 songs synthetic
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Former kimono painter turned ukiyo-e artist dazzles with exquisite modern-day paintings
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan
- Toilet slides and turd hats: welcome to Tokyo’s crappiest exhibition
- Big Hero 6 ads in Japan leave out the action, moviegoers surprised to find awesome robot flick
- Taiwanese sky can’t decide, splits itself in half
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Why making kids cry on camera never gets old
- Japan’s premier beatboxer sets YouTube ablaze, annoys fans with lack of beatboxing