Bento is a big deal in Japan and competitive mothers are always trying to out-do each other, striving to create the cutest lunchbox. Lucky for them, Japanese companies have come up with a plethora of tools to add smiley faces, shapes, or words of encouragement to any food. Let’s take a look at just a few of the many items you can buy to spruce up your bento!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 22, 2013
According to a 2012 survey of 2,000 Shinsei Bank employees, the average worker now spends 510 yen (US $5.79) on lunch every day. That’s down from 710 yen (US $8.06) in 2001 and 600 yen (US $6.81) in 2007. That’s a 30% decrease in twelve years.
Nikkan Spa, a popular magazine in Japan, conducted its own survey and found an even bleaker outcome. In a survey of 100 salarymen (office workers) and public servants in their 30s and 40s, a surprising 64 percent of workers admitted that they spend 500 yen (US $5.67) or less on lunch. An even more astonishing 24 percent of workers get by on just 250 yen (US $2.84) a day.
A measly 250 yen (US $2.84) won’t even buy a beef bowl at Sukiya, famed to be the cheapest lunch around. If these salarymen can’t even afford the cheapest meals available for purchase, what exactly are they eating? Let’s take a peek inside the slimmed-down lunchboxes of Japan’s typical worker.
You could be fooled into thinking that this is some enormous new add-on for the current Playstation 3 console, but what you’re actually looking at here is a multi-layered wooden bentō lunchbox sculpted and assembled by a master craftsman for Sony Japan.
Presented to staff at Square Enix and Konami in celebration of 25 years of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear games, these stunning lunchboxes are designed to look identical to Sony’s home console, featuring everything from the ridged top to the tiny silver Playstation logo on the front, all the while leaving plenty of room inside for a delicious lunch.
These things are so beautiful that it almost makes us want to trade in our plastic Playstation 3 for a wooden one…
Dec 19, 2012
“Hideo-kun! What do you want in your lunchbox for school tomorrow? Ham and cheese? Peanut butter and jelly? Or how about Solid Snaaaaaaaake!”
The image you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is genuine, 100% completely edible food. We’ve seen colourful character bentō lunchboxes before, but this is something else.
As part of its 25 years of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy celebrations, Japanese game developer Konami has had a set of truly amazing lunchboxes made for a photo event. Featuring characters from both of the long-running series, the lunchboxes are so detailed that they almost look like waxworks. No matter how many times we look at these things, we can’t quite get over the fact that it’s actually food.
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer1
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters2
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours3
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world4
- Stand back, kids! 64-year-old enka singer Aki Yashiro completely nails cover of Evangelion theme5
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute6
- Japanese netizens show love for “English Toast” which is neither English nor Toast7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection9
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make2
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art3
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less4
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues5
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world6
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’7
- The familiar looks of “once-in-four-thousand-year” Chinese idol have Japanese netizens talking8
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence9
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute
- Japanese netizens show love for “English Toast” which is neither English nor Toast
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile
- Check out these amazing Ghibli-inspired tattoos
- Japan serves up yet another weird pizza, this time topped with cookie-filled chocolate bars!
- A vision of the future? We can’t take our eyes off Shimizu Corporation’s “Ocean Spiral” design
- How long does Kagoshima need to convince us to visit? With this video, just two minutes
- Japanese baseball fans disappointed by filthy conditions visiting Major Leaguers left dugout in
- 【TBT】Chocolate-covered squid, corn Kit Kat, and other anomalies of the Japanese snack food scene
- Green tea ramen? Of course we had to give it a try!【Taste Test】
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex