The Ginza area of Tokyo is by far the ritziest of all of Japan’s districts. With stores such as Chanel, Cartier and Bulgari (not to mention an extremely overpriced bar staffed by former and current porn stars), you’re going to have to have a lot of yen in your pockets if you want to do more than window shop and people watch. Yes, there are exceptions and cheap eats to be found nestled amongst the luxury items, but overall, Ginza is dominated by fancy things. Just look at the elevators…
- Philip Kendall
Mar 26, 2014
Recent studies have warned that, for all their convenience and the social interaction they allow, our mobile devices and anywhere, any time wireless internet access could potentially be hazardous to our health. But what if you just can’t bear to power down your iPhone, tablet, laptop or games console?
If you’re in need of a getaway, and want to assure yourself that the negative effects of your array of gadgetry will be entirely offset by your relaxing surroundings, there’s probably no better place than this luxurious beach villa on the Thai island resort of Ko Samui, which is fitted with pretty much every modern convenience from iPad-controlled shutters to remote-operated pool thermostats and top-of-the-range cooking equipment – available to rent for a cool US$650 a night.
Join us after the break for a photo tour.
- Cara Clegg
Mar 8, 2014
The Japanese paper company Daishowa First has announced their newest high-quality product: a tissue box containing soft and luxurious tissues of 12 different hues. The product is named ‘Juunihitoe‘, a traditional Japanese word that refers to a twelve-layered ceremonial kimono worn by a court lady. It’s a fittingly regal name for something that will probably only be bought by A-list celebs with too much money on their hands. We don’t all have 100 dollars to drop on our snot-catchers, do we?!
Special camping plans let girls in Japan rough it by day, enjoy champagne and butler service at night
- Casey Baseel
Sep 24, 2013
With so many people in Japan living in cramped urban population centers, it’s understandable that a large number of them want to head somewhere more rural if they’ve got a few days to get out of town.
On the other hand, Japan’s traditionally high standards regarding hospitality mean that often travelers want to be pampered while away from home. Add in the fact that it’s much more common for a group of Japanese women to travel together than a group of men, and you’ve got the makings of a new cottage industry of luxurious accommodations for female campers.
- Philip Kendall
Jul 31, 2013
With seemingly endless stories appearing online about shoddy electronics, blood-red rivers and food products that could put their consumer six feet under, China gets a bad rap sometimes. True, this writer may well have wandered into some of the most poorly kept public restrooms that he has ever seen during a brief stay in the country a few years ago, but there is also plenty of luxury to be enjoyed in China.
Even with my six-figure salary, though, I have a feeling I’d be politely turned away should I even come within 50 feet of the swanky restrooms in this particular Chinese department store.
Starting from spring 2016, Japan Rail (JR) East will unveil a luxury sleeper train, hoping to provide passengers with “a fine-quality experience to enjoy Japan.”
The train had better be pretty luxurious, though, if it’s going to cost over US$2,000 for a mere two nights…
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 14, 2013
Ever wanted to see the inside of a luxury aircraft, but don’t have the dough to make your dream a reality? One of our normally frugal writers decided to splurge and take a business class flight on an Emirates Airbus A380. Surprised by the wide array of perks the flight offered, she documented the best parts of the trip. Take a look at her photographs of the surprising amenities, like an inflight bar lounge and shower, which make this plane seem more like a hotel. It’s not quite the same as boarding the plane yourself, but unlike the flight, reading this article won’t cost you a penny and you’re free to move about the cabin at any time.
Suntory Liquors Limited is now selling the ultimate luxury drink – a million yen($12,195) bottle of whiskey. How can a bottle of whiskey cost a million yen? Well, in this case you put 35-year old Hibiki whiskey in a porcelain bottle crafted by a national living treasure and you get a million dollar drink. Read More
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- Get the most out of your visit to Japan with these tourist-only deals 【Ninja Life Skills】3
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】4
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool5
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today6
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar7
- Our reporter goes looking for fans at Comic-Con…in his Sailor Venus cosplay outfit8
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?9
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!10
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex6
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar
- Our reporter goes looking for fans at Comic-Con…in his Sailor Venus cosplay outfit
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Gintama’s protagonist as envisioned by fujoshi: blushing, bare-chested, and super voluptuous!
- Japanese netizens lament over the long, but sad life of sea urchins
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants
- We apply to appear in new Yakuza game, still waiting to hear back from Sega