Cats have been trying to shove themselves into boxes two sizes too small even before YouTube and filming your pet’s every waking moment became a thing. Maru, Japan’s most popular and arguably cutest cat, has made a name for himself by adopting the “If it fits, I sits” philosophy. His latest video, titled “-Plastic box and Maru.-” offers us a clear view of exactly how this sleepy Scottish Fold crams himself into the tiniest of spaces.
Okay, confession time. I am a little bit—sigh, A LOT—obsessed with internet cats. From Lil Bub to Little P and with a lot of Princess Monster Truck in between, I follow them all. But perhaps the cutest and most consistently entertaining is chubby, lazy Maru, who happens to live in Japan with his owner known by YouTube handle mugumogu.
Maru is so famous he has his own book and has appeared in both print and TV ads for major brands like Uniqlo. Mostly he likes hanging out at home trying to fit into various boxes, but if the latest video is any indication, he may have a new hobby: pushing a pushcart around the house.
Aug 11, 2014
Still not getting into the swing of things this Monday? What better way to start your Monday than with another adorable video, this time featuring Maru being…well, Maru!
Look out below! Maru and Hana‘s owner just uploaded yet another adorable kitty video to make the internet go “awww!” This time, the furry duo is seen from below thanks to a clever camera angle and a glass top table. Watch as the two feline friends eat kitty treats, have a mini brawl, and lick their paws like there’s no tomorrow.
Remember Maru, the adorable Shiba dog who’s been stealing hearts all over Japan with his million-dollar smile? Well, his popularity is well and alive, and the canine celebrity will be coming out with his very own photo book in mid-June! And to commemorate the launch of his book, an on-line photo contest is currently on way, but it’s no ordinary photo contest — it involves photos of … lovely bottoms! Not to worry, though, they’re not naughty photos by any means. The contest is actually of photos of cute animal backsides, or “puri-ketsu“, as they’re affectionately called in Japanese, and it seems the adorable “bum” pictures are pouring in. Yes, it’s the official puri-ketsu championships, and here’s a look at just some of the fun and delightful photos!
Apr 8, 2014
We all know Maru. We love him, watch his videos on YouTube and then wonder how we can make our own animals as amazing as he is. This time around, Maru and his companion Hana find themselves with a new box. The newest challenger is long and rectangular with a perfect circle cut out of one end. What will happen next?!?!?! Drum roll please!!!!
Oct 18, 2013
You might be thinking we’ve been posting an awful lot of articles about cats recently, from stories about cat islands to black-cat cafés, and even one about wearable cats, but here’s one more to end the week with, because they told us to publish it and we’re too scared to disobey.
It would seem that Maru, possibly the most famous cat on YouTube right now, not only has a new friend to play with, but he’s found a novel use for his fluffy tail…
At last! The weekend is here and it is time to get wild! How wild, you ask, bottles of alcohol at the ready. How about…cats in boxes wild! That’s pretty crazy, right?
Yes? Glad you agree! Click below for the best pictures of cats in boxes the Japanese Internet has to offer.
Maru, the world’s most loved cat, just turned six! In celebration of his birthday, Maru’s owner made a video compilation of his antics during 2012. The video already has over one million views in three days.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Apr 7, 2013
Meet Maru, an adorable five-year-old Shiba Inu from Japan. This little guy isn’t any old dog; he’s the most popular dog in the world. Don’t believe us? Just check out his Instagram account and the 1,800 photos with about 400 comments… each. Most human beings don’t even get that much attention on the Internet. It’s hard to say why Maru is so popular, but the following photo gallery might give you a good idea.
Japanese Internet celebrity Maru has been on the scene for a few years now, shooting to stardom when his owner, YouTube user Mugumogu, uploaded a series of videos of the cat launching himself into boxes and paper bags seemingly far too small to accommodate him. These days, he’s taking life a little easier, but I think we could all learn a thing or two from Maru: the undisputed king of sunshine naps.
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Japan’s 10 best ryokan inns and top 10 hotels, as chosen by foreign visitors2
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?3
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours4
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs5
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony6
- Turn desk time into battle time with this gloriously unnecessary replica Mega Man helmet!7
- Taiwanese subway’s anime mascot wants you to mind your manners, watch out for the Hamburglar8
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts9
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US8
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony
- Turn desk time into battle time with this gloriously unnecessary replica Mega Man helmet!
- Taiwanese subway’s anime mascot wants you to mind your manners, watch out for the Hamburglar
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building now accepting applications to watch first sunrise of 2015
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding