Cats have been trying to shove themselves into boxes two sizes too small even before YouTube and filming your pet’s every waking moment became a thing. Maru, Japan’s most popular and arguably cutest cat, has made a name for himself by adopting the “If it fits, I sits” philosophy. His latest video, titled “-Plastic box and Maru.-” offers us a clear view of exactly how this sleepy Scottish Fold crams himself into the tiniest of spaces.
Okay, confession time. I am a little bit—sigh, A LOT—obsessed with internet cats. From Lil Bub to Little P and with a lot of Princess Monster Truck in between, I follow them all. But perhaps the cutest and most consistently entertaining is chubby, lazy Maru, who happens to live in Japan with his owner known by YouTube handle mugumogu.
Maru is so famous he has his own book and has appeared in both print and TV ads for major brands like Uniqlo. Mostly he likes hanging out at home trying to fit into various boxes, but if the latest video is any indication, he may have a new hobby: pushing a pushcart around the house.
Aug 11, 2014
Still not getting into the swing of things this Monday? What better way to start your Monday than with another adorable video, this time featuring Maru being…well, Maru!
Look out below! Maru and Hana‘s owner just uploaded yet another adorable kitty video to make the internet go “awww!” This time, the furry duo is seen from below thanks to a clever camera angle and a glass top table. Watch as the two feline friends eat kitty treats, have a mini brawl, and lick their paws like there’s no tomorrow.
Remember Maru, the adorable Shiba dog who’s been stealing hearts all over Japan with his million-dollar smile? Well, his popularity is well and alive, and the canine celebrity will be coming out with his very own photo book in mid-June! And to commemorate the launch of his book, an on-line photo contest is currently on way, but it’s no ordinary photo contest — it involves photos of … lovely bottoms! Not to worry, though, they’re not naughty photos by any means. The contest is actually of photos of cute animal backsides, or “puri-ketsu“, as they’re affectionately called in Japanese, and it seems the adorable “bum” pictures are pouring in. Yes, it’s the official puri-ketsu championships, and here’s a look at just some of the fun and delightful photos!
Apr 8, 2014
We all know Maru. We love him, watch his videos on YouTube and then wonder how we can make our own animals as amazing as he is. This time around, Maru and his companion Hana find themselves with a new box. The newest challenger is long and rectangular with a perfect circle cut out of one end. What will happen next?!?!?! Drum roll please!!!!
Oct 18, 2013
You might be thinking we’ve been posting an awful lot of articles about cats recently, from stories about cat islands to black-cat cafés, and even one about wearable cats, but here’s one more to end the week with, because they told us to publish it and we’re too scared to disobey.
It would seem that Maru, possibly the most famous cat on YouTube right now, not only has a new friend to play with, but he’s found a novel use for his fluffy tail…
At last! The weekend is here and it is time to get wild! How wild, you ask, bottles of alcohol at the ready. How about…cats in boxes wild! That’s pretty crazy, right?
Yes? Glad you agree! Click below for the best pictures of cats in boxes the Japanese Internet has to offer.
Maru, the world’s most loved cat, just turned six! In celebration of his birthday, Maru’s owner made a video compilation of his antics during 2012. The video already has over one million views in three days.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Apr 7, 2013
Meet Maru, an adorable five-year-old Shiba Inu from Japan. This little guy isn’t any old dog; he’s the most popular dog in the world. Don’t believe us? Just check out his Instagram account and the 1,800 photos with about 400 comments… each. Most human beings don’t even get that much attention on the Internet. It’s hard to say why Maru is so popular, but the following photo gallery might give you a good idea.
Japanese Internet celebrity Maru has been on the scene for a few years now, shooting to stardom when his owner, YouTube user Mugumogu, uploaded a series of videos of the cat launching himself into boxes and paper bags seemingly far too small to accommodate him. These days, he’s taking life a little easier, but I think we could all learn a thing or two from Maru: the undisputed king of sunshine naps.
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return1
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan2
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka3
- The weirder the better? These Japanese zakka are hot sellers in Korea4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute6
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters7
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer8
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious9
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute9
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google
- Tokyo train delayed due to the strangest of reasons
- Want to make music, but can’t play an instrument? Casio app turns your hums into full tracks!
- New Lotte chewing gum promotion features cool guys to suit every taste
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t
- Endangered critters in China get health check, diagnosed with acute cuteness 【Photos】
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage
- Beautiful faces and floors – Five great ways to reuse the water from rinsing rice
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence