In a strange story out of Hyogo Prefecture, a man has been arrested for squirting an unwanted, creamy white liquid onto an unsuspecting high school girl. And while the substance in question isn’t as disgusting as it could have been, it’s still pretty gross.
Mayonnaise is a highly debated condiment. There are those who praise it as a creamy, delicious gift to sandwiches while others curse its very existence. Even though the following job requires you to eat mayonnaise, mayo haters may still want to apply. Currently a topic of discussion on Japanese textboard, 2channel, the job in questions is simple: just eat mayonnaise and get paid 150,000 yen (US$1,540)!
You, Me, And a Tanuki is a weekly featured blog run by Michelle, a Californian who is currently one of only two foreigners living in Chibu, a tiny fishing village on one of the Oki islands in Japan. Check back every Saturday for a new post or read more on her website here!
If you are a mayonnaise hater, stay out of Japan. You wouldn’t think it, but the good ole American companion to Wonder Bread is a staple of down home Japanese cooking. From potato salad to lotus root smothered in mayonnaise, at least in Chibu, you can’t sit down to a meal without some mayonnaise-based dish on the table. Aside from being a main dressing for side dishes, mayonnaise is squeezed atop traditional Japanese dishes such as okonomiyaki (Japanese “pizza”), takoyaki (fried balls of dough with squid in the middle), yakisoba (a noodle dish), and many kinds of katsu (fried meat).
On August 24, Sapporo (Hokkaido prefecture) police arrested 32-year-old care worker Takeshi Furusawa on suspicion of 12 accounts of assault with tasty condiments.
Jul 30, 2012
Some talented baristas are able to draw beautiful patterns or designs on the surface of a latte. This “latte art” isn’t easy to pull off, but the extra artistic effort is sure to captivate customers and keep them coming back for more.
That doesn’t just apply to cafés, either: in Osaka, there is an okonomiyaki shop where the chef enchants locals and tourists alike with stunning displays of mayonnaise art.
If you’re unfamiliar with okonomiyaki, you need to stop reading this article, head to your nearest Japanese restaurant and introduce yourself because you have been missing out. Often referred to as a “Japanese pancake” or “Japanese pizza,” okonomiyaki is of conglomeration of veggies, meat and whatever else you want grilled in batter and topped with, among other things, sweet okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise.
Osaka in particular is proud of its style of okonomiyaki and this particular restaurant, “Okaru”, is said to hold a favorable reputation with the locals. If Osakans approve than you know it must good—and you get a bit of entertainment to boot!
So just how skilled is this condiment technician? We visited Okaru to find out!
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life2
- Tear-jerker: Brain tumor patient’s “final wish” is to find her husband a new girlfriend3
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan4
- REVIEW: Sony’s new tablet is thinner and lighter than the iPad Air, and Android fans will love it5
- Tokyo custom hamburger steak restaurant is all about choices, and all of them are delicious6
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together7
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit8
- Classic Japanese painting “Picture Scroll of a Fart Battle” is exactly what it sounds like9
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place10
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly1
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection2
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it3
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated4
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong5
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends6
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act7
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love8
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend9
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos2
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork3
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for4
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly5
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour6
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea9
- Take your love of touching imitation breasts out on the go with Puni Puni Case For iPhone10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea4
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- Tokyo custom hamburger steak restaurant is all about choices, and all of them are delicious
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit
- Classic Japanese painting “Picture Scroll of a Fart Battle” is exactly what it sounds like
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place
- With the stuffed characters of the Moomin Café, you’ll never dine alone!
- Enjoy the ambiance of Okinawa’s aptly named Cave Cafe (plus “chest hair of the ancients”!)
- Japanese pig farmer shows the world how pigs should be treated
- Two months is a lifetime: Cancer-stricken 22-year-old gets married in the hospital
- The Five Japanese Streets That People of Japan Most Want to Visit
- Those freaky Hello Kitty contact lenses are back, and this time she brought friends!
- Kim Jong-un’s haircut takes over the world
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea