The pursuit of beauty and the relentless quest to look younger is nothing new and has probably been around since the first human looked into a pool of water and realized that the disfigured beastly thing staring back was themselves. A couple of hundred thousand years and many medical technology breakthroughs later, we are spending massive amounts of money, time and pain on that quest to look younger and more beautiful. And last week a Japanese cosmetic company made an announcement that seemed to suggest they found the fountain of youth when they took 30 years off a 67-year-old man’s skin using a breakthrough technology.
Scott R Dixon
Dec 23, 2013
If you have been paying attention to South Korean pop culture, then you are probably already aware of the huge popularity of plastic surgery as evident by some startling before-and-after images. Plastic surgery is fast becoming as Korean as kimchi, soju or Samsung as one in five women there admit to going under the knife in the name of beauty.
But while seeing before-and-after images demonstrate a surgeon’s skill, you may not be seeing the long and probably very painful process that goes on in between the two pictures. A Korean woman recently posted the many stages of her recovery after plastic surgery, which provides a much-needed context about the lengths people go for the sake of beauty. Click below to see how she looked while her body healed from the procedure!
Jul 26, 2013
A 50-year-old man who refused medical treatment after being knocked down by a car in the town of Tosu, Saga prefecture, was found dead in his apartment a month after the accident occurred, a local newspaper reports.
Why the man refused treatment is unclear, but after a routine postmortem investigation both town and prefectural police came to the conclusion that the man’s death was brought about by injuries received at the time of the road accident a month previous. Despite having immediately called for the medical assistance that the victim flat-out refused, the driver has been reportedly been charged with involuntary manslaughter.
May 23, 2013
In Japan, countless numbers of bicycles are abandoned outside stations and on roadsides each year. While many will be turned into scrap metal and recycled, a percentage that are still deemed functional after a few repairs are being put to effective use as a mode of transport for nurses and midwives in developing countries like Ghana.
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- 【TBT】The top 9 anime situations that seem likely to happen, but never do2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!4
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide5
- Auction for “the present I was going to surprise my girlfriend with” closes with a happy ending6
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional7
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers8
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children9
- New first-class bus seats have built-in massage functions, internet access and… dictionary10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid8
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Auction for “the present I was going to surprise my girlfriend with” closes with a happy ending
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children
- New first-class bus seats have built-in massage functions, internet access and… dictionary
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map
- Mount Ontake: some hikers “died taking photos of the erupting volcano”, pathologist says
- She just popped up from your toilet paper to say hello!
- Massive 5-CD Final Fight soundtrack set lets you hear the game’s music without the punching
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- Are virtual reality schools the future of education in Japan?
- Bus driver in China makes pit stop to buy fish for supper, passengers perplexed