They may be too young to be thinking about dating, but it seems that elementary school girls can still tell you exactly what they DON’T want to see in a guy!
men and women.
May 2, 2014
Rakuten Research has released the results of an online poll about the kinds of men women in Japan do not want to marry, and as a result the heads of lonely trolls are exploding all over Japan.
Collating results from 100 female secretaries between the ages of 30 and 49, the survey had three possible answers for each prompt: “I’d be OK with marrying him,” “I’d be hesitant to marry him,” and “I absolutely would not marry him.” Only the 10 list of undesirable traits in potential husbands were published, and only three qualify as being so bad that the respondents said there’s no way they’d marry them.
Mar 21, 2014
It’s a question that has tormented men for generations. As we wait outside the bathroom dying for a pee or needing to shower, shave, or brush our teeth; as we sit alone in restaurants busying ourselves with our mobile phones, worried that people will think our dates have simply given up on us and gone home; as we stand around shopping malls holding shopping bags while our wives, girlfriends, or female friends “run to the restroom for a second” and are nowhere to be seen for what seems like aeons, the question on our minds is always the same: What, in the name of sweet baby Jesus and his shepherd pals, are women doing in the bathroom that could possibly take so, so long?
Finally, we have some answers in the form of a series of 10 surprisingly frank quotes direct from the women of Japan, as gathered by popular Japanese website Naver Matome. If you’ve ever wondered why girls spend so long in the bathroom, this may prove to be enlightening reading.
As the 1990s-era self-help book taught us, something it seems like men are from Mars and women are from Venus. But where are the stereotypes about men and women coming from? Whether or not perceived gender differences are a product of biology, environment or an outdated patriarchal worldview is an argument for another day, but it certainly seems like men and women worldwide think the same about the opposite gender. Some male and female behaviors know no international borders and we have found the memes to (somewhat unscientifically) prove it!
If you hadn’t already noticed, “cute” is a huge part of Japanese culture. From franchised characters known around the world (yes, all the usual favorites like Hello Kitty and Pokémon, to name but two) to local government mascots, Japan is full of cute in various shapes and sizes. But when it comes to passing judgment on what constitutes cute behavior from girls and what doesn’t, there seems to be a significant difference of opinion between the sexes.
There is all kinds of kissing all over the world, but traditionally, in Japan there has only been two kinds and they are the romantic kissing done by couples or kissing babies. Public displays of affection have always been frowned upon, and still are: a kiss on the lips is serious business.
Not to mention how unnaturally kissing comes to most Japanese. The moment for a romantic kiss on any Japanese drama looks excruciatingly uncomfortable, especially in comparison to the “eat each other up” passion of western dramas. The jidaigeki, or Japanese period dramas, feature absolutely no kissing. With this in mind, SK Planet Japan did a survey on 400 20 to 30-year-old men and women to find out young Japanese people’s views on kissing—which is actually pretty interesting considering that kissing has always been an almost taboo subject.
- Chinese netizens left reeling after father of slain Japanese hostage apologizes to the public1
- Forget shuriken: 10 stealthy and dangerous ninja tools you didn’t know existed2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- Burger Decision 2015! Which crazy Lotteria sandwich will you vote for to make a comeback?4
- First Kit Kat Chocolaterie shop with cafe opens in Kyoto! New Chocolaterie items released too5
- Power of soybeans turns Bean-Throwing Festival into sexy action flick in awesome commercial6
- Web series’ anime arsenal expands with real-life version of Kill la Kill’s Scissor Blade【Video】7
- “Can you help meow-t here?” Twitter user discovers why his bread clock was constantly wrong8
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck9
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time2
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin3
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China4
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens5
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough6
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”7
- Creating your own custom etched glass is a lot simpler than you think8
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one9
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school6
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Power of soybeans turns Bean-Throwing Festival into sexy action flick in awesome commercial
- Web series’ anime arsenal expands with real-life version of Kill la Kill’s Scissor Blade【Video】
- “Can you help meow-t here?” Twitter user discovers why his bread clock was constantly wrong
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough
- World’s largest internet hub in Aomori?
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out
- Which one’s your favourite Cid? The evolution of Final Fantasy’s constant character
- Espresso Patronum! Artist creates awesome artwork on Starbucks’ cardboard cup sleeves
- “If you are eating chocolate, how do you know where to stop?” – Being Black in China 【Video】
- Traditional wood-carved guitars prove Japan is the most metal
- Japanese net users surprised to learn that painfully cute bento was in fact made by a teenage boy