Metal Gear Solid V
Anime News Network
Dec 4, 2015
Kojima also did not accept award at PlayStation Awards in Japan on Thursday.
Sep 9, 2015
The release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has been met with as much excitement and frenzy as you might expect from the latest instalment of a legendary video game franchise. But while most players are preoccupied with riding D. Horse around, frolicking in cardboard boxes and puzzling over the intricate story, it’s a certain voiceover that’s had us scratching our heads. Where on earth have we heard iDroid‘s soothing tones before? Oh, that’s right – on the Shinkansen!
Voice actor and vocalist Donna Burke is a veteran of the video game industry, lending her vocal cords to multiple games including MGSV and Silent Hill, and she ALSO provided the English-language spoken announcement that’s broadcast on the bullet train to help foreign visitors navigate their way around Japan!
With Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain now available, gamers are hunkering down to complete Hideo Kojima’s final Metal Gear outing, and the last couple of days have seen a flurry of uploads to YouTube and gaming sites from players wanting to show off their discoveries in the huge open world.
One such discovery has people lamenting the cancellation of Silent Hills, the horror game that was at one time to be Kojima’s next project, all over again. Despite Konami’s attempts to erase its existence by removing it from the Playstation Store, P.T., the playable teaser for the cancelled game, can’t be wiped from gamers’ minds that easily, and apparently not from the company’s latest hit, either.
Anime News Network
Sep 3, 2015
The official U.S. PlayStation blog revealed on Tuesday that Sony‘s Little Big Planet 3 game is offering a Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain-themed costume pack for the game’s characters. Buyers who purchase the costumes as a complete set will also receive a Box Costume for the character Toggle. The costumes can also be purchased separately.
Aug 29, 2015
For months, there have been rumblings of discord between video game publisher Konami and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain director Hideo Kojima. First Kojima’s name, one of the most respected in the industry, was scrubbed from the game’s packaging, and now the popular opinion seems to be that once The Phantom Pain is a completely done deal, Kojima will pack up and leave the company where he’s worked for decades, meaning someone else would be tasked with carrying on the legacy of Metal Gear, a franchise so ground-breaking and successful it literally changed the industry.
But none of this drama seems to have adversely affected The Phantom Pain’s development, as advance reviews of the title have been glowing. And perhaps even more baffling is that even as this might be the end of an era, the series has in no way lost its sense of humor, as seen in this bizarre yet emotional Metal Gear Solid V TV commercial starring an about-to-be-wed bride and groom, dressed in their finest Metal Gear-style cardboard boxes.
Anime News Network
Aug 5, 2015
May 12, 2015
Recently, anime and video game fans have been sharing pictures online of the shoddily produced figurines that merchandisers have been foisting on them. This isn’t something that happens exclusively with low-profile franchises, either, as mega-hit Attack on Titan dropped the second of two plastic duds just last month.
Given the falling out between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and long-time employer Konami, you might think the famed game designer is taking a similarly apathetic attitude towards the merchandise for his upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Kojima is a pro, though, and not about to let his acrimonious situation with the game’s publisher discourage him from making sure the title and all its related products are of the utmost quality.
That’s right, Metal Gear fans, you can breathe easy, because it’s been confirmed that the figure of the game’s female sniper has soft, squishable breasts.
Apr 30, 2015
If you have even a passing interest in video games, then you’ll no doubt have heard that Silent Hills, the new, crazy-scary, Daryl-from-The Walking Dead-featuring reboot of long-running survival horror series Silent Hill, has been cancelled.
For many, Silent Hills represented the sole reason to own a PlayStation 4 as it bobs along in a sea of multi-platform titles and high-definition re-releases of last-gen games. But with the removal of its “playable teaser” from the PlayStation Store today, Silent Hills is gone – poof – into dust because director and industry veteran Hideo Kojima is to part ways with parent company Konami the moment he finishes work on his other big project, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
But what exactly is going on over at Konami? And why on earth would the company scrap a game that was already garnering so much praise and generating such excitement? Join us after the jump as we explore the myriad rumours and theories regarding Kojima and Konami’s messy breakup.
Mar 5, 2015
Sony’s PlayStation 4 has been on the market for fewer than 18 months, but already we’ve seen about as many special-edition incarnations of the console, from a lacklustre The Evil Within–themed unit, to an undeniably cool metal Dragon Quest model, to one, for some reason, based on Disney’s Frozen.
And now, thanks to a joint venture between Konami and Sony, there’s yet another model joining the special-edition ranks: The Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PS4.
Feb 19, 2014
Never shy of releasing a special edition product or two, Japan’s Konami Corporation has announced a limited “Fox Edition” Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes-themed PlayStation 4 console just for Japanese gamers ahead of the game’s release on March 20.
We’re sure the console will appeal to some people’s tastes and fans will no doubt want to add it to their collection of MGS merch, but quite honestly we’re not entirely bowled over by the design Konami went with.
- Nintendo Switch has hidden NES emulator, accessed with two tributes to the late President Iwata1
- The true identity of Cup Noodle’s “mystery meat”2
- Kim Jong-un’s “little red book” of quotes is the worst joke book you can buy for 500 yen3
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 most offensive Japanese swear words 【Weird Top Five】4
- Japanese console game market shrinks to nearly one-third its size ten years ago5
- Tokyo holds event where you can ride a Ferris wheel with the hunk of your dreams6
- Triumph lingerie company creates sake underwear using fabric made with Japanese rice wine7
- TPE48 recruiting new members, gets 21 schools to participate in “Koi Suru Fortune Cookie” video8
- Anime’s top 10 gross but compelling series, as chosen by fans9
- Gorgeous Japanese wheelchair merges mobility with elegant wedding dress styling10
- Japanese boys’ school uniform inspires steamy new swimsuit for women1
- Disturbing video shows man pulling pubic hairs, flicking them on sleeping woman on Japanese train2
- An often-forgotten part of Japanese train etiquette that we should all keep in mind3
- The true identity of Cup Noodle’s “mystery meat”4
- Japanese man religiously followed “9 grooming steps” for three years, netted himself a girlfriend5
- Japan’s anime-loving penguin loses his 2-D waifu temporarily, breaks our hearts with sad photos6
- Top 10 anime women with biggest, most impactful breasts, voted by thousands of Japanese netizens7
- Heart-breaking plea from kids looking for their mama convinces Tokyo subway station to bend rules8
- Japan Delicacy Poster shows off delicious local dishes from 42 regions in one gorgeous print9
- Netflix’s Death Note director deletes Twitter account, has had it with the fan complaints10
- Seoul anti-suicide initiative backfires, deaths increase by more than six times1
- “Death room” cleanup employee makes “beautiful” replicas of terrifying rooms people died alone in2
- Sexy Japanese actress strokes turtle head in tourism promotion video drawing complaints【Video】3
- Japanese boys’ school uniform inspires steamy new swimsuit for women4
- Five things that shock Japanese people living abroad5
- Japan’s new line of sexy, intimate room wear aims to fulfill men’s crossdressing needs 【Pics】6
- Many Japanese workers told by workplaces during missile scare: “Please come to work as usual”7
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 most offensive Japanese swear words 【Weird Top Five】8
- Chun-Li and Cammy, Street Fighter video game’s first fighting females, get Japanese lingerie sets9
- North Korea launches missiles over Japan, activating J-Alert warning system10
- Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen singer marries beautiful swimsuit model 15 years his junior【Photos】1
- Nintendo says there are no game overs, EVER, in upcoming Super Mario Odyssey2
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads3
- Seoul anti-suicide initiative backfires, deaths increase by more than six times4
- Here’s why you’ll never want to hit a hole-in-one in Japan5
- The train station that stayed open for a single school girl finally closes down6
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 most offensive Japanese swear words 【Weird Top Five】7
- Sexy Japanese actress strokes turtle head in tourism promotion video drawing complaints【Video】8
- Malaysian man pays over US$46,000 to look like Final Fantasy’s Squall Leonhart【Photos】9
- American woman arrested after throwing away massive supply of bullets in Tokyo airport trash can10
- Tokyo holds event where you can ride a Ferris wheel with the hunk of your dreams
- Triumph lingerie company creates sake underwear using fabric made with Japanese rice wine
- TPE48 recruiting new members, gets 21 schools to participate in “Koi Suru Fortune Cookie” video
- Anime’s top 10 gross but compelling series, as chosen by fans
- Gorgeous Japanese wheelchair merges mobility with elegant wedding dress styling
- An easy way to stop people from stealing your umbrella in Japan, plus put smiles on a few faces
- What’s really for breakfast? 20 Japanese people give us a peek at their morning meal【Photos】
- To –san or not to –san? Should you use the Japanese honorific suffix when speaking English?
- Students at new online high school in Japan make anime-style avatars for virtual campus
- Michelin star-winning ramen can now be bought nationwide in cup noodle form
- Why Foreign Guys in Japan Get So Many Girls