By now, the video gaming community is all but painfully aware of the sudden divorce between game director Hideo Kojima and game developer Konami. Solid Snake himself has even tweeted the fact that studio Kojima Productions has been disbanded, the studio logo having been removed from advertisement posters for the upcoming title, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Metal Gear Solid
Jul 29, 2015
Last weekend, we headed out to Chiba Prefecture to attend Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and garage kit-building convention. Along with all sorts of inanimate representations of animated characters, we also checked out all of the impressive cosplayers who’d gathered from all over Japan for the event.
We already shared our photos of the female costumers, but we remembered to save some room on our memory card for the guys as well, and so we proudly present the male cosplayers of this year’s Summer Wonder Festival.
May 21, 2015
Our resident oddball writer Mr. Sato loves his coffee, so much so that he finds it impossible to pass by a Starbucks without stopping in for a quick coffee break. The only problem is that he tends to favour “girly” drinks like frappuccinos, and lives in fear of being spotted by friends and acquaintances enjoying one.
The solution? Sneak into Starbucks underneath a cardboard box, Solid Snake-style, and see if the baristas will serve coffee to a cardboard box. Check out our video to see how he did!
May 12, 2015
Recently, anime and video game fans have been sharing pictures online of the shoddily produced figurines that merchandisers have been foisting on them. This isn’t something that happens exclusively with low-profile franchises, either, as mega-hit Attack on Titan dropped the second of two plastic duds just last month.
Given the falling out between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and long-time employer Konami, you might think the famed game designer is taking a similarly apathetic attitude towards the merchandise for his upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Kojima is a pro, though, and not about to let his acrimonious situation with the game’s publisher discourage him from making sure the title and all its related products are of the utmost quality.
That’s right, Metal Gear fans, you can breathe easy, because it’s been confirmed that the figure of the game’s female sniper has soft, squishable breasts.
Apr 2, 2015
For decades, the Metal Gear franchise has been teaching video game players to be patient. In contrast to other games, where the hero can just load up on firepower and go charging in with guns blazing, Metal Gear is all about staying hidden, carefully infiltrating enemy territory, and only striking when the time is right.
Fans have been putting that patience to use as the most popular branch of the franchise, Metal Gear Solid, keeps inching towards its long-discussed live-action film adaptation. The production seems to have finally hit another checkpoint, though, with reports that the movie now has a scriptwriter.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Feb 21, 2015
Korean gamers and netizens are crying tears of joy now that Sony has announced it will be translating some of the most popular Playstation titles into Korean for the first time. This might come as a surprise for many considering the popularity of video games in Japan’s close neighbor, but for years fans of these series were deprived of the ultimate gaming experience in their native tongue. However, that will finally change this summer.
Sep 4, 2014
On display at last month’s Otakon anime convention, this incredible feat of cosplay blurs the line between outfit and scale model, with the wearer requiring a small team to help them put it on.
Jul 30, 2014
We recently made the trip across the Pacific to Comic-Con in San Diego, where we checked out the newest titles from the exhibitors and the costumes made by their fans. Our traveling reporter Yoshio even decided to join in and dress up too.
San Diego wasn’t the only place to see some cool cosplay last weekend, though. Back here in Japan, the summer Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and figure exhibition, was going on, so we headed over to the Makuhari Messe convention center to photograph the amazing costumes.
Good stock photos can be hard to come by sometimes, especially if they’re of niche matters like child soldiers. So when a bustling newsroom intern tracks down a perfect photo of children wielding rifles and sitting on tanks, it’s too good to pass up. Even if the photo looks a little off.
Dec 19, 2012
“Hideo-kun! What do you want in your lunchbox for school tomorrow? Ham and cheese? Peanut butter and jelly? Or how about Solid Snaaaaaaaake!”
The image you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is genuine, 100% completely edible food. We’ve seen colourful character bentō lunchboxes before, but this is something else.
As part of its 25 years of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy celebrations, Japanese game developer Konami has had a set of truly amazing lunchboxes made for a photo event. Featuring characters from both of the long-running series, the lunchboxes are so detailed that they almost look like waxworks. No matter how many times we look at these things, we can’t quite get over the fact that it’s actually food.
- Everything you wanted to know about girls’ school uniforms in Japan 1
- Japanese cosplayers share their “then vs now” photos, and the difference is eye-opening2
- Taiwan train pass cancelled after image found to have come from Japanese adult video3
- We explore the evolution of the toilet at Kitakyushu’s newly opened TOTO Museum4
- World’s most patient pet owner strolls Tokyo with his huge tortoise5
- Love Livers spotted wearing biker-style coats at anime song festival, concertgoers not impressed6
- Border patrol between China and Russia staffed by… scarecrows?7
- Our English writer rates 15 teas from Japanese conbini, is fully hydrated for the rest of summer8
- Online shop’s anime character personal seals look awesome, can be used for legal paperwork9
- Toyota ad about lonely father and dog has a twist ending, will tug at your heartstrings 【Video】10
- These amazing Furoshiki Shoes from Vibram are designed to literally wrap around your feet!1
- The difference between a fat woman and a plump one, according to one Japanese Twitter artist2
- Cosplayers find a way to enjoy Japan’s love hotels while staying fully clothed: Photo sessions3
- Polish visitor’s perverted otaku party goes viral on Twitter4
- American English teacher in Japan takes a moment to remind student that anime is not real5
- What do Magic: The Gathering and Idolmaster have in common? Apparently, quite a bit!6
- Sleeping Bag Pikachu wants to snuggle up with you under the stars on your next camping trip7
- Dog found trapped in a Japanese suburb is a little sad, a little cute, thankfully all OK8
- If he’s too hot, then he must be a girl! Japanese women smitten with “hot-guy girl” model9
- Creepy ‘ghost’ caught on camera in Filipino high school10
- History crash course: Charming animation shows 80 years of Singapore history in 16 minutes【Video】1
- Cosplaying as an ultra-pale character? Japanese Twitter users have found the perfect product!2
- Netizens are head-over-heels in love with the “cutest McDonald’s goddess” in Taiwan 【Photos】3
- Polish visitor’s perverted otaku party goes viral on Twitter4
- Try not to cry at this series of short films showing struggles working mothers face in Japan5
- These amazing Furoshiki Shoes from Vibram are designed to literally wrap around your feet!6
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls7
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”8
- Japan gets a new stationmaster cat as Nitama is officially named successor to the departed Tama9
- Man in China sells fake clouds, makes pretty good money doing so10
- Age is just a number: 50-year-old Chinese model releases new photobook, drives the Internet crazy1
- Gorgeous college student quits school to become a butcher, gets hailed as “Pork Princess” online2
- Sea bunnies? Japanese netizens going nuts for super cute sea slug3
- Executives arrested from scam dating sites that had 2.7 million users and only one female member4
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure5
- History crash course: Charming animation shows 80 years of Singapore history in 16 minutes【Video】6
- Cosplaying as an ultra-pale character? Japanese Twitter users have found the perfect product!7
- Netizens are head-over-heels in love with the “cutest McDonald’s goddess” in Taiwan 【Photos】8
- Polish visitor’s perverted otaku party goes viral on Twitter9
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”10
- Love Livers spotted wearing biker-style coats at anime song festival, concertgoers not impressed
- Border patrol between China and Russia staffed by… scarecrows?
- Our English writer rates 15 teas from Japanese conbini, is fully hydrated for the rest of summer
- Online shop’s anime character personal seals look awesome, can be used for legal paperwork
- Toyota ad about lonely father and dog has a twist ending, will tug at your heartstrings 【Video】
- Nagano Prefecture’s Mishaka Pond offers mirror-like waters, inspiration for art lovers
- These amazing Furoshiki Shoes from Vibram are designed to literally wrap around your feet!
- The Pokémon Company sues organizers of Pokémon-themed party for copyright infringement
- Youth climbing “genius” Miwa Oba stars in new commercial and nearly breaks the Internet【Video】
- Cakes that bring a giant Totoro-sized smile to any Studio Ghibli fan’s face【Photos】
- The Top 25 Things In Japan Most Likely To Blow Foreigners’ Minds
- Netizens are head-over-heels in love with the “cutest McDonald’s goddess” in Taiwan 【Photos】
- Metal Gear cardboard box wedding ad full of crazy, bittersweet belly laughs, just like the games