He kept us waiting, but the internationally renowned video game director is finally ready to start work on his next project.
Metal Gear Solid
Nov 20, 2015
Sniper Wolf figure hits the bullseye where a love of boobs, video games, and dogs overlap.
Nov 11, 2015
A collaboration between video game giant Konami and prostheses expert Sophie De Oliviera Barata aims to give an amputee gamer a new arm inspired by Metal Gear Solid.
It has been announced that Noriyoshi Ohrai—the Japanese illustrator best known for producing remarkable poster art for Metal Gear Solid as well as for films including the Godzilla series and Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back—passed away from pneumonia yesterday morning at the age of 79.
With a career spanning over half a century and an impressive portfolio of artworks for novels, games and well-known international movie releases, fans around the world are mourning the loss of a great talent and taking a look back at his extraordinary body of work.
Oct 27, 2015
You probably remember that incredible Raiden cosplay from this year’s Tokyo Game Show—the one with the moving mask that wowed pretty much everyone on Internet. We were always a bit bummed there wasn’t more to all the videos and photos, but now Masazi, the cosplayer behind the amazing outfit, has released a minute-long video showing off her suit in action!
Sep 23, 2015
Sadly, Tokyo Game Show 2015 is now over, but the buzz created by the event is still tingling in our bellies and in our hearts! Kind of like indigestion, but awesome. We saw and tried a lot of cool stuff, but we couldn’t catch it all, unfortunately. Thankfully, the Internet somehow managed to do just that, including one of the most amazing cosplays we’ve ever seen, hands down.
We’re not sure if anyone can really “win” cosplaying, since everyone wins when you’re having fun, but if there is a champion among all of TGS 2015’s cosplayers, we think it might be this woman’s take on Metal Gear Solid’s Raiden.
By now, the video gaming community is all but painfully aware of the sudden divorce between game director Hideo Kojima and game developer Konami. Solid Snake himself has even tweeted the fact that studio Kojima Productions has been disbanded, the studio logo having been removed from advertisement posters for the upcoming title, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Jul 29, 2015
Last weekend, we headed out to Chiba Prefecture to attend Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and garage kit-building convention. Along with all sorts of inanimate representations of animated characters, we also checked out all of the impressive cosplayers who’d gathered from all over Japan for the event.
We already shared our photos of the female costumers, but we remembered to save some room on our memory card for the guys as well, and so we proudly present the male cosplayers of this year’s Summer Wonder Festival.
May 21, 2015
Our resident oddball writer Mr. Sato loves his coffee, so much so that he finds it impossible to pass by a Starbucks without stopping in for a quick coffee break. The only problem is that he tends to favour “girly” drinks like frappuccinos, and lives in fear of being spotted by friends and acquaintances enjoying one.
The solution? Sneak into Starbucks underneath a cardboard box, Solid Snake-style, and see if the baristas will serve coffee to a cardboard box. Check out our video to see how he did!
May 12, 2015
Recently, anime and video game fans have been sharing pictures online of the shoddily produced figurines that merchandisers have been foisting on them. This isn’t something that happens exclusively with low-profile franchises, either, as mega-hit Attack on Titan dropped the second of two plastic duds just last month.
Given the falling out between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and long-time employer Konami, you might think the famed game designer is taking a similarly apathetic attitude towards the merchandise for his upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Kojima is a pro, though, and not about to let his acrimonious situation with the game’s publisher discourage him from making sure the title and all its related products are of the utmost quality.
That’s right, Metal Gear fans, you can breathe easy, because it’s been confirmed that the figure of the game’s female sniper has soft, squishable breasts.
Apr 2, 2015
For decades, the Metal Gear franchise has been teaching video game players to be patient. In contrast to other games, where the hero can just load up on firepower and go charging in with guns blazing, Metal Gear is all about staying hidden, carefully infiltrating enemy territory, and only striking when the time is right.
Fans have been putting that patience to use as the most popular branch of the franchise, Metal Gear Solid, keeps inching towards its long-discussed live-action film adaptation. The production seems to have finally hit another checkpoint, though, with reports that the movie now has a scriptwriter.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Feb 21, 2015
Korean gamers and netizens are crying tears of joy now that Sony has announced it will be translating some of the most popular Playstation titles into Korean for the first time. This might come as a surprise for many considering the popularity of video games in Japan’s close neighbor, but for years fans of these series were deprived of the ultimate gaming experience in their native tongue. However, that will finally change this summer.
Sep 4, 2014
On display at last month’s Otakon anime convention, this incredible feat of cosplay blurs the line between outfit and scale model, with the wearer requiring a small team to help them put it on.
Jul 30, 2014
We recently made the trip across the Pacific to Comic-Con in San Diego, where we checked out the newest titles from the exhibitors and the costumes made by their fans. Our traveling reporter Yoshio even decided to join in and dress up too.
San Diego wasn’t the only place to see some cool cosplay last weekend, though. Back here in Japan, the summer Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and figure exhibition, was going on, so we headed over to the Makuhari Messe convention center to photograph the amazing costumes.
Good stock photos can be hard to come by sometimes, especially if they’re of niche matters like child soldiers. So when a bustling newsroom intern tracks down a perfect photo of children wielding rifles and sitting on tanks, it’s too good to pass up. Even if the photo looks a little off.
Dec 19, 2012
“Hideo-kun! What do you want in your lunchbox for school tomorrow? Ham and cheese? Peanut butter and jelly? Or how about Solid Snaaaaaaaake!”
The image you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is genuine, 100% completely edible food. We’ve seen colourful character bentō lunchboxes before, but this is something else.
As part of its 25 years of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy celebrations, Japanese game developer Konami has had a set of truly amazing lunchboxes made for a photo event. Featuring characters from both of the long-running series, the lunchboxes are so detailed that they almost look like waxworks. No matter how many times we look at these things, we can’t quite get over the fact that it’s actually food.
- Check out this thug on a train getting owned after picking a fight with the wrong guy1
- Japanese artist’s comic about father’s unexpected “confession” is both awkward and heartwarming2
- An inside look at Japan’s largest (nearly) naked festival (and how you can participate!)3
- Final Fantasy Chocolates: The gift your gaming Valentine actually wants4
- Hey, you can’t do that! — 10 things that will get you on China’s no-fly list for life5
- Yukitchen presents: Jabba the Hutt Vegan Shepherd’s Pie【Recipe】6
- And the winner of the Street Fighter V “Miss Chun-Li Cosplay Contest” is… Zangief?!7
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts8
- Forget dog-earing and bookmarks that fall, make your own easy origami bookmark instead!9
- Cosplaying cat duo charm the world with their outfits and their adorable facial expressions10
- Final Fantasy Chocolates: The gift your gaming Valentine actually wants1
- Japanese Twitter artist illustrates six differences between imagined ideals and reality for women2
- Hairdresser creates unique formulations to match clients’ hair colour with their favourite anime star3
- Hey, you can’t do that! — 10 things that will get you on China’s no-fly list for life4
- Japanese university student makes stunning wooden clock that literally writes the time 【Video】5
- Madonna gaffe reminds us how tricky it can be to hold a concert in Asia6
- World’s first-ever Sakura Pepsi coming to Japan this March7
- Adidas collaborates with singer Rita Ora to create geisha-inspired collection8
- Hate your job? Be honest: Is it really worse than massaging hot supermodels for a living?9
- Awesome Goku cosplayer tours city while riding Dragon Ball’s Flying Nimbus10
- Clever and cute cat keyhole bra is only one-fourth of lingerie set’s feline charms 【Photos】1
- Censored cosplay tights: A new concept in keeping your undies hidden at anime conventions2
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】3
- Cosplayer’s grandmother joins photo shoot for most heartwarming Howl’s Moving Castle cosplay ever4
- Final Fantasy Chocolates: The gift your gaming Valentine actually wants5
- Japan’s train otaku ruin the sweet story of the lone schoolgirl and her train station6
- Mother’s note to son in the final bento of his high school life gives Twitter the feels7
- Forget dog-earing and bookmarks that fall, make your own easy origami bookmark instead!8
- New line of skirts promises to give you the slim waist and long legs of an anime heroine 【Photos】9
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time10
- Japanese dad teaches daughter how to handle alcohol, has Twitter in tears1
- You can now buy sliced chocolate in Japan—sandwiches will never be the same!2
- Clever and cute cat keyhole bra is only one-fourth of lingerie set’s feline charms 【Photos】3
- The “Venice of Japan” in Kyoto: a secret destination tourists don’t know about yet4
- Censored cosplay tights: A new concept in keeping your undies hidden at anime conventions5
- Upskirt umbrellas are now a thing in Japan6
- Man overjoyed as woman who crashed into his car turns out to be AV star Maria Ozawa【Video】7
- Samurai hoodies are a bushido blend of old-school style and modern fashion 【Photos】8
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】9
- Cosplayer’s grandmother joins photo shoot for most heartwarming Howl’s Moving Castle cosplay ever10
- Yukitchen presents: Jabba the Hutt Vegan Shepherd’s Pie【Recipe】
- And the winner of the Street Fighter V “Miss Chun-Li Cosplay Contest” is… Zangief?!
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts
- Forget dog-earing and bookmarks that fall, make your own easy origami bookmark instead!
- Cosplaying cat duo charm the world with their outfits and their adorable facial expressions
- Japanese organizer cats will keep the inside of your bag orderly and adorable at all times
- We visit “Rice and Circus,” a restaurant that combines bugs and Japanese-style cooking【Photos】
- Quick-thinking truck driver takes burning vehicle to fire fighters instead of calling them to him
- Japanese department store invites couples to mine a solid chocolate mountain this Valentine’s Day
- Japanese dad teaches daughter how to handle alcohol, has Twitter in tears
- Promo for Yanagawa City is filled with the beauty of Japan, adorable dancing girls【Video】
- Sixth-grader’s tear-jerking essay becomes a project to help stray pets across Japan
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons