By now, the video gaming community is all but painfully aware of the sudden divorce between game director Hideo Kojima and game developer Konami. Solid Snake himself has even tweeted the fact that studio Kojima Productions has been disbanded, the studio logo having been removed from advertisement posters for the upcoming title, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Metal Gear Solid
Jul 29, 2015
Last weekend, we headed out to Chiba Prefecture to attend Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and garage kit-building convention. Along with all sorts of inanimate representations of animated characters, we also checked out all of the impressive cosplayers who’d gathered from all over Japan for the event.
We already shared our photos of the female costumers, but we remembered to save some room on our memory card for the guys as well, and so we proudly present the male cosplayers of this year’s Summer Wonder Festival.
May 21, 2015
Our resident oddball writer Mr. Sato loves his coffee, so much so that he finds it impossible to pass by a Starbucks without stopping in for a quick coffee break. The only problem is that he tends to favour “girly” drinks like frappuccinos, and lives in fear of being spotted by friends and acquaintances enjoying one.
The solution? Sneak into Starbucks underneath a cardboard box, Solid Snake-style, and see if the baristas will serve coffee to a cardboard box. Check out our video to see how he did!
May 12, 2015
Recently, anime and video game fans have been sharing pictures online of the shoddily produced figurines that merchandisers have been foisting on them. This isn’t something that happens exclusively with low-profile franchises, either, as mega-hit Attack on Titan dropped the second of two plastic duds just last month.
Given the falling out between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and long-time employer Konami, you might think the famed game designer is taking a similarly apathetic attitude towards the merchandise for his upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Kojima is a pro, though, and not about to let his acrimonious situation with the game’s publisher discourage him from making sure the title and all its related products are of the utmost quality.
That’s right, Metal Gear fans, you can breathe easy, because it’s been confirmed that the figure of the game’s female sniper has soft, squishable breasts.
Apr 2, 2015
For decades, the Metal Gear franchise has been teaching video game players to be patient. In contrast to other games, where the hero can just load up on firepower and go charging in with guns blazing, Metal Gear is all about staying hidden, carefully infiltrating enemy territory, and only striking when the time is right.
Fans have been putting that patience to use as the most popular branch of the franchise, Metal Gear Solid, keeps inching towards its long-discussed live-action film adaptation. The production seems to have finally hit another checkpoint, though, with reports that the movie now has a scriptwriter.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Feb 21, 2015
Korean gamers and netizens are crying tears of joy now that Sony has announced it will be translating some of the most popular Playstation titles into Korean for the first time. This might come as a surprise for many considering the popularity of video games in Japan’s close neighbor, but for years fans of these series were deprived of the ultimate gaming experience in their native tongue. However, that will finally change this summer.
Sep 4, 2014
On display at last month’s Otakon anime convention, this incredible feat of cosplay blurs the line between outfit and scale model, with the wearer requiring a small team to help them put it on.
Jul 30, 2014
We recently made the trip across the Pacific to Comic-Con in San Diego, where we checked out the newest titles from the exhibitors and the costumes made by their fans. Our traveling reporter Yoshio even decided to join in and dress up too.
San Diego wasn’t the only place to see some cool cosplay last weekend, though. Back here in Japan, the summer Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and figure exhibition, was going on, so we headed over to the Makuhari Messe convention center to photograph the amazing costumes.
Good stock photos can be hard to come by sometimes, especially if they’re of niche matters like child soldiers. So when a bustling newsroom intern tracks down a perfect photo of children wielding rifles and sitting on tanks, it’s too good to pass up. Even if the photo looks a little off.
Dec 19, 2012
“Hideo-kun! What do you want in your lunchbox for school tomorrow? Ham and cheese? Peanut butter and jelly? Or how about Solid Snaaaaaaaake!”
The image you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is genuine, 100% completely edible food. We’ve seen colourful character bentō lunchboxes before, but this is something else.
As part of its 25 years of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy celebrations, Japanese game developer Konami has had a set of truly amazing lunchboxes made for a photo event. Featuring characters from both of the long-running series, the lunchboxes are so detailed that they almost look like waxworks. No matter how many times we look at these things, we can’t quite get over the fact that it’s actually food.
- Say konnichiwa to Erica, the android who can have “completely natural” conversations 【Video】1
- “Got caught cheating.” 10 of the weirdest reasons Japanese store owners closed shop for the day2
- 7 more things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing3
- 44 years old is plenty young to star in a lingerie ad, proves Japanese model 【Videos】4
- Cardcaptor Sakura is ready to capture your phone with this elegant anime iPhone case5
- 7 Japanese customs that even Japanese people wish would just disappear6
- Facial recognition website decides how masculine or feminine you are, suggests famous look-alikes7
- Japanese arcade has floor pads so fans can kneel before, leave offerings to their anime crushes8
- Feast your eyes on yet more adorable 8-bit GIFs depicting daily life in Japan9
- The quintessential Kyoto experience: becoming a maiko for the day! 【Pics & video】10
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure1
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”2
- Feast your eyes on yet more adorable 8-bit GIFs depicting daily life in Japan3
- Girls, drink all you want! “Hangover Makeup” is in!4
- See Japan like never before at “Ambiguous☆Thighs Photo Studio” 【Pics】5
- 7 Japanese customs that even Japanese people wish would just disappear6
- Seeing double? Twin-like couple wed in the most controversial marriage in Russia【Photos】7
- How do they make those amazing life-size anime statues? We find out (and snap tons of pictures)8
- Cans of Coca Cola wrapped and sealed in plastic containers leave us wondering “WHY?!”9
- Japanese arcade has floor pads so fans can kneel before, leave offerings to their anime crushes10
- Age is just a number: 50-year-old Chinese model releases new photobook, drives the Internet crazy1
- Sea bunnies? Japanese netizens going nuts for super cute sea slug2
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure3
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”4
- The clean otaku only needs one thing to remove grime from an anime keychain, and it’s not soap5
- Japan’s 43-year-old sweetheart is back with a new DVD showing her in schoolgirl uniform, bikinis6
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】7
- Video of Chinese couple doing it in changing room triggers Uniqlo selfie boom8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Japanese Twitter celebrates new “Muslim Lolita fashion” trend 【Pics】10
- This is how Japan’s train-cleaning crews clean the Shinkansen in only seven minutes1
- Age is just a number: 50-year-old Chinese model releases new photobook, drives the Internet crazy2
- Gorgeous college student quits school to become a butcher, gets hailed as “Pork Princess” online3
- Japanese Twitter user’s comics depicting office-lady life will hit you right in the feels4
- Sayonara, sushi: 21 little things that people miss after leaving Japan5
- Sea bunnies? Japanese netizens going nuts for super cute sea slug6
- Executives arrested from scam dating sites that had 2.7 million users and only one female member7
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure8
- We tried Tokyo’s “rent a middle-aged Japanese man” service, and it was awesome!9
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls10
- 7 Japanese customs that even Japanese people wish would just disappear
- Facial recognition website decides how masculine or feminine you are, suggests famous look-alikes
- Japanese arcade has floor pads so fans can kneel before, leave offerings to their anime crushes
- Feast your eyes on yet more adorable 8-bit GIFs depicting daily life in Japan
- The quintessential Kyoto experience: becoming a maiko for the day! 【Pics & video】
- “Do you want some ramen with those eggs?” Our reporter tries ramen with ALL THE EGGS!
- How do they make those amazing life-size anime statues? We find out (and snap tons of pictures)
- 5 discriminatory interview questions employers in Japan are no longer allowed to ask
- Beat the heat with these 14 adorable daikon dishes!
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”
- TMI alert! Japanese high school students are causing a stir online by sharing their “LOVE videos”
- Holy smokes! Super-pricey ice cream cigars are this summer’s hottest cool treat
- The Last Guardian’s director talks about delays, what to expect in finished PlayStation 4 game