Metal Gear Solid
Kojima: “I want to make something that will have a big enough impact to become a series”.
Dec 16, 2015
He kept us waiting, but the internationally renowned video game director is finally ready to start work on his next project.
Nov 20, 2015
Sniper Wolf figure hits the bullseye where a love of boobs, video games, and dogs overlap.
Nov 11, 2015
A collaboration between video game giant Konami and prostheses expert Sophie De Oliviera Barata aims to give an amputee gamer a new arm inspired by Metal Gear Solid.
It has been announced that Noriyoshi Ohrai—the Japanese illustrator best known for producing remarkable poster art for Metal Gear Solid as well as for films including the Godzilla series and Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back—passed away from pneumonia yesterday morning at the age of 79.
With a career spanning over half a century and an impressive portfolio of artworks for novels, games and well-known international movie releases, fans around the world are mourning the loss of a great talent and taking a look back at his extraordinary body of work.
Oct 27, 2015
You probably remember that incredible Raiden cosplay from this year’s Tokyo Game Show—the one with the moving mask that wowed pretty much everyone on Internet. We were always a bit bummed there wasn’t more to all the videos and photos, but now Masazi, the cosplayer behind the amazing outfit, has released a minute-long video showing off her suit in action!
Sep 23, 2015
Sadly, Tokyo Game Show 2015 is now over, but the buzz created by the event is still tingling in our bellies and in our hearts! Kind of like indigestion, but awesome. We saw and tried a lot of cool stuff, but we couldn’t catch it all, unfortunately. Thankfully, the Internet somehow managed to do just that, including one of the most amazing cosplays we’ve ever seen, hands down.
We’re not sure if anyone can really “win” cosplaying, since everyone wins when you’re having fun, but if there is a champion among all of TGS 2015’s cosplayers, we think it might be this woman’s take on Metal Gear Solid’s Raiden.
By now, the video gaming community is all but painfully aware of the sudden divorce between game director Hideo Kojima and game developer Konami. Solid Snake himself has even tweeted the fact that studio Kojima Productions has been disbanded, the studio logo having been removed from advertisement posters for the upcoming title, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Jul 29, 2015
Last weekend, we headed out to Chiba Prefecture to attend Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and garage kit-building convention. Along with all sorts of inanimate representations of animated characters, we also checked out all of the impressive cosplayers who’d gathered from all over Japan for the event.
We already shared our photos of the female costumers, but we remembered to save some room on our memory card for the guys as well, and so we proudly present the male cosplayers of this year’s Summer Wonder Festival.
May 21, 2015
Our resident oddball writer Mr. Sato loves his coffee, so much so that he finds it impossible to pass by a Starbucks without stopping in for a quick coffee break. The only problem is that he tends to favour “girly” drinks like frappuccinos, and lives in fear of being spotted by friends and acquaintances enjoying one.
The solution? Sneak into Starbucks underneath a cardboard box, Solid Snake-style, and see if the baristas will serve coffee to a cardboard box. Check out our video to see how he did!
May 12, 2015
Recently, anime and video game fans have been sharing pictures online of the shoddily produced figurines that merchandisers have been foisting on them. This isn’t something that happens exclusively with low-profile franchises, either, as mega-hit Attack on Titan dropped the second of two plastic duds just last month.
Given the falling out between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and long-time employer Konami, you might think the famed game designer is taking a similarly apathetic attitude towards the merchandise for his upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Kojima is a pro, though, and not about to let his acrimonious situation with the game’s publisher discourage him from making sure the title and all its related products are of the utmost quality.
That’s right, Metal Gear fans, you can breathe easy, because it’s been confirmed that the figure of the game’s female sniper has soft, squishable breasts.
Apr 2, 2015
For decades, the Metal Gear franchise has been teaching video game players to be patient. In contrast to other games, where the hero can just load up on firepower and go charging in with guns blazing, Metal Gear is all about staying hidden, carefully infiltrating enemy territory, and only striking when the time is right.
Fans have been putting that patience to use as the most popular branch of the franchise, Metal Gear Solid, keeps inching towards its long-discussed live-action film adaptation. The production seems to have finally hit another checkpoint, though, with reports that the movie now has a scriptwriter.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Feb 21, 2015
Korean gamers and netizens are crying tears of joy now that Sony has announced it will be translating some of the most popular Playstation titles into Korean for the first time. This might come as a surprise for many considering the popularity of video games in Japan’s close neighbor, but for years fans of these series were deprived of the ultimate gaming experience in their native tongue. However, that will finally change this summer.
Sep 4, 2014
On display at last month’s Otakon anime convention, this incredible feat of cosplay blurs the line between outfit and scale model, with the wearer requiring a small team to help them put it on.
Jul 30, 2014
We recently made the trip across the Pacific to Comic-Con in San Diego, where we checked out the newest titles from the exhibitors and the costumes made by their fans. Our traveling reporter Yoshio even decided to join in and dress up too.
San Diego wasn’t the only place to see some cool cosplay last weekend, though. Back here in Japan, the summer Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and figure exhibition, was going on, so we headed over to the Makuhari Messe convention center to photograph the amazing costumes.
Good stock photos can be hard to come by sometimes, especially if they’re of niche matters like child soldiers. So when a bustling newsroom intern tracks down a perfect photo of children wielding rifles and sitting on tanks, it’s too good to pass up. Even if the photo looks a little off.
Dec 19, 2012
“Hideo-kun! What do you want in your lunchbox for school tomorrow? Ham and cheese? Peanut butter and jelly? Or how about Solid Snaaaaaaaake!”
The image you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is genuine, 100% completely edible food. We’ve seen colourful character bentō lunchboxes before, but this is something else.
As part of its 25 years of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy celebrations, Japanese game developer Konami has had a set of truly amazing lunchboxes made for a photo event. Featuring characters from both of the long-running series, the lunchboxes are so detailed that they almost look like waxworks. No matter how many times we look at these things, we can’t quite get over the fact that it’s actually food.
- Turn rough sketches into crisp digital line art with free web service from Waseda University1
- Catchy tune “Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen” takes the world by storm2
- Japan’s sexy instant ramen ads return, once again satisfy two meanings of “hot”【Videos】3
- Powerful typhoon winds turn refrigerator into a car on Taiwan street 【Videos】4
- Here’s why it’s a good thing Pokémon GO’s capture sessions aren’t in a third-person view5
- Japanese horror icon Sadako collaborates with Snickers in yummy commercial!6
- The 10 most beautiful places to see the autumn leaves in Japan, as chosen by travelers7
- Pokémon Go in Japan: 7 top sightseeing spots where you can catch Pokémon in Tokyo8
- Japan’s Awaji Island holds a beauty contest that will leave you in tears9
- 12 strange Japanese names for Western sports, from “fighting ball” to “reject ball”10
- Amazing exhibition of Japan’s legendary “cursed katana” is going on right now【Photos】1
- Woman kills self jumping onto train tracks, delay causes conductor to jump off tracks at other station2
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 most offensive Japanese swear words 【Weird Top Five】3
- Increasing number of women leave rice behind at revolving sushi train restaurants in Japan4
- A Silent Voice, anime film about bullied deaf girl, has an emotional new trailer【Video】5
- Japanese collector buys one of the most expensive and exclusive life-sized figurines ever made6
- Cute cat fights yearning desire to eat food on table with adorable results【Video】7
- J-pop megastar Utada Hikaru previews new song, hikes Japanese Alps in beautiful videos【Video】8
- Japanese love hotel makes plans to apply for Guinness World Record9
- New Yorkers go crazy for taiyaki fish ice creams10
- Japanese photographer stumbles into “forbidden forest,” finds village of creepy statues【Pics】1
- A Silent Voice, anime film about bullied deaf girl, has an emotional new trailer【Video】2
- Ash is going to look very different in the new Pokémon anime arc【Video】3
- Survey reveals why Japanese players quit Pokémon GO, and it’s likely not for the reason you think4
- The train station that stayed open for a single school girl finally closes down5
- Amazing exhibition of Japan’s legendary “cursed katana” is going on right now【Photos】6
- Worst Kung Fu fight ever breaks out on street in China7
- Nintendo’s been hiding a secret about Pokémon’s Snorlax for 20 years 【Video】8
- Japan’s kimono-style bra and panties bring traditional motif to modern lingerie design【Photos】9
- Canadian YouTuber explains why she quit working on Japanese TV10
- Pokémon Go in Japan: 7 top sightseeing spots where you can catch Pokémon in Tokyo1
- Japanese photographer stumbles into “forbidden forest,” finds village of creepy statues【Pics】2
- Anybody want to live rent-free in a house in a Japanese beach town for two years?3
- How to hatch your Pokémon GO eggs without taking a single step4
- A Silent Voice, anime film about bullied deaf girl, has an emotional new trailer【Video】5
- Ash is going to look very different in the new Pokémon anime arc【Video】6
- Japanese cat who can’t sleep unless it chats with owner melts hearts across the Internet7
- Survey reveals why Japanese players quit Pokémon GO, and it’s likely not for the reason you think8
- One of Japan’s most famous manga artists marries professional cosplayer 31 years younger than him9
- Poké-feels: Sibling visits grave of younger brother who loved Pikachu, gets tear-jerking surprise10
- Japanese horror icon Sadako collaborates with Snickers in yummy commercial!
- The 10 most beautiful places to see the autumn leaves in Japan, as chosen by travelers
- Pokémon Go in Japan: 7 top sightseeing spots where you can catch Pokémon in Tokyo
- Japan’s Awaji Island holds a beauty contest that will leave you in tears
- 12 strange Japanese names for Western sports, from “fighting ball” to “reject ball”
- Tokyo Police Join Forces With Final Fantasy to End Traffic Accidents
- Step into a fairy tale at Japan’s new Beauty and the Beast themed cafe restaurant
- Winter 2016 Cat Punch Gloves from Felissimo come with adorable new details
- Woman kills self jumping onto train tracks, delay causes conductor to jump off tracks at other station
- Increasing number of women leave rice behind at revolving sushi train restaurants in Japan
- Japanese collector buys one of the most expensive and exclusive life-sized figurines ever made
- The 30 most ‘romantic’ lines that women want to hear (well, according to the Japanese internet)
- Catch your lover’s heart with new range of Pokémon bridal jewellery