Norihiko Hibino wants you to take a moment for yourself. Just relax. Let your worries fade. Get lost in his smooth saxophone sounds.
Metal Gear Solid
Kojima: “I want to make something that will have a big enough impact to become a series”.
Dec 16, 2015
He kept us waiting, but the internationally renowned video game director is finally ready to start work on his next project.
Nov 20, 2015
Sniper Wolf figure hits the bullseye where a love of boobs, video games, and dogs overlap.
Nov 11, 2015
A collaboration between video game giant Konami and prostheses expert Sophie De Oliviera Barata aims to give an amputee gamer a new arm inspired by Metal Gear Solid.
It has been announced that Noriyoshi Ohrai—the Japanese illustrator best known for producing remarkable poster art for Metal Gear Solid as well as for films including the Godzilla series and Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back—passed away from pneumonia yesterday morning at the age of 79.
With a career spanning over half a century and an impressive portfolio of artworks for novels, games and well-known international movie releases, fans around the world are mourning the loss of a great talent and taking a look back at his extraordinary body of work.
Oct 27, 2015
You probably remember that incredible Raiden cosplay from this year’s Tokyo Game Show—the one with the moving mask that wowed pretty much everyone on Internet. We were always a bit bummed there wasn’t more to all the videos and photos, but now Masazi, the cosplayer behind the amazing outfit, has released a minute-long video showing off her suit in action!
Sep 23, 2015
Sadly, Tokyo Game Show 2015 is now over, but the buzz created by the event is still tingling in our bellies and in our hearts! Kind of like indigestion, but awesome. We saw and tried a lot of cool stuff, but we couldn’t catch it all, unfortunately. Thankfully, the Internet somehow managed to do just that, including one of the most amazing cosplays we’ve ever seen, hands down.
We’re not sure if anyone can really “win” cosplaying, since everyone wins when you’re having fun, but if there is a champion among all of TGS 2015’s cosplayers, we think it might be this woman’s take on Metal Gear Solid’s Raiden.
By now, the video gaming community is all but painfully aware of the sudden divorce between game director Hideo Kojima and game developer Konami. Solid Snake himself has even tweeted the fact that studio Kojima Productions has been disbanded, the studio logo having been removed from advertisement posters for the upcoming title, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Jul 29, 2015
Last weekend, we headed out to Chiba Prefecture to attend Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and garage kit-building convention. Along with all sorts of inanimate representations of animated characters, we also checked out all of the impressive cosplayers who’d gathered from all over Japan for the event.
We already shared our photos of the female costumers, but we remembered to save some room on our memory card for the guys as well, and so we proudly present the male cosplayers of this year’s Summer Wonder Festival.
May 21, 2015
Our resident oddball writer Mr. Sato loves his coffee, so much so that he finds it impossible to pass by a Starbucks without stopping in for a quick coffee break. The only problem is that he tends to favour “girly” drinks like frappuccinos, and lives in fear of being spotted by friends and acquaintances enjoying one.
The solution? Sneak into Starbucks underneath a cardboard box, Solid Snake-style, and see if the baristas will serve coffee to a cardboard box. Check out our video to see how he did!
May 12, 2015
Recently, anime and video game fans have been sharing pictures online of the shoddily produced figurines that merchandisers have been foisting on them. This isn’t something that happens exclusively with low-profile franchises, either, as mega-hit Attack on Titan dropped the second of two plastic duds just last month.
Given the falling out between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and long-time employer Konami, you might think the famed game designer is taking a similarly apathetic attitude towards the merchandise for his upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Kojima is a pro, though, and not about to let his acrimonious situation with the game’s publisher discourage him from making sure the title and all its related products are of the utmost quality.
That’s right, Metal Gear fans, you can breathe easy, because it’s been confirmed that the figure of the game’s female sniper has soft, squishable breasts.
Apr 2, 2015
For decades, the Metal Gear franchise has been teaching video game players to be patient. In contrast to other games, where the hero can just load up on firepower and go charging in with guns blazing, Metal Gear is all about staying hidden, carefully infiltrating enemy territory, and only striking when the time is right.
Fans have been putting that patience to use as the most popular branch of the franchise, Metal Gear Solid, keeps inching towards its long-discussed live-action film adaptation. The production seems to have finally hit another checkpoint, though, with reports that the movie now has a scriptwriter.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Feb 21, 2015
Korean gamers and netizens are crying tears of joy now that Sony has announced it will be translating some of the most popular Playstation titles into Korean for the first time. This might come as a surprise for many considering the popularity of video games in Japan’s close neighbor, but for years fans of these series were deprived of the ultimate gaming experience in their native tongue. However, that will finally change this summer.
Sep 4, 2014
On display at last month’s Otakon anime convention, this incredible feat of cosplay blurs the line between outfit and scale model, with the wearer requiring a small team to help them put it on.
Jul 30, 2014
We recently made the trip across the Pacific to Comic-Con in San Diego, where we checked out the newest titles from the exhibitors and the costumes made by their fans. Our traveling reporter Yoshio even decided to join in and dress up too.
San Diego wasn’t the only place to see some cool cosplay last weekend, though. Back here in Japan, the summer Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and figure exhibition, was going on, so we headed over to the Makuhari Messe convention center to photograph the amazing costumes.
Good stock photos can be hard to come by sometimes, especially if they’re of niche matters like child soldiers. So when a bustling newsroom intern tracks down a perfect photo of children wielding rifles and sitting on tanks, it’s too good to pass up. Even if the photo looks a little off.
Dec 19, 2012
“Hideo-kun! What do you want in your lunchbox for school tomorrow? Ham and cheese? Peanut butter and jelly? Or how about Solid Snaaaaaaaake!”
The image you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is genuine, 100% completely edible food. We’ve seen colourful character bentō lunchboxes before, but this is something else.
As part of its 25 years of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy celebrations, Japanese game developer Konami has had a set of truly amazing lunchboxes made for a photo event. Featuring characters from both of the long-running series, the lunchboxes are so detailed that they almost look like waxworks. No matter how many times we look at these things, we can’t quite get over the fact that it’s actually food.
- Two Japanese idol singers announced as candidates for international 100 Most Beautiful Faces list1
- Amazingly young-looking Singaporean photographer is 50, but looks less than half his age【Photos】2
- Video accuses Your Name of copying two of its animation sequences from other anime【Video】3
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 most offensive Japanese swear words 【Weird Top Five】4
- Man wants to move out of his home, so takes off all clothes and walks through the neighborhood5
- Why deciding whether or not to help a crying girl is complicated in Japan6
- Boys’ love manga categorized into more than 30 sub-genres at mainstream Tokyo bookstore7
- Nissin to sell rice bowls covered in those little “mystery meat” cubes from Cup Noodle8
- Your Name’s animated storyboards show anime phenomenon like you’ve never seen it before【Video】9
- Japanese high school boy wows netizens with his cute girl-next-door looks10
- Penis peach found, appetites lost in Japan1
- Japanese high school boy wows netizens with his cute girl-next-door looks2
- In Hokkaido there’s weed, weed everywhere, but not a drop to smoke3
- A century’s worth of Japanese beauty trends, from silver screen chic to puffy-eyed catharsis4
- Celebrity cosplayer tests Japan’s new breast-enhancing optical illusion T-shirt【Video】5
- Take a tour of Okinawa’s longest running movie theater: this creepy adult cinema6
- Legendary crescent moon katana, one of Japan’s Five Swords Under Heaven, now on display in Tokyo7
- We investigate a Japanese military base convenience store – no need to enlist!8
- Hawaiian photographer uses own dog in Princess Mononoke cosplay for an overdose of cute 【Pics】9
- Sticking cheeseburgers through soft drink straws now a thing on Japanese Instagram 【Pics】10
- Nintendo says there are no game overs, EVER, in upcoming Super Mario Odyssey1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Malaysian man pays over US$46,000 to look like Final Fantasy’s Squall Leonhart【Photos】3
- American woman arrested after throwing away massive supply of bullets in Tokyo airport trash can4
- Penis peach found, appetites lost in Japan5
- Chun-Li cosplay cold shoulders inspire crazy Photoshop “fixes,” help spread love between rivals6
- Japanese high school boy wows netizens with his cute girl-next-door looks7
- In Hokkaido there’s weed, weed everywhere, but not a drop to smoke8
- Legendary “Ghost Sushi” is back for a very limited time9
- Legendary crescent moon katana, one of Japan’s Five Swords Under Heaven, now on display in Tokyo10
- Blind Japanese boy sends Nintendo heartwarming thank you letter, gets amazing response1
- Japanese women’s breasts continue to grow, reach historic tipping point in lingerie maker’s study2
- Nintendo says there are no game overs, EVER, in upcoming Super Mario Odyssey3
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads4
- Seemingly cute cat in downtown Tokyo might desperately need help, plus a new owner5
- Kiki’s back! Famous Studio Ghibli anime witch returns in jaw-dropping short animation【Video】6
- Permanent Japanese residency to be possible for foreigners with anime-related jobs after one year7
- Hi-Chew candies get revamped into ice cream sweet treats just in time for summer8
- Japanese man’s wife keeps finding his porn stashes, sending him anime illustrations in response9
- Suspected jewelry thief captured in Japan in comically slow-speed foot pursuit by police【Video】10
- Why deciding whether or not to help a crying girl is complicated in Japan
- Boys’ love manga categorized into more than 30 sub-genres at mainstream Tokyo bookstore
- Nissin to sell rice bowls covered in those little “mystery meat” cubes from Cup Noodle
- Your Name’s animated storyboards show anime phenomenon like you’ve never seen it before【Video】
- Japanese high school boy wows netizens with his cute girl-next-door looks
- A century’s worth of Japanese beauty trends, from silver screen chic to puffy-eyed catharsis
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Anime Your Name’s home video release announced, has English subtitles and is region-free
- Why does Japanese writing need three different sets of characters? (Part 1)
- Take it From a Native! Recipe for Delicious Japanese Curry as Found at Coco Ichiban
- KFC Japan to open new specialty take-out store in Sendai with wholesome deli food!
- Tokyo Olympics committee head: Manga parade would be good for opening ceremonies, but not kabuki