Sniper Wolf figure hits the bullseye where a love of boobs, video games, and dogs overlap.
Metal Gear Solid
Nov 11, 2015
A collaboration between video game giant Konami and prostheses expert Sophie De Oliviera Barata aims to give an amputee gamer a new arm inspired by Metal Gear Solid.
It has been announced that Noriyoshi Ohrai—the Japanese illustrator best known for producing remarkable poster art for Metal Gear Solid as well as for films including the Godzilla series and Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back—passed away from pneumonia yesterday morning at the age of 79.
With a career spanning over half a century and an impressive portfolio of artworks for novels, games and well-known international movie releases, fans around the world are mourning the loss of a great talent and taking a look back at his extraordinary body of work.
Oct 27, 2015
You probably remember that incredible Raiden cosplay from this year’s Tokyo Game Show—the one with the moving mask that wowed pretty much everyone on Internet. We were always a bit bummed there wasn’t more to all the videos and photos, but now Masazi, the cosplayer behind the amazing outfit, has released a minute-long video showing off her suit in action!
Sep 23, 2015
Sadly, Tokyo Game Show 2015 is now over, but the buzz created by the event is still tingling in our bellies and in our hearts! Kind of like indigestion, but awesome. We saw and tried a lot of cool stuff, but we couldn’t catch it all, unfortunately. Thankfully, the Internet somehow managed to do just that, including one of the most amazing cosplays we’ve ever seen, hands down.
We’re not sure if anyone can really “win” cosplaying, since everyone wins when you’re having fun, but if there is a champion among all of TGS 2015’s cosplayers, we think it might be this woman’s take on Metal Gear Solid’s Raiden.
By now, the video gaming community is all but painfully aware of the sudden divorce between game director Hideo Kojima and game developer Konami. Solid Snake himself has even tweeted the fact that studio Kojima Productions has been disbanded, the studio logo having been removed from advertisement posters for the upcoming title, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Jul 29, 2015
Last weekend, we headed out to Chiba Prefecture to attend Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and garage kit-building convention. Along with all sorts of inanimate representations of animated characters, we also checked out all of the impressive cosplayers who’d gathered from all over Japan for the event.
We already shared our photos of the female costumers, but we remembered to save some room on our memory card for the guys as well, and so we proudly present the male cosplayers of this year’s Summer Wonder Festival.
May 21, 2015
Our resident oddball writer Mr. Sato loves his coffee, so much so that he finds it impossible to pass by a Starbucks without stopping in for a quick coffee break. The only problem is that he tends to favour “girly” drinks like frappuccinos, and lives in fear of being spotted by friends and acquaintances enjoying one.
The solution? Sneak into Starbucks underneath a cardboard box, Solid Snake-style, and see if the baristas will serve coffee to a cardboard box. Check out our video to see how he did!
May 12, 2015
Recently, anime and video game fans have been sharing pictures online of the shoddily produced figurines that merchandisers have been foisting on them. This isn’t something that happens exclusively with low-profile franchises, either, as mega-hit Attack on Titan dropped the second of two plastic duds just last month.
Given the falling out between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and long-time employer Konami, you might think the famed game designer is taking a similarly apathetic attitude towards the merchandise for his upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Kojima is a pro, though, and not about to let his acrimonious situation with the game’s publisher discourage him from making sure the title and all its related products are of the utmost quality.
That’s right, Metal Gear fans, you can breathe easy, because it’s been confirmed that the figure of the game’s female sniper has soft, squishable breasts.
Apr 2, 2015
For decades, the Metal Gear franchise has been teaching video game players to be patient. In contrast to other games, where the hero can just load up on firepower and go charging in with guns blazing, Metal Gear is all about staying hidden, carefully infiltrating enemy territory, and only striking when the time is right.
Fans have been putting that patience to use as the most popular branch of the franchise, Metal Gear Solid, keeps inching towards its long-discussed live-action film adaptation. The production seems to have finally hit another checkpoint, though, with reports that the movie now has a scriptwriter.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Feb 21, 2015
Korean gamers and netizens are crying tears of joy now that Sony has announced it will be translating some of the most popular Playstation titles into Korean for the first time. This might come as a surprise for many considering the popularity of video games in Japan’s close neighbor, but for years fans of these series were deprived of the ultimate gaming experience in their native tongue. However, that will finally change this summer.
Sep 4, 2014
On display at last month’s Otakon anime convention, this incredible feat of cosplay blurs the line between outfit and scale model, with the wearer requiring a small team to help them put it on.
Jul 30, 2014
We recently made the trip across the Pacific to Comic-Con in San Diego, where we checked out the newest titles from the exhibitors and the costumes made by their fans. Our traveling reporter Yoshio even decided to join in and dress up too.
San Diego wasn’t the only place to see some cool cosplay last weekend, though. Back here in Japan, the summer Wonder Festival, the world’s largest model and figure exhibition, was going on, so we headed over to the Makuhari Messe convention center to photograph the amazing costumes.
Good stock photos can be hard to come by sometimes, especially if they’re of niche matters like child soldiers. So when a bustling newsroom intern tracks down a perfect photo of children wielding rifles and sitting on tanks, it’s too good to pass up. Even if the photo looks a little off.
Dec 19, 2012
“Hideo-kun! What do you want in your lunchbox for school tomorrow? Ham and cheese? Peanut butter and jelly? Or how about Solid Snaaaaaaaake!”
The image you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is genuine, 100% completely edible food. We’ve seen colourful character bentō lunchboxes before, but this is something else.
As part of its 25 years of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy celebrations, Japanese game developer Konami has had a set of truly amazing lunchboxes made for a photo event. Featuring characters from both of the long-running series, the lunchboxes are so detailed that they almost look like waxworks. No matter how many times we look at these things, we can’t quite get over the fact that it’s actually food.
- Japanese fashion company’s modernized haori half coats will keep you warm and samurai chic1
- Runaway girl returns to family after ten years of living in Internet cafes2
- Innocent child’s reaction to seeing the bawling politician fills us with “d’aww’s”3
- Did this man really capture the lucky child ghost Zashikiwarashi on video?4
- “Get off the bus.” Driver teaches prankster kid an important lesson5
- Thai family throws extravagant wedding for their three-year-old twins【Video】6
- Man doesn’t want to waste money on software, creates brilliant illustrations on Excel instead7
- RocketNews24’s six top tips for learning Japanese8
- New Attack on Titan game announces release month, continues to look really amazing 【Video】9
- Bizarre souvenir turns Frozen’s Elsa into a glowing, techno top, and Japanese commenters love it10
- Boob-centric Dead or Alive volleyball video game not coming to U.S. or Europe due to “issues”1
- McDonald’s offering massive 48-McNuggest bucket in Japan, but true idol fans need to eat 1,2002
- Japanese adult site will donate to AIDS charity—if you can resist looking at their breasts3
- Man doesn’t want to waste money on software, creates brilliant illustrations on Excel instead4
- Japanese fashion company’s modernized haori half coats will keep you warm and samurai chic5
- History’s worst job? Japanese noblewomen used to hire servants to take the blame for their farts6
- Yo-kai watch what the western Yo-kai Watch doesn’t want you to yo-kai watch7
- Feeling cold at night? Tokyo company will dispatch a hot guy to your place for a chaste sleepover8
- Sixth grade homeroom teacher in trouble for explaining to students that “naked women = money”9
- Japan Misunderstood: 3 stereotypes that live on10
- Easy-Bake Oven, meet your match — The Easy-Make Ramen that’s, thankfully, not just for kids!1
- Are these normal Japanese things weird to you? 10 things that might surprise you when you visit Japan2
- Bandai to release life-like posable plastic figures to help you draw “realistic” epic poses3
- The internet’s latest culinary masterpiece: Cup Noodle Steamed Egg【Taste Test】4
- Six types of Japanese people you’ll meet while living in Japan — An illustrated guide5
- Kentucky Fried Chicken set to open all-you-can eat buffet restaurant in Japan6
- Japan now has anime girls with boobs so big they literally can’t stand up7
- Anime romance isn’t like reality. Why? Biometrics8
- Shangrila, a maid cafe staffed exclusively by cute “plump” girls, opens in Akihabara【Pics】9
- Galaxy in a bauble: Japanese artist creates spacescape pendants from glass, opals, and gold10
- 7 incredible Japanese destinations that tourists haven’t discovered yet1
- Hardcore gamer refuses to let game save die, leaves his Super NES on for almost two decades2
- It must be love: Korean couple make dramatic body transformations in just five months3
- Five types of foreigner you’ll meet in Japan4
- Easy-Bake Oven, meet your match — The Easy-Make Ramen that’s, thankfully, not just for kids!5
- Are these normal Japanese things weird to you? 10 things that might surprise you when you visit Japan6
- Bandai to release life-like posable plastic figures to help you draw “realistic” epic poses7
- Foreign worker in Japan fends off armed robber with single word, gets no respect from local media8
- Cosplay ideals vs. reality-Part 3: Super Slouch Edition 【Photos】9
- Step aside, fortune cookies! Here come fortune cat rice crackers from Japan!10
- Thai family throws extravagant wedding for their three-year-old twins【Video】
- Man doesn’t want to waste money on software, creates brilliant illustrations on Excel instead
- RocketNews24’s six top tips for learning Japanese
- New Attack on Titan game announces release month, continues to look really amazing 【Video】
- Bizarre souvenir turns Frozen’s Elsa into a glowing, techno top, and Japanese commenters love it
- AI Samurai: The artificially intelligent, armored samurai that will answer all your questions
- Madoka Magica short film hints at the possibility of all-new material
- Celebrating Bruce Lee’s 75th birthday with a Hong Kong pilgrimage
- Anime’s One-Punch Man is punching his way through Bethesda’s Fallout 4
- Renting a hot guy to make you cry and dry your tears? We try Tokyo’s newest cathartic service
- Take a look at these gorgeous goldfish… created by a Japanese artist!【Pics & Videos】
- Ghibli fans express their thanks to Miyazaki with six-second Vine masterpieces
- Japanese adult site will donate to AIDS charity—if you can resist looking at their breasts