Look down any crowded train carriage or busy street in Japan and you’re guaranteed to find the majority of people with their heads bent over their mobile phones or other electronic devices. And while there’s no end of anthropologists twittering on about the damage all this constant stimulus is doing to the youth of today, there’s also a very physical risk that can come with cell phone addiction.
- Master Blaster
Jun 2, 2013
A particular tunnel in Guizhou, China has been drawing attention for its unique ability to literally turn back the clock. According to reports, when one drives through the 400 meter tunnel there is a substantial chance that their clocks will go back exactly one hour.
Under Its au Brand, Japanese Cellular Service Provider KDDI Unveils World’s Largest and Highest Resolution Smartphone
- John Stuart Translations
Apr 1, 2013
When he realized he’d primarily been using his smartphone in bed, Nemool Smith, an au product designer and chief hardware architect, wanted a more comfortable and rewarding user experience. Coming up blank in an online search for solutions, Nemool got an idea and decided to approach his bosses at KDDI and get their permission to design a radically new hardware platform he was sure would revolutionize the way people used their phones. The result has set the tech world abuzz, and has the potential to vault KDDI to the top of the global smartphone market.
Introducing the new au zzzPhoneBed by KDDI
- Philip Kendall
Mar 26, 2013
There are few things worse for the tech fan of the 21st century than a smartphone running out of juice while out and about. Even newer smartphones start flagging after four or five hours of constant web surfing or video watching, meaning that remembering to pack a charging cable is, for some, almost as vital as the device itself. Thankfully, dozens of electronics makers have responded to this problem by launching pocket-sized mobile batteries that can provide smartphones with a full charge simply by plugging in a cable, keeping users playing games and posting OMFG and LOLZ comments all day long without fear of their gadget falling asleep on them.
We’re not sure that a couple of bags of sand will provide all that much energy, though…
- Philip Kendall
Mar 5, 2013
The world may well be completely besotted with iPhones and Samsung-made Android devices right now, but Sony isn’t prepared to take a back seat and watch its profits and reputation go down the U-bend. In a recent conference, head of Sony Mobile Kunimasa Suzuki pledged to step up and reclaim ground lost in recent years. Rather than making unrealistic promises and declaring out-and-out war on the iPhone, however, the Japanese tech giant is keeping things realistic and is aiming at third place in the world’s mobile market.
Remember way back when Japan was the land of mobile milk and honey. Tales of cell phones with built-it TVs and cameras were the envy of the world. Then Apple stepped in and brought the whole thing crashing down.
Now, as I stand on the train surrounded by people poking at little plastic rectangles I conceal my once luxurious Panasonic P706ie in shame.
To support these once mighty phones, an extensive infrastructure was set up across the country. However, this entire network couldn’t be exported easily and was confined to the islands which made them. They were garapagosu-ka (Galapagos-ized).
- Philip Kendall
Jan 8, 2013
We’re sure that there are plenty of people out there who enjoyed just a smidgen too much alcohol or Christmas pudding over holidays and ended up glued to the toilet as a result. Or, if you’re situated in this writer’s native UK, perhaps you’ve recently become acquainted with the chuckle-fest that is Noro virus as it sweeps through the nation like a modern-day diarrhoea and vomit-sponsored Beatlemania.
Well now you can relive that episode of gastric hell on earth with these cute earphone jack stoppers featuring tiny black and white plastic figures clinging to the toilet for dear life while appealing to the gods to “let it stop, oh please let it stop!”
- Philip Kendall
Dec 20, 2012
I’m sure we’d all like to think that our friends and loved ones smile whenever they see our names pop up on their phones, and that each text message or email appears alongside a cute nickname or something informal and loving. But if you caught sight of your better half’s mobile phone screen while you were calling them and “Stinky Soy Beans” popped up, you might not be too pleased.
Over at My Navi News Q&A — a service not unlike Yahoo! Answers which, as we saw yesterday, can yield some pretty interesting responses of its own — a 26-year-old woman in Japan shared her worries after discovering that her boyfriend had entered her name on his smartphone as “nattō: GM Free”, fermented soybeans renown and hated by many for their strong smell and extremely gooey texture.
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films1
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts2
- Titans attack Lawson convenience stores, bring tons of anime goodies with them3
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】4
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】5
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture6
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan7
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?8
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker9
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar9
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn
- Are you a solo dining expert? Rank yourself with this Korean “lone diner guide”!
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- How to make your own Pikachu Burgers!【RocketKitchen】
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today