With a new school year comes new students, new possibilities, and a new round of beauty competitions.
“Wait,” you’re asking, “Beauty competitions? Shouldn’t that be ‘roommates’ or ‘textbooks’ or ‘professors?'” And, yes, those are just a few of the new experiences that come with starting college, but thanks to New Face Grand Prix, new Japanese female college students can also “compete” to be the cutest freshman in Japan.
- Philip Kendall
Mar 27, 2014
As we have come to learn over the years, Japan really loves its capsule toys and mobile phone accessories, and there’s always some cute new bit of plastic to attach to your person or use to brighten up your electronic devices. But for fans of the original Capcom fighter Street Fighter II (which is everyone, surely!?) we have some extra good news today.
A new series of models, showing the world warriors not in their typically magnificent fighting poses but on their knees and with their noses touching the ground, begging for forgiveness, is due to be released later this year.
While you might think that the world only needs one real Barbie, it turns out that–whether needed or not–there’s already another one! However, unlike the Russian/Ukrainian version, this “Real Barbie” is a Tokyo-based, Japanese-speaking model for Popteen magazine. And her rise to fame has only just begun!
Mar 2, 2014
Asia is certainly not short of good-looking women, and it seems like every other day that some new model or wannabe pop idol appears online and wins legions of fans. But this week a selection of 10 photos of one university student in Beijing are being pored over by men all over the country, who seemingly can’t get enough of her “bewitching purity and innocence“.
But what do you think?
- Joan Coello
Jan 11, 2014
We’ve seen way too many beautiful guys who look like girls. Hell, some of them even look prettier than real girls. We know some of you are starting to get bored with looking at “traps” all the time, so here, the tables are turned this time! This handsome face belongs to a girl! It’s still some time before April Fool’s Day so you can be assured that we’re not kidding you!
- Philip Kendall
Dec 6, 2013
We’re starting to think there might be something in the water over in China. Just a few days ago, we stumbled upon one of the most stunning actually-I’m-a-guy girls on the internet, and now a new model is stealing hearts all over the country. And yes, once again, this Asian princess is in fact a pretty prince in makeup.
Even so, it would seem that many Chinese netizens are now reaching the point where they’re starting to think, “To heck with it, he’s still gorgeous,” and would be proud to make this young man their wife.
Dear Internet, it’s getting increasingly difficult to believe in the things you show us day by day. These days, we can barely look at online images of cute girls without having to wonder, is she really a girl? We’ve been had by these “traps” one too many times. There’s even a saying trending amongst Korean netizens: “She’s so incredibly cute, she must be a guy“. Well, this effeminate young Chinese man just proved that saying right! More pictures after the jump!
Usually being called a witch is an insult, but a Japanese beauty magazine reclaimed the word a few years ago and declared a new category of woman: “Beautiful Witches.” To celebrate the women over 35 that possess an almost “magical beauty untouched by age,” the fourth annual National Beautiful Witch Contest was held last week, with a 39-year-old housewife from Aichi Prefecture taking home the top prize in a Halloween-themed pageant.
When it comes to replicating human poses and natural movement, artists often look to anatomical models. Traditional figures do have their limitations, though, with the lack of details making it difficult to recreate the lines of a raised shoulder or a clasped fist. But things are set to change, with a new figure on the market called the S.F.B.T-3, (Special Full-action Body Type v.3). Ten years in the making, this girl has 80 moveable parts in her body, allowing for an unprecedented number of poses and anatomical designs. We take a look at the doll’s amazing details and see how it performs in some popular anime poses for the illustrator’s eye.
- Philip Kendall
Oct 3, 2013
We can’t quite put our finger on it, but there’s something a little bit different about one of this year’s Miss Geidai Contest entrants. No, not the blonde girl on the end or the one who looks a bit like Calista Flockhart; the one from Team D. It could be the hair, it could be the raw meat wrapped around her head, but something about this entrant really catches our eye…
- Master Blaster
Sep 24, 2013
The internet in China was lit up recently by photos of a young model showing off her rather meaty upper-arms. Being titled “China’s Most Beautiful Man,” a large number of netizens are declaring Photoshop shenanigans afoot, but all agree that her photos dressed up as Street Fighter mainstay Chun-Li are “kind of hot”.
- Master Blaster
Jul 24, 2013
Who hasn’t wanted their own mecha to get through rush hour, pick up dates, or smite one’s foes? While current technology is slowly getting closer to the real thing, we’re still a ways away from the mobile suits we’ve come to love.
Lucky, one talented artist has uploaded his “easy to make method” of making gundams to YouTube, which uses naught but ordinary household objects. They won’t fly you anywhere or shoot lasers but they do look pretty cool. Let’s check it out.
- Master Blaster
Jul 18, 2013
On 16 July, Asahi Shimbun declared the winner of the 61st Asahi Advertising Award to be the ad seen above. Chosen from 1,200 entries this ad not only perfectly explains the product and how it’s used but also entices the viewer with its finely woven blankets and well painted walls.
- Philip Kendall
Jul 3, 2013
Although it makes us worry that perhaps some people have a little too much time on their hands, we have to admire this Lego creation, which depicts a classic Japanese-style toilet, complete with something left behind by an inconsiderate Lego person.
Honestly, the only things we ever thought we’d find inside Super Mario were copious amounts of barely chewed mushrooms and maybe some ravioli. Upon cutting him open, though, this creative netizen felt that Mario’s insides were severely lacking, so decided to go to work filling him out with a pint-sized skeleton and some vital organs.
It’s nearly impossible to predict what the next big Internet craze will be, though pretty women and cat memes are generally good bets. In a common case of the former, Japanese bloggers have recently latched on to images of Lala, a fashion-forward college student from Taiwan. “She’s just too cute!” Net users cry as they post picture after picture of this refreshing beauty. However, while Japanese reports introduce her as a 17-year-old sweetheart, Chinese news sources inform us that she’s actually 19 years of age. Could it be that her cute factor is all a result of little misconceptions?! Read More
Fans of Studio Ghibli’s work who are unable to make it as far north as the Ghbili Museum in Tokyo will no doubt be excited to hear that the Laguna Gamagori Resort in Aichi Prefecture has announced that it will host a special Ghibli diorama exhibition within its amusement park from now until the beginning of March next year.
Now that was fast!
It was just 10 days ago that we were detailing our adventurous reporter’s trip to the newly opened Omote 3D Shashin Kan photography studio to be scanned and turned into an ultra-detailed model, and we were told that it’d be a month before the finished product arrived. But would you believe it’s already here! In our sweaty little hands!
And the result is spectacular.
- Philip Kendall
Dec 3, 2012
Just a few weeks ago, this writer excitedly introduced you to Omote 3D Shashin Kan, the new 3D photography and modelling studio in Tokyo that immortalizes customers as tiny, intricately detailed figurines for just a couple of hundred dollars apiece.
Despite wanting to head down to the fancy new studio myself and decorate my apartment with a collection of mini mes, after much discussion in the office and comments being made like “too handsome” and “they might not have enough plastic to model your nose,” the RocketNews24 crew decided it best to send reporting legend Mr. Sato to do the honours instead.
This is no ordinary photoshoot.
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn1
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today2
- Japanese scientist predicts another major earthquake in Japan by 20173
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis4
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture5
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?6
- Twitter trend of the week – posting cosplay pictures side by side with originals7
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight8
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto9
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race3
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis9
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?
- Twitter trend of the week – posting cosplay pictures side by side with originals
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】
- Titans attack Lawson convenience stores, bring tons of anime goodies with them
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- Sumida River Fireworks Festival aftermath: Not everyone in Japan has perfect manners after all
- Are you a solo dining expert? Rank yourself with this Korean “lone diner guide”!
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】
- Not getting enough attention with your iPhone? Stick a couple of Iwashitas on it
- Get the most out of your visit to Japan with these tourist-only deals 【Ninja Life Skills】