Dear Internet, it’s getting increasingly difficult to believe in the things you show us day by day. These days, we can barely look at online images of cute girls without having to wonder, is she really a girl? We’ve been had by these “traps” one too many times. There’s even a saying trending amongst Korean netizens: “She’s so incredibly cute, she must be a guy“. Well, this effeminate young Chinese man just proved that saying right! More pictures after the jump!
Usually being called a witch is an insult, but a Japanese beauty magazine reclaimed the word a few years ago and declared a new category of woman: “Beautiful Witches.” To celebrate the women over 35 that possess an almost “magical beauty untouched by age,” the fourth annual National Beautiful Witch Contest was held last week, with a 39-year-old housewife from Aichi Prefecture taking home the top prize in a Halloween-themed pageant.
When it comes to replicating human poses and natural movement, artists often look to anatomical models. Traditional figures do have their limitations, though, with the lack of details making it difficult to recreate the lines of a raised shoulder or a clasped fist. But things are set to change, with a new figure on the market called the S.F.B.T-3, (Special Full-action Body Type v.3). Ten years in the making, this girl has 80 moveable parts in her body, allowing for an unprecedented number of poses and anatomical designs. We take a look at the doll’s amazing details and see how it performs in some popular anime poses for the illustrator’s eye.
We can’t quite put our finger on it, but there’s something a little bit different about one of this year’s Miss Geidai Contest entrants. No, not the blonde girl on the end or the one who looks a bit like Calista Flockhart; the one from Team D. It could be the hair, it could be the raw meat wrapped around her head, but something about this entrant really catches our eye…
The internet in China was lit up recently by photos of a young model showing off her rather meaty upper-arms. Being titled “China’s Most Beautiful Man,” a large number of netizens are declaring Photoshop shenanigans afoot, but all agree that her photos dressed up as Street Fighter mainstay Chun-Li are “kind of hot”.
Who hasn’t wanted their own mecha to get through rush hour, pick up dates, or smite one’s foes? While current technology is slowly getting closer to the real thing, we’re still a ways away from the mobile suits we’ve come to love.
Lucky, one talented artist has uploaded his “easy to make method” of making gundams to YouTube, which uses naught but ordinary household objects. They won’t fly you anywhere or shoot lasers but they do look pretty cool. Let’s check it out.
On 16 July, Asahi Shimbun declared the winner of the 61st Asahi Advertising Award to be the ad seen above. Chosen from 1,200 entries this ad not only perfectly explains the product and how it’s used but also entices the viewer with its finely woven blankets and well painted walls.
Although it makes us worry that perhaps some people have a little too much time on their hands, we have to admire this Lego creation, which depicts a classic Japanese-style toilet, complete with something left behind by an inconsiderate Lego person.
Honestly, the only things we ever thought we’d find inside Super Mario were copious amounts of barely chewed mushrooms and maybe some ravioli. Upon cutting him open, though, this creative netizen felt that Mario’s insides were severely lacking, so decided to go to work filling him out with a pint-sized skeleton and some vital organs.
It’s nearly impossible to predict what the next big Internet craze will be, though pretty women and cat memes are generally good bets. In a common case of the former, Japanese bloggers have recently latched on to images of Lala, a fashion-forward college student from Taiwan. “She’s just too cute!” Net users cry as they post picture after picture of this refreshing beauty. However, while Japanese reports introduce her as a 17-year-old sweetheart, Chinese news sources inform us that she’s actually 19 years of age. Could it be that her cute factor is all a result of little misconceptions?! Read More
Fans of Studio Ghibli’s work who are unable to make it as far north as the Ghbili Museum in Tokyo will no doubt be excited to hear that the Laguna Gamagori Resort in Aichi Prefecture has announced that it will host a special Ghibli diorama exhibition within its amusement park from now until the beginning of March next year.
Now that was fast!
It was just 10 days ago that we were detailing our adventurous reporter’s trip to the newly opened Omote 3D Shashin Kan photography studio to be scanned and turned into an ultra-detailed model, and we were told that it’d be a month before the finished product arrived. But would you believe it’s already here! In our sweaty little hands!
And the result is spectacular.
Just a few weeks ago, this writer excitedly introduced you to Omote 3D Shashin Kan, the new 3D photography and modelling studio in Tokyo that immortalizes customers as tiny, intricately detailed figurines for just a couple of hundred dollars apiece.
Despite wanting to head down to the fancy new studio myself and decorate my apartment with a collection of mini mes, after much discussion in the office and comments being made like “too handsome” and “they might not have enough plastic to model your nose,” the RocketNews24 crew decided it best to send reporting legend Mr. Sato to do the honours instead.
This is no ordinary photoshoot.
If there’s one thing Japanese people like to do it’s collect things. And when those things are small, cute or quirky characters, you can bet your bottom dollar that they’ll fight to get the entire set!
In the land of gachapon (onomatopoeia for the sound of a turning mechanism followed by the drop of a ball or capsule) capsule toys and free collectable figures, mobile phone charms and stickers, confectioners Furuta are well known for their Choko Eggu (choco egg) series that include a collectable toy inside the chocolate shell, not unlike Kinder Surprise eggs sold in Europe and Canada.
Since 1999, the company has produced collectible figures including Disney, Marvel and Nintendo characters as well as scale models of automobiles and cars. The figures are always of incredibly high quality and, with the chocolate eggs being sold for just a few hundred yen each, they’re a big hit with children as well as adults. In 2006, however, the company’s animal figure series, which features everything from cute rabbits to ferocious-looking dinosaurs disappeared from shops, much to the disappointment of collectors.
But now, to delight model fans and kleptomaniacs alike, Furuta’s figures are being brought back to the market as stand-alone models, and Japanese collectors are already going nuts.
What could be better than seeing a cute girl dressing as a member of AKB48 and dancing around in a uniform? A cute girl dressing as an AKB48 member firing military-grade weapons, apparently.
The following video and images come from Hyper Douraku, a Japanese gun enthusiast website that has teamed up with otaku favourite and “image” DVD (footage of girls in skimpy outfits in various poses) star Mii Aihara.
Dressed in a variety of hugely impractical outfits from AKB48 to Resident Evil‘s Jill Valentine, Mii heads down to the firing range to squeeze off a few rounds as part of the website’s “Guam Shooting Tour 2012.”
Why? We have no idea. But we still found ourselves watching bizarre video after bizarre video on the site.
Netizens in China have been going wild for the most sensational model to ever hit the scene, 72 year-old Ping Liu Qian. Since his breakout in the fashion industry his slender frame has held a wide range of women’s clothing styles with a grace and elegance rarely seen in the profession.
Ever since I saw Han Solo get encased in carbonite in The Empire Strikes Back, I’ve always wondered what it would be like to have a plastic mould of my friends and family, albeit without sealing them inside the stuff…
Thanks to a little company in Japan called Omote 3D Shashin Kan, though, my dream may be about to become a reality!
Using both 3-D scanning and 3-D printing technology, the ingenious company has made it possible to turn yourself or those you love into a tiny, ultra-detailed figure, with three sizes to choose from.
You’ll have to excuse me if I’m jumping the gun slightly when I say this, but this is clearly the best thing ever!
Remember the old saying “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”? Well after you take a look at some of these incredible hand-made sculptures, made entirely from old beers cans, cartons and containers, you might well be reaching for your credit card and heading over to eBay…
Over at Hamster Sokuhou, a thread has exploded with comments of praise and amazement for photos of aluminium can sculptures, produced by one Japanese internet user going by the name of “Makaon”, featuring everything from birds to Ultra Man and Pikachu.
Whoever this Makaon person is, she is very, very talented…
The model pictured here has appeared in numerous catwalk shows, including some for top designers like Jean-Paul Gaultier and Marc Jacobs; ranked number 18 on models.com’s Top 50; and was also ranked 98th in FHM’s 100 Sexiest Women in the World for 2011.
Normally we at RocketNews24 don’t display topless pictures in an effort to be all inclusive in our hard hitting reporting. But for a new model of this caliber, we just have to throw half our readership a bone.
- Life imitating art (badly): If only they’d tried harder… 【Photos】1
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- This Thai ad for popular chat application “Line” will break your heart 【Video】4
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】5
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong6
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer7
- One couple, two beds – Why do so many Japanese spouses sleep separately?8
- The true meaning of Japanese Christmas9
- Finally, 2013′s list of most dateable anime characters10
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】1
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer2
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected3
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato4
- Gundam creator has harsh words for manga and anime hit “Attack on Titan”5
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】6
- Seven things that surprise Japanese people working in foreign offices7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- The top 10 baby names in Japan 20139
- Cosplay Undressed: Japan’s Newest Cosplay Trend Shows How Heroes Take Off Their Clothes10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】2
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong3
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs4
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!5
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right6
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!7
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】8
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force9
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer
- One couple, two beds – Why do so many Japanese spouses sleep separately?
- The true meaning of Japanese Christmas
- Finally, 2013′s list of most dateable anime characters
- Keep your tea warm with Thermos ala Japanese style!
- The Question Dividing Japan: Which Girl Would You Rather Date?
- “Once-in-a-thousand-year” idol Kanna Hashimoto visiting ALOOK Tokyo and Osaka on the same day
- 【Thursday Throwback】Best Japanese customer service
- Research institute explains technobabble with awesome retro anime 【Video】
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!
- Film critic proposes censoring latest Studio Ghibli anime for overseas release