It’s nearly impossible to predict what the next big Internet craze will be, though pretty women and cat memes are generally good bets. In a common case of the former, Japanese bloggers have recently latched on to images of Lala, a fashion-forward college student from Taiwan. “She’s just too cute!” Net users cry as they post picture after picture of this refreshing beauty. However, while Japanese reports introduce her as a 17-year-old sweetheart, Chinese news sources inform us that she’s actually 19 years of age. Could it be that her cute factor is all a result of little misconceptions?! Read More
Fans of Studio Ghibli’s work who are unable to make it as far north as the Ghbili Museum in Tokyo will no doubt be excited to hear that the Laguna Gamagori Resort in Aichi Prefecture has announced that it will host a special Ghibli diorama exhibition within its amusement park from now until the beginning of March next year.
On December 17, Japanese model Mitsu Dan (壇蜜) appeared at the Hotel Ibis in Roppongi, Tokyo to promote the DVD and Blu-Ray release of the 2012 American action film “Safe House”, known as “Dangerous Run” in Japan.
After taking the stage wearing nothing but black boots, a narrow tube-top bra, and a mini skirt pulled down to reveal a skimpy black thong, Dan proceeded to “promote” the movie by rubbing lead actors Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds all over her breasts and crotch.
We mean the box art image, of course.
Now that was fast!
It was just 10 days ago that we were detailing our adventurous reporter’s trip to the newly opened Omote 3D Shashin Kan photography studio to be scanned and turned into an ultra-detailed model, and we were told that it’d be a month before the finished product arrived. But would you believe it’s already here! In our sweaty little hands!
And the result is spectacular.
Just a few weeks ago, this writer excitedly introduced you to Omote 3D Shashin Kan, the new 3D photography and modelling studio in Tokyo that immortalizes customers as tiny, intricately detailed figurines for just a couple of hundred dollars apiece.
Despite wanting to head down to the fancy new studio myself and decorate my apartment with a collection of mini mes, after much discussion in the office and comments being made like “too handsome” and “they might not have enough plastic to model your nose,” the RocketNews24 crew decided it best to send reporting legend Mr. Sato to do the honours instead.
This is no ordinary photoshoot.
If there’s one thing Japanese people like to do it’s collect things. And when those things are small, cute or quirky characters, you can bet your bottom dollar that they’ll fight to get the entire set!
In the land of gachapon (onomatopoeia for the sound of a turning mechanism followed by the drop of a ball or capsule) capsule toys and free collectable figures, mobile phone charms and stickers, confectioners Furuta are well known for their Choko Eggu (choco egg) series that include a collectable toy inside the chocolate shell, not unlike Kinder Surprise eggs sold in Europe and Canada.
Since 1999, the company has produced collectible figures including Disney, Marvel and Nintendo characters as well as scale models of automobiles and cars. The figures are always of incredibly high quality and, with the chocolate eggs being sold for just a few hundred yen each, they’re a big hit with children as well as adults. In 2006, however, the company’s animal figure series, which features everything from cute rabbits to ferocious-looking dinosaurs disappeared from shops, much to the disappointment of collectors.
But now, to delight model fans and kleptomaniacs alike, Furuta’s figures are being brought back to the market as stand-alone models, and Japanese collectors are already going nuts.
Fashion models who appear on online shopping sites get a lot less attention than their counterparts on the runway and in print. Industry and magazine models are chosen to represent well-known brands; there’s a sense of distinction to be had in saying you were on the cover of Vogue and walked the runway for Gucci, and you can pose confidently knowing that eyes go to you first and the product second.
Models on online shops, however, are seen by designers as nothing more than fleshy mannequins, employed to make their clothes look good.
But no longer! Now there is a Japanese website that shines the spotlight on internet retail fashion models, proving to the world that they’re more than just another pretty .jpeg!
What could be better than seeing a cute girl dressing as a member of AKB48 and dancing around in a uniform? A cute girl dressing as an AKB48 member firing military-grade weapons, apparently.
The following video and images come from Hyper Douraku, a Japanese gun enthusiast website that has teamed up with otaku favourite and “image” DVD (footage of girls in skimpy outfits in various poses) star Mii Aihara.
Dressed in a variety of hugely impractical outfits from AKB48 to Resident Evil‘s Jill Valentine, Mii heads down to the firing range to squeeze off a few rounds as part of the website’s “Guam Shooting Tour 2012.”
Why? We have no idea. But we still found ourselves watching bizarre video after bizarre video on the site.
Netizens in China have been going wild for the most sensational model to ever hit the scene, 72 year-old Ping Liu Qian. Since his breakout in the fashion industry his slender frame has held a wide range of women’s clothing styles with a grace and elegance rarely seen in the profession.
Ever since I saw Han Solo get encased in carbonite in The Empire Strikes Back, I’ve always wondered what it would be like to have a plastic mould of my friends and family, albeit without sealing them inside the stuff…
Thanks to a little company in Japan called Omote 3D Shashin Kan, though, my dream may be about to become a reality!
Using both 3-D scanning and 3-D printing technology, the ingenious company has made it possible to turn yourself or those you love into a tiny, ultra-detailed figure, with three sizes to choose from.
You’ll have to excuse me if I’m jumping the gun slightly when I say this, but this is clearly the best thing ever!
The happiest day of my life is when I was chosen the hottest guy in my World of Warcraft guild, but that was only five guys and two of them were allergic to sunlight.
So I can only imagine how thrilled Xin Yuan Zhang must be as she is currently the number one hot girl in China, a country of 1.3 billion people. It’s important to note that she didn’t earn this honor by going through China’s impeccable beauty pageant circuit. She earned her notoriety through the people of the internet, making her truly the People’s Hottie of China.
Remember the old saying “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”? Well after you take a look at some of these incredible hand-made sculptures, made entirely from old beers cans, cartons and containers, you might well be reaching for your credit card and heading over to eBay…
Over at Hamster Sokuhou, a thread has exploded with comments of praise and amazement for photos of aluminium can sculptures, produced by one Japanese internet user going by the name of “Makaon”, featuring everything from birds to Ultra Man and Pikachu.
Whoever this Makaon person is, she is very, very talented…
Some of you may remember/ have been unable to scrub from the delicate walls of your memory the image of Dina Leopard, the Chinese model who became internet famous for rockin’ the alien diva look with her disproportionatly large eyes and small, pointy chin.
We were reminded of Dina and her chin the other day while snacking on a bag of Bugles and decided to check her blog on Sina Weibo to see if she’s still keepin it extraterestrial.
Turns out she is and oh boy do we have some photos to share with you.
When making viral cooking videos on the internet, white girls get drunk, and Asian girls put on low-cut tanktops and casually bend forward at every opportunity they get. But who could blame them? They look good doing it and, most importantly, their audience loves it.
Just take 19-year-old Taiwanese model Cheng Chia-chen, who jumped to internet stardom after appearing in a video teaching people how to make fried chicken.
No, really. That’s all.
When Chinese model Li Ling (李玲) took the stage at this year’s China Joy gaming expo in Shanghai, photographers didn’t quite know where to point the camera. Sure, from the waist up, she looked great cosplaying as a busty, scantily-clad Athena from the Saint Seiya anime/manga franchise.
The problem is that her outfit stopped from the waist the up, providing attendees with a gracious glimpse of her see-through lace panties. (Some of the photos below are NSFW)
The model pictured here has appeared in numerous catwalk shows, including some for top designers like Jean-Paul Gaultier and Marc Jacobs; ranked number 18 on models.com’s Top 50; and was also ranked 98th in FHM’s 100 Sexiest Women in the World for 2011.
Normally we at RocketNews24 don’t display topless pictures in an effort to be all inclusive in our hard hitting reporting. But for a new model of this caliber, we just have to throw half our readership a bone.
- Japanese mom shows daughter how it’s done with awesome old-school gaming notebook
- The future is up: The next ‘world’s-tallest-building’
- 80-year-old Japanese man conquers Everest, 81-year-old Nepalese rival hot on his heels
- We devour a mountain of ramen (toppings)
- Can you understand me now, Google Glass? A Japanese perspective
- Death by stereo: Japanese electronics chain found boasting deals on death through Yahoo! search
- Xbox Live hacked? Rumours flood the internet after ominous tweet left by hacker 【Updated】
- We devour a mountain of ramen (toppings)1
- Can you understand me now, Google Glass? A Japanese perspective2
- Japanese iPad artist is the Leonardo da Vinci of digital finger paints 【Video】3
- Xbox Live hacked? Rumours flood the internet after ominous tweet left by hacker 【Updated】4
- Take a Ride on the Zoo Train Where the Seats Stare Back5
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls Part 3: This Time It’s Personal1
- China’s Photoshop Experts Will Fix Your Bad Photos, But Be Careful What You Wish For2
- Fashion Friends: Twitter Proves Almost Every Japanese College Student Wears the Same Exact Outfit3
- Chinese Photoshop Trolling Part 2: Now with 20% More Shirtless Men!4
- Take a Ride on the Zoo Train Where the Seats Stare Back5
- Disney Villains Clean Up Well, Wow Japan1
- Real-Life Barbie Gives Her Friends and Family a Makeover, Turns Them into Dolls2
- Crime of Passion: Three Men Forcibly Deported from Saudi Arabia for Being “Too Handsome”3
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls Part 3: This Time It’s Personal4
- Oozing up From Below, Mysterious Marshmallow-like Substance Covers Nanjing Street5
- We Made Coca-Cola Transparent and Colorless. It Tastes Like…1
- Peenzilla Worship! Japan’s Kanamara Festival Coming Up this April!2
- Chinese Woman on Trial for Killing Man by Squeezing His Scrotum3
- Chinese Student’s Bicycle Seat Breaks and… Gyah!4
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】5
- The future is up: The next ‘world’s-tallest-building’
- Cute sleepy animals captivate Japan, teach us some new vocabulary at the same time!【GIF Gallery】
- Chinese Photoshop Trolling Part 2: Now with 20% More Shirtless Men!
- Fashion Friends: Twitter Proves Almost Every Japanese College Student Wears the Same Exact Outfit
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls Part 3: This Time It’s Personal
- Freeze the funk out of your shoes this summer
- China’s Photoshop Experts Will Fix Your Bad Photos, But Be Careful What You Wish For
- Ukraine’s Anime Girl and Real Barbie Meet Face to Eerie Face!
- One of the Mushroom Kingdom’s most iconic characters has a dark, dark secret
- Japanese men have spoken: they don’t like your nail art