Danny Choo, founder of Culture Japan and inexhaustible ambassador for all things moe, announced the collaboration between his mascot Mirai Suenaga and the Thai airline Asian Air on his website this week. Read on to find out just how far their plans for anime-themed air domination go.
If any Hatsune Miku fans find themselves in China’s Guangxi Province, they might want to stop by the city of Yulin for an unexpected surprise, because it’s in this city that the Vocaloid singing sensation has gotten a fast food restaurant dedicated to her, though likely not in any official capacity.
Though Japan is well known for its abundance of large-eyed anime girls and unique otaku culture, the country is also world-renowned for its technology sector. One of Japan’s most active technology organizations is, of course, JAXA, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, which has sent numerous satellites and probes into the heavens. However, aside from a promotional video released last year, we have to admit that the thought of combining space and anything from otaku culture, like moe maids, never even crossed our minds.
Fortunately, there are people out there a bit more creativity than us! We were recently contacted by a reader who wanted to share his unique figure collection with RocketNews24. While there are many folks around the world who collect maid figures, we’ve never see anyone who could describe their collection with these two little words: “Space maids!
So Japanese dudes dating digital anime girls has been a big thing in the western media lately because “OMG weird Japan!!,” but if there’s one thing the news stories get right it’s that there are a whole lot of “digital girlfriend” apps available for a very specific type of person.
One such app hopes to encourage users to slim down by dieting with their digital girlfriend – the idea being that the more you diet, the more she diets, and the slimmer and more attractive she gets. Never mind that some people don’t actually adhere to those cliched classical standards of beauty and might actually prefer a girlfriend that isn’t horrifically skinny (and may, themselves, not actually want to be horrifically skinny); the developers made a far more glaring error in coding the game to allow players to do the exact opposite of what the game’s title suggests.
- Anime News Network
Jan 14, 2014
Cuteness sells, even if what you’re selling is recruitment for the Japan Self-Defense Force (JSDF) and the National Defense Academy (NDA). Since last July, the JSDF’s Okayama Provincial Cooperation Office has been using three adorable mascot girls to raise awareness for the JSDF. The girls represent each military branch of the forces, sporting the uniforms for each. Momoe Kibi represents the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (Army), Mizuho Seto represents the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (Navy), while Airi Bizen represents the Japan Air Self Defense Force (Air Force). If the design aesthetic looks familiar, it’s because the girls were created by Humikane Shimada, the original character designer behind such military-inspired moe series like Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer.
Gokiburi Kujo Maisuta (Cockroach Control Meister) is a service that helps provide estimates for the removal of terrifying cockroaches in the home. Thousands rely on them to kill off the shiny black terrors in kitchens and bedrooms across the country.
However, the company has apparently felt a pang of guilt recently. They feel that the roaches have done no wrong and are simply trying to exist just like everyone else. And so, the company has created Itsuki Kurohane: the cockroach moe girl to help combat the centuries of vilification unfairly handed down to these creatures.
Over the next month Gokiburi Kujo Maisuta is holding a contest to give away five Itsuki Kurohane hug pillows, but there’s a catch – besides her being a half-roach-half-human thing.
- Philip Kendall
Nov 19, 2013
With Thanksgiving looming over our North American readers and the eatathon that is Christmas not far behind it, the folks at Creative Freaks are clearly worried about our waistlines. Following on from the success of last year’s Nenshou: Burn Your Fat with Me!! and July’s insult-you-until-you’re-slim-’em-up Nenshou for Girls, the developer has just released a true sequel to the fitness app-cum-dating sim, taking a slightly different approach this time around.
If having abs of steel and not breaking into a sweat halfway through your evening meal aren’t incentive enough for you, perhaps dating a moe-style cutie and having her be your personal trainer each day will be enough to get you off your couch and into your running shoes?
If anime culture were a religion, Tokyo’s Akihabara district would be its holiest site. With all the maid cafes, manga shops and cute “moe” cartoon girls plastered everywhere, Akihabara is usually a must for visitors to Japan interested in all things geek. However, Chinese netizens recently argued (on a site that hosts pirated Japanese anime nonetheless) that the geek mecca is actually really boring and Japan is using anime to make other countries think it is cool and beautiful. Sharpen your claws and join us after the jump for more.
Moms are the best, right? No matter how old you get, your mom will still be there to cook you a heartwarming meal and get your clothes clean like no one else can. But sometimes, your mom tries to “help” too much. Like this one who went through the trouble of washing her son’s dirty towels. But even though these towels are little too dirty to be seen in public, this mother decided to hang dry them outside for the neighbors (and Twitter users) to see. Oops!
- Master Blaster
Nov 7, 2013
About a year ago, Microsoft learned the power of moe mascots when their Windows 8 platform sold in record numbers in Japan. This was largely credited with the addition of the Madobe Sisters, Yuu and Ai.
Now they’re hoping lightning will strike twice and jolt some new life into their web browser Internet Explorer. As more and more people have flocked to browsers like Chrome and Firefox over the years, IE looked as though it was heading the way of Netscape thanks to sluggish speeds and compatibility problems.
However, IE’s newest mascot, Inori Aizawa promises and end to these design flaws along with some lasers and high speed robot battles.
While religious leaders around the world struggle to connect with increasingly secular youth, there is one buddhist temple in western Tokyo that has embraced “moe,” or painfully cute anime characters, and will capitalize on its status as “Geek Mecca” by opening up a maid cafe for two days in November.
Like cute anime girls? Enjoy the occasional cup of sake? Then head on down to the Moe Syu Summit and Sake Matsuri. Held in Akihabara, the otaku capital of Japan, the festival combines moe (cute anime girls) and nihonshu (Japanese rice wine).
If a guy yells “Hey, fattie!” at you, the natural reaction from many girls would be a good slap in the face. But apparently when it comes from the perfect lips of a hot guy, it’s just motivation…
The smartphone is perhaps one of the neatest inventions we have. They allow unprecedented access and communicative abilities—until the #$%& battery dies! What good is a five-inch screen with a quadcore processor and more gigs of ram than my last laptop if the battery is dead by noon? This has led to numerous power-saving methods, external batteries, and, of course, apps claiming to extend battery life. Today, we discovered one app that does a little more than just extend your battery life, it also creeps you out and makes you feel like a terrible pervert! Yah!
What better way to brighten up a rainy day than with a cute girl shielding you from the downpour? And if you can’t find a girl to hold your umbrella, then maybe a girl on your umbrella is the next best thing…
- Master Blaster
Jul 11, 2013
With the announcement of Mt. Fuji joining the ranks of UNESCO’s World Heritage, there has been a sudden swell of attention paid to the iconic mountain. Merchandise has been coming out fast and furious, but the popularity explosion has unexpectedly struck the cute anthropomorphic Mt. Fuji moe character Saori with some of its shrapnel. However, while people were coming for the name association, a steady fan-base is building as we learn a little more about Saori’s personality.
- Cara Clegg
Jul 6, 2013
From countries and camera lenses to burgers and government corporations, Japan has a vibrant moe culture of personifying inanimate objects – in other words, turning them into cute, giant-eyed anime characters. The latest addition is a game populated by beautiful, shapely “warships”, which seems like a very modern idea but may actually have its origins in the prewar era.
While Japan is moving to make the most of their coolness, the Chinese-made Japanese input system “Baidu IME” makes a move to guilt trip users into keeping it around.
See, if you ever decide that you don’t like the program and want to remove it, a pretty young woman will appear, begging, on your screen. Emotional black mail at its finest!
Moe promotion is in right now! Anything can be moe-fied, and a cute persona can help sell anything from regular rice to smelly natto. Recently companies, schools, railways and even government offices have all been getting in on the act. You just can’t get away from it! And this video has the proof. Read More
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit2
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it3
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan4
- Tokyo custom hamburger steak restaurant is all about choices, and all of them are delicious5
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life6
- 17 mouthwatering photos from the legendary sushi restaurant where Obama just ate dinner7
- What do Japanese people think of when they hear the word “otaku?”8
- The Rice Cube — tasty-looking appetizers made fun and easy!!9
- Tokyo Tower lights up beautifully in Star-Spangled Banner style for President Obama10
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it2
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection3
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit4
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly5
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated6
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love7
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together8
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends9
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival2
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos3
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】8
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong9
- Take your love of touching imitation breasts out on the go with Puni Puni Case For iPhone10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea4
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life
- 17 mouthwatering photos from the legendary sushi restaurant where Obama just ate dinner
- What do Japanese people think of when they hear the word “otaku?”
- The Rice Cube — tasty-looking appetizers made fun and easy!!
- Tokyo Tower lights up beautifully in Star-Spangled Banner style for President Obama
- Who loves revolving sushi? Only families, couples, and solo diners (so, just about everyone)
- ‘Power harrassment’ in Japan’s police force blamed for officer’s suicide
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place
- Tear-jerker: Brain tumor patient’s “final wish” is to find her husband a new girlfriend
- “Miniature Calendar” reveals a magical world where tiny people live among our things【Photos】
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together
- The Whimsy Bomb! College Humor splices Studio Ghibli movies with other popular anime series
- Konsei Matsuri: The giant penis riding festival in Iwate