The Simpsons had some fun last night in their “Treehouse of Horror XXV” Halloween episode, imagining a world where multiple incarnations of the Simpsons family has been created by an evil marketing entity.
Anime News Network
Oct 11, 2014
There’s something about October 10 and the appeal of seeing 10/10 that makes it a particularly popular character birthday. Like CLAMP‘s reuse of April 1, plenty ofcharacters were “born” on October 10 and the day has only gotten more popular since the spread of moe and the day’s unofficial recognition as “Moe Day” (10 October (十日十月), stacked, resembles the character for moe: 萌).
One character’s birthday this year is especially bittersweet. Naruto Uzamaki, everyone’s famous ninja, is celebrating his last birthday this year since his manga run is ending in just a few weeks.
Oct 7, 2014
What if we told you that Sunday was being discontinued? Like, the day’s just being removed from the calendar forever. You’d be pretty bummed, right? Sure, it lacks the excitement of Friday night, or the pure, 100-percent freedom of Saturday, but most of us still look forward to Sunday as a fun point in our week.
Well, something similar is about to happen for manga fans. Naruto, creator Masashi Kishimoto’s wildly popular weekly ninja series, is just weeks away from its final installment.
How much of a good thing is, well, too good? That’s the basic premise behind the debate surrounding a voluptuous Taiwanese model recently marked as “too sexy for cosplay.”
While the goal of any cosplay is to portray your character to the best of your ability, just where should fans draw the line when it comes to dressing as characters whose special ‘assets’ may bring some questionable costumes into the real world? We welcome your thoughts on the matter after reading through this recent cosplay incident.
Jun 30, 2014
Although most manga artists have a team of assistants backing them up, compared to live-action films, comics allow for a much more direct transmission of the creator’s vision. Movie and TV programming are by nature a collaborative effort, and you can’t really watch a scene go from concept to finished version in real-time.
With manga, though, you can give a talented artist a pen, and within minutes see him or her transform the emptiness of a blank sheet of paper into a character that will inspire and entertain countless fans, like in this video featuring some of Japan’s most popular manga artists and characters.
Real estate brokerage Movoto generally focuses their interests on, you know, real estate, but every now and again, they’ll also post their estimates on fictional properties. Most recently, they turned their interests to Naruto Uzumaki’s apartment in Hidden Leaf Village. Factoring in location, furnishings, size, and market, they came up with $100,000.
Here’s the listing they whipped up:
It’s not too uncommon to hear similar pieces of music in entertainment; accusations of plagiarism seem to pop up every few months. This latest controversy, though, carries with it a heaping helping of irony.
Fans online have noticed a peculiar coincidence in the background music used in episode 33 of the Chinese anti-Japan war drama Blue Wolf… and Yasuharu Takanashi‘s “Man of the World” theme used in certain episodes of Naruto Shippūden.
Bessatu Margaret, a spin-off of Margaret, a manga magazine for girls, is coming up on its 50th year of publication and the astounding cover of superstar characters for their special tribute has just seen the light of day. Featuring work by artists from Shonen Jump, Young Jump, and more, it’s a must-see for any manga fan!
May 15, 2013
Fans of the iconic manga periodical Weekly Shonen Jump should be clearing their schedules and marking down July 11 on their calendars. For on this day, the clouds will part and a shaft of light will appear as the doors to a new manga paradise will open, offering five Naruto, One Piece and Dragon Ball attractions, along with stacks of merchandise and themed food to save us all.
Jul 9, 2012
One of the most popular anime and mangas around the world in recent times has got to be Naruto. With such fame often comes fan fiction, and thanks to the development of easily available production equipment, fan movies are an ever improving art form.
The fledgling American production team Thousand Pounds Action Company has put together a YouTube movie with an original story based on the Naruto universe. A follow-up to their celebrated Street Fighter X Tekken video, the Naruto movie has been getting an equally good reception and then some.
However, would Naruto fans be offending with their handling of the source material, and could this tiny movie company grab the attention of non-fans with their talents? We take a look at it from both sides to see.
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more3
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized4
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men5
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?6
- Check the weather forecast with a cool gadget that recreates the conditions in your living room7
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors8
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】9
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls6
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men7
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?8
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】9
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- Check the weather forecast with a cool gadget that recreates the conditions in your living room
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- Play Mario Kart on your living room floor (using robots!) with this awesome motion camera system
- New cafe in Harajuku serves up Pom Pom Purin-shaped cuisine, attracts fans and pop idols alike
- Witness the power a typhoon has over a bag of potato chips in this time-lapse video
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks
- Omedetou! Toyama Bay is inducted into The Most Beautiful Bays in the World Club
- Tonkatsu McBurger gets an upgrade and joins the regular McDonald’s Japan menu, people still upset
- “Spies” from the police force confuse and anger Hong Kong protesters
- The toy you’ve always wanted: Action-figure you