Michelle Lynn Dinh
Mar 15, 2014
They’re here!!! Details about the new Sailor Moon anime, Sailor Moon Crystal, are finally here! Toei Animation has just released the first key image for the new series, revealing that the animation will look completely different than the first anime that has captivated millions of fans around the world. Staying true to the style of the Sailor Moon manga created by Naoko Takeuchi, Sailor Moon Crystal promises to be visually stunning. Click on for more information!
Many of our readers may be aware that Japanese consumers are quite fond of unique and creative Kit Kat products and flavors. But now, Nestle Japan has come out with what could be described as not just a new flavor but a new “species” of Kit Kat. And why are we calling it a new species? Well, it’s because you’ll need to do just a little bit of cooking to fully enjoy these Kit Kats. Yes, Nestle Japan’s newest Kit Kat offering, the “Bake ‘N Tasty Mini Kit Kats Custard Pudding Flavor” (Kit Kat Mini Yaite Oishi Purin Aji) is a Kit Kat that you heat in a toaster oven before eating! After hearing that, the only question we had was, of course, “How soon can we get our hands on some of these?”
Aug 29, 2013
It’s finally here, the video game that anime and manga fans have been drooling over for months: Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle. And better yet, our resident manga fan and gamer extraordinaire Kuzo managed to grab us one of the “Gold Experience Box” sets, which comes with a heap of limited edition Jojo merchandise.
Join us after the jump as we rip into this box of delights!
Jul 1, 2013
Start your engines, boys and girls! Long-running racing series Mario Kart is making its third entry into the arcade scene, with Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix DX launching this July in Japanese video arcades!
I think we’re gonna need a bigger bun.
Japanese fast food chain Lotteria, home to the mountain of melted cheese that was our own 30-patty cheeseburger tower, announced yesterday that it will be providing diners with an altogether larger eating experience as of February 22. The above burgers are part of the chain’s “hamidashi” (meaning to jut or hang out over the sides) range, but we’re affectionately dubbing them the “hangover” series.
Jan 16, 2013
If you’re of the sporty persuasion and wish that you could take your tunes to the pool without having a funny-looking contraption strapped to your goggles or having your earphones fall out every other stroke, Sony’s newest addition to the Walkman series will definitely be of interest.
Scheduled for a February 16 release in Japan, the new NWD-W270 series features a compact, lightweight design and boasts 4GB of onboard storage space. Plenty of delicious images and details after the break.
Jan 13, 2013
In a world where leather-clad gang leaders rule the streets and the authorities value bureaucracy over justice, modern-day society is on its knees. Hard-working, tax-paying civilians are terrorized on a daily basis, and not even pregnant mothers are safe from the knife-wielding arm of the criminal underworld.
The people need a hero. They need… Inferno Cop!
Perhaps tired of naming their Pokémon games after colours, Japanese video game heavyweight Nintendo yesterday announced its newest iteration in the popular pocket monster collect-em-up: Pokémon X and Y.
Boasting an all-new visual design, player perspective and a host of new creatures to capture and battle with, it’s sure to a hit with fans and newcomers alike.
Jan 7, 2013
Domino’s Pizza, one of the world’s most well-known home delivery pizza services, has recently released a new luxury pizza in Japan- an exclusive to the pizza fast food market.
Priced at 5,800 yen (about US$66), however, you’d be right to think twice before parting with your cash; after all, this is essentially just a circle of baked dough with fancy toppings. Sure, after piling all of your favourite toppings onto a pizza pie, one might hit the 5,000 yen mark, but a large-sized pizza starting at 5,800 yen?!
This had better be something very special…
Dec 20, 2012
Tired of mowing down pedestrians and scratching up your car while cruising around town? You, my friend, need a supersoft cushion car!
Developed by Hiroshima University, this electric car is completely surrounded by ultra-strong air-filled cushions that protect both those inside and outside the car, meaning that as well as being environmentally friendly it transforms life-destroying collisions into mere belly bounces from the Stay Puft Marshmallow man.
Dec 18, 2012
Bandai Namco has announced that work is underway on a 3D Team Battle game using the characters of the Weekly Shonen Jump collection of manga series. The game is set to be released in 2013 to commemorate the 45th anniversary of Weekly Shonen Jump. Color us massively excited!
Back in the 90s, I was a huge fan of the Iron Chef when it got imported to North American television. Although I was normally uninterested in cooking programs, something about the drama and pageantry that went on in Kitchen Stadium struck a chord.
The show was even imported to western countries who tuned it to suit their own tastes, and a lot of others around the world got into those weekly culinary competitions.
So when Fuji TV announced the return of Iron Chef to primetime television, a lot of buzz was generated. However, their two-hour debut claimed just a 10% share of the ratings, half of what the original program regularly held. It got worse from there as later episodes slunk to around 7%.
So what happened to our beloved Iron Chef? Everyone’s got an opinion and so do we.
Generally speaking, cafes are good places to grab a cup of coffee and relax a bit, but a truly great cafe will have such delicious food and such a chill atmosphere that you can while away hours in complete contentment. If you are looking for a place like that in Tokyo, let us introduce you to Shinjuku’s Brooklyn Parlor. Read More
Nov 29, 2012
We’ve had a Wii U in the RocketNews24 office, not to mention out on the shinkansen bullet train, for about a week now. Despite being made by a Japanese company, the console isn’t available in Japan for another 10 days, and many Japanese and foreigners alike are clamouring to know how the new machine works and, most importantly, whether games on the platform are really the magical experience Nintendo would like us to believe.
We picked up New Super Mario Bros U, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, ZombiU and Nintendo Land along with our import machine, and are happy to say from the outset that these are all genuinely good titles. This isn’t a review as such, but since we have a number of lifelong gamers on the RocketNews24 team, especially our main man Kuzo, we were keen to share our impressions with you regarding how the four biggest titles launching alongside the Wii U show off the new console, not to mention which of the games are most likely to satisfy once they arrive in your sweaty little hands come December 8.
Nov 6, 2012
At last week’s Digital Contents Expo 2012 held in Tokyo, cutting edge technology company Kyocera unveiled something that will no doubt appeal to tablet and smartphone users the world over, potentially changing the way we use our modern-day gadgets forever.
The company has produced an intelligent touch screen that mimics a variety of sensations, from soft and squidy jelly, to rigid, clicky buttons. What does this mean for handsome folk you and me? It means all the speed and convenience of touch screens, but with fewer inaccuracies and silly– albeit amusing- typing mistakes. It could also mean that our beloved touch screens will become far more versatile in the future, not to mention becoming accessible to a much larger audience.
New Playstation 3 Commercial Packs a Nasty Little Surprise, Small Children Now Wary of Plastic Boxes
Oct 3, 2012
Just before this year’s Tokyo Game Show, Sony lifted the lid on its newly-modelled Playstation 3 console.
While many of us were hoping for even a tiny snippet of news on the next generation of consoles, Sony is still busy squeezing the few last drops of juice out of its multi-million-selling game machine, and, in an effort to cut production costs and shift a few more units before going next-gen, has somehow managed to shave a few more inches off the console’s size, giving it a facelift in the process.
Eager to show off their newest toy, a brand new ad campaign for the console hit Japanese TV late last week, drawing consumers’ attention to the machine’s snazzy new lines and bragging about its smaller size.
And then something a little bit unexpected happens. Read More
- Haruki Murakami answers the question, “What is the meaning of life?”1
- Pro drifter disguises herself as driving school student to prank first-day instructors 【Video】2
- New smartphone game lets lonely gamers blow up, unleash other misfortunes on lovey dovey couples3
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map4
- Ladybeard makes music debut as lead member of pop idol trio Ladybaby (no, seriously!)5
- Win the chance to have your Japan wish granted by RocketNews24!!6
- Man fed up with Love Live fans at subway station in China, pours water on them7
- Japan sees America’s Double Down, raises it a crazy deep-fried “sandwich” of its own8
- Japanese start-up invents faucet gadget to reduce water usage by up to 95 percent9
- Vanishing Japan: Five things to see before they disappear completely10
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Haruki Murakami answers the question, “What is the meaning of life?”3
- Vanishing Japan: Five things to see before they disappear completely4
- New smartphone game lets lonely gamers blow up, unleash other misfortunes on lovey dovey couples5
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives6
- Past and present photos of Japanese fashion models make us wonder, where have all the gyaru gone?7
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”8
- Top 10 things Japanese people do that puzzle us (but we still want to hang out together)9
- What if Elsa was from some other country? 24 Hetalia variations of the Frozen queen10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20156
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives7
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin8
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam9
- Why Korean and Japanese people can’t speak English, in their own words【Video】10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map3
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby4
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】5
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”6
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】9
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】10
- Win the chance to have your Japan wish granted by RocketNews24!!
- Man fed up with Love Live fans at subway station in China, pours water on them
- Japan sees America’s Double Down, raises it a crazy deep-fried “sandwich” of its own
- Japanese start-up invents faucet gadget to reduce water usage by up to 95 percent
- Vanishing Japan: Five things to see before they disappear completely
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】
- Attack on Titan cast invades Heroic Legend of Arslan in awesome anime crossover ad
- Otaku ears-New line of earphones is designed specifically for listening to anime songs with
- New Sailor Moon cafe in Tokyo has live public anime viewing and themed food and drinks
- Feeling the generational gap recently? The top 20 things that Japanese youth are distanced from
- Past and present photos of Japanese fashion models make us wonder, where have all the gyaru gone?
- High art or crime scene? More photos of passed-out salarymen 【Pics】
- What do you eat when you catch a cold? We asked 11 of our Japanese reporters
- Narita Airport attempts to woo international travellers with ‘Omotenashi’ welcome program