Against much public backlash, two reactors at a nuclear power plant in Sendai are scheduled to be restarted. These will be the first to restart operations after all the country’s nuclear plants were shut down indefinitely following the meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi plant in 2011.
Oct 22, 2014
A man in Japan says he was questioned by police and branded a “pervert” after providing emergency medical assistance to a stranger. The man was attending to a woman who had been involved in a traffic accident when he believes someone who saw him cutting through the woman’s clothes to apply a defibrillator to her bare chest called the police and reported him for behaving inappropriately.
An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) analyses the rhythm of the heart and, if necessary, delivers an electrical shock to help it return to normal. AEDs are provided in public places and are designed to be operated by members of the public, even those with no medical background. The man is now calling for better understanding of the correct use of AEDs.
Oct 14, 2014
Say you’re a Japanese otaku who loves the new Destiny game, light novels, and giant robot anime. But how would you keep up with the latest news for each one of them? Obviously, you’d have a few of your favorite sites bookmarked and you’d visit them a few times a day–if you were living in the Stone Age! Even if you’ve evolved enough to create your own RSS feed, you’d still only be in the 20th century–and far behind the times. For shame!
Now, if you were are a real 21st century geek, you’d get all your nerdy news through one “AI-enabled” app complete with adorable moe mascots and personalized news recommendations. Obviously.
Oct 1, 2014
It doesn’t get much weirder than this, folks. Yesterday, the People’s Daily, the largest newspaper group in China, reported on their English Twitter feed that “10,000 pigeons go through anal security check for suspicious objects Tue, ready to be released on National Day on Wed.”
That’s right, kids: avian cavity searches.
Anime News Network
Sep 22, 2014
The lawyer for the family of Darrien Hunt, the 22-year-old man allegedly shot and killed by police officers in Saratoga Springs, Utah last week, said that the family believes Hunt was cosplaying an anime character when he was shot. In particular, the family’s attorney Randall Edwards said that they believe Hunt was dressed as the character Mugen from the anime Samurai Champloo, with a Japanese-style katana sword on his back.
On September 10, two officers confronted Hunt while he was carrying the sword near a credit union in Saratoga Springs. After one shot was fired near the credit union, Hunt was shot and killed about 200 yards away near a Panda Express restaurant.
Police in Kumagaya, Saitama Prefecture, on Tuesday arrested a 19-year-old youth after he stabbed his parents at their home. The suspect’s mother later died of her wounds.
Sep 10, 2014
Net users in Japan are in shock today after reading the news of how a blind high school girl in Saitama Prefecture was injured after being viciously kicked by an unknown assailant while making her way to school. This news comes just weeks after it was learned that a guide dog was stabbed three times by a passenger on a crowded train in the same prefecture.
Sep 3, 2014
May Miat Noe, a native of Myanmar and (brief) champion of the 2014 Miss Asia Pacific beauty pageant has apparently gone on the lam after contest authorities attempted to revoke both her winner status and her extremely pricey prize tiara, which the 18-year-old squirreled away with her before falling off the radar.
The Korean contest organizers claim that Noe’s status was revoked after it was discovered she’d apparently lied on her profile about… something (the agency appears reluctant to specify), and that she’d “been rude” to staff and extended a 10 day visit for her mother - which the agency paid for – to Seoul, where the contest was held, into a three-month sojourn.
Aug 30, 2014
From 1969 to 1997, the North Korean leadership purchased expensive full-page ad space in the most prominent western newspapers, Benjamin R. Young reports for NK News. The ads, which cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000, were placed in high-profile publications like The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Guardian.
Nintendo announced on Friday during its Nintendo Direct video presentation that new Nintendo3DS models will be available in Japan on October 11. The new 3DS will retail for 16,000 yen (about US$154) and the new 3DS XL will go for 18,800 yen (about US$180). A Western release date was not announced.
A man suspected of groping a woman on the JR Yamanote line escaped by jumping onto the tracks at JR Ebisu station in Tokyo on Thursday night. His actions delayed trains along the Yamanote line for about 30 minutes, TBS reported Friday.
Aug 12, 2014
Komabatodamae Station was the scene of a bizarre suicide yesterday as two men who seemingly had nothing to do with each other took their own lives by leaping in front of the same train.
At around noon on 11 August, an express train struck and killed the men after they jumped into its path about 20 meters apart.
The man charged with lacing frozen food products with a pesticide last October has been sentenced to 42 months in prison by the the Maebashi District Court in Gunma Prefecture.
Toshiki Abe, 49, a former plant worker at the Oizumi plant of Maruha Nichiro Holdings subsidiary Aqlifoods Co, was convicted of lacing the food products.
As Japan continues to bake in soaring temperatures, Tokyo 2020 Olympic and government officials have begun discussing measures to avert heatstroke cases during the Olympics which will run for two weeks from July 25, 2020.
This week the annual charity event known as the Sumo Run took place in London’s Battersea Park. To raise money for education in sub-Saharan Africa, participants don inflatable sumo suits and run the 5km course around the park, no doubt delighting passersby in the country that gave us Monty Python.
But when media outlets in Japan reported on the event, the audience here was not universally pleased, with some people calling it racist cultural appropriation.
Jul 30, 2014
Irritable ogre that I am, I’m always among those who look around and sigh audibly when someone lets their phone ring in the movie theatre. That said, even the best of us commit this terrible faux pas at some point–the act of switching our phones off before a film starts now so ingrained in our consciousness that we automatically assume that we must have already done it. It’s embarrassing as hell, made all the worse by the fact that the room is so dark and seats so cramped that it can be difficult to find the noisy little beast and silence it.
But imagine how much more embarrassing it would be if, instead of a movie theatre where everyone is focused on the screen, you’re on live TV with millions of people staring at you when your phone starts ringing. What would you do?
Hopefully your response wouldn’t be anything like this man’s…
Jul 28, 2014
That old Internet meme about stupid business plans that goes something like, “1) _____, 2) ???, 3) Profit!” can now apparently be applied to dumb revenge schemes, as a Vietnamese man, who, after becoming so incredibly furious at his wife that he simply had to do something to get revenge, put together this brilliant scheme: 1) cut off own penis, 2) ???, 3) SATISFACTION!!!!
Jul 28, 2014
Police in Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture, said Sunday they have arrested a 16-year-old high school girl on suspicion of killing a classmate.
Jul 27, 2014
There is nothing more exciting than the birth of a child. Everyone wants to celebrate the exciting occasion, especially grandma, and nothing is more fun than having a child you can spoil whenever you want but leave all the crying to the parents.
The excitement of a new grandbaby is what one woman felt when she heard her son’s daughter had been born. She then made a five hour bus trip to her son’s home only to find he didn’t want to see his own mother because she’s “too ugly.”
Comic-Con International will finally be opening its doors on July 24 for four days of comic and entertainment madness. Thousands of people are already getting ready to flock to the San Diego convention site, with this year’s event set to attract more visitors than ever.
And this time, RocketNews24 is lucky enough to be in attendance! We can’t wait to get in there and bring you news, photos and video of all the coolest stuff on show as it happens! We know there’s nothing worse than news sites reporting on everything but the stuff you personally wanted to see, though, so if there’s something that you really, really want us to check out on your behalf at Comic-Con this year, leave us a note in the comments below.
- How to cook miso soup (the right way) in a few simple steps【RocketKitchen】1
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return2
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick7
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google8
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer9
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute9
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t
- The weirder the better? These Japanese zakka are hot sellers in Korea
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events