From 1969 to 1997, the North Korean leadership purchased expensive full-page ad space in the most prominent western newspapers, Benjamin R. Young reports for NK News. The ads, which cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000, were placed in high-profile publications like The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Guardian.
Nintendo announced on Friday during its Nintendo Direct video presentation that new Nintendo3DS models will be available in Japan on October 11. The new 3DS will retail for 16,000 yen (about US$154) and the new 3DS XL will go for 18,800 yen (about US$180). A Western release date was not announced.
A man suspected of groping a woman on the JR Yamanote line escaped by jumping onto the tracks at JR Ebisu station in Tokyo on Thursday night. His actions delayed trains along the Yamanote line for about 30 minutes, TBS reported Friday.
- Master Blaster
Aug 12, 2014
Komabatodamae Station was the scene of a bizarre suicide yesterday as two men who seemingly had nothing to do with each other took their own lives by leaping in front of the same train.
At around noon on 11 August, an express train struck and killed the men after they jumped into its path about 20 meters apart.
The man charged with lacing frozen food products with a pesticide last October has been sentenced to 42 months in prison by the the Maebashi District Court in Gunma Prefecture.
Toshiki Abe, 49, a former plant worker at the Oizumi plant of Maruha Nichiro Holdings subsidiary Aqlifoods Co, was convicted of lacing the food products.
As Japan continues to bake in soaring temperatures, Tokyo 2020 Olympic and government officials have begun discussing measures to avert heatstroke cases during the Olympics which will run for two weeks from July 25, 2020.
This week the annual charity event known as the Sumo Run took place in London’s Battersea Park. To raise money for education in sub-Saharan Africa, participants don inflatable sumo suits and run the 5km course around the park, no doubt delighting passersby in the country that gave us Monty Python.
But when media outlets in Japan reported on the event, the audience here was not universally pleased, with some people calling it racist cultural appropriation.
- Philip Kendall
Jul 30, 2014
Irritable ogre that I am, I’m always among those who look around and sigh audibly when someone lets their phone ring in the movie theatre. That said, even the best of us commit this terrible faux pas at some point–the act of switching our phones off before a film starts now so ingrained in our consciousness that we automatically assume that we must have already done it. It’s embarrassing as hell, made all the worse by the fact that the room is so dark and seats so cramped that it can be difficult to find the noisy little beast and silence it.
But imagine how much more embarrassing it would be if, instead of a movie theatre where everyone is focused on the screen, you’re on live TV with millions of people staring at you when your phone starts ringing. What would you do?
Hopefully your response wouldn’t be anything like this man’s…
Jul 28, 2014
That old Internet meme about stupid business plans that goes something like, “1) _____, 2) ???, 3) Profit!” can now apparently be applied to dumb revenge schemes, as a Vietnamese man, who, after becoming so incredibly furious at his wife that he simply had to do something to get revenge, put together this brilliant scheme: 1) cut off own penis, 2) ???, 3) SATISFACTION!!!!
- Japan Today
Jul 28, 2014
Police in Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture, said Sunday they have arrested a 16-year-old high school girl on suspicion of killing a classmate.
There is nothing more exciting than the birth of a child. Everyone wants to celebrate the exciting occasion, especially grandma, and nothing is more fun than having a child you can spoil whenever you want but leave all the crying to the parents.
The excitement of a new grandbaby is what one woman felt when she heard her son’s daughter had been born. She then made a five hour bus trip to her son’s home only to find he didn’t want to see his own mother because she’s “too ugly.”
Comic-Con International will finally be opening its doors on July 24 for four days of comic and entertainment madness. Thousands of people are already getting ready to flock to the San Diego convention site, with this year’s event set to attract more visitors than ever.
And this time, RocketNews24 is lucky enough to be in attendance! We can’t wait to get in there and bring you news, photos and video of all the coolest stuff on show as it happens! We know there’s nothing worse than news sites reporting on everything but the stuff you personally wanted to see, though, so if there’s something that you really, really want us to check out on your behalf at Comic-Con this year, leave us a note in the comments below.
SAPPORO — Police in Sapporo said Monday they have arrested a 31-year-old woman for slashing two people at random on the street.
- BUSINESS INSIDER
Jul 9, 2014
Kevin Whitney of Chickasha, Oklahoma, was working on his farm last October when his iPhone fell out of his shirt pocket and up a grain elevator, where it was deposited into a pit containing 280,000 pounds of grain.
“I never expected to see that phone again,” he told KFOR-TV. It was a reasonable conclusion.
Jun 28, 2014
A recurrence of 127 Hours in real life in China?! Luckily, it was really only an hour. And no penknife was needed.
Jun 17, 2014
A Tokyo office worker says former champion boxer Christian Eugenio-Gomez threatened him, saying “pay up or cut off your finger.” More details after the break!
Jun 14, 2014
Two people tragically died and three others were injured after they all entered a cesspool knee-deep in filth in order to retrieve a woman’s phone.
- Philip Kendall
Jun 3, 2014
On May 28 at a McDonald’s restaurant in China, six members of an alleged religious cult attacked and beat to death a 37-year-old woman after she refused to give them her phone number. The incident was caught on security cameras and filmed by fellow diners as they fled, but no one attempted to intervene.
A full-sized replica of the Great Sphinx of Giza has appeared in a Chinese village near Shijiazhuang in China’s Hebei Province. The sphinx is open for tourist visits, angering officials in Egypt who say the appearance of the Chinese sphinx is detrimental to their tourism industry.
This pervert told women there was a cockroach on their clothes so he could grope them【TomoNews Video】
May 22, 2014
“There’s a cockroach on your shirt!” is the worst pick-up line we’ve heard in years…
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons1
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Real-life Fruit Ninja! Watch Isao Machii slice up flying fruit like a boss 【Video】4
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan5
- Terrifyingly terrific haunted house’s puzzles are so tough it has a continue system6
- Toyota’s dance craze contest invites you to Wakudoki your way to Tokyo【Video】7
- GMO’s pretty employees rival AKB48 with big smiles and short skirts8
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events9
- Pay Japan’s apology agencies to say “I’m sorry” when it’s just too hard to do it yourself10
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events4
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons5
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】6
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?7
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan8
- Otaku generation gap – Fans in their teens, 20s, and 30s reveal what got them into anime9
- Ramen Shop Serves Mountains of Meat, Gets Customers and Laughs10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】3
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events6
- We swear we won’t tell anyone if you buy one of these super lifelike love dolls from Japan7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?9
- Annual ChinaJoy game expo proves to be Asia’s biggest showcase of busty booth babes!【Photos】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】3
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup4
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!5
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls6
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】7
- Malaysian girl gets 1.6 million views on YouTube for singing about not being Korean【Video】8
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!9
- Brass section rejoice! Your ideal smartphone accessory has arrived10
- Terrifyingly terrific haunted house’s puzzles are so tough it has a continue system
- Toyota’s dance craze contest invites you to Wakudoki your way to Tokyo【Video】
- GMO’s pretty employees rival AKB48 with big smiles and short skirts
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events
- Pay Japan’s apology agencies to say “I’m sorry” when it’s just too hard to do it yourself
- Cute puppy goes to grandmother’s house and finds dentures for toothy grin, hilarious photo op
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!
- Ramen Shop Serves Mountains of Meat, Gets Customers and Laughs
- Why pantie liners for men are (probably) here to stay
- Gundam creator isn’t making his new series for you, doesn’t care if you don’t like it
- Gundam creator expresses disappointment over current state of anime voice acting
- Hamster steals iPhone’s mini futon
- Policeman throws up after questioning a suspect who hadn’t brushed his teeth in a year
- Abandoned newborn rescued from drainpipe in China