In the midst of a severe heat wave, South Korea is facing a terrible energy crisis. And so, in an effort to save power, the government has taken the step of prohibiting the use of air conditioners – the very devices that few of us would ever dream of going without at this time of year – in public buildings for a number of days.
South Korea’s nuclear power industry, ranking fifth in the world in terms of generating capacity at 20,739 megawatts, continues to be rocked by scandal and misconduct. Currently nine of the country’s 23 plants are offline, meaning the supply capacity situation is the worst the country has ever experienced. Though Japan’s power supply is also in a precarious state with only 2 of its 50 nuclear plants operating, the situation in South Korea is said to be much more severe, and many fear power outages such as those experienced in September 2011 will recur.
Two years after Japan’s great earthquake and the Daiichi nuclear diaster comes a documentary that tells of the citizens who still can’t return home to Iitate Village in Fukushima due to the high levels of radiation.
Over at our sister site, Pouch, film critic Kaori Saito was given the opportunity to check out the film production of “Iitate Village, the Problem of Radiation and Returning Home” (in Japanese “Iitate-mura hoshano to kison”) before it was released to the Japanese public on May 4. Kaori comments that the work deserves particular credit for its delicate treatment of the continuing problem of radiation and the depiction of the struggles of the inhabitants affected.
For the readers who are unfamiliar with Iitate, it is a village that is located 30 kilometers from Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant within the prefecture of Fukushima. While it is reasonable to believe that the level of radioactive contamination would be comparatively low for an area this far from the power plant, due to the strong winds, snow and rain that occurred directly following the disaster, the actual levels of contamination far exceeded original estimates. For Japan and Iitate Village, unprecedented levels of radiation poured down, making the land uninhabitable and thus leaving the former residents no alternative but to abandon their village and seek refuge elsewhere.
It as been reported that engineers at Japan’s fast breeder reactor plant Monju made a mistake during testing of the plant’s emergency power generator, which subsequently resulted in the release of black smoke and the ringing of the plant’s fire alarm.
It has come to light that the Japanese government’s Fukushima Daiichi cleanup plan is failing due to problems concerning counterfeit contracts. The government is now left reassessing its human resource strategy and considering how to effectively secure the number of employees required to carry out the work. As it presently stands, more than half of the laborers employed at the nuclear site are suspected of being involved in counterfeit contract work.
How would you like your smartphone to be powered by nuclear fission? Many people probably would not be comfortable with the idea of radioactive material in their shirt pocket. However, they might change their tune to hear it doesn’t need charging or changing for two decades.
Tama-chan, a writer at Japanese news site Byokan Sunday,was perusing the Chinese shopping website taobao.com when he came across just such a battery. It carries a hefty price tag but the benefits are frighteningly good.
- Your holiday (counterfeit) gift-buying guide!1
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles2
- Onsen trivia! Finding the hottest, highest, and healthiest hot springs in Japan3
- 92-year-old grandmother creates gorgeous traditional Japanese toys4
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China5
- [Video] From sick animal to beautiful healthy kitten – one cat’s amazing recovery will warm your hearts!6
- An amazing 1,300-year old way of fishing involving birds diving underwater is going extinct7
- Cat Massage Techniques Promise Happy Endings8
- 10 Japanese foods you can make at home!9
- Godzilla remake trailer released! Aims to stay true to the original movie【Video】10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer4
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour5
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director6
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts7
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car8
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected9
- Subway mini skirt peeping tom found innocent10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】2
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】3
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs4
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!5
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong6
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right7
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China8
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】9
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- [Video] From sick animal to beautiful healthy kitten – one cat’s amazing recovery will warm your hearts!
- An amazing 1,300-year old way of fishing involving birds diving underwater is going extinct
- Cat Massage Techniques Promise Happy Endings
- 10 Japanese foods you can make at home!
- Godzilla remake trailer released! Aims to stay true to the original movie【Video】
- Men’s butts are shaped like green peppers, according to this butt illustration guide
- We compare global attitudes about cosmetic surgery
- First full-length trailer for live-action Kiki’s Delivery Service shows off sets, cast, new theme song
- Days of thick smog leave Shanghai residents gasping for fresh air
- 16 films based on popular manga series hitting Japanese cinemas in 2014
- HEMORRHOIDS! The Best of Comically Bad Japanese T-Shirts on Non-Japanese Torsos
- Chinese man leaps to his death during five-hour shopping trip with girlfriend
- Japanese Character Toast is the Cutest Thing Since Sliced Bread, All You Need is Aluminum Foil!
- Fashionable fairy tale cosplays could pass as adorable dresses