There’s an unwritten rule that seeing food in anime makes seem even more appealing than it would in real life. Now it seems that there may actually be some scientific evidence supporting that idea. A pilot study conducted recently in Brooklyn, New York found that manga can be used as a tool to encourage children and teenagers to increase their fruit intake.
Tomoko Wakasugi (Grandma Wakasugi) is a prolific writer on the shokuyo style of eating. Shokuyo is a lifestyle similar to a macrobiotic diet in which only all natural grains and plants are prepared and eaten carefully to maintain physical and mental health and combat disease.
She said that she began her writing career after prolonging her husband’s life to six years after he was only given two months to live by doctors. His dying wish was for her to help others through her knowledge of alternative nutrition.
Japanese Netizens are Disgusted by American School Lunches: “I’m glad I was born in Japan. Why is all their food one color!?”
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 30, 2013
“School lunch” and “healthy”; these two things don’t always go together. Despite numerous doctors and scientists stressing the importance of properly fueling the growing bodies of young children, budget cuts and time constraints (among other excuses) make it extremely difficult to deliver nutritious foods to schools.
When snapshots of American school lunches showed up on Japanese site Naver Matome, many Japanese citizens were horrified by the greasy slop masquerading as food that was strewn about the plastic lunch trays.
You’re on a diet, and you’re watching calories like a hawk. You check every label at the supermarket and stay away from fast food, but what do you do at restaurants that don’t offer detailed nutritional information on their menus?
It seems like your only two options are to put your diet in jeopardy and take a leap of faith, or avoid the restaurant and miss out on a delicious meal.
A third option is in the works. In the near future, you will be able to take a picture of the food with your smartphone and consult your virtual nutritionist.
Nutritional information web service Asken is using the latest Sony technology to give dieters a handy tool for managing caloric intake. The technology analyzes images of full meals and picks apart the various components, displaying the name and caloric value of each part as well as the total nutritional value of the entire meal. Read More
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment1
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race2
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today3
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!4
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break5
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos6
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares7
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】8
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe9
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Cats transform into bears, bats, and more, impress and enchant Japanese Internet users
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day