There’s an unwritten rule that seeing food in anime makes seem even more appealing than it would in real life. Now it seems that there may actually be some scientific evidence supporting that idea. A pilot study conducted recently in Brooklyn, New York found that manga can be used as a tool to encourage children and teenagers to increase their fruit intake.
Tomoko Wakasugi (Grandma Wakasugi) is a prolific writer on the shokuyo style of eating. Shokuyo is a lifestyle similar to a macrobiotic diet in which only all natural grains and plants are prepared and eaten carefully to maintain physical and mental health and combat disease.
She said that she began her writing career after prolonging her husband’s life to six years after he was only given two months to live by doctors. His dying wish was for her to help others through her knowledge of alternative nutrition.
Japanese Netizens are Disgusted by American School Lunches: “I’m glad I was born in Japan. Why is all their food one color!?”
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 30, 2013
“School lunch” and “healthy”; these two things don’t always go together. Despite numerous doctors and scientists stressing the importance of properly fueling the growing bodies of young children, budget cuts and time constraints (among other excuses) make it extremely difficult to deliver nutritious foods to schools.
When snapshots of American school lunches showed up on Japanese site Naver Matome, many Japanese citizens were horrified by the greasy slop masquerading as food that was strewn about the plastic lunch trays.
You’re on a diet, and you’re watching calories like a hawk. You check every label at the supermarket and stay away from fast food, but what do you do at restaurants that don’t offer detailed nutritional information on their menus?
It seems like your only two options are to put your diet in jeopardy and take a leap of faith, or avoid the restaurant and miss out on a delicious meal.
A third option is in the works. In the near future, you will be able to take a picture of the food with your smartphone and consult your virtual nutritionist.
Nutritional information web service Asken is using the latest Sony technology to give dieters a handy tool for managing caloric intake. The technology analyzes images of full meals and picks apart the various components, displaying the name and caloric value of each part as well as the total nutritional value of the entire meal. Read More
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- Get the most out of your visit to Japan with these tourist-only deals 【Ninja Life Skills】3
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】4
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool5
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today6
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar7
- Our reporter goes looking for fans at Comic-Con…in his Sailor Venus cosplay outfit8
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?9
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!10
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex6
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar
- Our reporter goes looking for fans at Comic-Con…in his Sailor Venus cosplay outfit
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Gintama’s protagonist as envisioned by fujoshi: blushing, bare-chested, and super voluptuous!
- Japanese netizens lament over the long, but sad life of sea urchins
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants
- We apply to appear in new Yakuza game, still waiting to hear back from Sega