There’s an unwritten rule that seeing food in anime makes seem even more appealing than it would in real life. Now it seems that there may actually be some scientific evidence supporting that idea. A pilot study conducted recently in Brooklyn, New York found that manga can be used as a tool to encourage children and teenagers to increase their fruit intake.
Tomoko Wakasugi (Grandma Wakasugi) is a prolific writer on the shokuyo style of eating. Shokuyo is a lifestyle similar to a macrobiotic diet in which only all natural grains and plants are prepared and eaten carefully to maintain physical and mental health and combat disease.
She said that she began her writing career after prolonging her husband’s life to six years after he was only given two months to live by doctors. His dying wish was for her to help others through her knowledge of alternative nutrition.
Japanese Netizens are Disgusted by American School Lunches: “I’m glad I was born in Japan. Why is all their food one color!?”
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jan 30, 2013
“School lunch” and “healthy”; these two things don’t always go together. Despite numerous doctors and scientists stressing the importance of properly fueling the growing bodies of young children, budget cuts and time constraints (among other excuses) make it extremely difficult to deliver nutritious foods to schools.
When snapshots of American school lunches showed up on Japanese site Naver Matome, many Japanese citizens were horrified by the greasy slop masquerading as food that was strewn about the plastic lunch trays.
You’re on a diet, and you’re watching calories like a hawk. You check every label at the supermarket and stay away from fast food, but what do you do at restaurants that don’t offer detailed nutritional information on their menus?
It seems like your only two options are to put your diet in jeopardy and take a leap of faith, or avoid the restaurant and miss out on a delicious meal.
A third option is in the works. In the near future, you will be able to take a picture of the food with your smartphone and consult your virtual nutritionist.
Nutritional information web service Asken is using the latest Sony technology to give dieters a handy tool for managing caloric intake. The technology analyzes images of full meals and picks apart the various components, displaying the name and caloric value of each part as well as the total nutritional value of the entire meal. Read More
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide4
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers5
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children6
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional7
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts8
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map9
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid8
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing8
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls9
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card
- Domino’s Japan offering discounts to customers who pound the wall, show mementos from old flames
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- Watch time go by with 70,000 beautiful Japanese women, that’s 48 girls a minute every day!
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: ‘No more weird architecture’
- Mount Ontake: some hikers “died taking photos of the erupting volcano”, pathologist says
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid
- She just popped up from your toilet paper to say hello!