What would you get if you crossed the ancient capital of Japan with the massively successful Dragon Quest series of video games? Nope, it’s not a silly question, since this collaboration has already been realized in the form of “Nara Quest,” the funny title for a handful of amusing souvenirs from Nara Prefecture that parody the famous game franchise. Read on for a look at the clever goods!
If you’re lucky enough to take a trip over to Tokyo, it’s best to bring a little slice of Japan’s capital back home for those who missed out on your trip. But with all the delectable sweets and beautifully packaged treats, it can be a little overwhelming to choose the right one. So before you leave, be sure to take a look at this list of the top 10 omiyage you can only buy at Tokyo Station.
Mar 24, 2014
Earlier in the year we brought you Japanese people’s best souvenir recommendations for foreigners, in which items like folding fans, Japanese wagashi sweets, and even traditional swords were featured. But what do visitors to Japan themselves choose as the best things to buy as a memento of their trip, or take back for their friends at home? The answers may surprise you!
If you’re looking for a unique Japanese gift that’s light in your luggage but heavy in tradition, then this is the item for you. It’s called the KD Daruma (Knock-Down Daruma) and it’s modelled on the centuries-old, round, good-luck talisman which symbolises Bodhidharma, the founder of the Zen sect of Buddhism. This modern take on the daruma features a flat-pack design and clever assembly so unusual it’s just been awarded first prize as Japan’s most fascinating souvenir in a competition held by the Japan Tourism Agency. We take a closer look at the details to see what makes this little novelty so charming.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 6, 2013
Shimane Prefecture, ever heard of it? If your answer is a resounding “no,” you’re not alone. The oddly shaped prefecture stretching along the western coast of Japan is barely known within its own country, let alone abroad. But one disgruntled mascot is out to bring Shimane’s shortcomings to light, making fun of the prefecture’s lack of popularity and population, and giving the area a little boost in positive publicity online.
Jun 8, 2013
Who doesn’t like to kick back and enjoy a chocolate chip cookie every once in a while? Every country has a go-to brand of prepackaged chewy chocolate chip cookies. You know, the kind that you can put in the toaster over and make all warm and gooey… ahh yes.
In Japan the leading brand of these cookies has got to be Country Ma’am. Although they’re eternally available in plain (called vanilla), chocolate chip, and double chocolate chip flavors, this line of cookies is well known for its countless limited-time-only specialty flavors such as strawberry, cheesecake, iced tea, pancake, pumpkin, and green tea to name but a few.
However, this time they are coming out with two specialty flavors based on a pair of traditional Japanese desserts, to create a truly Japanese chocolate chip cookie experience.
Tourist shops everywhere in Japan are filled with colorful boxes of local sweets that are perfectly portioned for sharing. These are omiyage. At work, it’s almost expected that you bring back a box of omiyage filled with a specialty product from the area your business trip took place in, and friends and family often purchase omiyage for those who weren’t able to make the trip. Many argue that giving omiyage is a distinctly Japanese custom; Yuichiro Suzuki, author of Omiyage and the Railway, explains in an interview with Yahoo! Japan.
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men1
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?4
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross5
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】6
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads7
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors8
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his cubby body in a box9
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts3
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy4
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls5
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】6
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid7
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】8
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back9
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his cubby body in a box
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- Nicocafe dishes up a serving of surreal with manga meat, half an umaibo, and rice teishoku
- Ken Akamatsu bemoans Britain’s child pornography sentencing
- The toy you’ve always wanted: Action-figure you
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- The plot thickens: Pizza Hut Japan’s feline employees disappear overnight, forcing store closure 【Video】
- The craziest small arms maneuvers by South Korean SWAT, in 9 GIFs
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked
- Is Japan really racist? A look at where things stand