If you’re lucky enough to take a trip over to Tokyo, it’s best to bring a little slice of Japan’s capital back home for those who missed out on your trip. But with all the delectable sweets and beautifully packaged treats, it can be a little overwhelming to choose the right one. So before you leave, be sure to take a look at this list of the top 10 omiyage you can only buy at Tokyo Station.
- Fran Wrigley
Mar 24, 2014
Earlier in the year we brought you Japanese people’s best souvenir recommendations for foreigners, in which items like folding fans, Japanese wagashi sweets, and even traditional swords were featured. But what do visitors to Japan themselves choose as the best things to buy as a memento of their trip, or take back for their friends at home? The answers may surprise you!
If you’re looking for a unique Japanese gift that’s light in your luggage but heavy in tradition, then this is the item for you. It’s called the KD Daruma (Knock-Down Daruma) and it’s modelled on the centuries-old, round, good-luck talisman which symbolises Bodhidharma, the founder of the Zen sect of Buddhism. This modern take on the daruma features a flat-pack design and clever assembly so unusual it’s just been awarded first prize as Japan’s most fascinating souvenir in a competition held by the Japan Tourism Agency. We take a closer look at the details to see what makes this little novelty so charming.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 6, 2013
Shimane Prefecture, ever heard of it? If your answer is a resounding “no,” you’re not alone. The oddly shaped prefecture stretching along the western coast of Japan is barely known within its own country, let alone abroad. But one disgruntled mascot is out to bring Shimane’s shortcomings to light, making fun of the prefecture’s lack of popularity and population, and giving the area a little boost in positive publicity online.
- Master Blaster
Jun 8, 2013
Who doesn’t like to kick back and enjoy a chocolate chip cookie every once in a while? Every country has a go-to brand of prepackaged chewy chocolate chip cookies. You know, the kind that you can put in the toaster over and make all warm and gooey… ahh yes.
In Japan the leading brand of these cookies has got to be Country Ma’am. Although they’re eternally available in plain (called vanilla), chocolate chip, and double chocolate chip flavors, this line of cookies is well known for its countless limited-time-only specialty flavors such as strawberry, cheesecake, iced tea, pancake, pumpkin, and green tea to name but a few.
However, this time they are coming out with two specialty flavors based on a pair of traditional Japanese desserts, to create a truly Japanese chocolate chip cookie experience.
Tourist shops everywhere in Japan are filled with colorful boxes of local sweets that are perfectly portioned for sharing. These are omiyage. At work, it’s almost expected that you bring back a box of omiyage filled with a specialty product from the area your business trip took place in, and friends and family often purchase omiyage for those who weren’t able to make the trip. Many argue that giving omiyage is a distinctly Japanese custom; Yuichiro Suzuki, author of Omiyage and the Railway, explains in an interview with Yahoo! Japan.
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons2
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!3
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan4
- More than meets the eye, sushi in disguise! Check out these transforming sushi toys!5
- Terrifyingly terrific haunted house’s puzzles are so tough it has a continue system6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Gundam creator isn’t making his new series for you, doesn’t care if you don’t like it8
- These Disney princess live-action movie posters aren’t real but we’d pay for them anyway9
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】10
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events3
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】4
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?5
- Visiting the South Pole and 14 other lesser known crimes in Japan6
- Otaku generation gap – Fans in their teens, 20s, and 30s reveal what got them into anime7
- Ramen Shop Serves Mountains of Meat, Gets Customers and Laughs8
- These photos from the ‘richest village in China’ will positively blow you away9
- Philippine netizens do the makeup transformation meme to mixed results10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】2
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events5
- We swear we won’t tell anyone if you buy one of these super lifelike love dolls from Japan6
- Sanrio says, “Hello Kitty is not a cat.” Whaaa?7
- Annual ChinaJoy game expo proves to be Asia’s biggest showcase of busty booth babes!【Photos】8
- Otaku generation gap – Fans in their teens, 20s, and 30s reveal what got them into anime9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】3
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup4
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!5
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】6
- Malaysian girl gets 1.6 million views on YouTube for singing about not being Korean【Video】7
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!8
- Brass section rejoice! Your ideal smartphone accessory has arrived9
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!10
- Terrifyingly terrific haunted house’s puzzles are so tough it has a continue system
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later
- Gundam creator isn’t making his new series for you, doesn’t care if you don’t like it
- These Disney princess live-action movie posters aren’t real but we’d pay for them anyway
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events
- Toyota’s dance craze contest invites you to Wakudoki your way to Tokyo【Video】
- Princest Diaries: Artist uses Disney Princesses in Rape Awareness posters
- Awesome melon bread with ice cream comes to Shibuya, so we do too!
- Master drummers are lurking in Japanese game centers
- French artist gives new perspective on Sailor Moon and Disney princesses with X-ray illustrations
- Do you really know how to eat sushi? Probably not!
- Cute puppy goes to grandmother’s house and finds dentures for toothy grin, hilarious photo op
- A skeptic’s guide to anime – Five series to ease you into Japan’s most popular export