If you’re lucky enough to take a trip over to Tokyo, it’s best to bring a little slice of Japan’s capital back home for those who missed out on your trip. But with all the delectable sweets and beautifully packaged treats, it can be a little overwhelming to choose the right one. So before you leave, be sure to take a look at this list of the top 10 omiyage you can only buy at Tokyo Station.
- Fran Wrigley
Mar 24, 2014
Earlier in the year we brought you Japanese people’s best souvenir recommendations for foreigners, in which items like folding fans, Japanese wagashi sweets, and even traditional swords were featured. But what do visitors to Japan themselves choose as the best things to buy as a memento of their trip, or take back for their friends at home? The answers may surprise you!
If you’re looking for a unique Japanese gift that’s light in your luggage but heavy in tradition, then this is the item for you. It’s called the KD Daruma (Knock-Down Daruma) and it’s modelled on the centuries-old, round, good-luck talisman which symbolises Bodhidharma, the founder of the Zen sect of Buddhism. This modern take on the daruma features a flat-pack design and clever assembly so unusual it’s just been awarded first prize as Japan’s most fascinating souvenir in a competition held by the Japan Tourism Agency. We take a closer look at the details to see what makes this little novelty so charming.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 6, 2013
Shimane Prefecture, ever heard of it? If your answer is a resounding “no,” you’re not alone. The oddly shaped prefecture stretching along the western coast of Japan is barely known within its own country, let alone abroad. But one disgruntled mascot is out to bring Shimane’s shortcomings to light, making fun of the prefecture’s lack of popularity and population, and giving the area a little boost in positive publicity online.
- Master Blaster
Jun 8, 2013
Who doesn’t like to kick back and enjoy a chocolate chip cookie every once in a while? Every country has a go-to brand of prepackaged chewy chocolate chip cookies. You know, the kind that you can put in the toaster over and make all warm and gooey… ahh yes.
In Japan the leading brand of these cookies has got to be Country Ma’am. Although they’re eternally available in plain (called vanilla), chocolate chip, and double chocolate chip flavors, this line of cookies is well known for its countless limited-time-only specialty flavors such as strawberry, cheesecake, iced tea, pancake, pumpkin, and green tea to name but a few.
However, this time they are coming out with two specialty flavors based on a pair of traditional Japanese desserts, to create a truly Japanese chocolate chip cookie experience.
Tourist shops everywhere in Japan are filled with colorful boxes of local sweets that are perfectly portioned for sharing. These are omiyage. At work, it’s almost expected that you bring back a box of omiyage filled with a specialty product from the area your business trip took place in, and friends and family often purchase omiyage for those who weren’t able to make the trip. Many argue that giving omiyage is a distinctly Japanese custom; Yuichiro Suzuki, author of Omiyage and the Railway, explains in an interview with Yahoo! Japan.
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old girl to raise her to be his “ideal girl”1
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex2
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】3
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide4
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】5
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move6
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date7
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman8
- Making a “fart cannon” is simple and cheap, says Japanese comedy site9
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】5
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease6
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!7
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Making a “fart cannon” is simple and cheap, says Japanese comedy site
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back
- Excited for the new Dragon Ball Z flick? Check out the teaser trailer right here
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz
- Crepe made with Kyoto sweets and green tea is the perfect treat after a day of temple hopping
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- 【Monday Kickstart】A collection of cats sitting in funny poses
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land
- Fashion advice – Almost half of Japanese women say they don’t like guys wearing tank tops
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!