Never willing to be outdone by their island-dwelling neighbours, South Korea upped the ante in the weird olympics recently with a series of ads for free-to-play first-person shooter Sudden Attack. Enlisting the services of popular K-pop group Girl’s Day, the commercials show nary a snippet of footage from the actual game itself, instead focusing on the kind of situations most online gamers will know all too well.
Jul 11, 2014
With the widespread use of computers and smartphones these days, I doubt it will be an exaggeration to say that most people have played an online game at some point, be it on their mobile gadgets or computers. Thousands of freemium games – a term coined for game models that are free-to-play but offer premium add-ons that can be purchased in-game – provide consumers with a wide range of titles to choose from. Most freemium game players choose to play for free throughout, but some are willing to shell out a few bucks for in-game items such as weapons and special power-ups to boost their game.
There’s nothing wrong with purchasing items, but if you’re selling your children to get money for your game, then things have definitely gone out of hand. A young couple in Guangdong Province, China, were recently arrested for selling their son to traffickers in exchange for some quick cash, which the dad used for his gaming expenses.
TwitchPlaysPokemon: Here’s one of the weirdest subcultures on Google’s video game streaming acquisition
May 20, 2014
Google is reportedly in talks to buy Twitch.tv, the live video-game streaming site that has exploded in popularity over the last year, currently ranking fourth in U.S. Internet traffic, behind only Netflix, Google, and Apple.
Twitch is a site where users can view other users playing popular video games. The site is also the host of Intel’s Extreme Masters World Finals, the “Champions League” of e-sports (organized video-game competitions). More than 23 million people tuned in this year to see the world’s best players square off in Counter-Strike, StarCraft II, and League of Legends.
The Twitch phenomenon was punctuated in March by one of the weirdest online experiments in recent memory. For over three weeks, nearly 1.1 million video game players collectively beat Pokemon Red on Twitch after 390 hours of game-time.
Dec 15, 2013
Geez, is it just my imagination, or is there an increasing number of people these days who try to solve all problems with money in haste? Seriously, even relationship problems. A 26-year-old woman in China got slapped with a wad of Chinese yuan when her boyfriend found out that she was cheating on him with a “cyber husband” on an online gaming platform. And here I thought such distasteful behavior only existed in melodramatic TV soap operas.
Jul 22, 2013
For anyone who loves gaming but often gets told by those around them to put their efforts into something more productive, we here at RocketNews24 have some great news. It comes in the form of a job post searching for someone to play video games for three months that carries a million yen (US$10,000) reward. Gaming all day only to be paid a salary at the end of it, is for many, the stuff dreams are made of. But believe it or not, this is a real job posting that is valid right now in Japan.
John Stuart Translations
May 13, 2013
On the morning of May 13, GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc. (JASDAQ Standard) rose by its maximum allowable single day limit of 300,000 yen (approx. US$3,000). The stock increased 28.79 percent to 1.342 million yen (approx. US$13,420). The rise comes on the heels of a 17 percent gain on Friday, May 9.
Jan 6, 2013
Co-operative online gaming is defined by the sense of mutual indispensability it brings; regardless of the age, nationality or sex of the player you are teaming up with, taking on a particular role as a team is what makes it so fascinating — and addicting. If you suddenly pull out, your allied team mate is left to settle the dilemma first hand. Vise versa, if you’re left to tackle the enemy yourself, you feel equally betrayed. It is this unspoken agreement of “I’ll watch your back if you watch mine” that compounds the feeling of seeing the game through to the end.
On this is note, let me introduce an episode involving a twenty-three year old social recluse’s online gaming antics that has recently been making the news in China. The father of this twenty-three year old gamer grew concerned that his son was becoming too obsessed with the gaming world; not having any interest in finding a job or placing his efforts into anything but gaming, the son’s father resorted to a rather unique measure in attempt to stop his son in his tracks.
Most fathers, when confronted with a similar problem, would tell their son to get his act together or even go so far as to confiscate his gaming equipment. What this father did however was hire an ‘online hunter’ or, in other words, a ‘gaming pro’, to shoot down his son inside the game itself and thus destroys his son’s ‘online gaming morale’.
Some will undoubtedly be exclaiming “that’s pure ingenuity” others, “isn’t that going a little bit too far?!”
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】1
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka2
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu3
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously4
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z5
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV6
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】7
- Tips from Japan to make your skin extra beautiful! It begins with a bath and…8
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website9
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20153
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online4
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG5
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- 39 looks at the lighter side of Asia9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】
- Tips from Japan to make your skin extra beautiful! It begins with a bath and…
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Catch a movie in bed…at the theater! Four awesome theaters from around the world with beds for seats
- Blogger offers four pieces of advice for foreign women looking for love with a Japanese guy
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 2015
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】
- Model and TV star Kayo Police went to Singapore to wish you a hot Christmas from the beach
- Alice in Moeland! Japanese netizens react to art style of new US book cover