Is this a masterpiece in culinary art? Of course not, but it surely captures the look and feel of a titan from the series Attack on Titan. Voice actress Yuki Takao has been making and sharing her bento creations on her blog, and her unique style is starting to get some attention. Everyone needs a hobby, even famous people, and with their busy schedules, we’re sure they really appreciate the chance to relax and enjoy their time off. Yuki seems to spend it making unique bento and with food art like this, you have to wonder, what other creations has she made???
- Philip Kendall
Jan 12, 2013
Quirky Japanese designer Takayuki Fukuzawa is on a mission to make people smile.
A graduate of Tokyo’s Nihon University, Fukuzawa started designing his own unique brand of “humourous art and design” products not long after entering full-time employment as a home designer. After bringing smiles to exhibition attendees’ faces and realising that he might be on to something, he quickly established his own company, ekoD Works (pronounced “eco doh”), and hasn’t looked back since.
Japan’s Excite News sat down with Fukuzawa to pick his brains about his unusual product line-up, the meaning behind the company name and the runaway success of his mercilessly cheeky “Wild Idea Mapping red Bra T-shirt”.
- Philip Kendall
Nov 8, 2012
Japanese food manufacturer Nissin, maker of incredibly popular “like fresh” instant noodle brand Raō, has taken the unusual step of opening a tiny restaurant of its own in Shibuya station, Tokyo. The restaurant opened just yesterday and is situated, of all places, in the very centre of the busy Yamanote line platform.
The miniature restaurant’s menu consists of just two items: two flavours of regular, shop-bought instant ramen, each costing just 250 yen (US$3).
Always eager to try out new food and discover interesting new locations, our intrepid RocketNews24 reporters headed down to see the restaurant for themselves.
Watches used to be unique in their blend of fashion and function. They were a necessary part of daily life, but also a way to express yourself. This is a custom that may be dying out as mobile phones take more of a hold in our lives. Personally I haven’t worn one in about three years.
With an ever shrinking market, watchmakers are having to come up with completely new, off-the-wall ideas to get people into their product. The following is a collection of their results watchmakers, ranging from the beautifully exotic to the mind-bendingly weird.
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- When first-try character bentos go wrong 【Photos】2
- Revealed! Japan’s top 10 handsome samurai【Photos】3
- Is it safe to dance yet? Uncertainty continues to reign supreme in Japan’s club scene4
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter5
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently6
- Has a Japanese company found the fountain of youth? One man’s youthful skin suggests so7
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)8
- This set of stairs at Kitakata Station really cares9
- Considering a tattoo? Take it for a removable test run with these tattoo sleeves10
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls1
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters2
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?3
- Cat man from Kyushu walks nine cats in a stroller, draws crowds in Tokyo4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku6
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air7
- Is the New Nintendo 3DS worth the purchase? Early adopters in Japan share their thoughts8
- Korean activists upset over plans to sew the anuses of river rats shut, make them eat each other9
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently
- Has a Japanese company found the fountain of youth? One man’s youthful skin suggests so
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)
- This set of stairs at Kitakata Station really cares
- Considering a tattoo? Take it for a removable test run with these tattoo sleeves
- Shocking footage of accident on Japanese highway reminds us of the fragility of life 【Video】
- Fukuoka’s “Wisteria Tunnel” delights visitors with pretty pastel petals
- Election time or erection time? Taiwanese political ad features sexy bicyclist, and that’s about it
- Worried about McDonald’s chicken in Japan? Don’t be! Free McNuggets ease your fears!
- Bus otaku can now buy “request stop” buttons from Tokyu Bus Corp, push to their heart’s content
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】
- It’s BAAAACK! The Tower Cheeseburger from Lotteria — but for ONE DAY only!