In celebration of the release of this year’s Pokémon movie Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction on Saturday, a special “Pokémon the Movie XY Shop” will be open in Tokyo’s Roppongi Hills between July 19 and August 31. Pokémon fans will definitely want to stock up on the limited-edition goods being sold there, as well as sample the adorable Pikachu-themed food at the “Pikachu Cafe.” Plus, the shop will be located on the observation deck of one of Tokyo’s highest buildings, so you can fit in some essential sightseeing, too!
- Casey Baseel
Jul 12, 2014
Running a restaurant is tough work, as anyone who’s ever worked as a server, cook, or manager can tell you. Especially in Japan, a country where a good meal is considered one of the best things that can happen during your day, we try to give the staff the benefit of the doubt that they’re preparing our food as quickly as they can, while still maintaining the levels of flavor and presentation customers expect.
Still, we have to admit our patience was tested when we walked into a restaurant in Sapporo and ordered a single parfait. We were pretty surprised when well over an hour later, it still hadn’t come.
Then we were even more shocked when we finally got to eat our dessert and found out it was well worth the wait.
You know Japan can seriously bring the weird, and their take on dessert is no exception. Whether it’s unthinkable ingredients, inventive execution or just downright audaciousness, here are our votes on Japan’s weirdest parfaits.
From 18 January 2013, Japanese sweet specialist Cozy Corner released a dessert that will leave anyone with even a slightly sweet tooth wiping the drool from their lips and exclaiming, “I’m witnessing a dessert revolution!” Just what type of dessert could we be talking about? None other than a gigantic 65-piece strawberry parfait weighing in at, wait for it, a shocking 2,000 kilocalories! Shortly after hearing this announcement, our reporter Mr. Sato carried himself off to the establishment in question to see what all the fuss was about.
The image you see above is that of a standard banana parfait in Japan. Pleasing to the eye and undoubtedly delicious.
The image that comes after the break in this article, which was retweeted over 13,000 times after going viral in Japan earlier this week, is that of a banana parfait arranged to like a giant…you know…
Just check the image below.
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films1
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】2
- Sumida River Fireworks Festival aftermath: Not everyone in Japan has perfect manners after all3
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan4
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】5
- Not so fun in the sun – Cases of heatstroke hit a year-high last week in Japan6
- How to make your own Pikachu Burgers!【RocketKitchen】7
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】8
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?9
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?8
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!9
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Not so fun in the sun – Cases of heatstroke hit a year-high last week in Japan
- How to make your own Pikachu Burgers!【RocketKitchen】
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival
- Titans attack Lawson convenience stores, bring tons of anime goodies with them
- Not getting enough attention with your iPhone? Stick a couple of Iwashitas on it
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn
- Luigi’s ‘death stare’ makes it into Japanese Mario Kart 8 commercial
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto