We don’t know why people always make the same mistakes, and history always repeats itself. In this case we are talking about Lotteria, one of Japan’s largest fast food chains. In the past, it had once made the mistake of selling a ramen burger that sandwiched droopy ramen between buns. It wasn’t well received. And then they brought to us a tsukemen burger, which also didn’t do well. We thought they’d have learned their lesson, but no! Much to our dismay, starting on September 8, they started selling a neapolitan spaghetti burger. We’re not quite sure why they are so insistent on putting noodles between buns, but we do know that the new noodle burgers aren’t impressing diners in Japan.
Aug 28, 2014
With the highest concentration of anime and video game specialty stores on the planet, it’s pretty easy to go over-budget spending a day in Akihabara. But while some otaku might claim that Japanese animation is their lifeblood, eventually everyone needs to eat something.
So for everyone with a crying wallet and a grumbling stomach, a new restaurant has just arrived in the neighborhood, serving pasta to-go, starting at just 190 yen (US$1.88).
Jun 22, 2014
Although Italian in origin, the words pasta and spaghetti are now everyday words in English. Thanks to the foods’ proliferation around the world these words can also be found in Japanese, pronounced pasuta and supagettī respectively.
But in recent years, it seems as if the word “spaghetti” has been falling out of favor in Japan, being replaced by the word “pasta.” Although in English the distinction between “spaghetti” and “pasta” is pretty clear (pasta being the foodstuff, spaghetti one of its many varieties), it seems there is a whole other world of nuances when the words cross over into Japanese.
The other day we brought you news about Brazilian style cup noodles and as the saying goes, you eat with your eyes before your mouth and we’re sure many of you became suddenly hungry after looking at the picture. Even though you knew it was Cup Noodle, that didn’t stop you from salivating at the words “BBQ” and “Brazilian spices”. Seeing instant ramen undoubtedly brings the thoughts of, “I wonder if I could make my own ramen noodles myself, instead of whatever is in this Styrofoam cup.” Starting from July, you can and this new product from Waganse is just as easy as “making” a Cup Noodle and probably a whole lot healthier too.
Gari-Gari Kun, arguably the best popsicle on the face of the earth, is no stranger to strange. The shaved ice-filled frozen treat from Japan has been served in a variety of weird flavors ranging from potato stew to Ultraman. Of course, Gari-Gari Kun also comes in more conventional flavors like kiwi and cola, but Akagi, makers of this fine dessert, never cease to provide wild new versions for those tired of normal. Just take a look at the company’s latest Gari-Gari Kun, which takes a cue from a savory italian dish: spaghetti napolitana.
Pasta, for many of us, is the miracle food. Boil, strain, add sauce, and just like that you have a delicious dish! It’s cheap, easy, and quick–the perfect food for everyone from starving students to busy professionals. It’s even moderately healthy, as long as you choose the right sauces.
On the other hand, it’s so easy and cheap that some of us tend to eat it often enough for it to get a bit boring. If you’re starting to get tired of your dry pasta dishes, why not try using some “fresh” noodles?
If you’re thinking that making noodles by hand sounds like a lot of work, well, we’re sure you’re probably right–but our colleagues at RocketNews24 Japan have a trick that will basically revert your dry pasta back to its “fresh pasta” state!
I freaking knew it!
Spaghetti and other pasta recipes have repeatedly asked us to “boil with salt” – a rule that has always baffled me. Once, early on in my cooking life, I decided to be a good boy and add the salt as requested only to find that it didn’t make a lick of difference to the end result. I haven’t looked back since.
In an interview with website, President Online, Tokyo Kasei University Graduate School of Home Economics, Keiko Nagao, puts this myth of boiling with salt to rest once and for all, thus saving us from a needless cooking step. Read More
Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 29, 2012
Has anyone living in Japan noticed an upgrade in quality of convenience store food lately?
One of our Japanese reporters frequents his local convenience stores twice daily and, as an avid fan of their food, tells us that he has been pleasantly surprised by the recent rise in quality of convenience store food.
America Flexes Its Marketing Muscles by Turning a Bland Japanese Condiment into the Hippest New Diet Food
Aug 3, 2012
A common addition to many Japanese dishes is a substance called Konjac (Konnyaku in Japanese which may sound confusingly like Cognac). It’s a peculiar, virtually tasteless gelatinous mass that admittedly has an excellent texture to it.
What may come as a shock to millions of Japanese people is that America is beginning to embrace this garnish not as the Japanese have, but as a replacement for conventional pasta.
Thanks to the West’s keen marketing sense, Japan’s often underappreciated purplish-grey slab gelatin has been reborn there as Miracle Noodles!
Jul 29, 2012
This summer isn’t even half way through, but everyone in Japan can firmly agree that it sucks – hard. For the past two weeks the temperature has hovered around 35℃ in many parts of the country with a hardly a cloud to weaken the scorching sun.
Walking around in the streets, heat exhaustion has me pining for winter like it was a long lost lover whom I’m willing to forgive for cheating on me with 10 dudes as long as she comes back for one precious moment to ease my soul.
Just then some news hit me like a bucket of cold water. There is a restaurant in Ginza called Fresh Pasta Monster that is serving “Shaved Ice Fresh Pasta” for a limited time Now that’s something to make me forget about that tramp, winter.
Recently my apartment has started becoming a shelter for stray neighborhood cats. Since then the relationship between them and I has grown ever closer. They now allow me to play with them if I bring out a little catnip. However if I try to pet them, they will still run away.
I want to touch them! What is wrong with me? Read More
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women1
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】2
- Shippers rejoice! 10,000 anime fans pick their favorite same-sex pairings3
- Can you guess the second Japanese inspiration behind this Polish artist’s beautiful illustration?4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Scandal as pretty star of the “Sunflower Movement” is found to have a shady past6
- Bizarre otaku dancing catches on as Wotagei spreads around the world【Videos】7
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG8
- Evacuation orders issued as town in northern Japan is flooded by rising tidewaters9
- Dating websites offer advice on how to land a famous Japanese boyfriend (or at least stalk him)10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20152
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online3
- Alice in Moeland! Japanese netizens react to art style of new US book cover4
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】5
- Director of Summer Wars and Wolf Children announces new anime film: The Boy and The Beast6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG8
- Oppai Taisou Hand, the pink plastic hand that will exercise your boobs to new heights9
- Hayao Miyazaki reveals the kind of otaku he hates the most10
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours3
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】4
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】5
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing6
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings7
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin5
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours10
- Scandal as pretty star of the “Sunflower Movement” is found to have a shady past
- Bizarre otaku dancing catches on as Wotagei spreads around the world【Videos】
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG
- Evacuation orders issued as town in northern Japan is flooded by rising tidewaters
- Dating websites offer advice on how to land a famous Japanese boyfriend (or at least stalk him)
- Cosplayers visiting Japan, this is your wonderland! Over 40 realistic backdrops in one place!
- ‘Parasyte’ opening gets re-animated in the style of the original manga【Video】
- Catatsu is one of the ridiculous new “hot” items for your pet to wear (yes, wear) this winter
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 2015
- The cold getting to you? Have a warm drink — from a vending machine!
- This crazy 4-minute clip is the most epic fan-made anime tribute we’ve seen this year
- Hate Frozen? Then you’ll love these photos of the Disney hit’s Olaf being murdered in pastry form
- Awkward: Official PlayStation montage features image taken from Wii U game, Pixiv user’s fan art
- What if Frozen had been set in China…