We don’t know why people always make the same mistakes, and history always repeats itself. In this case we are talking about Lotteria, one of Japan’s largest fast food chains. In the past, it had once made the mistake of selling a ramen burger that sandwiched droopy ramen between buns. It wasn’t well received. And then they brought to us a tsukemen burger, which also didn’t do well. We thought they’d have learned their lesson, but no! Much to our dismay, starting on September 8, they started selling a neapolitan spaghetti burger. We’re not quite sure why they are so insistent on putting noodles between buns, but we do know that the new noodle burgers aren’t impressing diners in Japan.
Aug 28, 2014
With the highest concentration of anime and video game specialty stores on the planet, it’s pretty easy to go over-budget spending a day in Akihabara. But while some otaku might claim that Japanese animation is their lifeblood, eventually everyone needs to eat something.
So for everyone with a crying wallet and a grumbling stomach, a new restaurant has just arrived in the neighborhood, serving pasta to-go, starting at just 190 yen (US$1.88).
Jun 22, 2014
Although Italian in origin, the words pasta and spaghetti are now everyday words in English. Thanks to the foods’ proliferation around the world these words can also be found in Japanese, pronounced pasuta and supagettī respectively.
But in recent years, it seems as if the word “spaghetti” has been falling out of favor in Japan, being replaced by the word “pasta.” Although in English the distinction between “spaghetti” and “pasta” is pretty clear (pasta being the foodstuff, spaghetti one of its many varieties), it seems there is a whole other world of nuances when the words cross over into Japanese.
The other day we brought you news about Brazilian style cup noodles and as the saying goes, you eat with your eyes before your mouth and we’re sure many of you became suddenly hungry after looking at the picture. Even though you knew it was Cup Noodle, that didn’t stop you from salivating at the words “BBQ” and “Brazilian spices”. Seeing instant ramen undoubtedly brings the thoughts of, “I wonder if I could make my own ramen noodles myself, instead of whatever is in this Styrofoam cup.” Starting from July, you can and this new product from Waganse is just as easy as “making” a Cup Noodle and probably a whole lot healthier too.
Gari-Gari Kun, arguably the best popsicle on the face of the earth, is no stranger to strange. The shaved ice-filled frozen treat from Japan has been served in a variety of weird flavors ranging from potato stew to Ultraman. Of course, Gari-Gari Kun also comes in more conventional flavors like kiwi and cola, but Akagi, makers of this fine dessert, never cease to provide wild new versions for those tired of normal. Just take a look at the company’s latest Gari-Gari Kun, which takes a cue from a savory italian dish: spaghetti napolitana.
Pasta, for many of us, is the miracle food. Boil, strain, add sauce, and just like that you have a delicious dish! It’s cheap, easy, and quick–the perfect food for everyone from starving students to busy professionals. It’s even moderately healthy, as long as you choose the right sauces.
On the other hand, it’s so easy and cheap that some of us tend to eat it often enough for it to get a bit boring. If you’re starting to get tired of your dry pasta dishes, why not try using some “fresh” noodles?
If you’re thinking that making noodles by hand sounds like a lot of work, well, we’re sure you’re probably right–but our colleagues at RocketNews24 Japan have a trick that will basically revert your dry pasta back to its “fresh pasta” state!
I freaking knew it!
Spaghetti and other pasta recipes have repeatedly asked us to “boil with salt” – a rule that has always baffled me. Once, early on in my cooking life, I decided to be a good boy and add the salt as requested only to find that it didn’t make a lick of difference to the end result. I haven’t looked back since.
In an interview with website, President Online, Tokyo Kasei University Graduate School of Home Economics, Keiko Nagao, puts this myth of boiling with salt to rest once and for all, thus saving us from a needless cooking step. Read More
Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 29, 2012
Has anyone living in Japan noticed an upgrade in quality of convenience store food lately?
One of our Japanese reporters frequents his local convenience stores twice daily and, as an avid fan of their food, tells us that he has been pleasantly surprised by the recent rise in quality of convenience store food.
America Flexes Its Marketing Muscles by Turning a Bland Japanese Condiment into the Hippest New Diet Food
Aug 3, 2012
A common addition to many Japanese dishes is a substance called Konjac (Konnyaku in Japanese which may sound confusingly like Cognac). It’s a peculiar, virtually tasteless gelatinous mass that admittedly has an excellent texture to it.
What may come as a shock to millions of Japanese people is that America is beginning to embrace this garnish not as the Japanese have, but as a replacement for conventional pasta.
Thanks to the West’s keen marketing sense, Japan’s often underappreciated purplish-grey slab gelatin has been reborn there as Miracle Noodles!
Jul 29, 2012
This summer isn’t even half way through, but everyone in Japan can firmly agree that it sucks – hard. For the past two weeks the temperature has hovered around 35℃ in many parts of the country with a hardly a cloud to weaken the scorching sun.
Walking around in the streets, heat exhaustion has me pining for winter like it was a long lost lover whom I’m willing to forgive for cheating on me with 10 dudes as long as she comes back for one precious moment to ease my soul.
Just then some news hit me like a bucket of cold water. There is a restaurant in Ginza called Fresh Pasta Monster that is serving “Shaved Ice Fresh Pasta” for a limited time Now that’s something to make me forget about that tramp, winter.
Recently my apartment has started becoming a shelter for stray neighborhood cats. Since then the relationship between them and I has grown ever closer. They now allow me to play with them if I bring out a little catnip. However if I try to pet them, they will still run away.
I want to touch them! What is wrong with me? Read More
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Auction for “the present I was going to surprise my girlfriend with” closes with a happy ending2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- Mount Ontake: some hikers “died taking photos of the erupting volcano”, pathologist says4
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children5
- 【TBT】The top 9 anime situations that seem likely to happen, but never do6
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide7
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!8
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?9
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid8
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- 【TBT】The top 9 anime situations that seem likely to happen, but never do
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy
- Are virtual reality schools the future of education in Japan?
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card
- Watch time go by with 70,000 beautiful Japanese women, that’s 48 girls a minute every day!