When you think about all the power our modern devices burn through each day, particularly when some of us leave our gear switched on when it really needn’t be, it seems like a tremendous waste. So why not put some of that lost heat energy to good use and keep your pets warm?*
In modding communities of all kinds, there has always been the age-old debate of whether form or function carries more importance. There are plenty of car enthusiasts, for example, who are happy to mod their ride with dozens of cosmetic upgrades that do nothing for performance.
PC modder and artist Hirohito Ikeuchi is happy, apparently, to ignore function altogether, as this steampunk military-themed customized PC proves. The attention to detail in the modded PC is astounding, with life-like figures in fighting poses among steampunk mechs, tanks and even palm trees.
- Andrew Miller
Aug 3, 2013
It wouldn’t be an overstatement to say that smartphones and mobile technology in general have changed our lives in ways that we might never have imagined even 10 years ago. Communication between people on either side of the globe has become almost instant, with a wealth of information quite literally at our fingertips, and we now have more processing power in our back pockets than the PCs that took up most of our desks in the late 90s.
But is it possible that we are becoming a little too obsessed with making our data-loving life as streamlined as possible? What we’re talking about here are the mobile versions of websites that users are often redirected to when trying to visit a website on their smartphones. Often, these smartphone-friendly sites help us navigate more easily and avoid having to pinch to zoom or pan around the screen to read their contents. But due to their simplicity, many mobile versions lack many of the features of their PC-version brethren and we spend time trying to find what we really want.
A survey conducted by Kenrei Takuchi, CEO and Management Consultant for Iroha Ltd, suggests that a significant number of smartphone users in Japan have a fond dislike of the mobile versions of popular websites and wish they’d disappear back up into the sky where they came from.
- Andrew Miller
Jan 6, 2013
Co-operative online gaming is defined by the sense of mutual indispensability it brings; regardless of the age, nationality or sex of the player you are teaming up with, taking on a particular role as a team is what makes it so fascinating — and addicting. If you suddenly pull out, your allied team mate is left to settle the dilemma first hand. Vise versa, if you’re left to tackle the enemy yourself, you feel equally betrayed. It is this unspoken agreement of “I’ll watch your back if you watch mine” that compounds the feeling of seeing the game through to the end.
On this is note, let me introduce an episode involving a twenty-three year old social recluse’s online gaming antics that has recently been making the news in China. The father of this twenty-three year old gamer grew concerned that his son was becoming too obsessed with the gaming world; not having any interest in finding a job or placing his efforts into anything but gaming, the son’s father resorted to a rather unique measure in attempt to stop his son in his tracks.
Most fathers, when confronted with a similar problem, would tell their son to get his act together or even go so far as to confiscate his gaming equipment. What this father did however was hire an ‘online hunter’ or, in other words, a ‘gaming pro’, to shoot down his son inside the game itself and thus destroys his son’s ‘online gaming morale’.
Some will undoubtedly be exclaiming “that’s pure ingenuity” others, “isn’t that going a little bit too far?!”
Dec 7, 2012
Japan’s 46th general election is a little over a week away, and if there’s one demographic that could care less, it’s the otaku. For the obsessive Japanese nerd, it doesn’t matter what political party wins the election, so long as they can buy the latest shiny toys and spend quality time with their 2-D lovers.
Still, while otaku may feel like the major political issues of this election, like energy policy and social security, are of no concern to them, their lifestyle isn’t completely unaffected by the decisions of the higher ups. For example, some worry that joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) would bring changes to copyright laws that could threaten the thriving doujin, or fan-made works featuring licensed characters, market. You hear that, otaku!? No more Final Fantasy porn!
That’s right; you can always count on porn to get otaku moving. That’s why PC Shop MK, a software shop in Sapporo, Hokkaido that specializes in new and used erotic games, is offering huge discounts for customers who vote in the December 16 election.
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests1
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives2
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race3
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- Tohoku University evicts entire dormitory for rampant drinking, is a zany 80s comedy just waiting to happen6
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets7
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex8
- Gigantic aquatic insect found in China has record-setting wingspan, possibly anal spray9
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!9
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Tohoku University evicts entire dormitory for rampant drinking, is a zany 80s comedy just waiting to happen
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- Gigantic aquatic insect found in China has record-setting wingspan, possibly anal spray
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Godzilla looms over Tokyo garden
- Would you dare to wear this ‘torso-less hoody’?
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment
- Toy Story’s Little Green Men arrive at Tokyo Disneyland in edible form, plus other new sweets