When you think about all the power our modern devices burn through each day, particularly when some of us leave our gear switched on when it really needn’t be, it seems like a tremendous waste. So why not put some of that lost heat energy to good use and keep your pets warm?*
In modding communities of all kinds, there has always been the age-old debate of whether form or function carries more importance. There are plenty of car enthusiasts, for example, who are happy to mod their ride with dozens of cosmetic upgrades that do nothing for performance.
PC modder and artist Hirohito Ikeuchi is happy, apparently, to ignore function altogether, as this steampunk military-themed customized PC proves. The attention to detail in the modded PC is astounding, with life-like figures in fighting poses among steampunk mechs, tanks and even palm trees.
Aug 3, 2013
It wouldn’t be an overstatement to say that smartphones and mobile technology in general have changed our lives in ways that we might never have imagined even 10 years ago. Communication between people on either side of the globe has become almost instant, with a wealth of information quite literally at our fingertips, and we now have more processing power in our back pockets than the PCs that took up most of our desks in the late 90s.
But is it possible that we are becoming a little too obsessed with making our data-loving life as streamlined as possible? What we’re talking about here are the mobile versions of websites that users are often redirected to when trying to visit a website on their smartphones. Often, these smartphone-friendly sites help us navigate more easily and avoid having to pinch to zoom or pan around the screen to read their contents. But due to their simplicity, many mobile versions lack many of the features of their PC-version brethren and we spend time trying to find what we really want.
A survey conducted by Kenrei Takuchi, CEO and Management Consultant for Iroha Ltd, suggests that a significant number of smartphone users in Japan have a fond dislike of the mobile versions of popular websites and wish they’d disappear back up into the sky where they came from.
Jan 6, 2013
Co-operative online gaming is defined by the sense of mutual indispensability it brings; regardless of the age, nationality or sex of the player you are teaming up with, taking on a particular role as a team is what makes it so fascinating — and addicting. If you suddenly pull out, your allied team mate is left to settle the dilemma first hand. Vise versa, if you’re left to tackle the enemy yourself, you feel equally betrayed. It is this unspoken agreement of “I’ll watch your back if you watch mine” that compounds the feeling of seeing the game through to the end.
On this is note, let me introduce an episode involving a twenty-three year old social recluse’s online gaming antics that has recently been making the news in China. The father of this twenty-three year old gamer grew concerned that his son was becoming too obsessed with the gaming world; not having any interest in finding a job or placing his efforts into anything but gaming, the son’s father resorted to a rather unique measure in attempt to stop his son in his tracks.
Most fathers, when confronted with a similar problem, would tell their son to get his act together or even go so far as to confiscate his gaming equipment. What this father did however was hire an ‘online hunter’ or, in other words, a ‘gaming pro’, to shoot down his son inside the game itself and thus destroys his son’s ‘online gaming morale’.
Some will undoubtedly be exclaiming “that’s pure ingenuity” others, “isn’t that going a little bit too far?!”
Dec 7, 2012
Japan’s 46th general election is a little over a week away, and if there’s one demographic that could care less, it’s the otaku. For the obsessive Japanese nerd, it doesn’t matter what political party wins the election, so long as they can buy the latest shiny toys and spend quality time with their 2-D lovers.
Still, while otaku may feel like the major political issues of this election, like energy policy and social security, are of no concern to them, their lifestyle isn’t completely unaffected by the decisions of the higher ups. For example, some worry that joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) would bring changes to copyright laws that could threaten the thriving doujin, or fan-made works featuring licensed characters, market. You hear that, otaku!? No more Final Fantasy porn!
That’s right; you can always count on porn to get otaku moving. That’s why PC Shop MK, a software shop in Sapporo, Hokkaido that specializes in new and used erotic games, is offering huge discounts for customers who vote in the December 16 election.
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Stand back, kids! 64-year-old enka singer Aki Yashiro completely nails cover of Evangelion theme2
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence3
- Filled to bursting point? Rush-hour crush on Tokyo subway leaves train with broken window4
- A vision of the future? We can’t take our eyes off Shimizu Corporation’s “Ocean Spiral” design5
- 83-year-old retiree arrested for selling explicit pre-war photos online6
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- Anti-UK World War II era photograph featuring grimacing geisha uncovered9
- All-male dance group in Japan breaks the ice with incredible “Frozen” inspired number【Video】10
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- Taiwan Rugby Union’s naked calendar: Because men have butts too【Photos】3
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art4
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues7
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’8
- The familiar looks of “once-in-four-thousand-year” Chinese idol have Japanese netizens talking9
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- 83-year-old retiree arrested for selling explicit pre-war photos online
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- Anti-UK World War II era photograph featuring grimacing geisha uncovered
- All-male dance group in Japan breaks the ice with incredible “Frozen” inspired number【Video】
- Eyes on your own paper! 1,200 Chinese students take test outdoors to prevent cheating 【Photos】
- Japanese baseball fans disappointed by filthy conditions visiting Major Leaguers left dugout in
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make
- 【TBT】Chocolate-covered squid, corn Kit Kat, and other anomalies of the Japanese snack food scene
- Self-defense tip: Dealing with unwanted kabe-don
- How long does Kagoshima need to convince us to visit? With this video, just two minutes
- Legendary DJ Krush performs with traditional Japanese musicians to create music for your dreams
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker