They say dogs are a man’s best friend. Loyal, obedient and loving, dogs provide everlasting friendship no matter what sticky situations you find yourself in. But they also say that smothering anything with too much affection can cause it to want to break free from you. We’ve seen the effects produce comedy gold when Mari, the adorable Shiba-Inu has just gotten one too many kisses from her adoring master. And enough is enough! A compilation video of Mari rejecting her owner has surfaced on YouTube and it has all been subtitled for us in English.
- Oona McGee
Sep 8, 2014
If you’ve ever experienced an Asian summer, you’ll know how unbearably hot and humid it can be. In Thailand, where summer temperatures often stay above 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees F) and can reach 100% humidity, keeping body temperatures down becomes a priority not only for people, but for our furry friends as well.
Clever canines know to beat the heat by hanging outside local convenience stores, where there’s shade, a cold surface to lie on, and best of all, a steady flow of traffic to open the automatic doors, releasing precious, steady gusts of cool, conditioned air. But there’s more…
- Casey Baseel
Aug 5, 2014
Compared to cats and dogs, fish do have a couple of undeniable drawback as pets. You can’t really play fetch with them or take them on walks, and while there’s nothing physically stopping you from holding a goldfish on your lap and petting it, the sight of it desperately flopping around makes it far less relaxing than petting a purring kitty.
That’s not to say fish don’t have anything going for them. For example, they’re far less likely to pee on the sofa or cough up a hairball than a dog or cat. Plus, since they live in the confined space of a tank of water, you can create amazing scenery for them, like these amazing artistic aquariums.
Former J-pop star, erotic novelist and television sex guru Aya Sugimoto is already well-known in the Japanese animal welfare community for her strong anti-fur stance, but this year she has taken aim at the abominable state of Japan’s pet industry by founding her own animal welfare organization, Eva.
Last week, she sat down with members of the media to talk about why 170,000 cats and dogs are inhumanely gassed every year in Japan and what we can do about it.
- Casey Baseel
Jul 24, 2014
In the debate of cats versus dogs, the canine camp usually points to dogs’ energy and overt affection as proof of the superiority of their pet of choice. Feline fans fire back that cats are more sophisticated and cleaner than their low-brow rivals.
Now, it seems another factor in cats’ favor has been discovered: some of them are versatile enough to act as stand-ins for other members of the animal kingdom, as shown in this series of photos that’s delighting animal lovers in Japan.
- Casey Baseel
Jun 12, 2014
As a kid, I went through a stage where I bugged my parents to let me have a dog. My dad, though, wisely realized that he would be the one who ended up having to take care of it, so jokingly told me that I couldn’t have any animal I wasn’t prepared to eat.
Apparently a woman in China took the same philosophy regarding her grandson’s pet, only she didn’t bother to tell him before she cooked it for dinner.
- Cara Clegg
Jun 3, 2014
As a cat owner, I’m used to having cat hair on absolutely everything. But every so often in amongst the clouds of fur I find a dropped whisker lying alone on the floor, and for some reason it feels wrong to just throw it away. Turns out I’m not alone, and some people go a few steps further when it comes to storing these precious mementos of their feline friends.
- Philip Kendall
May 17, 2014
Cat owners concerned that they might suddenly forget the existence of their pet or who wish to gross out potential lovers may be pleased to hear of the arrival of two new products on Amazon Japan. The “Cat Whisker Case” and “Cat Milk Tooth Case“, which retail for 1,580 yen (US$16) each, are the perfect way to commemorate your pet’s growth into adulthood and treat them as a true member of the family.
That’s right, you too can have a small box full of cat teeth or whiskers on your dressing table or mantlepiece, just waiting for some hapless visitor to stumble upon before suddenly remembering that they’ve left the oven on at home and have to leave.
- Joan Coello
May 12, 2014
We previously thought that pets didn’t have the slightest clue or opinion about their haircuts, but this dog, Jin Dan, just proved us wrong!
This little Pomeranian apparently got so upset with his new haircut that he started standing and walking around on his hind legs after he got back from the groomers’! He persisted with this awkward, two-legged posture for a couple of days, looking like a possessed teddy bear trying to pick a fight.
- Preston Phro
May 11, 2014
The Tohoku disaster of March, 2011 continues to impact the daily lives of the people of the region even to this day. We have no doubt that its effects will linger in Japan for decades to come, so it’s easy to see why nearly every story related to the disaster leaves us teary-eyed. This story will also likely have you reaching for the tissues, but at least they’ll be happy tears.
On Friday last week, one elderly couple in Ofunato City, Iwate Prefecture was reunited with the beloved cat they’d lost in the 3/11 disaster — just over three years since the adorable feline went missing and was presumed dead.
Anyone who has ever owned a cat will know of their fondness for boxes, pots, pans, and bags — if an object can in any way become a bed, fort, or platform to sit on, they’ll claim it. They are also, as cat owners will no doubt have noticed, at once both deceptively long animals (when they stretch out or are held vertically, they magically unfold like some kind of fur-covered extendable ladder) and yet can squeeze into some of the smallest spaces imaginable.
With that in mind, and because a) it’s the weekend and b) they’re just so cute, here’s a little selection of photos of cats making pots their own.
Like most kids, I went through a period where I incessantly bugged my parents to let me have a pet, and like most parents, once they said OK, they ended up doing most of the work taking care of it.
Perhaps they knew things would turn out this way, which is why when it came time to choose an animal companion, they steered me towards a hamster. They’re quiet, relatively easy to care for, and pretty happy to stay in their cages, which meant we wouldn’t have one running around the house and tearing up the carpet.
Another thing that makes hamsters great pets is that they don’t take up much space. But if you still think the cute little rodents are just too gargantuan, there’s a way to make them even more compact, at least while they’re sleeping.
A pig farmer in Japan is warming hearts around the world, thanks to a photo collection that documents his life with some 1,200 pigs. Whether he’s tending to the little piglets, sleeping with the sows, or serenading them all with tunes on his guitar, this is a farmer who loves spending time in the pen surrounded by his animals.
Unlike cats, dogs are usually pretty easy to win over. Constantly seeking praise and approval, with a few “good boy”s and a scratch behind the ear they’ll immediately cheer up and want to be friends again. You can praise a cat until you’re blue in the face — it neither wants nor needs your approval, and if it’s not in the mood, you’ll soon know about it.
This little shiba inu, though, looks especially irked, and is making no secret of the fact that he’s cross by ignoring his owner no matter what she says or does. All until…
- Philip Kendall
Apr 14, 2014
Last week, we brought you Japanese retail company Muji’s guide to getting nothing done thanks to the comfort and unparalleled lethargy inducing qualities of the mighty bean bag chair. Well, it seems that some of our canine and feline friends have been paying close attention, and no sooner had their owners picked one up, immediately began showing us all how to use Muji’s popular bean bag chairs properly.
Judging by these photos, these little guys are clearly the true relaxation ninjas of the land.
- Philip Kendall
Apr 5, 2014
See? Didn’t we tell you Japan had a thing for rodent derrière?
It turns out that it’s not just a few fanatics spending hours in front of their hamster cage with a digital camera trying to get photos of their furry pet from behind — there are apparently thousands of like-minded netizens in Japan, and now an entire Facebook group exists just for people who like to talk about and upload photos of their pet hamsters’ bottoms.
Cute, loveable, selfish, or cold-hearted, whatever you think of cats, they’re nothing but entertaining, and this little fella is no exception. Taken from what must have been hours of footage captured by its owners, these videos show one particular cat’s penchant for newspapers, plastic, bags and even plants – anything that springs back when he hits it – as he sits and paws, and paws, and paws away, never seeming to get tired.
- Casey Baseel
Mar 24, 2014
Right now there’s no anime series with a wider fan base than Attack on Titan, and while that mainstream appeal has translated into merchandising such as fashion accessories and giant hamburgers, the truest testimony to the fans’ love for an animated series is cosplay of its prominent characters.
Japan’s pet owners can be just as passionate as its anime fans, though, and are just as enthusiastic about dressing their pooches up in eye-catching outfits. So perhaps it was only a matter of time until we saw Pomeranian Attack on Titan cosplay.
When you think about all the power our modern devices burn through each day, particularly when some of us leave our gear switched on when it really needn’t be, it seems like a tremendous waste. So why not put some of that lost heat energy to good use and keep your pets warm?*
- Philip Kendall
Mar 6, 2014
Just traded in your Xbox 360 for a shiny new PS4 or Xbox One? Want to clear some clutter under your TV set? Proud of your gamerscore and want the world to know that you eat, sleep and breathe video games? Well if you’re a pet owner we’ve just the thing! Instructables user mikeasaurus has come up with a novel use for an old Xbox 360 controller – turning it into a dog leash, which as well as having multiple fire buttons and twin analogue sticks, even comes with a built-in poop bag dispenser.
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing1
- Family: Utah man was cosplaying Samurai Champloo when shot, killed by police2
- Secrets of the sushi shops: 10 tips and tricks the chain restaurants don’t want you to know3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Rule 34 in action: Ryutaro Nonomura’s sobbing and ear-cupping immortalised in adult video parody5
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls6
- Stylish new cat café in Asakusa would be nice even without the kitties, is awesome with them7
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker8
- Attack on Titan’s creator estimates manga will end in three years9
- These traditional Japanese hairpins may be too beautiful to wear10
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures2
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】3
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!4
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy5
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing6
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea7
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】8
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star9
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!7
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years8
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events9
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls
- Stylish new cat café in Asakusa would be nice even without the kitties, is awesome with them
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Attack on Titan’s creator estimates manga will end in three years
- These traditional Japanese hairpins may be too beautiful to wear
- Japanese illustrator imagines girls as birds, creates new stereotype genre – “Bird Type Girls”
- What your favorite sushi says about your income
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- University students in China design two-meter-wide apartment you could almost live in
- Burger King Japan’s black burgers look unbelievably gross in real life
- Taiwan’s Gym Queen is the latest to join the youthful-looking moms club
- iPhone 6 launch keeps Chinese customs officials busy as they seize hundreds of smuggled units
- Man vs. Beast! Competitive eater Kobayashi takes on hamster in hot dog-eating contest 【Video】