Postcards and commemorative photos at modern souvenir shops in Japan usually feature full-color high-res images of Tokyo Tower or Mount Fuji framed by cherry blossoms. At around 50 yen (US$0.50) a piece, they’re an inexpensive way to show off your recent trip or give someone a gift. Flashback nearly 150 years and those same souvenir photos start to look a little different. Let’s take a look at 23 hand-colored albumen silver prints of Meiji Era Japan that were sold abroad and to foreigners visiting Japan.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Oct 10, 2014
We realize there are as many photos of the Blood Moon Eclipse online as there were people who looked up in the sky and exclaimed, “Cooooool!” but we just had to share these ones featuring Tokyo Skytree, the newest icon of Japan’s capital city. As the tallest tower in the world, Tokyo Skytree is often photographed, but the addition of the huge scarlet moon made for breathtaking views. Check them out after the jump!
Sep 29, 2014
Underwater photography can produce some pretty spectacular images of everything from exotic fish to magnificent submerged landscapes. It can also give us a new spin on old ideas–like the images of girls in knee-high socks underwater that were so popular last year.
In anticipation of a new photo collection of more models underwater in knee-high socks, photographer Manabu Koga has posted more photos of an underwater model–this time wearing a school uniform.
Sep 29, 2014
For those of you who need a little break from Japanese cute culture and pampered internet stars from the animal kingdom, French photographer Alexandre Bonnefoy’s photobook may be just the ticket. Neko Land: Une vie de chat au Japon (A cat’s life in Japan) reveals the many faces of street cats, communally owned cats, pets, and cat café residents found all over Japan, from Okinawa to Hokkaidō.
Read on to view a large sample of the elegant and expressive work that resulted from his two-year stay, which portrays cats from many walks of life in a frank, but no less loving, manner. As Bonnefoy gives equal importance to their unadorned surroundings, let these felines guide you and immerse yourself in the often overlooked nooks and crannies of the varied communities around Japan.
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it’s finally time to announce our Pic of the Week!
It’s that time again, folks: the polls are now open for this week’s Pic of the Week!
Join us after the jump to see our 10 favourite photos and to choose the one that you think most deserves to win.
Ladies and gentlemen of das internets, we have a winner!
This week’s contest was the closest yet, with just one percent of the vote between the photos that claimed first and second place. Our Pic of the Week, plus two honourable mentions, await you after the jump.
Kantai Collection (艦隊これくしょん) is a Japanese online card game that gained explosive popularity with its one-of-a-kind characters: personified battleships. Kantai (艦隊) means “fleet” in Japanese, and the motive of the game is to collect and sail into battle with the various battleships that are represented in the form of cute girls, collectively known as Kanmusu (艦娘; fleet girls).
Kantai Collection has not only gained a huge following among gamers, but among cosplayers as well thanks to its eye-catching character designs. Japanese cosplayer Nonomy is one of the many who have done a rendition of one of the Kanmusu, but what makes his cosplay photos stand out among the sea of cosplayers is the impressive combination of photography techniques and computer graphics, which have resulted in these stunning shots!
It’s Monday evening here in Japan, and that can mean only one thing – it’s time to vote for our Pic of the Week! Join us after the jump for 10 superb photos taken by our very own readers and to vote for the one you think deserves to be crowned Pic of the Week.
Babies and gentlephlegm, noise and churls, it’s time to announce the winner of our weekly photo contest!
This week, we mixed things up a little by asking you, our dear readers, to vote for which of our 10 favourite photos you thought most deserved to be crowned Pic of the Week, and the results are in! Join us after the jump for our overall winner and two very special mentions!
As mentioned at the end of last week’s Pic of the Week, we’ve decided to open the contest up and make it as fair as possible by asking you, the good-looking, intelligent, art-appreciating people that you are, to decide this week’s overall winner.
So join us after the jump to see this week’s photos and vote on which you think deserves to win the right to be called Pic of the Week.
Aug 13, 2014
Weddings are one of the biggest events in one’s life, and many would stop at nothing less than perfection for their once-in-a-lifetime (supposedly) wedding photo shoot. Couples spend thousands of dollars on their pre-wedding photo shoots, some even cross oceans to get the perfect backdrop for their memorable shot. But not every couple has the financial ability to drop a bomb on overseas wedding photos taken in France, Hawaii or the Great Wall of China. Want something unique, inexpensive yet meaningful for your wedding photos? Look no further, workplace wedding photos might be a blooming trend.
Lately, wedding photos of civil servants taken at their workplace in their uniforms have been the talk of town among Chinese netizens. Check out these grooms in their smart uniforms and their beautiful brides!
Aug 8, 2014
If you’re anything like us, you love old stuff from Japan. The temples, shrines, centuries-old festivals, and museums are some of our favorite things to check out when we have free time. There’s just something absolutely captivating about all the relics of the past that live on in Japan–but they’re just not quite as good as time travel! Come on, scientists, we want to hang out with Nobunaga! Well, while we’re waiting for Doc Brown to get back with the DeLorean, we can still at least look at old photos of Japan.
Though you might think there aren’t many–after all, it wasn’t like the samurai were running around with smartphones, snapping selfies–it turns out that there may be quite a few more than we realized! After a few hours clicking around the Internet, we’ve come up with our six favorite sites for finding old photos of Japan. Be sure to check them out and see what life was like over a hundred years ago!
Aug 7, 2014
Hey, you! You like taking pictures don’t you? Well how would you like to have your best snaps up on RocketNews24 for all the world to see?
Every Wednesday, we’re running a fun little contest called Pic of the Week. All you have to do to enter is send us an Asia-related photo that you’re especially proud of or think your fellow readers would enjoy. If we like it, we’ll feature it on our site and maybe even say nice things about you.
Jul 24, 2014
Toyokazu Nagano is no ordinary photographer. Whereas most kinen shashinka, or commemorative photographers, will have their subjects don traditional attire and adopt the exact same poses as the hundreds of patrons before them, Nagano is instead on a mission to commemorate the moments in our lives that all too often go uncelebrated, building whimsical scenes around his subjects that let their true personalities shine out.
It should come as no surprise, then, to learn that the idea for setting up a portrait studio that celebrates life’s little moments and does away with the kimono, sombre expressions and set poses should have come from a series of genuinely adorable, laugh-out-loud-funny photos of his daughters taken on a place that quickly came to be known as the “Magic Road”…
On Saturday night, July 12, you may have noticed that the moon looked unusually large.
That’s because it was the “supermoon,” which happens when two phenomenon occur at the same time: the full moon and the “perigee moon.” The perigee moon is when the moon passes closest to earth causing it to look about 14% larger and 30% brighter than usual. It looks even larger when it hangs low over the horizon, as it does when it is rising, for reasons scientists can’t completely explain.
Don’t worry if you missed it though. You can catch another supermoon on August 10 and September 9.
Until then, check out our favorite pictures from this past weekend below:
Hundreds of shopping malls across the U.S. have been forced to shut down following years of debilitating declines in consumer traffic.
In many cases, the shuttered malls are left to decay for years before developers or local governments raise the funds to bulldoze or renovate the space.
Pseudonymous photographer Seph Lawless traveled the country for years to find these forgotten malls and document their decay from the inside.
The photos he captured are haunting and apocalyptic, featuring dead trees and abandoned shopping carts against landscapes of broken glass and crumbling walls.
He compiled the photographs in a new book, “Black Friday: The Collapse of the American Shopping Mall,” and shared some of them with Business Insider.
Jul 3, 2014
We’ve featured so many “before and after” cosmetic surgery photo collections here on RocketNews24 that I’m personally starting to lose count. And yet there’s something so undeniably compelling about images of the selfsame people looking markedly different after going under the knife that it’s hard not to look.
Rather than comparing pre and post-surgery photos, though, today we’d like to share with you a collection of images from acclaimed photographer Ji Yeo, which focus solely on the painful, decidedly lonely period that occurs between the two. Yeo’s “Beauty Room Recovery” collection shows a handful of South Korean women who have opted to change their bodies through surgery and, after waking up bandaged and sore, begin the process of recovery and transition into the version of themselves that they have long wanted to be.
Join us after the jump to check out these haunting, intimate images.
Jun 25, 2014
These days, many engaged couples usually choose their gowns and suits, and take a beautiful set of pre-wedding photos before solemnizing their marriage during their wedding ceremonies. In the past, however, not many couples had the privilege of having lavish weddings.
An elderly couple in Hunan Province, China, have been married since 1946, but it is only now, 68 years later, that they put on their wedding dress and tuxedo for the first time!
So we’ve previously seen the fluffy Pomeranian who got an Attack on Titan makeover with its very own hand-made cardboard 3D maneuver gear and sassy Recon Corps cloak. Are cat owners going to sit back and watch as the puppies steal the limelight? Not a chance.
Check out these itty bitty kitties dressed up as well-known movie characters!
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized1
- Shocking, snowy commercial is the saddest ad we’ve seen this fall2
- New app helps you translate Japanese and Chinese offline using smartphone camera3
- Witness the power a typhoon has over a bag of potato chips in this time-lapse video4
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】5
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men6
- When a goddess speaks, you listen…unless she’s telling you to kill someone7
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?8
- Check the weather forecast with a cool gadget that recreates the conditions in your living room9
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men6
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?7
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】8
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid9
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men
- When a goddess speaks, you listen…unless she’s telling you to kill someone
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- Check the weather forecast with a cool gadget that recreates the conditions in your living room
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his chubby body in a box