If Chinese Photoshop troll compilations were movies – a concept we sort of decided to run with – the 10th in the series would certainly be getting kind of ludicrous, with a ridiculous title and themes that no one actually wanted or asked for. While we’re thankfully not up to the 10th in the series (yet – that one will almost certainly need to involve Photoshop trolls in space) we’ve somehow arrived at the seventh compilation, where we find the Chinese Photoshop trolls are starting to get, well, a little bit cocky…
Aug 16, 2014
Love it or hate it, every country has their own take on sushi. While some of the creations, such as the California roll, are fairly tame and are now accepted as part of a normal sushi menu, we’ve also seen some of the odder versions out there, such as Hong Kong’s ‘killer sushi’, Nutella sushi in France, and my personal favorite–the absolutely adorable but sadly inedible cat sushi!
The quintessential component of sushi is vinegared rice, so while these creations can’t technically be called sushi, they’ve definitely taken a stylistic cue from the rolled shape of makizushi. And we have to admit, some of those fillings do look tasty…
Which of the following creations do you find most intriguing?
What is it about animals displaying human-like behavior that we find so intriguing? It beats us, but we can’t get enough of the following cats sitting in weird poses.
If you need that little extra push to get through the start of the week, keep calm, brew some coffee, and carry on with these cats!
Jul 21, 2014
In the past few days, Japanese cosplayers have flooded Twitter with their own cosplay photos situated next to original pictures of the character(s) they’re portraying. This approach is convenient because viewers can see at a glance both the source material and how well the rendition turned out.
So far, we’ve seen anime characters, Disney characters, video game characters, celebrities, robots, mythical river demons, and more! Keep reading to pick out your favorites.
Jun 20, 2014
A while back the Internet went crazy for one Korean high school’s ‘anything goes’ yearbook photos, but it looks like they’ve got some competition on the scene now from these Chinese university students who decided to do something a little different for graduation.
Apr 18, 2014
One Weibo user has attracted a lot of attention overnight by posting her unconventional fashion designs. She has already gained nearly 75,000 followers, even though she has only been a member for 42 days. While some think it’s all a big joke, she may just be ahead of her time.
The designer doesn’t say much about her work; most of her posts are simply captioned “my design.” She models her own works, but her face is usually expressionless. It’s not surprising, as her designs - which mostly involve balancing computer keyboards, rocks, plastic bottles, and vegetables on her head – speak so loudly.
You might have seen something—or someone?!—like the guy above prowling in the moonlight, but I’m afraid he’s not proof of the supernatural, he’s just a new breed of cat called a Lykoi, or “wolf” in Greek. Of course, most people are just calling the breed what it looks like: a werewolf cat!
This winter has seen some astonishingly low temps and heavy snow even in places that normally enjoy mild winter weather. In fact, the chilly weather has even stopped one finicky feline from pursuing her favorite pursuit: meowing to be let out and then meowing to be let back in.
Nov 18, 2013
We’re not sure what’s happening in Ukraine, but it might be time to call Scully and Mulder: It seems like all the women are turning into dolls!
As the group of real-life dolls grows from a few ladies on YouTube into something resembling an international movement, the seventh “real doll” out of Odessa, Ukraine has appeared! Named Alina Kovaleskaya, the 20-year-old woman is as convincing and startling as any who’ve come before, though she insists there’s a key difference.
While Japan is certainly home to a wide variety of animals, from adorable Shiba Inu to emotive puppies, one creature you don’t see too often is the horse. Sure, they’re out in the countryside doing horse stuff–eating, pooping, and running like the wind–but it’s not like you see a horse just hanging out in front of convenience stores. I mean, seriously, this isn’t The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Or is it??
When setting up shop around famous landmarks, it never hurts to blend in. Especially in Japan, where tourism accounts for roughly five percent of the GDP. You wouldn’t want to destroy the tourist attraction by ruining the ambiance, right?
On the other hand, there’s not really very much that’s “traditional” about Family Mart convenience stores, so we had to wonder what kind of disguise would get slapped on their store near Ise Grand Shrine…
We hope many of you out there love penguins, because if you do, you’re in for a real treat! (And if you don’t already love penguins, we’d like to respectfully suggest that you see the movie Happy Feet or March of the Penguins, or preferably both, so you too can become a happy believer in penguin power.) We admit, we’re quite partial to these little black-and-white fellas, and we’ve brought to you our fair share of penguin stories in the past, from flying penguins to penguins without heads, to name a few.
Well, today, we have a selection of photos that show penguins as wild animals, plain and simple, in all their natural magnificence and of course, cuteness! So, without further ado, let’s take a look at some amazing shots of our webbed-footed friends along with a compilation of comments from Japanese Internet users.
Market analysts have been reeling after the announcement of South Korean upstarts in the lucrative field of Photoshop trolling. For those unfamiliar, this is when people submit their photos for processing to remove unwanted people or change backgrounds. However, inevitably the Photoshop specialist “misunderstands” the request and a good time is had by all… except for the person submitting the photo I guess.
For example, a woman asking to look like a superhero should have been more specific when the Photoshop artist choose the Invisible Woman and wiped her from the image completely. Previously China had a firm hold on Photoshop trolling in Asia but now it appears South Korea is stepping up to the plate. Let’s see what they’ve got!
A picture speaks a thousand words, so they say. But if pictures could actually talk, sometimes you wish they would just shut up and go away. Other times, no matter how awful or shocking a picture may be, you somehow can’t tear your eyes away and you stare in bewilderment, struck by new fears for the future of humanity, wondering why cameras were ever invented if they were just going to be used to chronicle mass pool orgies of blow-up dolls.
If you can shed light on any of these shocking images, comments are very welcome. Japanese netizens were mostly left dumbstruck by the level of perversion. More bizarre amateur photography coming up after the break! Obviously, NSFW…
China is currently dealing with an outbreak of deadly bird flu (H7N9 virus). As of April 10, there have been nine deaths and 28 confirmed infections, largely in the Shanghai area. Officials have been taking measures to prevent the spread of the disease, but they may have acted too slowly.
A rash of shocking photos from around China has been shocking Web users over the last couple of days. The images show sparrows and pigeons lying dead on the ground with no visible signs of injury. And not just one or two, but several and sometimes more than 10 mysteriously downed birds, leaving many to speculate whether bird flu is to blame. Read More
The city of Dandong lies on the border of China and North Korea separated by the 900-meter wide Yalu River. Taking the China-North Korea Friendship Bridge would take you right into Sinuiju, North Korea, if you have the right permission.
However, word has it that there’s a place upstream of the Yalu where it is only three or four meters across. The place is known as Yibu Kua (“a step across”) due to the fact that one could easily step into the other country by walking across the stones in the river. RocketNews24‘s Kuzo went to check it out.
Did you know that Star Wars: Episode I was distributed by Mac and had Arnold Schwarzenegger reprising his role as Dutch from Predator?
Of course not because it’s not true, but how great would it be if it had been. This and the other images below of bootleg DVDs from China have been circulating the web for some time now. However, among all the laughter, people are overlooking the valuable lessons Hollywood studios could stand to learn from them.
Without exception, all of these comically mislabeled and wantonly Photoshopped covers improved on their originals.
Hot on the heels of the previous batch of fractured wishes granted by China’s Photoshop artists comes a new photo gallery.
If you missed the previous batch of photos, this is where someone makes a request to have their photo improved. The Photoshop “specialist” then “misunderstands” the request with comedic results.
For example, asking for a change of background without any details will result in you being on the cover of a porno DVD, or asking for Prince Charming will result in the prince of a mythical race of mutants.
You get the idea, so sit back and enjoy!
The carving above was made by microartist Yukari Ehara, as you may have noticed, on the tip of a green pencil crayon measuring 1.5mm in height.
This is nothing new for Ehara who works primarily in the 1cm to 0.1mm size range. Up until only recently she accomplished this and the other works seen below without the aid of a magnifying glass or microscope .
In addition to her pencil tip carvings let’s take a look at her miniature origami and paintings on single grains of rice and penny sized canvases.
Dec 18, 2012
Studio Ghibli’s visually stunning animated movie Spirited Away has long been this writer’s personal favourite. Its Alice in Wonderland-style adventure, the enchanting characters, the enormous, bustling bathhouse and of course the piles of mouth-watering food have had me going back to the movie time and time again since its release in 2001.
Little did I know, however, that the mountain region of Jiufen, situated just 30 kilometres from Taiwan’s capital city, is where creator Hayao Miyazaki drew much of his inspiration for the film.
Come with us now as we pair the many sights and scenes from the enchanting animated movie with their real-life counterparts.
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide4
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional5
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers6
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map7
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?8
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy9
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid8
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing8
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls9
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card
- Watch time go by with 70,000 beautiful Japanese women, that’s 48 girls a minute every day!
- The craziest small arms maneuvers by South Korean SWAT, in 9 GIFs
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- She just popped up from your toilet paper to say hello!
- Adorable character hot pots are this fall’s kawaii-est foods
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated