A man wearing what appears to be a Pikachu hat and carrying a Pikachu plush broke the security perimeter at the White House when he jumped over the North Fence on Thursday evening.
A few weeks ago, the handlers of the Pokémon franchise announced the Pikachu Tairyou Hassei Chu, or “An Outbreak of Pikachus” event. First they brightened our day with a TV ad showing the adorable Pocket Monsters hanging out in a shopping mall. Then they teased us with a photo of the electrified rodents landing on the dock.
And now, they’re here!
We grabbed our cameras and went Pikachu hunting in Yokohama, and we were not disappointed. We were, though, almost completely paralyzed by the awesome overdose of cuteness that comes from a parade of a pack of 20 Pikachus.
There are some pairings that are so right we couldn’t imagine the world without them. Fish and chips; Simon and Garfunkel; S&M — these combinations and more are here to stay, and it would feel wrong to have one without the other.
But when you cross something as cute as Pikachu with adorable Dutch rabbit Miffy, you’re just asking for trouble.
In celebration of the release of this year’s Pokémon movie Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction on Saturday, a special “Pokémon the Movie XY Shop” will be open in Tokyo’s Roppongi Hills between July 19 and August 31. Pokémon fans will definitely want to stock up on the limited-edition goods being sold there, as well as sample the adorable Pikachu-themed food at the “Pikachu Cafe.” Plus, the shop will be located on the observation deck of one of Tokyo’s highest buildings, so you can fit in some essential sightseeing, too!
- Scott R Dixon
Jun 30, 2014
While many people love the Pokémon video game series for its addicting gameplay, there is no denying the popularity of the hundreds of cute characters featured in the famous Nintendo franchise. Earlier this month in Japan, the new Nintendo DS game Pokémon Art Academy was released and is already inspiring Japanese amateur artists to create their own Pokémon masterpieces. But some on Twitter recently have discovered how the video game may be just a little bit too easy on these virtual artists and began sharing some of their very “special” artwork.
Only a few days ago the internet was abuzz when a tweet popped up claiming that the Japanese national soccer team arrived in Brazil in a Pokémon jet. Naturally, Pokémon and soccer fans around the world were envious of the sweet ride, and even big-name news agencies, including USA Today, The Toronto Sun, and CBS Sports, all reported the fun fact. However, much to everyone’s disappointment, it has just been revealed that the tweet was nothing more than a prank.
Pikachu invites you to create wonderful memories with your family this summer as part of All Nippon Airways (ANA)’s 2014 Pokémon-themed travel campaign! The summer campaign has proved popular with families with small children in the past (and with the adults, too…), and 2014 promises to be no exception. Some of the notable features include the chance to fly in a one-of-a-kind Pokémon jumbo jet, a special in-flight animated video, hotel rooms decked out in Pokémon paraphernalia, and other cool surprises! If you’re a Pokémon fanatic, this might just be the perfect vacation plan for you.
- Scott R Dixon
Jun 9, 2014
The Pokémon video games may have been created in Japan, but there is no lack of Pokémon fandom in the rest of the world from redesigning sports logos to pokéball engagement rings. And to showcase France’s Pokémon love, a pop-up Pokémon Center has opened up in Paris this month featuring original art, limited edition goods and even a special pokémon sent directly to your Nintendo 3DS.
Unlike Japan’s eight Pokémon Centers, which usually focus on the series’ merchandise, the highlight of this pop-up show is the Pokémon gallery where you can sip champagne, munch on Pikachu macarons and appreciate the amazing artwork, including some amateur fan art. Click below to take a peek inside the “Pokégallery” and find out which Pokémon is France’s favorite!
- Joan Coello
Jun 8, 2014
As the end of the week closes in, it’s time to slow things down a bit and unwind. It’s been raining in Tokyo for the past couple of days, and we all know what cool, rainy weather does to us, right? It makes us feel oh so sleepy… like these fluffy… real-life Pikachus…
W-what? Did I just say Pikachu? I mean, Viscacha! Just look at them dozing off on the rocks!
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 14, 2014
The rare blanket of snow Tokyo received last week gave Japan’s capital city residents a chance to show off their creativity. Since it was a seldom seen treat that happened to fall over the weekend, everyone and their mother seemed to be showing off their newfound snow sculpting skills. But this Snow Pikachu has got to be our favorite. Sure, the bicycle-riding snow cat was pretty awesome, but we learned something here, people. Snow Pikachu evolves into Machochu. It’s a fact.
If you’re a Pokémon fan, this “Let’s make Pikachu pancakes!” mould is sure to excite you. One Japanese fan recently tried to make her own Pika-licious snack, but her resulting creation went terribly wrong. We wanted to share these fail-blog worthy pictures with you.
It seems like you can make almost anything out of Legos, including your favorite characters. Sure, there are kits that come with instructions, but making a Lego figure using just your imagination is so satisfying and really impressive. We recently showed you Robot Lego Pokemon. This time, please enjoy 11 different characters from Japanese video games and anime all made out of tiny plastic bricks.
We here at RocketNews24 are big fans of Pikachu and pals, and can think of no other way to celebrate the release of the newest Pokémon games than snuggling up in a fleece blanket featuring everyone’s favorite lightning mouse or toting around groceries in a bag with the adorable critter’s face. Luckily for us, these two items will be available October 31 as a part of a special commemorative magazine set to celebrate the recent release of the newest Pokémon X and Y.
- Philip Kendall
Oct 16, 2013
In case you’ve been trapped under a giant boulder for the last few weeks, Japan – nay, the world – is currently once again gripped by Pokémon fever. Along with the new Pokémon X & Y titles for Nintendo 3DS, the new animated TV series is currently being lapped up by fans.
But one eagle-eyed viewer in Japan has spotted something both cute and a little odd in the show’s opening credits. In typically adorable fashion, a few seconds after the show’s opening song begins, everyone’s favourite pocket monster, Pikachu, gives the camera a friendly little kiss. But what on earth is going on inside his mouth!?
If you haven’t been lucky enough to be inside a Pokemon jumbo jet, just imagine yourself immersed in a world of Pokemon while flying in the sky. The interior, flight attendant uniforms, food containers, souvenirs and in-flight entertainment all feature everyone’s favorite pocket monsters. But sadly, ANA, Japan’s largest airline, has just retired one of its Pikachu jumbo jets. As sad of an occasion as this is, ANA made sure to send the craft on its final voyage with a special presentation and an appearance from the Pokemon franchise’s most popular character.
Let’s be honest, there’s a lot of Pokemon fan art out there. But these creations are on an entirely different level. In the most epic pairing so far, artist, Kuisuku, matches Disney characters with Pokemon, showing us what it would look like if Disney characters were Pokemon Trainers. All of Kuisuku’s art was drawn in Flash and textures were added using Photoshop. If you’ve ever asked yourself, “What would Princess Jasmine’s Pokemon of choice be?” you now have your answer.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 21, 2013
These adorable tail motif Pokemon goods are on sale now and are only available at the seven official Pokemon Centers in Japan.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Oct 27, 2012
Like many other little girls, 4-year-old Kazuki loves to play dress up, dance around the room and sing her heart out. What sets her apart from other toddler divas though, is that she has a mother just as enthusiastic about her playtime habits as she is.
When Kazuki says she wants to become Hatsune Miku, mom wastes no time in hitting the sewing machine. Once her custom outfit is done, mom sticks a microphone in her hand, starts the music, and its lights, camera, action.
Not wanting to keep her daughter’s talent to herself, Kazuki’s mom created the YouTube channel “Kazuki’s Room” to share their playroom productions with the world. We’ve posted a few of the best below. Just make sure to have a pillow or something soft on hand to squeeze the life out of because these videos are unbearably adorable.
A few weeks ago the Pokemon Company revealed the 3DS LL Pikachu Yellow, a limited edition version of the handheld console purchasable by preorder at Pokemon Center stores from August 25 to September 14.
To the surprise of no one, Japanese customers lined up outside and waited for over 4 hours to purchase the device, clearing out stocks at Pokemon Centers in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka on the first day.
- Why does Japan have so many overhead power lines?1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】3
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!4
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy5
- Mr. Sato shows up in costume, is the first to purchase an iPhone 6 Plus, meets Ken Watanabe AGAIN6
- Kid’s video of whirlwind Japan tour reveals otaku paradise, pervy action figures7
- Pirates, pink hair and temporary tattoos: The girls of Tokyo Game Show 2014【Photos】8
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!9
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong10
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures3
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!4
- Wife gets revenge on pervy husband with equally NSFW bento5
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls6
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy7
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls Part 7: “We Guess We Made Another One” 【Photos】8
- The Boobie Squeezing Simulator: Oculus Rift at its creepiest9
- Japanese lingerie company designs special bra for Japan’s marshmallow girls10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady5
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】6
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!7
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!8
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years9
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Mr. Sato shows up in costume, is the first to purchase an iPhone 6 Plus, meets Ken Watanabe AGAIN
- Kid’s video of whirlwind Japan tour reveals otaku paradise, pervy action figures
- Pirates, pink hair and temporary tattoos: The girls of Tokyo Game Show 2014【Photos】
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Taking indoor shoes out: Elementary student style now trending among women in Japan
- Use your rice cooker to bake delicious cinnamon honey apples
- The only McDonald’s in the world where the golden arches aren’t golden
- A look around this year’s Tokyo Game Show 【Video and photo dump】
- Sony really, really wants you to buy an Xperia smartphone 【Tokyo Game Show】
- Stay dry with official Bleach umbrella swords
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star
- Makeup transformation experts move to character impersonations【Photos】