We’re suckers for a good rice cooker recipe and get even more excited when all you have to do is plop a few ingredients into the machine. So we were really happy when we found this super easy rice cooker recipe for “potato chip rice” from successful Japanese chef, Masahiro Kasahara, in his self-titled book, Masahiro Kasahara’s 30-minute Japanese Meals. With only three ingredients (four if you count the water), we were equally parts intrigued and wary as we set out to recreate his bizarre dish.
Jul 11, 2014
Here at RocketNews24, we’re no strangers to the culinary charms of extremely meaty hamburgers. Time and again, we’ve seen chefs in Japan push the burger envelope by offering increasingly massive sandwiches.
Today, though, we’re looking at the polar opposite: a bun-based sandwich with no meat at all. While a lack of beef may run counter to our baseline burger beliefs, there’s one important detail that turns this from sacrilegious to scrumptious.
The patty has been replaced by potato chips.
Jun 12, 2014
Here at RocketNews24, we consider wasting food to be one of the most heinous crimes imaginable. Whether it be a 1,000 bacon slice burger, feces wine, or the most disgusting ramen ever, we always clean our plates or ask for a doggie bag.
And so it’s with heavy hearts that we bring you the story of a particularly disgusting crime. This suspect stands accused of buying, having his way with, and then dumping 208kg of potato chips in the wilderness, eating hardly any of them. As it turned out, this was all part of a bigger scheme to meet the talented voice actress and vocalist Nana Mizuki.
***Warning: This story contains graphic descriptions of delicious snack wastage which some readers may find disturbing.***
Potato chips and chocolate aren’t as obvious of a choice as chips and salsa, but the Royce Confectionary Company in Japan has had a impressive amount of success with their Potato Chip Chocolate snacks. With their sweet and salty flavor combination, these little treats are uncommonly satisfying. And even if you don’t live in Japan, you’re in luck, we have a super simple recipe just for you!
May 27, 2014
Japan loves limited time offers. There must be a department in every company in Japan with people whose purpose is to think of items they can sell for a limited time. Don’t believe us? Walk into a convenience store weekly and see the multitude of new drinks and new foods that appear and suddenly disappear when their time is up. The limited time offer, is nothing new, but it seems that Japan embraces the concept more than anyone else. It’s a handy way to get customers to continue to visit your store, or buy your products if every month or few months your products change.
With the World Cup just around the corner, companies in Japan are rolling out their limited time World Cup products and today we have a few that try to capture the flavor of Brazilian food.
Mar 20, 2014
If you asked people to pick the most innovative Japanese company, most of the responses you’d get would probably be from the automobile and consumer electronics industries. Toyota and Honda are responsible for some of the biggest strides in production techniques and robotics. Nintendo and Sony revolutionized digital entertainment through their game systems and portable music players.
Our vote, though, just might go to snack maker Calbee, for the way the company is constantly pushing the potato chip envelope. In the past, they’ve brought us both fresh-fried and Kentucky Fried Chicken flavor versions, and now they’re set to expand the medium even further with triple-thick, gift-quality gourmet potato chips.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Oct 18, 2013
Ah mashed potatoes. Hot and fluffy peaks of spuds; what a simple dish consisting of a bunch of potatoes all smashed together to create a bowl of dense, delicious goodness. But somewhere along the line, Calbee, a major Japanese snack food maker, made an awesome breakthrough in potato technology. The traditional western side dish has received a bizarre snack twist, being transformed into “Mashed Potato Consomme Punch” chips that are said to be the perfect balance of crunchy and fluffy.
Oct 3, 2013
*** The following was written by our chip-loving Japanese reporter equipped with a fighting spirit and an English dictionary. Please enjoy her top ten ranking of the best potato chips in Japan. ***
What is your favorite potato chips? Lay’s classic? Ruffles BBQ? Or Pringles hot & spicy? You might stick to your favorite one for refreshment, but when you get a little tired of it and feel like to have something Japanese you can try our recommendation.
Here is the ultimate ranking of potato chips in Japan (on RocketNews24 English’s own judgment). We tried to choose unique and Japanese flavors as much as we can. Therefore, the ranking does not include something standard like just salt, classic…etc. We hope you have a chance to try all the snacks here and put some of them on your favorite chips list!
John Stuart Translations
Jun 15, 2013
For those of you unfamiliar with the series, Baki is a young wrestler who travels and fights around the world, honing his skills in the hopes of following in the footsteps of his father, Yujiro, to become the strongest fighter on the planet. In staying with the theme of strongest, Itagaki decided the Baki-themed chips should be flavored after one of the most powerful creatures to walk the planet, Tyrannosaurus rex. According to Itagaki, the packaging of the chips is also designed to reflect “forcefulness” and “intensity,” traits associated with the popular manga character.
Aren’t potato chips just great? They’re the ultimate comfort food (well, at least they are to me) and they come in a wide variety of flavors to suit your every mood. Well, there’s going to be another novel flavor for potato chip lovers in Japan to try, and the flavor is not the only thing that’s interesting about these new potato chips. Read More
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy1
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid2
- “Don’t play for more than an hour a day”: Japanese video game master gives great advice3
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked4
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts5
- Small-you-can-eat: Japanese netizens are not happy with Denny’s new endless pancakes offer6
- The Simpsons Halloween episode pays tribute to popular anime7
- Sun + Magnifying glass = Art? One man’s unique “painting” style will blow your mind8
- Rising star of Japanese horse racing is as ridiculously fast as he is comically scatterbrained9
- Spoil your pet rotten with this comfy bed and blanket that looks fit for a king!10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?3
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku4
- Somebody turned a Disney Channel cartoon into an anime and it’s pretty awesome5
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters6
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】7
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts8
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air9
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】5
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”6
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked7
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls8
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls9
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Small-you-can-eat: Japanese netizens are not happy with Denny’s new endless pancakes offer
- The Simpsons Halloween episode pays tribute to popular anime
- Sun + Magnifying glass = Art? One man’s unique “painting” style will blow your mind
- Rising star of Japanese horse racing is as ridiculously fast as he is comically scatterbrained
- Spoil your pet rotten with this comfy bed and blanket that looks fit for a king!
- Le Jardin de Tweed: Lunch on the roof terrace at Chanel Ginza
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls
- Kirishima Geopark: Trekking through a bonsai forest in the clouds 【Photos】
- New ‘Shrine Cafe’ in Tokyo offers fortune-telling and counseling services with your tea
- Mickey men: All-male trips to Tokyo Disneyland are on the rise in Japan
- 【PSA】Knock knock! Check your car, save a cat
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)