I don’t know about you, but I am not good with plants; I can never keep them alive. It’s okay though, because now I might stand a chance with pot planters designed to resemble the Shishi god from Studio Ghibli’s Princess Mononoke.
It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t love Studio Ghibli movies. From the spellbinding storytelling to the fantastic art, it seems there’s something for everyone when it comes to Japan’s most beloved animation studio. Today, we’d like to share with you this fantastic digital art by Tianhua Xu, a concept artist and art director for Chinese studio Chiyan Workshop. Join us after the jump as we compare this work to the original still from the film Princess Mononoke.
Oct 1, 2014
Studio Ghibli fans in South Korea can finally rejoice, because a special exhibition dedicated to the beloved animation studio is now open to the public in Seoul. The exhibit features a variety of three-dimensional replicas from famous Studio Ghibli film scenes, among other surprises sure to delight long-time fans. Now’s a better chance than ever to actually experience the world of a Studio Ghibli film firsthand!
Sep 13, 2014
The move from animation to live-action can be a challenge, especially in fan-made works. Animation necessarily requires us as viewers to suspend our disbelief, and so there’s more space for imagination. Compared to a richly drawn visual world, then, a live-action remake can look a bit flat – especially if the anime on everyone’s mind is a much-loved Studio Ghibli classic.
Although some fan-made material manages both to pay homage to the original and to stand up as a piece of work in its own right – this year’s Assassin’s Fist remake being a good example – more often than not, there’s something just, well, a bit “off” about most fan-films. Like this Princess Mononoke prequel, for instance…
It’s been an emotional week for fans around the world after news broke about the possible closure of Studio Ghibli’s production department. Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki thankfully cleared up some of the misconceptions out there, and while we’re still left with many unanswered questions, his words left us with a glimmer of hope that even the great Hayao Miyazaki himself may be back to make a short animated film in the near future.
Miyazaki himself has publicly stated that last year’s The Wind Rises would be his final feature-length film, even if he continues making short films after retirement. So how do you pay tribute to a man whose career spans decades and who created some of the most beloved movies around the world? Well, one fan’s idea to build Lego models of his famous characters and a bust of the master himself seems like a good start!
Sep 12, 2013
It’s only September, but 2013 has already been quite the year for Studio Ghibli news. What with the critical success of Kaze Tachinu, jaw-dropping theatre adaptations, incoming movie Kaguya Hime no Monogatari and the last week’s announcement of Hayao Miyazaki’s retirement, we can’t remember a year like it. And now, just when we thought we couldn’t possibly squeeze in any more Ghibli goodness, we’ve received word that a new live-action fan film inspired by Princess Mononoke is in the works!
Aug 27, 2013
Fans of Studio Ghibli classic Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) will no doubt remember Nago (Nago no Mori), the wild boar-turned-demon who curses Ashitaka. He’s not the best-looking boar around, and we’re pretty sure you wouldn’t want to encounter him in the forest - let alone in the back seat of your car!
Mar 6, 2013
The British stage production of Studio Ghibli’s 1997 animated classic Princess Mononoke, originally only intended for audiences at London’s Diorama Theatre this April, will be brought to Japan, it was announced earlier today.
- Make your instant coffee 10 times yummier with this one simple trick1
- Disney’s Baymax appears in curry, hot pots, and more, thanks to cheesy food-based pun【Photos】2
- Japanese opera singer records an incredible cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”3
- Ariana Grande is learning hiragana and Japan can’t stop talking about it4
- Blast your own Kamehameha at the “Let’s fire a Kamehamaha Martial Arts Tournament” event!5
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?6
- Around Japan in 47 rice balls: Mr. Sato buys each prefecture’s musubi all from one Tokyo shop7
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”8
- Team aims to pierce moon with Evangelion’s Spear of Longinus9
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time2
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough3
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin4
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”5
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out6
- Japanese opera singer records an incredible cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”7
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it8
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China9
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?
- Around Japan in 47 rice balls: Mr. Sato buys each prefecture’s musubi all from one Tokyo shop
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”
- Team aims to pierce moon with Evangelion’s Spear of Longinus
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time
- Yoro shisetsu: Japan’s progressive joint care centers where kids and seniors interact
- Japanese wasp-filled crackers: Their sting is far worse than a bite
- Tuna born from mackerel: Japanese scientists develop surrogate tech to save threatened species
- “Underwater Knee-High Girls” goes to Taiwan! Exhibition including new “Yuri” photos to be held
- Tokyo Disneyland raising admission, because it’s the Happiest Place on Earth, not the cheapest
- In a country steeped in tradition, two prefectures are completely void of historical temples
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular
- Coffee makes you sleepy! Nutritionist explains the surprising truth about caffeine