There’s just something about young men ostentatiously showing off their expensive wheels that gets to us. And then some of them have to go that extra mile and start doing things like frying eggs on their million dollar cars, just because they can.
Aug 7, 2014
Nintendo’s business is in dire straights, and has been for three consecutive years. Perhaps that’s why the company let Mercedes-Benz sponsor three new cars into its cartoonish racing game for the Wii U, in the form of a free downloadable content (DLC) package set to release at the end of the month.
Some of our readers may be too young to remember, but in his heyday, Ayrton Senna was the biggest thing in racing. The Brazilian racer took home the F1 driver’s championship in 1988, 1990, and 1991 before his life was cut short when his car collided with a retaining wall at over 230 kilometers (143) miles per hour during the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.
Japanese motorsport fans have a particular fondness for Senna. Aside from having some of his most memorable races at Japan’s Suzuka Circuit, Senna won all three of his championships in cars powered by Honda engines, and was also involved in the production of the company’s flagship NSX sports car.
Using telemetric data Honda has recreated Senna’s record-breaking 1989 lap of Suzuka in light and sound as part of an incredible video posted on the company’s website.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Apr 11, 2013
Kei Cars are a Japanese category of vehicles that are too weak to be considered actual cars, but too powerful to be considered go-carts. They are distinguished by their cool yellow license plates (as opposed to a white one for cars with regular-sized engines and larger dimensions) and are loved by those looking for a cheap mode of transportation. Thanks to some clever modifications by extreme driving enthusiasts in Japan, what used to be a measly 660cc engine putt-putt car has been transformed into a lean, mean, drifting machine.
Japanese site Livedoor News gave us a chuckle earlier this week when they presented a short article detailing how regular, everyday folk like you and me (when I’m not dining on roasted swan with the queen, that is) can take a ride in a Formula One racing car and experience every skeleton-crushing g-force and stomach-wrenching twist and turn for real.
In a video taken at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dabi, United Arab Emirates, we see the unfortunate passenger in the rear of a specially adapted 1999 model Tyrrell F1 car thrown about as the professional driver tears around the track, almost as if he’s trying his hardest to get his passenger to throw up a lung.
All we can say is: thank goodness she’s wearing a helmet.
Sep 18, 2012
Right up there with the NERV Android Phone, Team Evangelion Racing has to be one of the more badass Evangelion crossovers we’ve seen. It’s got sleek cars decked out in Eva colors, a team of race queens cosplaying in sexy plugsuit-inspired outfits, and an exclusive lineup of Eva racing apparel for you to throw your money at—what more could a fan ask for!
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick1
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan2
- Women at World Wushu Championships attack each other at the speed of light3
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute4
- How to cook miso soup (the right way) in a few simple steps【RocketKitchen】5
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google6
- Hatsune Miku transforming race car robot is actually pretty awesome7
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return8
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours9
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence6
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art7
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues8
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?9
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google
- Hatsune Miku transforming race car robot is actually pretty awesome
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- Nagoya store’s lanky mannequin gets Naruto makeover
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’
- Clean up your game with these amazing Game Boy cartridge soaps
- Neko Montage! The most fun you can have with a cat and a sharpie【Photos】
- Adorable chicken traveller actually headed to nauseating final destination in series of promo pics